Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:39:26 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Headphone Calibration Controls (Read 8634 times)
JohnnyB

Headphone Calibration Controls
07/29/15 at 15:58:41

Hi All,

I just procured one of Steve's CSP3's and am going to use it as a preamp for a newly built Dynaco-70.  The question I have is in regards to the Left and Right headphone calibration controls, what setting should those be on when using as a preamp?  The documentation says to turn the main volume to about 1/2 and then adjust the Left and Right Output controls but nothing about how to set the headphone controls along with the Output controls.  Any help would be great!!!! Cheesy

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Headphone Calibration Controls
Reply #1 - 07/29/15 at 16:55:28

JohnnyB -- I use a CSP3 in front of a ZMA.  If you refer to the product page and the lettered picture I use the following settings.  Part of this comes from Steve and part from my experience with the amps.

Master Volume (H):  Just slightly back from full

Headphone Cal Controls (B):  Full on

Output Controls (C): 2 o'clock to 3 o'clock.  Also used to balance speakers if imbalanced.  These can be set between clicks.

I use the volume control on my ZMA between about 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock.  I find if I use the ZMA at full and the CSP3 Master Volume to control the listening level I get more HUM from my speakers.

I added knobs to the posts on the CSP3 to help with making adjustments easily.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/02/15 at 17:52:14

In my system I like the output at 1-2 o'clock and headphone cal at 2-3 o'clock.  For speaker listening.
Play around with it for a month or so.... You'll figure out what u like.
Love those little knobs Smiley

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #3 - 08/03/15 at 15:59:41

Thanks for the suggestions, i really do appreciate it.  I now have a starting point to begin my quest for the perfect settings  :D

Archie,
What type of knobs did you add to the posts?  It would be easier if they were a little bigger.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/03/15 at 16:41:18

JohnnyB, I bought my knobs from Digikey.  The link shows their smaller knobs which I used on my CSP3 input and output posts.  I bought a taller knob for the Master Volume.  Search their sight and you'll see lots of options.  Stick with the 1/2 inch diameter knobs though so you'll have enough space between the knobs and the tubes.

I also put these knobs on my ZMA bias posts and master volume.  I like the clean black look, the index line and the ability to grab with my fat fingers!

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv91=329&pv183=6711&pv73=37&pv76=469&pv...

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #5 - 08/03/15 at 18:24:33

Thanks Archie!!!  These will help immensely, especially if putting the CSP3 in a cabinet.   Smiley

IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #6 - 08/05/15 at 17:23:38

Archie,

Did the 1/2" diameter knobs fit around the Master Volume knob or did you need to change that one to 1/2" as well to make everything fit?  Thanks!! Smiley

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/06/15 at 16:52:49

I took off the stock knob and replaced it with a 1/2 inch diameter knob.  You need to get knobs that fit over a 1/4 inch post.  I'm not sure why Steve doesn't put index lines on his wood knobs.  Originally I put a line on the wood knob but I like the look of the 1/2 inch black knobs better.  My master volume knob is taller than the input/output knobs too.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/06/15 at 21:02:13

I looked at my CSP3 and the stock wood knob would work with 1/2 inch knobs on the other controls but it would be a little tight.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #9 - 08/12/15 at 16:56:50

Archie,

I placed an order from Digi-Key yesterday for (5) .50" knobs to replace the master and get something i can grab on the other 4 controls.  Thanks for the suggestion!!! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print