Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 22:18:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZP3 vs PS Audio GCPH direct to Torii MK III (Read 7370 times)
Bryant
Verified Member

ZP3 vs PS Audio GCPH direct to Torii MK III
07/30/15 at 17:38:22

Hey all,
New to posting, been lurking (about 3-4 years) for as long as I've been an owner (Torii MK III, MG944's).

I've been running a stock PS Audio GCPH for years now, and I'm happy. I went with it so that I could skip a pre-amp stage and go direct as it has a volume knob.

But, I have the itch to 'upgrade' as it were. To that end.

1. Would the ZP3 be considered an upgrade?
2. Can I run the ZP3 direct into the Torrii.

I'll be using a ZYX Airy 3x-SB MC, which has an output of .34mv (5cm/sec), described in print as needing "A quiet, high gain front end to get the full measure of this fine cartridge". Not sure which setup  I'd need 1,2 or 3.

Thanks for any/all advice.

edit: not sure why this keeps showing up under 'important messages' and not in the 'board topics section'.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Re: ZP3 vs PS Audio GCPH direct to Torii MK III
Reply #1 - 07/30/15 at 18:23:17

Hey Bryant,  ZP3 into Torii no problem. But, I believe you will need a SUT between them. Steve D can tell you which is best for you situation. As far as being an upgrade I cannot say. But, I am very very happy with my zp3 running w/ ortofon 2m blk cart.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 07/30/15 at 19:21:18

Bryant wrote on 07/30/15 at 17:38:22:
Hey all,
New to posting, been lurking (about 3-4 years) for as long as I've been an owner (Torii MK III, MG944's).

I've been running a stock PS Audio GCPH for years now, and I'm happy. I went with it so that I could skip a pre-amp stage and go direct as it has a volume knob.

But, I have the itch to 'upgrade' as it were. To that end.

1. Would the ZP3 be considered an upgrade?
2. Can I run the ZP3 direct into the Torrii.

I'll be using a ZYX Airy 3x-SB MC, which has an output of .34mv (5cm/sec), described in print as needing "A quiet, high gain front end to get the full measure of this fine cartridge". Not sure which setup  I'd need 1,2 or 3.

Thanks for any/all advice.

edit: not sure why this keeps showing up under 'important messages' and not in the 'board topics section'.

I have a GCPH and a ZP3. When brand new the ZP3 seems a clear upgrade, after a few months of use/burn in and dialing in the ZP3 is clearly in a league apart from the GCPH. The ZP3 is one of the finest components Steve has ever designed imo. I also think you may need a Step Up Transformer. . . Steve would have the best answer there.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JAG
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 07/31/15 at 00:30:33

Bryant;
I have a ZP3 running directly into a Torii Mk III and I'm very happy with the SQ. I have a 0.3mV low output cartridge so I do use a Bob's Devices passive SUT.
I don't think you can go wrong with this Decware combination.

IP Logged
Bryant
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 07/31/15 at 15:08:17

Thanks for the responses.

I'm happy to hear this, as I'd like to keep my systems forward momentum in the Decware family/synergy of things.

Lon, I don't want to put you on the spot with sonic descriptors, which are always hard/subjective, especially since we have different systems upstream/downstream and/or rooms. But, what is your biggest take away (each units innate sonic DNA that would probably carry thru, regardless),  from using the GCPH compared to the ZP (btw do you still have/use the GCPH in a system? I assume it was also stock)?

I plan on keeping the GCPH for my 'hand me down' system I have in another room.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 07/31/15 at 15:19:10

I'd say the biggest difference is in "brightness" level so to speak. The GCPH seems thick and rich, darker. The ZP3 is sunnier and quicker sounding. And this can be accentuated or attenuated with tube rolling, but you still have a sunnier disposition with the ZP3 and it seems a bit more detailed and dynamic as a result, lighter on its feet.

I still have the GCPH. Was using it infrequently in my bedroom system but that has been dismantled and at the moment it's not in use.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print