Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 15:05:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuses - Torii mk. 3 - an observation (Read 13070 times)
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Fuses - Torii mk. 3 - an observation
10/06/15 at 04:29:25

I just noticed that the owners manual for my Torii 3, says it has a 5 amp fuse... but my Torii contains Buss F3.15AL250V fuses... both of them.  My Torii has been across Zen master Steve's bench at least 3 times in its life.  Most recently in early '14 for Jupiter output coupling cap upgrades.  So I'm thinking... surely it must have the proper fuse/s in it.

You Torii 3 owners - what's in your amp?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Fuses - Torii mk. 3 - an observation
Reply #1 - 10/06/15 at 16:13:04

Mine, stock, was 5 amp. I have tried 6.3 amps, but liked 5s best when I was carefully testing them. Have not put in a 3.1, but if it has been working, it would seem to be even safer...right?

I tried a couple audio fuses from another MKIII user that were his preferred (sound-wise) 6.3 amp. Though not the same makes, I thought two 6.3s sounded denser than a couple audio 5 amp fuses. The 6.3s were a furutech and a hifi tuning gold, nice, but a little too thick for my system and tastes at the time compared to 5 amp hifi tuning supreme and a hifi tuning silver. Each audio fuse I have tried sounds different, so not a perfect test, but I heard the general difference between the 5 and 6.3 that was consistent.

So it may be worth a test. Just put in a 5 amp of the same type and see if it sounds different. Those normal fuses from parts stores are dirt cheap, so could be an interesting test.

I recall Steve saying fast or slow both work. I have been using slow blow.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/06/15 at 16:41:56

I doubt it is wise to EVER use a fuse rated larger than what is specified.
Pretty much a no-no in any electrical device.
Of course it will "work" but will not function to protect the circuitry as designed.
In fact I am also sure any warranty is null and void once you do that.
Smaller rating will just protect faster and might even blow for no reason but that is always preferable over not protecting at all.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/06/15 at 17:23:27

I agree, but I checked out the 6.3 with the "source" and at the time, he thought is would be fine. Also checked it out with PSAudio for my P5 since I had a 6.3 around, and they said it was fine for the stock 5 amp fuse position. Can't say what Steve might say today though so a good caution Core. I like 5 better sound-wise.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #4 - 10/06/15 at 23:15:33

I just realized... about 2 seconds after I hit "Post" when I started this thread, that I may know the answer to my own question.

note.... that my fuses are rated "250 Volts".  We all know that a device that, for example, draws 5 amps at 120 volts, will only draw 2.5 amps at 240 volts.  Double the electrical pressure(volts) reduces the electrical volume(current).

I don't know if this works the same way for fuses or not... but if it does... a 3.15 amp 250 volt fuse is really a 6.3 amp fuse at 125 volts... and since most of us USofA Torii owners have 110-120 volt, 60 hz AC power coming into our houses...  if we put 250 volt fuses in our components... their effective amperage rating will be twice that stated on the fuse.... maybe... I'm not 100% sure of this - I'm not an electrical engineer by trade.  However my son-in-law is a commercial electrician and works with serious AC and DC power... so I'm going to ask him.  I'll report back what he tells me.  

Looks like Steve is out of the office till sometime late next week, so I won't be able to get an answer from him till at least then.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/07/15 at 00:38:26

I'll try not act like an expert...  ;D  Because I am not.
But the voltage rating on a fuse is not the same as say a cap or resistor.
If the rating is 250V it is ok to use up to 250V.
The amperage rating does not change with voltage.
So a 3A fuse is 3A at 125V and 250V.

Written in a better way:
Quote:
1.  You may use a higher voltage rated fuse anywhere a lower voltage fuse is used, as long as the current rating is the same.
2.  The voltage rating DOES matter.  The fuses are designed to ensure that when a fuse blows, the result will not lead to an arc inside the fuse body.  (600 Volt rated fuses are usually ceramic insulated to withstand the additional heat and stress from the possible higher voltage.

3.  The current rating of a fuse is for AC OR DC.  It does NOT matter.  The "appearance" of a blown fuse tells you nothing about the type of current (AC or DC) going through the fuse, just the AMOUNT OF CURRENT flowing through the fuse when it failed.  A large surge will "vaporize" the fuse element, whether it's AC or DC.  A small amount of overload will often leave much of the element still visible, whether the current was AC or DC.

4.  The fusible element width, etc. is NOT determined by the voltage rating, but by the current rating.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/07/15 at 01:30:15

Yes, it seems 250V is fairly standard.

All my fuses, Radio Shack or Audio special are 250V, including the 5 amp one that came in the torii.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #7 - 10/09/15 at 03:05:09

Core32 is correct....

OK.... here's the deal, direct from "two" horses mouths.

My commercial electrician son-in-law says the voltage rating of a fuse only comes into play "after" the fusing element(wire) blows/melts.  
After the fuse blows, it then becomes the responsibility of the outer case of the fuse to prevent the voltage from arcing over from one end of the fuse to the other, thus bypassing the purpose of the fuse in the first place.  
So a higher voltage rated fuse is better at preventing this than a lower voltage rated one.
It is recommended and common practice to use a fuse with a voltage rating at least 2x the voltage of the circuit the fuse will be used in.

Per Zenmaster Steve... Torii should have a 5 amp fuse... only because if you turn on both sides of the amp at the same time, a 3.15 amp fuse may blow.  It does not need a 3 amp fuse at operational current draw.  He said, if you turn on one side of your amp at a time, a 3 amp fuse will protect it better and will not blow at turn on.

I unplugged everything from my PS Audio P5 regenerator and monitored the Torii's wattage draw at initial turn on, when the slow start mute circuit turns the music on and its steady state after the amp has warmed up.
The power fluctuation happens too fast to get a steady state read at
initial turn on, and when the mute circuit un-mutes.
But I can see something like 250-270 watts at turn on.  Then it drops quickly back to 150-170ish watts until it un-mutes.  When it un-mutes, it jumps up again very quickly for just a split-second to something over 200 watts and then settles back down.
After the amp has reached thermal stability, my Torii draws 153 watts steady as a rock per the P5.

I have my P5 set to output 118 volts, it's reducing not boosting, as we typically have voltage at our house over 120 volts, and it is not uncommon to see 125-126 volts.
So if we take the 153 watts draw of the Torii at 118 volts and assume a .9 power factor of the Torii's power supply(a guess on my part)... that equates to about a 1.4 - 1.5 amp steady state current draw.  
The Torii, being a class A design, does not draw more current as the volume goes up.  Idling or at ear-bleed levels, it draws the same current according to the meter on my P5.

I have never turned on both sides of my Torii at the same time in over 3 years... and thus I have never had a problem with the 3.15 amp fuses in it.

Now... let's talk "type" of fuse.  Ceramic fuses have a much better rating at stopping voltage arcing than glass cased fuses.  
So... if you really want to protect your investment... put a 3.15 amp 250 volt, fast-blo, ceramic fuse in it and turn on one channel at a time....

Yes I've tried boutique fuses... I "thought" they may have made a small improvement in a huge solid-state class A/B amp I once had, that actually had 4 fuses in it.  Two in each channel.  One fuse each on each leg of the power rails, positive and negative for each channel.  It had 12 amp fuses in these places.  When I was studying boutique fuses, I pulled the top off the case of this amp while it was operational and music was playing.. NO BS... I observed the fuse wire element of the glass cased fuses twitching/flexing to the beat of the music..!!!!  My audiofool pshyche simply could not accept this!!!!  So I bought some ceramic cased fuses, which are filled with silica, and thus the fuse wire is "damped" and should not be able to jump around - but you can't see into a ceramic fuse, so who knows - but it sure made me feel better and I was once again able to sleep at night.
Shortly after that I bought some boutique fuses... I thought they had a slight positive effect on the sonics of the amp.  If they really did or not - no one can say.  But since hearing is an "individual perception" and if you think you hear it - then you do - doesn't matter what anybody else thinks they hear, nor that nobody knows how to measure some characteristic of the sound.
That said... I have never even "thought" that I heard a boutique fuse make a difference in the sound of a component, if the fuse was simply in series with the IEC power cord socket, before the transformer or any other circuitry.  I don't even see, logically, how a fuse at the power cord input, before the power transformer possibly could have an effect on the sound.  I once heard the Zenmaster share this same opinion on boutique fuses.... And I tend to agree with him.  But there are those that would swear otherwise....  :)

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/09/15 at 12:16:43

Quote:
I don't even see, logically, how a fuse at the power cord input, before the power transformer possibly could have an effect on the sound.  I once heard the Zenmaster share this same opinion on boutique fuses.... And I tend to agree with him.  But there are those that would swear otherwise....

And this is why the arguments on the web about placebo effect ring so true for me.
If you just realize how many "filtered steps" back this tiny piece of 50/60Hz, AC current carrying wire is away from the sound producing components it is extremely unlikely to make a difference anywhere but in the pocketbook.
The fuse has no filtering effect of it's own unless it "does it's job" and that only produces silence!  :)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 10/09/15 at 14:51:15

I agree that it really makes no sense that a power cord or a power fuse would make a sonice difference at all.

But my own experience tells me they do. To varying degrees. And it may be that it is actually "the creating silence" part that seems to be the only real logical benefit. That and assisting current flow seem to be the obvious benefits. Tiny improvements in either may well be creating quite audible results in the final waves emanating from the speakers. Don't know. Just know I hear differences. Are they worth the cost? That is a totally different and more personal question.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/09/15 at 16:29:56

I dont know where this fits in with hifi fuses but here in the UK plug fuses never blow anymore, the main fuse box will trip out  :) before any fusing occurs. Not like the old days of having a stash of fuses.
I did have a little fuse go inside my mains sub a year ago so maybe audio gear still need fuses.
So, basically if anything shorts out, the fuse box trips out and you reset it, If it goes again you have to find the culprit.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/10/15 at 17:47:21

Yes. Audio-acoustic psychology is an interesting phenomenon. I usually look to other things when folks don't hear what I hear in my system/room (and my wife easily corroborates without even knowing what I am changing). Though there are cases when I can hear little difference testing things, this is a rarity, so I tend to find the placebo effect lacking in real merit from my personal experience. So I often wonder what would cause one not to hear what is clear in my system. The following come to mind:

Obviously, to hear subtle changes (that in my system can be sort of bigtime in terms of fleshing out the realness of music from a recording) the system/room has to be tuned to be very accurate and revealing. If the balance is off, or the information not there, it will make some things inaudible. That musical accuracy, complete in every way, requires a highly revealing system/room has been proven here countless times. And that it can and does continue to get better from a given point of amazing beauty also proves that we can be missing musical revelation without knowing it.

In any system, an IC, speaker cable, power cord, vibration, one tube of many, room reflection and resonance issues...any part or group of parts in a system/room can throw the balance, masking or truncating fine detail and other important information that exists in the recording but the system/room can't reveal fully and musically..... And here, if everything is not tuned together as a whole to this end, I absolutely will not hear all the musical information in balance, eliminating to various degrees the possibilities of natural and complete presentation.

Since I am often playing with tubes, I consistently experience the very same tube cutting or enhancing fine musical information depending on the other tubes it is with. The same input tubes with a darker/bassier tube set can easily throw the whole into a less revealing, off-balance presentation. Or the same tube with a strategically more open tube set can contribute to great beauty and revelation. And none of my tubes are not considered...all working together in synergy critical to the complete sound. I use no stock tubes at the moment, each one of the 8 positions I have tubes in being better for my system/room in their own ways, and having logarithmic effects as a whole.

In my constant explorations, in fine tuning and synergistically "waking up" a system/room, all feet, fuses, ICs, tubes, power cords, regenerator settings, amp settings, shelves and on and on.....all these have sound effects that can help or hurt revealing all that the system is capable of.

And this is not to mention the main things. If the info is not revealed by the source, or the amp or speakers can't reveal it, it is just not there!

If we do hear dedicated circuits, receptacles, power cords, power filters or regenerators making differences, is it not a disconnect to conceptually believe a fuse can make a difference with every bit of the power the amp receives coming through it?

Another obvious issue in hearing the recording fully could be that one just does not have the physical ability to hear fully for various reasons. And not hearing as well can make it really hard to tune a system/room to be able to reveal musical information fully.

Equally, if we have not tuned/trained ourselves fully to discern all the information with differentiation and accuracy, the information is less perceptible, making fine tuning a system/room fully a real crap shoot. If we can't discern what is not revealed in a system, it is hard to find it.... especially with bias/belief against whatever it is.

And this leads back to psycho acoustic stuff....With the devotion that denial of what others can hear so strong for many (often without ever having tried this or that in a revealing system and room) I guess I have to admit that Audio psych is a potential issue...But logically, that it only goes only one way makes little sense.

Whatever the reasons, my experience is that it is way harder to get a system/room to work together to be revealing of full musical potential than not! And if not, something is missing, perhaps something that makes fuses less audible.

Wink

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 10/10/15 at 18:28:29

Will,

I have no doubt that you hear things that I cannot.  Possibly with training I could improve my level, assuming that my hearing is not deficient or damaged.  Nevertheless, perception is conditioned strongly by prejudice.  A rough analogy might be going into a dark room with a flashlight and reporting on the 'elephant that you see there' versus reporting on 'what you see there.' After all, there may not even be an elephant in the room!  I think you do that latter while most of us the former.

I've read enough of your posts to gain confidence that you don't pre-judge much or at all but I don't give that benefit of the doubt to all -- or most.  Hearing is a complex ear/brain thing so it's no wonder that psychology comes in to play.  Didn't Jesus say something about listening but not hearing?  And not to forget, ignorance is often bliss.

There is a difference between masters and us laymen.  It's important to know one's own limitations.  It can save us lots of money by not chasing what we cannot hear.  (I'm only speaking for myself.)

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 10/12/15 at 17:00:55

Interesting thoughts Archie.

I guess I think most people with the desire and OK ears can learn to "listen" while "hearing." And for most it takes practice to get deep, but even more, it takes confidence to refine our skills.

At the same time, as I pointed to above, if something is in the way of a complete presentation, you or I won't be able to hear things in one system/room that we will be able to hear is a more revealing system/room!

Before getting in a disabling car wreck, I made pots for 35 years and we taught workshops a couple times a year. I think what made us pretty good teachers was that we were so excited about pots ourselves, the students "caught" our need to explore beauty. Then the methods we taught were useful to the end of creative discovery rather than as a technical means to an end. Like we see in audio circles, we can chase technical stuff forever and never really get there unless we are really lucky! Technical knowledge alone is not enough for art making or experience!

Over time it became clear that the most important teaching was helping to empower folks to trust, follow and refine their own perceptions and preferences. Then as creative process unfolds, honing preferences naturally enlivens what we make while our perceptive abilities come along for the ride. Repeat it over and over, and before we know it, we are gifted and skilled at the expression, but also the experience of beauty.

I think audio exploration is the same. Every listen is a chance to refine perceptive abilities, thus refining the musical experience. Sometimes articulate, and sometimes broader impressions, the gorgeous complexity of musical experience unfolds. In this we are more open and able to exploring tools to make our system/room better. And once we figure out how to trust this creative path, each new perception or improvement creates a new beginning, a new place to explore further from.

Digging in, we notice more, aspects that sound amazing, or a little off in the tone, timbre, detail layers, balance......We look at what we might be able to do to shift the musical experience to a better baseline....a tube, a wire, speaker placement, traps/diffusion, power cleaners, etc....

We continue the creative process by checking out what trusted sources have found to work that might help what we notice as needing attention. We experiment, shifting things around, or we get a new tool to try. Then whether it works or not toward "fixing" what we thought was the problem, we learn. And if it was a good tool, we often add layers and dimension to the music, creating another new baseline.

I think this is a fun way to refine a system/room while naturally training our listening discernment, confidence in our abilities, and pleasure. With enough desire and trust in our perception and discernment to get in the path, refining as we get better at it is inevitable.

But back to the other part...If there is something trusted ears can hear in their systems, but can't be heard in ours via honest, unbiased effort, there is probably something in the way...something limiting the potential of our system and room.

Personally, I don't keep things that do not make sense in value versus improvement. But at the same time, the less impediments to the system/room revealing all that is there, the more we hear. Beyond any psychology or subjectivity, this makes the same tools worth it in one system, and not it in another. Though enhanced abilities to hear will help us define the most efficient path to musical refinement, the system being better at getting out the music makes us hear more!

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #14 - 10/13/15 at 18:40:22

I am not of the strict objectivist camp by any stretch of the imagination.  I believe that power cords, speaker wire and interconnect wire and connectors DO make audible differences.  As do power line filters and regenerators.  I have my favorite of all of these types of “components”.  And it is also not a stretch to conceive and/or understand how any of these components can affect the sonics of our systems.  They have the ability to:
1) Shield EMI and RFI
2) Some can alter phase
3) Some can alter amplitude
4) Some can alter frequency
5) Some alter resistance
6) Some alter capacitance
7) Some alter inductance
8) most affect impedance
9) Some can do all the above.

However… fuses cannot do most of the above, and have a very tiny effect on the parameters they do impact.  They have next to no ability to impact any electrical parameter affecting the sound coming out of our loud speakers.  They only restrict current flow, especially when they are located ahead of the power transformer in a component, from which all power from the wall much pass and be filtered by.  In the case of a Torii… this happens “after” the fuse.  So we all have our own favorite super-sonic space modulated power cord, thicker than a garden house, 10 gauge conductors, spiraled, triple shielded, etc. for which after the A/C passes thru it, must be squeezed thru a piece of “alloy” wire not much larger than a human hair.  This tiny piece of wire can only pass that which it has received from our power cord.  It has next to no ability to alter the 115 volt 60hz A/C it receives.  
Anyway…. Will… if you think a given fuse, at the IEC power inlet of a component, before the transformer, imparts some particular sonic attribute to your system – then it does.  Hearing is an “individual perception” and if you think you hear it – then you do.  And if another listener does not hear it – then they don’t, period, end of story.  Nobody can prove or disapprove either party.  And neither party is wrong, and neither party is right.  I “think” I’ve heard fuses make a difference in other locations on other equipment I’ve owned in the past, but not at the IEC position ahead of the components power transformer. This is just my personal experience.  However, I did just pick-up some ceramic fuses for my Torii… I’ve yet to install them to see if I think I hear a difference……  And I have some HiFi Tuning fuses of the 10-12 amp fast-blo variety if somebody needs some of this high a rating… as I will not likely ever use them again since I’ve gone all tubular with Decware.

IP Logged
marcocolo
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 10/14/15 at 13:14:46

Dang Will!!!! You are sooooo good at expressing all this stuff. I copied these last 2 posts of yours and sent them  friends. Absolutely brilliant. I'm humbled.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 10/17/15 at 03:01:20

Wow, thank you marcocolo!

Maddog,

Theory can be interesting to me, but is less important than experience. So even if it is true that fuses have negligible measurable electrical effects you base your theory on, or others associated with metal type, wire thickness, damping, etc, the science now is usually no more than part of the reality, especially relevant in areas as complex as energy particle structure and activity. At the same time, the perceptions of the body/mind experience of music are way more complex and advanced than measurements based on our limited and relatively static "knowledge."

Sooo... in the nature of our ever-changing world, I doubt there is, or likely can be, an "end of story."

Relative to fuses in the IEC, I don't "think" I hear fuses. I and many others do hear them. My sound/consciousness perceptions are consistent enough to trust as real whether or not measurements can help describe causes of these perceptions. But, that my wife comes to the same conclusions with no knowledge of what she is A/B'ing in my system/room...this is a comfortable corroboration for me.

So I just can't agree that what I think is what I hear.

I do agree that I can't say what you hear or think from your experience in your system/room!

Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 10/17/15 at 12:42:05

marcocolo said:  Dang Will!!!! You are sooooo good at expressing all this stuff. I copied these last 2 posts of yours and sent them  friends. Absolutely brilliant. I'm humbled.

I'm in total agreement. I relish all that will contributes to this board (and off the board privately).

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 10/17/15 at 21:51:50

Thank you Lon! To tell you the truth, I am not sure I would have become a regular on this forum (my only regular one) if not for your considered views from your long experimentation and insights. Your steady presence gives a comforting reliability and foundation to this special forum.

Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print