Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 18:05:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
5Y3GT as rectifier tube on TABOO mkIII (Read 579 times)
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

5Y3GT as rectifier tube on TABOO mkIII
09/01/15 at 11:06:32

I recently bought four NOS RCA 5Y3GT rectifier tubes from Doug's Tubes.  Prior to that, I used to use NOS RCA 5U4GB's on both my TABOO and SE34I.2+.

With the 5U4GB, TABOO (listened through an Audeze LCD-2) lacked a bit of bass and the mids sounded slightly muffled.  Despite the fact that I still loved the sound of the amp, I wanted to give a try to the NOS RCA 5Y3GT, upon suggestion from a reviewer on head-fi.org.  

The 5Y3GT has made the already great sounding TABOO reach another amazing level of fidelity.  The bass has become much more prominent and tight, yet more balanced in comparison to the 5U4GB.  The mids opened up significantly and instrument separation is much clearer now.  The sound stage is higher and deeper, and the slightly muffled mids have left their place to a non-compressed yet analog-like warmth.  I listened to the system only for half an hour or so, but it felt like the fatigue from the cans would be much less.

By the way, both lucid modes were off during my listening session.  The other tubes are the stock 6N1P and SV83s that came with the amp.  

Next will be listening to the SE34I.2+ feeding a pair of Rega RS-1 speakers with the 5Y3GTs...

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Re: 5Y3GT as rectifier tube on TABOO mkIII
Reply #1 - 09/07/15 at 11:55:35

I have been listening to my SE34I.2+ with the 5Y3GT's for the last week or so, after I tried them on my TABOO and had great results in terms of overall balance, bass response as well as 3D image.

Very similar results to TABOO...  Bass became so much better with the 5Y3GT's.  The music sounds more transparent with a very nice sound stage.  The instruments came a little forward and it sounds as if the band (or the orchestra) is in the room!

The other tubes I am using on my SE34 are the stock 6N1P's and a pair of EHX 6CA7's.  The system involves an Apple TV streaming music from my main server, a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100, and the SE34 feeding a pair of Rega RS-1's.  The only issue is I am using this for very late night listening in bed and therefore I am afraid the Rega's will never break in fully!

But as far as the rectifier tubes go, I am done with rolling!  NOS RCA 5Y3GT's they are...

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: 5Y3GT as rectifier tube on TABOO mkIII
Reply #2 - 09/07/15 at 14:02:14

I find that 5Y3GT work best in my CSP2, CSP2+s and ZP3. . . just most natural and rich sounding, and I use recordings I made myself of bands I played with and recorded at the close of the 'eighties as my reference fof these things---I know the sound of the room and instruments etc.

I've settled on RCA being the best to my ears, at least in those I've used the last two decades, and the oldest one I have seems to sound the best. I hope it keeps going and going.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print