Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:33:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First non-Decware ears to hear the TORII JR (Read 12658 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

First non-Decware ears to hear the TORII JR
07/29/15 at 00:27:46

Breaking News!!!

6:26 P.M. Lonely Raven is hear listening to the Torii Jr.!

Steve  [smiley=10.gif]

WWW   IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Re: New TORII JUNIOR amplifier for Summer!
Reply #1 - 07/29/15 at 00:33:05

Is LR there for the AA meeting (audiophiles anonymous)

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/29/15 at 12:13:24

He was on special CDApS assignment to seek out new things decware and report back.  A zenfest preview, if you will.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 07/29/15 at 15:42:12

Cool. Spill the beans LR!  :) Smiley Smiley

I look forward to hearing it at Decfest.

HI Steve, to make sure, I want to book my Hotel; Decfest is the first Friday, Saturday and Sunday in October (2nd, 3rd & 4th this year) = no change from previous years, correct?

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 07/29/15 at 19:24:57

Really not a lot to tell - I showed up with a CDApS amp that needed a repair (tube socket issue we think), and Steve had the JR warmed up and playing. What chatted for a long while, saw the (super-smart) granddaughter roll through and say HI, and we listened to some of Steve's tapes.

I really didn't give this thorough listen with A/B between different amps, but right off it reminded me of the Mystery Amp, just without so much grunt. I liked it better than the monos I listened to almost two months back, but Steve wasn't done with the mono amps yet and has been focused on the JR during this time.  With 20 watts, decent speed and an honesty that reminds me of my Mystery amp - this amp is a no brainer at this introductory price. I'd have to A/B it to be sure, but I think right now I'd take it over Palomino's Torii III. To me, this is more a Mystery Jr.

I said that to Steve and got a "huh" out of him. He did mention the Square Wave on the scope looked almost identical to the Mystery amp - so I guess the "honest" part of the amps are pretty similar.

So yeah, it sounds like I need to talk some of my CDApS brethren into selling off a spare Rachel and maybe going for a JR.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 07/29/15 at 19:31:18

Steve was also nice enough to let me borrow his Zen CD Player. I only have it for a few days, but I'm going to listen to the XLR vs the modified RCA and see what I think about it. Put it up against my $1300 Oppo. We're hoping to get a CDApS meet going before this needs to be returned.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 07/30/15 at 04:29:43

LR, we do own the ZMA THAT CASTS a mighty big shadow! Thanks for your first impression of the Jr.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 07/30/15 at 12:44:24

It was pointed out to me by CDApS members that saying I'd take the JR over Palo's Torii III sounds kind of lack luster.

Seriously, I called it Mystery Jr. That's what it sounds like to me. I'm blown away that this quality of sound can be had at this price point.

But I try not to get overly excited about something - it's really rare that something Wows me to the point where I have to drop everything and tell people. The Mystery Amp was that way for me. I've had the Mystery Amp for a year and a half now (wow time flies!). So maybe I'm just so used to this high level of excellence, that having an equally high level of excellence roll up isn't that WOWing to me. But seriously, this sounds like a small Mystery amp to me, and at half the price!

Would I give up my ZMA for this? Hell no, are you on crack!

Would I recommend this for someone that wants a great bang for the buck 20 watt amp, and doesn't yet have a Torii? Absolutely!

Would I recommend Palomino ditch his Torii III for the JR? I'm not sure I'd recommend that with out a good A/B comparo. The reason being - (example) I really like the smoothness of the Rachel amp. If I *needed* or wanted that sound, well then I simply need to have a Rachel. My ZMA can't do what a Rachel can (and very much so vice versa). So IMHO he needs to give these two amps a side-by-side and see what suits *his* needs.

So, sorry I'm not swinging from the treetops shouting about this new amp - it is truly amazing - but I have a ZMA - it's really difficult for me to be impressed when I already have the best.   Smiley   I would not hesitate to recommend it to someone who wants that Mystery Amp Honesty, at less than Torii pricing!

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 07/30/15 at 13:31:19

Well put LR. I don't like EL34's and never will. So, it did not surprise me that the Torii IV evolved with KT66's (rule). Most use the 66's in their Torii 3's (NOW).

For me as well, I need the honesty of the Zen Mystery Amp with my CSP3 in front of it. I have my Auralic Vega coming...so I can't complain all around!

Only thing I'm Jonesing for is a Pass Labs! Trying to make my Christmas present to me an:  Pass Labs XA-30.8 class-A stereo power amp.  Point-8!

http://renohifi.com/PassUsed/PassUsedInStock.htm

Can it dethrone my Zen Mystery Amplifier with Ediswan Inputs!?  I will see (hear).

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder (@ -20 Ref Level @ 16/176.4)

AURALiC Vega D/A processor.....coming!

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC .....for Input Tube)
WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
***NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 in my A12 an B12 positions***

Kimber Select KS3033 Speaker Cable
Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/120 ~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 07/30/15 at 14:39:24

Stone - now that you mention it, I caught myself forgetting that the Jr *isn't* a KT66 amp, it really sounded that good. But something about the bass kept making me think "different, but I can't place why". Now that you've reminded me, I'm betting it was the EL34 that made the bass sound "different" to me.

Again, I didn't do an A/B to help me clearly define differences between this and the Zen amp - so I can only go by my audio memory - which is really good at some things, but sucks at others.

Edit to Add: Has Steve said anything about the Jr being able to take KT66 or not? I don't think the power supply is up to the task honestly - big tubes, big current.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 08/03/15 at 15:59:12

I bet it sounds really good. I was going to get one for comparison over a years time. However, I am so pleased with the ZDSD/CSP3/ZMA combination..... .

The only thing I want to challenge is the ZDSD (PCM) with my Auralic Vega (PCM). Also, with and without my CSP3 (Vega direct to ZMA using vol control and Vega thru CSP3 to ZMA).  

Will I sell the ZDSD and/or CSP3 (probably not)? I will do some ADDA recording with the ZDSD and if the CSP3 can be removed from my chain.....I should keep it for Headphones in the future.

Furthermore, after more research on the Pass XA mentioned above, I'm passing on the Pass.....ZMA rules here.

**....and I will add, the Vega is going to have to match or exceed Steve's ZDSD modified output stage...for the Vega to stick around. I will pound the malarchy out of it for 30 days straight. Its volume attenuation needs to impress me too.
**Even if you're not into the recording aspect of Steve's ZDSD...it is an impressive DAC with his output stage ~ period. One heck of a value too!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/03/15 at 18:31:56

Stone, if you're into Decware sonics and curious about the Pass Labs stuff, you may want to skip Pass Labs and look at Papa's First Watt offerings.  (Not sure how much if any improvement has been made, but I've abx'd a Pass Labs amp -XA30.5- with others, and it's more of a typical, clean, ordinary ss sound.  We couldn't tell the difference between that and Crown and NAD power.  The First Watt jobs, on the other hand, are voiced, some quite SET like, others less so.)

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #12 - 08/03/15 at 19:07:43

Thanks for the heads up ski bum. My experience has been the same as yours with SS. Might as well be a Crown or a NAD etc... . So, that is why I use a Rotel Preamplifier & Emotiva in my downstairs Rig.

Yeah, from what I've read...First Watt (some units have more of the emotion)....I'm sticking with my Decware.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #13 - 11/11/15 at 00:37:30

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print