Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 11:13:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tubes, tubes and more tubes ... (Read 11827 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Tubes, tubes and more tubes ...
09/23/15 at 00:29:24

Hi All, even though I've been rocking Decware amps for more than a few years now I really haven't been tube rolling all that much.  Recently I came into a $hit load of tubes from the awesome dude on these forums known as Pale Rider.  I'd like to try and sort out these tubes by the Decware amps that they will work with, but there seems to be some confusion (mostly on my part more than anything) because I just don't get all the naming conventions and it seems like one tube may go by more than a couple different names (heck, even some of the boxes that the tubes came in say something different than what's printed on the tubes), so any help would be much appreciated!

I was wondering if I posted them here (with pictures) maybe some of you tube gurus can tell me what they are and which amps they will work with?  Also, if anybody else has tubes and they don't know what they are or amps/preamps they'll work with they are welcome to post them in this thread as well.  I thought it could be really helpful to create a bible of some sort.

I will try to make a couple posts each day with as much info that I have on each tube and until I've gone through my entire inventory of about 92 tubes.  There's mainly 7 things that I'm looking for, (but if anybody else can think of important things to add please do so):

1. What Decware amps and/or preamps they will work with.
2. Other known alias/designations.
3. Years they were produced.
4. Country of origin.
5. Tube's position within an amp/preamp (i.e. rectifier, etc.).
6. What your impressions are of the tube's performance (if you have used it in one of your amps).
7. What they may be worth $$.

What say you ... can you help a fellow Decware brother out?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

274B (RCA)
Reply #1 - 09/23/15 at 00:54:23

Here is what I know:

Tube = 274B
Brand = RCA
Country of Origin = USA

Does anybody else know:

1. What Decware amps and/or preamps they will work with?

2. Other known alias/designations?

3. Years they were produced?

4. Tube's position within an amp/preamp (i.e. rectifier, etc.)?

5. What they may be worth $$?

6. What your impressions are of the tube's performance (if you have used it in one of your amps)?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

274B (O&J/Valve Art)
Reply #2 - 09/23/15 at 01:01:12

Here is what I know:

Tube = 274B
Brand = O&J/Valve Art (Cryoset)

Does anybody else know:

4. Country of origin?

5. Tube's position within an amp/preamp (i.e. rectifier, etc.)?

6. What your impressions are of the tube's performance (if you have used it in one of your amps)?

7. What they may be worth $$?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Tubes, tubes and more tubes ...
Reply #3 - 09/23/15 at 02:42:58

The top RCA looks like a 50's 5U4G-ST in construction, but I have not seen an RCA 274B, so can't be sure. See if there is marking on the tube saying the tube type. Usually an RCA 5U4G glass is marked. If it is a 5U4G it works with Toriis, Rachels, CSP, Taboo, Super zen....If not, and a real 274B, it is supposed to work, but Steve did not used to recommend them as the amp caps don't match well with them electronically, causing quicker tube failure if I recall correctly. When a rectifier goes, it blows the fuse, hopefully before doing any other damage.

The bottom, a Valve Art 274B. This particular 274, Steve once commented they were more-or-less a 5U4G-ST and have shipped with lots of the Decware line amps mentioned above. See the Decware amp page...many pictured with this tube. Cryo'd tubes tend to give a little more of what the tube has to offer being quieter/cleaner.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: 274B (O&J/Valve Art)
Reply #4 - 09/23/15 at 10:39:12

beowulf wrote on 09/23/15 at 01:01:12:
Here is what I know:

Tube = 274B
Brand = O&J/Valve Art (Cryoset)

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj492/beowulf1966/IMG_2146_zpssf5e7yo9.jpg

Does anybody else know:

These will work in the preamps and any of the amps that Steve indicates would use a 5U4 or 5Y3.

As Will notes, these are more a 5U4 type internally than a classic 274B.

Valve Art introduced these in 2010 or 2011 I believe. After trying one and seeing Steve's fondness for the tube I asked Ron of Cryoset to consider cryonically treating these and selling them and he decided to.

4. Country of origin?

These are Chinese tubes.

These are rectifier tubes.

I have used/tried these tubes in my Toriis, CSP2, CSP2+, modded C amp, and ZP3. In my system they impart a big, bold sound, very clear and clean, different than the RCA 5U4G tubes I favor, less warm and forgiving.

Cryoset.com sells these for 25.99 each.

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_82&products_id=364&osCs...

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/23/15 at 22:51:48

@ Lon and Will, thanks for the awesome info!  I know know that 274B and 5U4G are somewhat similar and can be interchanged with caution.

@ Will, yes on the 2 RCA's that I have one of them is marked as 5U4G, the other tube has no markings, but looks exactly the same so I'm thinking it rubbed off or something.

Interestingly, I have 2 other tubes where the box says Tube Store Preferred Series and the tubes are stamped "tubestore.com 274B preferred series" with no other markings, but after checking the tubestore website they are listed as 274B/5U4G and seem be from China/Shuguang.

I have most the info on these:

Tube = 274B/5U4G
Amp = any amps Steve indicates a 5U4 or 5Y3.
Brand = Shuguang
Years = seem to be current
Country of origin = China
Position = Rectifier
Price = 31.95

but has anybody heard them and what were your impressions?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 09/23/15 at 22:56:32

My guess is that these are the same or similar Chinese/Shuaugang tubes to those Vale Audio "selects."

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/23/15 at 22:57:56

Thanks Lon, that is what I was thinking as well.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/23/15 at 23:27:55

Ok, guys this helped me a lot, I have my 274B and 5U4G tubes squared away.

Here is an oddball that I only have one of and here's what I know:

Tube = GZ33
Brand = Mullard
Country of origin = British Made
Year = 1959

Does anybody else know:

4. Country of origin?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/24/15 at 01:20:45

For a start, I think I recall Pale Ryder wanting to compare the 274B Select tubes with Cryo Valve Art?......I think these are Shuguang Select 274Bs, a tube some folks have liked and thought was better sounding than the Valve Art do to the selection process refinement. You would have to compare, and remember, these two particular 274Bs are not in the same category as some of the famous older 274Bs where I think the voltage from Decware amps is a stress. These both should be more 5U4G-like according to Steve's earlier posts.

This is an interesting chart for some of the rectifiers. http://www.300guitars.com/articles/rectifier-tube-voltage-drop-chart/

Looking  at this, that Decware can use such a range is cool.

That last tube, a Mullard GZ33 is a rectifier also, likely between a GZ32 and GZ34 voltage-wise, both of which work in Decware amps made for 5YG-5U4Gs. Mullards from this time are famous for beautiful tone. Worth a listen if you have an amp that needs only one rectifier.

GZ34/5AR4 tend to be an open, articulate, fast, dynamic sounding rectifier with tightish bass. GZ32 are mellower, less pushed but open and tight performance also. I use these in my Torii MKIV and I think Lon does in one of his MKIIIs. I think the GZ33 should be quite nice.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/24/15 at 22:24:40

Thank you Will for both your impressions on the GZ33 and that link is really helpful as well so I bookmarked it to use as a reference!

Ok, up next is a set of tubes I know little about as they did not have an original box or many markings.

Here's what I know:

Tube = CF2C (possibly OA3)
Country of origin = (possibly Russia)

Does anybody else know:

4. Country of origin?

Thanks in advance for any feedback guys! Cool

IP Logged
KP
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 10/05/15 at 16:56:42

I love this thread.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 10/05/15 at 18:02:24

I am not sure about those VR's beowulf. I have seen Russian OA3 and OC3 looking basically like this. They vary in terms of getter flash (the silver in the glass) depending on construction. Some net searching might help. OA3 are VR75 I believe. The stock tubes with Toriis are OA3s, and though Pale Ryder may have been experimenting with other VRs since his MKIIIs worked with OB3, OC3, and OD3, my guess is that his guess of OA3 is correct.

These are not costly tubes, and many find them super clean and a little characterless compared to some other VRs. But as with all tubes, vintage and construction matters, and finally it is synergy. I think Steve ships the MKIV with Russian OA3, and he works hard on voicing, presumably combining some level of reliable availability and cost considerations as aspects of his choices.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 10/07/15 at 10:13:26

I believe your assessment is correct and these were probably experimented with PR's Torii MK III.  I'm going to call these OA3's and bundle them with my other OA3 types for now, but I'll look into this tube a little further and see what I can find.  Really big help Will, greatly appreciated! Cool

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 10/07/15 at 16:06:31

Yes. And beside the Toriis, I think Pale Ryder has/had a Decware Ultra Preamp which uses four OA3.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print