04/25/24 at 11:07:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rethm Speakers (Read 506 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Rethm Speakers
08/14/15 at 03:43:39

I'm a fan of single driver speakers and I've always wanted to hear a pair of Rethm's offerings as they are very unique looking and you can tell a lot of work goes into them.  

I was reading a review on 6Moons and on the older Rethm speakers they used tweaked Lowther drivers, albeit not the same way Steve does, but they use a means to try and get to the same place.  In fact Steve D. is referenced quite a bit in the Rethm review.

At this point Rethm is using their own drivers which has supposedly brought them up to a higher level at price points that couldn't probably be done if they weren't built in India.

I don't care for the Rethm website, but their US importer has good information on them, the 3 models they offer and placed a bunch of reviews up for them as well here: http://worldwidewholesales.com/product-category/rethm/

Anyways, has anybody heard these and what were your impressions?

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Re: Rethm Speakers
Reply #1 - 08/15/15 at 03:07:57

Beowulf...I have never heard Rethm speakers, but have always admired their aesthetic.  They are works of art.  Beautifully designed.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/18/15 at 23:42:29

Very cool and modern, yet retro looking at the same time.  They were using and modifying Lowther drivers, but at this point they are making their own drivers and are said to have surpassed the limitations of what they could do with the Lowthers.  

Next audio show that is close to me I'm going to try and check them out if they will be showing.  I've spoken to the Canadian Importer and while of course he is biased, he is also a fan of Omega speakers so he has some valid input and he says they are on the same if not better level than Voxativ and AER MK 1 drivers, which is saying a lot since these are very expensive speakers and revered drivers, but the Rethm are less money of course as they are made in India.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #3 - 08/20/15 at 04:11:50

never heard of them, never seen them at RMAF or any place I've ever been.

But CrossOverLess, high-efficiency, full-rangers are "where it is" - driven by Decware amplification.  Nothing is more life-like, realistic.. or I haven't heard it yet.

If you get a chance, have a listen to some Audio Nirvana drivers, implemented as their design/owner suggests/recommends.  Paired with a Decware amp(I've used the SE34 and Torii), they are as good as anything I've ever heard, at any price - got me off a 30+ year merry-go-round of looking for the holy grail of audio.... They sound good with all tube amps I've tried, but there is a special synergy w/the Decware Torii.  
And the AN drivers don't require a second mortgage to acquire either.  There are a few places out there building finished speakers using the AN drivers... but dudes... it just isn't that hard to build a decent box...or buy an old pair of speakers with blown drivers and start there.  Or pickup some flatpack speaker cabinets from Parts Express...

or go open baffle.. it doesn't get any more simple... see Randy In Caintuck on this forum.  Extraordinarily good sound - simple is better.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/20/15 at 13:32:48

"But CrossOverLess, high-efficiency, full-rangers are "where it is" - driven by Decware amplification.  Nothing is more life-like, realistic.. or I haven't heard it yet."

I agree!
There is something about full-rangers that just pulls you into the music.
I keep trying different speakers but keep going back to my Fostex 166-ers back loaded horns.  8-)

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/21/15 at 00:07:09

I have to agree as well, the single driver and tube combo is pretty magical.  There are a lot of things that multi drivers can obviously do better, they can (most often) go higher, lower and louder and sometimes even with more finesse ... but there is something special with the single drivers that is lost whenever I replace them with other multi driver speakers in my setup.  So I will give up all those other things that multi-drivers can do, just for the things that a good single driver can.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print