Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 23:41:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PI Audio ABB1 Foam Difussors (Read 3894 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

PI Audio ABB1 Foam Difussors
07/22/15 at 20:50:49

Just a note to report I'm quite happy with these.

I first tried them half a pair on each side wall, at second impact, and the other pair on the back wall, without good results. Then, I tried a whole pair, both panels side by side on each side wall at first impact and what a change!

More micro-detail and larger soundstage.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Re: PI Audio ABB1 Foam Difussors
Reply #1 - 07/22/15 at 21:27:26

Hey Fire,  Good to know they made the journey to you safely. I have 1 pair PI's on back wall 1st reflection. And 1 pair behind the speakers with GIK 2' x 4' x 5" bass monster absorbers between these. I have a window centered behind the speakers that I need to fill with a 45" sq panel (absorber). Then I can decide if anything further is needed.....and the beat goes on!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #2 - 07/22/15 at 21:50:50

Nice! The problem in my case is the huge cost mark-up these bulky panels cause due to air freight shipping and handling: From the point of origin all the way down here is 130%, or the addition of 1.3 times the original price on top of that price  ... Ouch!)

So, next ones are going to be built here somehow  ... either wood or whatever. Need to check all the possibilities since these devices really work.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #3 - 07/22/15 at 21:56:58

Fireblade,

Interesting that you got the ABB1 and not the QRD.  I myself have been intrigued by the ABB1 in particular because of website comments around effectiveness with open baffle speakers.

Did they give you any information on these in regards to frequency effectiveness, design considerations, etc?  The website offers no information, and this type of diffuser seems unusual compared to more common QRD and Fractal designs.

Rob

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #4 - 07/22/15 at 22:49:41

When I discussed my needs with them, they described both configurations, stating in my case and in most cases for that matter, the ABB1 worked better and offered the following explanation:

The re-radiation patterns of the AQD and ABB1 are very different.  The AQD has a cylindrical (in parallel with the cells) pattern and the ABB1 is randomized pattern derived from a primitive root equation.  Its pattern is vertical in relation to the cells.  Our third diffuser - Mr. T , is a 180 degree pattern version of the ABB1.

Having different characteristics, they all have applications where they perform their best.

ABB1 - is perfect for behind the listener applications and the best all around room treatment choice.  Same for Mr. T .

AQD1- used as a centered treatment between and slightly behind the face of the loudspeakers can give a wide, deep and specific soundstage.  Placement and speaker toe in work together to create the desired soundstage.

So far I like the sound improvements and need to plan a way to get more of that without the mark-up stemming from the logistics.

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #5 - 07/24/15 at 17:05:13

Thanks Fireblade.  This is valuable information.

Rob

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print