Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:56:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taboo With Loudspeakers? (Read 14534 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

Taboo With Loudspeakers?
08/12/15 at 18:37:19

Are any of you using the Taboo Mk III with loudspeakers?
On the Taboo catalog page, in the paragraphs titled ORIGINAL LUCID MODE and NEW LUCID MODE we read:

ORIGINAL LUCID MODE
"… the original lucid mode was developed for loudspeakers in the 4 to 8 ohm range.  The effects of lucid mode change with impedance so when heard on 50 ohm headphones the imaging gets much tighter with a strong center image out in front of the listener rather than inside his or her head.  This is a very pleasant way to listen when you're in a non-invasive mood."  

NEW LUCID MODE
"With the NEW Taboo MKIII we've kept original lucid mode unchanged and fully in tact.  But then we developed a second lucid mode targeted at the 50 ohm range of headphones like the LCD-2 that would in harmony with the first.  Since the first lucid mode is almost like listening in mono, the second becomes a dynamic expander that explodes the size, width, depth, and scale of the music making it instantly engrossing.  When both modes are used together, the amount of detail retrieval from your recordings is simply unbelievable.  In fact, we should have called it the "wow" switch because that's what everyone says when they hear it."

I am wondering about this "the second circuit becomes a dynamic expander that explodes the size, width, depth, and scale of the music making it instantly engrossing.  When both modes are used together, the amount of detail retrieval from your recordings is simply unbelievable"
     Do you get this effect when using loudspeakers with their much less impedance than phones?
Have you tried an extra high impedance loudspeaker; either one of the old 200 Ohm from the 1950s or else something modern with multiple drivers wired in series?

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Re: Taboo With Loudspeakers?
Reply #1 - 11/14/15 at 08:09:30

Brian,

I started using my TABOO in my bedroom system with 8-ohm Rega RS-1 speakers till I receive my SE84UFO.  The original Lucid mod open up the sound a little bit, giving an impression of slightly increased volume and more shimmer and sparkle to the cymbals.  The second Lucid mode exemplifies this further, but I personally am not a big fan of it to start with and (with my Audeze LCD-2, I keep both mods turned off) and I did not prefer it much with the speakers either.  It seems to make the low mids a bit more floppy and less focused for my taste.

I have been listening to this system for the last week or so, and on and off.  If I start hearing something different, I will definitely report...

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/20/15 at 06:48:32

Hello Alper,
I failed to see your comment until today. I thank you for the reply.
It is good to get an assessment of the Lucid mode. I have wondered if I would like it.

Brian

IP Logged
stoutblock
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 03/20/16 at 22:12:21

I have been running a Taboo MK III with a pair of ADS L420 speakers.  In my small office listening room I am totally pleased with the results.  As I also use this amp for my LCD 2.2 phones I sure wish Steve would have added a speaker/phone switch as I get tired of having to unplug and plug when I want to switch between the two.  Also wish he offered balanced inputs on the Taboo like some of his other amps.  True balanced all the way through from my DAC to my phones would be great!

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/16/16 at 14:07:43

I have been having trouble keeping an eye on this thread.  I am sorry stoutblock to have taken so long to see your post.  

I am glad to hear you like the Taboo with your ADS speakers. May I ask, Do you prefer it with or without Lucid mode?

Brian

IP Logged
stoutblock
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 06/17/16 at 17:34:38

^^ I don't use either of the Lucid modes.  Kind of a neat effect but not what the sound engineer intended?  ^^

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/18/16 at 05:03:31

Thanks, stoutblock.
I would like to hear the Lucid mode. I don't know if I would prefer it or not.

Brian

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 10/06/17 at 15:45:40

I'm now running my Taboo Mk III with Trapezium speakers. A great match, with and without the CSP2+ as a preamp. I like it with the CSP2+ best as there's more volume and "oomph" and also I'm able to adjust balance, which helps in the current loft location.

I admit I hadn't tried the Taboo Mk III with many speakers other than these. I did spend quite a bit of time driving Peachtree Audio bookshelf speakers. These actually sounded top-notch, the tweeter is especially nice, but did not get loud enough being very inefficient. And I drove the amp briefly with my HR-1s. . . without a preamp. . . and the sound was great, but lacking low end weight to balance out the sound.

With the Traps I get more than enough volume with the preamp in the signal path, and the sound is wonderful in all important ways. Great for a bedroom/second system.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JAG
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 10/07/17 at 03:45:58

I am using the Taboo Mk III with a pair of DNA's in a small (10x12) room, and a Violectric 281 as a preamp. The sound is quick and clear, especially on solo piano and vocals. I did try using the Taboo without the preamp and felt it was working too hard, but I am quite happy with the current setup.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 12/10/19 at 14:23:15

I'm back to using this Taboo Mk III as an amplifier for speakers again. I had been using the Taboo Mk IV with the 25th anniversary mods to drive my original pair of HR-1s in my audio-visual system, but wanted a headphone amplifier for my musical system and so I moved the Mk IV into that (the Mk IV is one AMAZING headphone amplifier, but in the audio-visual system I am using the CSP3 with the 25th anniversary mods for headphone use, which is also an AMAZing headphone amp).

I was concerned at first that the Taboo Mk III would seem immediately "inferior" in important ways than the Mk IV that it is replacing, but. .. well the Mk III has taught me an important lesson. No, not at all inferior--different instead. And using and adjusting the amplifier with the CSP3 with the 25th anniversary mods and a ZBIT and a ZROCK2 I am getting fantastic sound. The Mk IV with the 25th anniversary mods in this system has a darker, deeper sound, but with the excessive low frequency energy in video content these days the Mk IIIs brighter presentation allows me to a bit more easily steer free of distortion levels while maintaining impact sensation. The large living room/dining room area is easily filled and music also sounds dynamic and detailed, perhaps perceived as a bit more lively and a tad less "precise" than the Mk IV.

To think, I was considering selling this amp. No longer. For both headphones and speakers it's a very satisfying amp. I find it particularly sensitive to rectifiers and one can experience many different "flavors" of amplification by rolling rectifiers. At present my best sound for this system is using a Sophia Electric Aqua 274B in the Mk III and a Type 80 globe from Cunningham in the CSP3 with the 25th anniversary mods.

I don't find I need the Lucid Mode(s) when using this amp with the HR-1s: these speakers are so "atmospheric" that the straight signal delights without alteration.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print