04/20/24 at 12:06:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Grid Bias ? (Read 6178 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

Grid Bias ?
10/08/15 at 15:11:33

I have been told that Grid Bias has a hard or percussive sound compared to Cathode Bias.  But I have also been told this need not be so when the Grid Bias is implemented skillfully. Can someone point me to a tutorial on this skillful designing of Grid Biasing; either in a web site, or recommend a book I might buy which makes a good explanation, or shows a well designed circuit?

IP Logged
k6wkd
Verified Member

Re: Grid Bias ?
Reply #1 - 11/25/15 at 18:24:57

Brian,
I am a new member and very new to audio.  In my effort to come up to speed, I have purchased a book titled Vacuum Tube Audio by Jerry Whitaker and published by TAB/McGraw Hill.  Chapter 4 pg 111 has a discussion that may be of interest.  Perhaps you can find a copy used for a more reasonable price than a new copy.

Ken (k6wkd)

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/04/15 at 03:10:43

Thank you Ken, for the recommendation.
I am trying to collect a few books on amplifier design, this may be a good one.

Brian

IP Logged
k6wkd
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 12/04/15 at 17:39:06

You're welcome.  Had a couple of other thoughts.  Per my elec. engineer friends, Terman's Electronic and Radio Engineering 1947, is the classic.  I have a copy and it is excellent.  In fact, much of the info in Vacuum Tube Audio is taken verbatim from Terman.  Also, the RCA Receiving Tube Manual is a great reference.  Both are out of print but I have good luck building my library from used book sources such as Alibris, Amazon, Barnes and Noble and a number of others.  Sometimes the "old book smell" of some books can be overwhelming in my small study.  I had thought the smell came from dust, mold etc and tried airing, freezing, sunlight, microwave, Lysol spray etc.  No luck.  Then with some archival research, I discovered that the smell is generated by the acids in the paper reacting with the cellulose causing breakdown, hence the odor.  As a remedy, I put the offending books in clear plastic vegetable bags from our grocer. I can still read the titles but the odor is contained.  Books printed on acid free paper do not produce the odor.

Good luck with your library building.
Ken

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/05/15 at 00:33:20

I will try to find Terman's Electronic and Radio Engineering 1947. Thank you, Ken for the recommendation.

Brian

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print