Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 18:20:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SUB speaker level connection (Read 5291 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

SUB speaker level connection
08/12/15 at 13:21:47

Hi! I currently feed my SUB though the line-level preamp outs from the Mini Torii into the SUB, via some SUB cables. Is there an advantage of using the speaker wire connection directly into the SUB instead?

How is this exactly done? I have two pairs of speaker wires, so I could set one pair for the mains coming from the amp's output posts and another pair to the SUB's speaker input posts. Is that how it is done?

Thanks for any orientation.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Re: SUB speaker level connection
Reply #1 - 08/12/15 at 14:02:12

Just an opinion here because I don't have any data to back it up, but I believe the way you have it now is actually a much cleaner path.
If you use the speaker connects to the sub, you've now added the complete Mini Torii amplification component path, speaker wire, connectors and then what ever internal circuitry the sub uses to tap the signal off the speaker terminals into the sub amplifier input.
It's possible you would get some added musical benefit going through the Mini's amp stage but not in my experience.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #2 - 08/12/15 at 21:40:08

FB- I used to only use the line level approach in my old system (non-Decware) but now with the Rachael>Omega 7XRS & Omega 8'' sub I run speaker line. Louis felt it was a better approach, it presents almost or no load on the Rachael and sounds really really great. Let us know. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/13/15 at 02:43:52

Hi Fireblade.  Yes, it's as simple as you describe.  Connect an additional set of speaker cables from your amp to the speaker level connections on your sub.  The impedance of the sub speaker input is very high, so there isn't any impact on the amp/main speakers, but the sub will take on the character of the amp, which can help with integration.      

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #4 - 08/13/15 at 12:26:31

core32. hdrider and Dave1210, thanks all for your valid inputs. I think I'm going to give this a try during the week-end. I'll post my impressions.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/30/15 at 21:25:26

Quote:
Quote form Decware Mini Torri page:

A special preamp output is provided on each channel should you like to drive a slave amplifier such as is common when bi-amping speakers. This output is tied to the Mini Torii's volume controls and retains full signature of the amp, including tube choices.  This makes the slave amplifier sound like your Mini Torii for a more seamless blend and far better imaging!

Fireblade,

I find Speaker Level connection to my subs provides superior integration compared to line level using my Super Zen. The quote above is from the Decware Mini Torri page so there might not be as big a difference with the Mini?

Just curious if you have had time to compare the two connection methods ??

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #6 - 08/31/15 at 11:14:37

DBC,

Unfortunately, I can only listen during week-ends and I was quite busy checking out the (Yggdrasil + ZBit) vs (Yggdrasil by itself) while enjoying great sound in both settings. Since the Yggdrasil puts out nice bass, I was not too concerned with the bass configuration, but I sure will try it this coming week-end, as I may be missing some further improvements. Thanks for the reminder, I'll post my impressions then.

In relation to the well-known statement from Steve on the Mini's Pre-Outs, I believe only the preamp stage (before amplification) is passed through those outputs and therefore the output tubes' signature may not even be present there. That is another reason I want to try speaker level connection. I may be wrong, though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print