Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 04:05:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I need additional help! (Read 6248 times)
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

I need additional help!
08/11/15 at 07:50:39

I'm having trouble getting my speaker cable spade off a plastic binding post(it slips) of my SE84CS amp. I've tried pliers but don't want  to ruin the post if possible. I've posted this in the SE84CS Forum but only got 1 reply! Any help is appreciated & thanks in advance!  Kelly

Decware SE84CS X 2 (CCE-mod); Decware RL-3s; Decware Interconnect cables; ZenStyx speaker cables; Stax CA-Z Preamp; Stax SR-X Mk III Earspeakers; Pro-ject 2.9 Wood TT; Soundsmith SMMC2 Cart.; JBL Sig. Series Loudspeakers(vintage, '70); etc.
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Re: I need additional help!
Reply #1 - 08/11/15 at 13:20:07

If I understand this correctly, you are saying the plastic top part of the binding post just spins and does not loosen up to remove the cable spade off the binding post?
The plastic binding posts have a metal insert inside them that is splined and bonded to the plastic knob. If it spins, see if you can pull up on it and just take it off. If you can do that then just grab the insert with pliers and remove. If you can't just pull it off, try to use a flat screwdriver and pop it upwards. Use the spade to pry against or get a small piece of wood to protect the finish and pry up.
See if that works.

IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #2 - 08/11/15 at 13:35:21

When I have problems loosening the binding post I found out that if I push the speaker cable spade counter clockwise it will loosen up the binding post.

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 08/11/15 at 14:34:01

Those are two good answers, and exactly what I was going to say.

Good luck!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 08/12/15 at 01:23:30

Another thing to try would be tightining a worm screw clamp around it to collapse it inward. Maybe then you would be able to turn it far enough to loosen it.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Reply #5 - 08/12/15 at 08:12:12

You guys are awesome, thanks!!! I will  try these in the morning!

Decware SE84CS X 2 (CCE-mod); Decware RL-3s; Decware Interconnect cables; ZenStyx speaker cables; Stax CA-Z Preamp; Stax SR-X Mk III Earspeakers; Pro-ject 2.9 Wood TT; Soundsmith SMMC2 Cart.; JBL Sig. Series Loudspeakers(vintage, '70); etc.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 08/12/15 at 22:58:28

Did anything work?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
KellyB

If you can't enjoy
the sound, it's just
noise!!!

Reply #7 - 08/14/15 at 08:55:12

I was able to pry up & off the outer plastic section & rock the spade loose, but haven't been able to loosen the metal sleeve(piece)! I might  have to make my parallel wire with  banana plugs so I can use the left amp in mono & be able to use both amps!!! Has any body purchased a pair of the newer binding posts lately, l can install them, but was wondering  if  the price($30) per amp has increased? Maybe Steve will read this? Again, thanks  for all help! Kelly

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 08/17/15 at 17:42:31

Hi Kelly,

Today's Zen's have a chassis that has been lengthened by 1 inch and have the volume control relocated to the front so that we could upgrade the plastic speaker jacks to be consistent with the rest of our line.  Sadly these large heavy duty jacks will not fit in the older models without relocating the volume control the front.  

If the amp is sent in, we can update the jacks, locate a new volume control in the front and test it out for around $200.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print