Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 01:04:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High-Resolution Audio Demystified (Read 5127 times)
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

High-Resolution Audio Demystified
09/29/15 at 04:01:08

Audio Note DAC3.1 Custom modded to 4.1, DIY Duelund wire RCA IC, Offramp 5 USB SPDIF converter, Mac Mini, Amarra Symphony player,
Zen Mystery Amp. MIT Oracle speaker wire, Avalon Eidolon Diamond speakers. Coincident Statement preamp, Martin Logan Depth subwoofer
  IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Re: High-Resolution Audio Demystified
Reply #1 - 09/29/15 at 05:48:20

AUDIO MYTH -"DSD PROVIDES A DIRECT STREAM FROM A/D TO D/A"

THIS MYTH GOES SOMETHING LIKE THIS:

"DSD provides a simple and direct digital path between the A/D and D/A."

"DSD is simpler than PCM."

"DSD is not PCM."

While DSD can provide spectacular audio performance, all of the statements above are false. DSD is 1-bit PCM, and in almost all practical systems, it greatly complicates the path between the A/D and D/A converter. The name "Direct Stream Digital" or DSD is intended to imply that the 1-bit path is a simpler more direct path that requires less digital processing. This is completely misleading. There are only a very few specialized applications where DSD can create a simple processing path. In commercial DSD releases, the direct path is a myth.

There are many spectacular DSD recordings, but the quality is not due to any virtues of the DSD format.

MEASURED PERFORMANCE

DSD is a high-resolution digital audio format, and few recordings can fully utilize the SNR and bandwidth available in the DSD format. Nevertheless, the measured performance of DSD falls between that of the CD and 96 kHz 24-bit PCM. DSD can achieve a 120 dB 20 Hz to 20 kHz SNR with a usable bandwidth of about 50 kHz. For this reason, DSD is almost exactly equivalent to a 20-bit 96 kHz PCM system. Notice that I said "20-bit" and not "24-bit". In theory, a 24-bit system is about 24 dB quieter than DSD, but it is virtually impossible to use all of the available SNR in either system.

http://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/news/41262017-audio-myth-dsd-provides-a-direct-s...

Audio Note DAC3.1 Custom modded to 4.1, DIY Duelund wire RCA IC, Offramp 5 USB SPDIF converter, Mac Mini, Amarra Symphony player,
Zen Mystery Amp. MIT Oracle speaker wire, Avalon Eidolon Diamond speakers. Coincident Statement preamp, Martin Logan Depth subwoofer
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 09/29/15 at 14:26:54

I watched/listened to Mark Waldrep, in its entirety. He speaks the truth. If it is not natively recorded with all its natural dynamic range.....the rest is all just repackaged, BIT BUCKETED UP bullmalarky, labeled high rez.

I've touted this for years on this site. Take your CD collection and/or bit for bit files and put together a System to best play PCM back to your EARS with involvement. Plain and simple~that is what I have done, for me in my Listening Room.

Pick your Illusion. I am glad to have spent the money on "massaging" the Involvement. Dealing with what is on the DISC in PCM. When only 15% of content is Native out there......you need to live in the world the way it is...not the way you want it to be.

However, I do like to put a NATIVE Prof Johnson/Reference Recordings on or Ray Kimber IsoMike or Real HD-Audio.com.....and say: "wow, if all could be like this"!
Oh, and Jon Atkinson has come to Minnesota several times and made some decent Native recordings of Cantus. I also, go see Cantus as a Live Reference.
http://www.cantussings.org/

..................................but then, I have to come back to reality and deal with my 1500 CD's and produce them back in my Room with Involvement....so, I do. Obviously, through Decware, Steve's Output Stage on the ZDSD running PCM and Kimber Select.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/01/15 at 03:23:56

go out and download the itrax.com itrax/sprint sampler for $11.
i just did tonight and it's pretty damn amazing! there is a whole new world of TRUE high resolution awaiting...

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 10/01/15 at 16:48:07

I'll have to go through all these links later - but I will say this: There seems to be some confusion about DSD. IMHO - DSD 128 is the closest I've heard to the original Master Tapes. I've heard good PCM, but nothing to that level of near analog, tape like dynamics and detail as DSD 128.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/02/15 at 21:07:56

raven - you can download samples (5.1 and/or 2ch) for free and try them.  i don't even know what all these acronyms mean, but i know what i like to listen to.

i've listened to couple of steve's master tapes on his gear and PCM's on my gear.  they both sound real damn good.  never tried a dsd128 however.  like to hear all 3 on 1 system.... hint hint (maybe decfest)

anyway i like others are sick of the music industry acronym marketing BS!  buying hdtracks and 180g vinyl that sounds no better, and in most cases, worse than original cd's or vinyl.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print