Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 05:20:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
REL Sub Owner's Unite! (Read 25148 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

REL Sub Owner's Unite!
07/17/15 at 17:03:21

Whom Owns, one or two or three of them? I can't remember whom I conversed with about this a few months back? I could do a Search and also look at Signature's. However, I figured I would do an new Post.

Considering purchase of the REL S5. Supposed to be sublime integration with 2 channel Hi-End. REL interests me with their quality interface from Speaker Inputs of my ZMA through Neutrik Speakon Input that is 10 meter's long-providing plenty of cable to move around the Room for proper placement.

http://rel.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/SerieS-Manual_061614-2.pdf

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RLS5

Plus, a Sub should be under utilized to get Sublime performance. I figure I need a Sub of at least this caliber to be happy.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: REL Sub Owner's Unite!
Reply #1 - 07/17/15 at 21:07:29

Well, the Indra IC is now blowing my mind! I'm completing/expanding the mind blowing Landscape/Soundstage, by ordering the S5! Firing diagonally from the right corner placement.....with some adjustment..... . Neutrik connection of course.

This should hold me for awhile.

Everyone have a great weekend! Music is the universal language that cuts through the dogma of mankind.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/18/15 at 15:59:25

Stone...I have a REL S5 in my system.  It's connected to my ZMA exactly how you describe, via Neutrik, and it works flawlessly.  I have a "biggish" room and a single sub loads the room nicely.  The sub blends seamlessly with my mains and was very easy to setup.  It really doesn't call any attention to itself.  Once you get it blended it, live with it for a while, then  turn the volume all the way down and you will be very surprised how much it is actually doing and how much it improves/fills out the sound.  

I can repost pictures of my room from the CDAPs thread so you can see how it is positioned.  I have mine located outside of the left main, slightly behind the front plane of the speaker, but in front of the corner bass trap.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 07/18/15 at 17:27:12

Yes! You have the S5=cool.

Dave, please do post those pic's. I would like to see how you have yours set up-thanks. I will follow your lead and the manual instructions that state from the left or right corner as you have yours-firing diagonally into the room...moving out in increments/volume and x-over adjustments too.

I hope to be able to achieve a seamless fit for it. I'm in a smallish room, which I prefer.

Talk about a high value Sub! If I can't get it to integrate well in my Listening Room-I have a plan B for the S5 in my Rig downstairs. However, first and foremost, I want it in my Listening Room.

ZMA Speaker terminals to Neutrik in S5 is sweet. Even if I only use it for about half of my Music Listening....looks to be a Lifetime ownership Sub!

I'm glad to have you enjoying it from a ZMA!  Bodes very well! Of course, my Speaker's and Room are the determining factor's.

After just purchasing the Stealth Indra v8 IC and getting the S5....I'm putting a 1 year moratorium on myself = no hardware purchases for a year, only Music!

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder (@ -20 Ref Level @ 16/176.4)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC .....for Input Tube)

Stealth Audio Indra v8 RCA IC/1 meter

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier (NOS/Platinum/Matsushita/National PCC88/7DJ8.....in A12 an B12 Input Tube positions)

***NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 pending in my A12 an B12 positions***

Kimber Select KS3033 Speaker Cable
Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)

REL S5 Sub coming! (Neutrik Speakon connection)

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/120 ~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

Decware SE84CS (NOS Svetlana SV83's from 1980's-not the New Sensor knock-offs) ...when SE Pentodes run in Triode/Decware Style...needs to be in the System!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #4 - 07/18/15 at 21:58:53

Dave, I'm going to get the REL G2. The Remote will be sweet to have. Adjustment from Listening chair = priceless!

This means I have to return/exchange my Indra, but when my 1030 is as good as it is....no worries.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/18/15 at 22:06:13

Stone...I was considering the REL sub with the remote, but honestly you don't need it.  I set the volume on the sub and forget it.  IMHO, there really isn't a need to constantly adjust it.  Also, since you are in a smaller room, the S5 will be more than enough sub.  I'm by no means an expert, but this is my experience.  Anyway, food for thought...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/18/15 at 23:06:40

Here is my setup

image_032.jpg
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/19/15 at 01:29:25

Quote:
Dave1210 wrote:

Stone...I was considering the REL sub with the remote, but honestly you don't need it.  I set the volume on the sub and forget it.  IMHO, there really isn't a need to constantly adjust it.  Also, since you are in a smaller room, the S5 will be more than enough sub.  I'm by no means an expert, but this is my experience.  Anyway, food for thought...

Dave,

I'm with you, Sub remote is not required if you are set-up properly. I had a couple of Velodyne's over the years. Finally realized the remote was simply a crutch to work around room & set-up issues instead of solving the root cause.

As you know you have to have a Sub designed to be musical rather than just Low Brute Force. For me the biggest leap forward was placing my HSU 15" Sub and HSU 12" Downward Firing Mid Bass Module on Isolation Platforms. This dramatically reduced unwanted room interactions (wall and floor surface vibrations). The Subs sensitivity to placement is virtually nonexistent now also. I just have to be off the side & front wall by at least a Foot to avoid exciting them.

I listen to everything from Acoustic, Electronica, Rock, Blues and never feel an urge to touch the Sub volume.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 07/19/15 at 17:37:31

Great pic Dave....nice System.

Dave & DBC, you're probably right. It would be overkill for me with the G2 and using the remote as a crutch and always messing with it I suppose. Plus, I can get the S5 plus have a grand left for a pair of Headphones I like.

DBC, the REL S5 has the passive down firing, so what is the name and link of the Sub Platforms you have again? The issues you mention it can solve right out of the gate for me will be great. Plus, if I remember right they are affordable!

Cool, thanks guys for your input.

PS-DBC, I'm buying two Platforms. Finally put one under my HSU MBM that is in my SState Rig downstairs. I have the MBM behind my Recliner Chair!  MBM is always on (Auto).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/19/15 at 20:22:54

Stone,

SubDude II works well on the Mid Bass Module.
SubDude HT is a bit larger to fit your new REL sub.

Sweetwater has good prices, fast & free shipping: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=subdude&Go=Search

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 07/20/15 at 15:57:09

Cool, thanks DBC.

I am getting either the G2 or S5.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 07/20/15 at 17:09:32

If I were to buy a sub, I'd get a Rel

But I just build them for myself.   Smiley

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #12 - 08/23/15 at 15:57:08

Got to admit....that is awesome LR!

However, I have a big Rig too....downstairs for all that and love it as well.

Now, the Listening Room is a different experience. As you know and you are moving to a smaller room to create some magic. I am already in a smaller room and know its magic.  I think you're going to like it.

I have a REL T5 coming. From all accounts, this is quite the musical Sub. I should get it to integrate nicely with Neutrik connection from ZMA.

Cheers!

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

~AURALiC Vega D/A processor~
1.5 MHz PCM....in Filter Mode 4 with FEMTO EXACT Clock in from Transport. She's a keeper!
Sometimes I use Filter Mode 1.....for flatter extended Treble.

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder (@ -20 Ref Level @ 16/176.4)
(.....will be sometimes rotated in~great machine)

Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC .....for Input Tube)

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
***NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 in my A12 an B12 positions***

Kimber Select KS3033 Speaker Cable
Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)

REL T5 SUB, Neutrik connection from ZMA

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, Auralic Vega or ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/120 ~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #13 - 08/23/15 at 16:17:14

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubDudeII

Sub Dude II coming!  Thanks DBC.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/23/15 at 16:28:35

Stone, you'll like the result of adding that Sub dude to your sub woofer or speakers.  I currently use one under my Omega Deep Hemp Sub and the difference was  not subtle....the bass was tighter and any trace of Boominess was greatly reduced.  I also used them under a pair of bottom ported Omega Alinco 6XRS speakers where they also made a noticeable improvement.  Now they are under a pair of HR-1s in the listening cave.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #15 - 08/24/15 at 14:24:50

You bet Mark. I should have them both installed by Friday. The T5, when called upon....will be all that is needed.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #16 - 08/27/15 at 16:35:11

Received both the Subdude II and the T5 yesterday/Wednesday.

I never installed a SUB before with this much ease and integration!

Testament to the T5 and Subdude. I should pull the Subdude out to hear.....but I have it all so locked in.....not gonna do it.

I'm set.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #17 - 08/28/15 at 19:36:03

Dialed in baby!

21 inches out diagonally from right corner wall/a little bass trap-age behind it. Set at its lowest setting 30Hz, Phase 0 degree's and at 60% volume. In room response has to be at 30 or a little better!

Dialed in with Adagio's and Rocking Lenny Kravitz, "Let Love Rule"!

So true.....so true...... .

Next: down to the bone - cellar FUNK!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 08/29/15 at 03:37:59

Stone...glad you have the REL dialed in.  In my system I thought it was too easy as well, but that's the beauty of the REL.  And it adds a foundation that improves the soundstage and impact without issue in my room because of bass traps, etc.  Sounds like you are in a similar spot...Enjoy!

IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #19 - 11/09/15 at 22:29:54

Stone,

I hate to resurrect an old post, but I'm curious about how you connected your sub to the ZMA.  Did you use a banana and the bare wire, or did you just place the bare wire on top of a spade connector on your speaker wire?

Dan

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 11/09/15 at 22:38:48

Auguie, either way should work.  I use just bare Western Electric 16g wire on both ends with the speaker cables terminated with spades on both ends...works fine.  The most important thing is to use the speaker level connections.  from what I've read it is far superior especially with tube amps.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #21 - 11/09/15 at 22:53:03

Thanks Mark...that's what I figured.  Just wanted to be sure of the connection, as I'm considering a REL T5 or T7 for my room to mate with my HDT's.

\Dan

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #22 - 11/11/15 at 22:09:59

Stone,

If you don't mind my asking, what made you change from the S5 to the T5?  

Dan

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #23 - 11/12/15 at 01:29:04

Hi Dan, I use the bare wire on top of my now spades. I chose the T5 because for my size room....it is the perfect size.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #24 - 11/12/15 at 21:53:56

Makes sense Stone.  I have a small room as well, 14 1/2 x 15 1/4 x 7 3/4 high, and I think the T5 will do the same for me.  Let us know if you do decide to try the sub in your room without the SubDude.

Dan

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 11/13/15 at 01:27:04

Dan, I haven't read all of this thread but if you are trying to decide if you should use a sub dude with your sub...yes you should!  There are lots of posts about it, just do a search.  DBC turned me on to it and then, after using the sub dude with my omega deep hemp sub for a while, I added them under my speakers.  the effect is most noticeable under the sub...it tightens up the bass and makes it clearer...ie less boom.  Sweetwater has free shipping, great customer service and good prices...I think they were $60 each.  Mark.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubDudeII

IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #26 - 11/13/15 at 23:12:43

Mark,

Here's my problem...I'm not sure yet if I need the SubDude in my room.  The carpet and pad is over a concrete slab, and I was looking for conformation on the improvement Stone obtained.  It makes total sense to me that the SubDude would be a GREAT addition to my set up, and I will consider that when I buy the sub. I was just looking for some confirmation I guess.  Either way, a SubDude will be on my radar when I get the sub.

Thanks for your input...It is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Dan

IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #27 - 11/13/15 at 23:14:43

BTW Mark...I have purchased from Sweetwater in the past, and they are a GREAT company to work with and buy from.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 11/13/15 at 23:19:57

Dan, I originally thought the same thing but DBC gave me links to an explanation of how concrete conducts vibrations quite a bit even when covered by a pad and carpet...as in my room.  I'll look for the thread where DBC and I discussed this and put it below if I find it.

I can confirm that the result is not a subtle one...even on concrete covered by carpet. Well worth the $60 investment. Is the Sub you're getting bottom firing?  Mark.

Here is the thread from March 2015 when I bought my Omega Deep Hemp Sub... https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1427663671

Post #12 talks specifically about Concrete and Vibration...  Hope this helps...

IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #29 - 11/15/15 at 17:31:36

Mark,

The sub I am considering is down firing, and thanks for the  input on the Subdude. Your opinion on the platform and DBC's posting from Auralex makes a lot of sense. And an added $60 won't break the bank, and looks like it will be a great and wise investment.

More to come....

Dan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print