03/28/24 at 10:04:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HQ Player (Read 5673 times)
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

HQ Player
07/18/15 at 22:01:36

Does anyone have experience with the HQ player software?  

http://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

The below comments from the PS Audio forum sparked my interest (comments from Ted B over at Computer Audiophile)

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/yale-beta-test/page-15/

2) USB from JCAT card (HQplayer NAA pc running WS2012 and AO; being fed music from the HQplayer music pc running WS2012 and AO…and Synology NAS, all via fiber optic networking).  The DS had no issues seeing the JCAT card (top port, powered).

2a – ASIO mode (PCM 352k upsampling only).   The Windows driver allows HQPlayer to run ASIO for PCM, up to 352.8k so I upsampled everything PCM to that.  The results were basically identical to native PCM through the Rendu, with maybe a smidgen less detail.  (I don't find this PCM to be a step back from PP or 1.2.1 at all).

2b – DoP mode (DSD128).  In this standard driver mode I found a real sense of what Yale can do when I upsampled everything (PCM and DSD) to DSD128 (specifically 5.64Mhz) within HQPlayer.  It made my previous listening moot!  The DS now enters the world of great DSD dacs, and the tonality, ease, sense of air and space, yet coupled with dynamics, solidity, PRAT, and weight….makes this setup my got-to for this new firmware'd Directstream.  It's really not close, if you are paying attention.  Redbook favorites like Gillian Welch's Harrow and the Harvest sounded newly discovered, with a weight to all the images in the soundstage, whether they be banjos or David Rawlings' great mix of guitar accompaniment.  DSD64 material sounds smooth and effortless, but with plenty of dynamics and punch when needed (and it's been needed ).

An Audiophile Optimized Windows Server 2012 environment, with HQplayer playing into Directstream's newly acquired DSD128 strength…well, that is a combination that, on first impression, is almost magical in its musicality.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: HQ Player
Reply #1 - 07/19/15 at 18:27:07

I've downloaded the demo, but haven't had time to set it up on the music server. That post sparked my interest as well.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/19/15 at 22:39:51

LR...Are you using Windows Server 2012 and Audio Optimizer on your server?  Would you recommend both?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 07/20/15 at 17:50:58

I like server 2012, it was easy to setup, and Audiophile Optimizer helps drop it into core mode, automatic login, and all that stuff. So it's helpful/useful.

I honestly can't say I hear a big difference between AO optimization and without it. However, I did notice a drop in apparent noise floor when I switched from Windows 7/8 and Server 2012 in Core mode. So there is something to be said for different OS, and how AO helped me dial it in to make it easy.

I didn't really have any big Oh Wow moments with this setup, but I did hear some improvements overall. I also feel Server 2012 and AO combo is rock solid compared to Windows 7/8 on the same systems.

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/20/15 at 19:12:51

The way the WS2012/AO combination gets talked about on some forums would suggest it is magical.  

My MacBook Pro w/Audirvana and SSD sounds the equivalent of my PWT connected via I2S.  According to some, the PWT isn’t that great a transport, but I haven’t heard better on my system.

I also don’t have a Windows computer lying around to start tinkering with the trial version of WS2012, etc.

Have you ever compared your server to Pal’s Mac Mini with LPS?  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 07/20/15 at 19:37:38

I've talked about setting Pal up with a laptop and my WS2012/AO setup so he could play with it himself - but we've never really done a side by side. It's kind of difficult to do an A/B with all the configuration that needs to be done - so it takes extra time just in setup, let alone testing.

I'm not saying the combo isn't magical, it might be - I really just don't have anything to compare it to. Alrainbow at the PSA forums was going to loan me a PWT so I could give it a proper head to head with my server, but he lost interest or forgot so I just let it go.

Also, keep in mind, something needs to really be a WOW improvement for me to jump up and down about it. Last night I heard a $300 XLR vs a $500 XLR and yes there was an improvement, but unless it's an OH WOW improvement I typically just shrug it off and report my findings. So it does take quite a bit to impress me.  :)

Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #6 - 07/20/15 at 21:21:55

Have you guys already tried JPlay6? Heard good things about it and may give it a try soon ...

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print