04/25/24 at 14:25:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Weekend Audio Tweaks (Read 5081 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Weekend Audio Tweaks
09/14/15 at 14:26:07

I did a few experiments which I thought were interesting enough to post.

1. I have always had a very good soundstage in my room, but have always wanted the soundstage to reach out further into the room.   It depends on the song, but I really wanted more reach out into the room from the diffusers I made/bought.  

In one of Paul McGowan’s posts he mentioned collapsing the depth of the soundstage by simply flipping a diffuser he had behind his speakers to face the rear of his room as an experiment.  Well, if it collapsed it by flipping it around, I thought it might expand mine if I put one a few feet behind the horn opening on my cabinets.  Big wow moment.  Now the soundstage really reaches out into the room.  You experience the hall/recording environment a lot more.  Songs which were good are now better.  Like Cowboy Junkie’s Trinity sessions (did you know that album was recorded with s a single mic?).  Anyway, there is no doubt that you are sitting in that church.  This tip may aid any rear ported speaker.

2.  Jeff from Jeff’s place talked about making interconnects out of the Western Electric 16g wire so I thought I would make up a pair.  These were made out of used wire that I bought from the eBay guy who still has this wire and they obviously have some miles on them.  Interestingly enough, I did find them more transparent than the Belden microphone wire interconnects.  They are a touch less warm than the Belden ICs, but the transparency is there.  I am going to continue experimenting.  

3.  I got out an old linear power supply and dialed it from 5v to 6v and took it over to Raven’s house for a quick listen on his Uptone Audio Regen.  He is using the stock SMPS that comes with the Regen.  On my last visit I could hear a clear difference with the Regen in the system.  Many on the Computer Audiophile site say the unit also benefits from a LPS.  Well, it clearly does.  What I heard was tighter, more realistic timbre from the bass for sure.  Eric thought that the vocals sounded more natural and sensuous.  If you are computer/USB based, I feel the Regen is a worthwhile tweak, even on a high end DAC like the PS Audio Direct Stream.

4.  Based on the inspiration of Beowulf’s system pictures, I bought a new shelving unit.  No difference in sound that I can tell, but it’s sure nice to have more room to put stuff.  I can now have my TT in the system at any time.  Not that I listen to that much vinyl, but it’s nice every once in a while.

I am looking forward to the Decfest warm-up CDApS meeting at ProggRob's house on the 20th.  We'll hear a UFO Zen and some interconnects and maybe a few speakers.  We will have a new member or two!

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Re: Weekend Audio Tweaks
Reply #1 - 09/14/15 at 14:45:21

Really cool. Hearing deeply into the recording makes me just want to listen for hours and hours.  Its such a high to get that much information through one sense.

NAD 516/316 - Klipsch speakers. Complete cable looks by belden, kimber, monoprice.
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/16/15 at 04:40:38

@ Palomino ... OK, so lets see those pics! Cool

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/16/15 at 14:31:13

I am in the process of painting my isolation platforms and stryrofoam diffusers.  I''l post a picture once it looks half way decent.

I will post this picture because it shows one of the most profound tweaks in terms of soundstage that I have done.  

I don't exactly know why it works.  It may be as simple as the sound out of the rear horn diffuses and creates a bigger soundstage.  Maybe others can get this simply by having an open corner behind their speakers.  I have to have 8" bass traps (4 2" panels stacked together) in the corners because of small room bass issues.

Anyway, it makes for a huge soundstage.  Last night as a test, I played a test track off a Chesky disc called general resolution and soundstage test (or something like that, sorry).  Anyway, its the track where a small group enters from the right rear corner, come up to the mike, circle it and leave to the right of the mic.  Absolutely huge.  I got the best circling the mic sound I have experienced yet and when they left to the right it sounded so far outside the speakers it made me chuckle in amazement.  It sounded like the exits was 40 feet away.

I'll continue to experiment with this.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
astro-chris
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/06/15 at 12:39:19

Very cool!  Did you buy the styrofoam diffusers, or are they DIY?  Having something really light that could easily be placed behind the speakers for a critical listening session and then tucked away somewhere out of sight when not in use would be great.
Thanks,
Chris

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/06/15 at 15:43:05

I bought them on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Acoustics-FD-240-Fractal-Acoustic-Step-Diffuser-Pane...

What you are seeing are actually the inverse of the actual diffusers that are hung in a 5 panel array across my back wall.  They ship in the Styrofoam block they are cut out of.  The positive fits into the negative.

You are supposed to discard or recycle the inverse, but another forum member felt they had some sound diffusion or scattering properties, so I figured why not try them.  After trying them, I agree with him and am using all 5 inverse panels in various places in my room.  

If I ever get around to it, I will paint them so they look a little nicer.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/06/15 at 15:45:20

By the way, I played that soundstage test track mentioned above in Steve's room during the fest and it was pretty awesome.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print