04/19/24 at 07:12:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power cords (Read 11510 times)
marcocolo
Verified Member

Power cords
07/06/15 at 15:57:02

Have any of you noticed any sonic improvements w/ aftermarket power cords on any of the Torii amps? Steve says that because of the tube coupled power supply that it's not so important. Any first hand observations?
I've got a Torii on the way and want to maximize it's capabilities!
Thanks.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Power cords
Reply #1 - 07/06/15 at 16:14:25

I didn't notice any change with my ZMA but others here have very different experiences with their equipment.  However, I do sleep better knowing I have that base at least partly covered!  :)

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 07/06/15 at 16:39:00

I have to say I've tried about five different power cords on my Toriis and they do make a difference. This may because I use a PS Audio power regenerator (used to be a Premier now it's a P5) but they do subtly change the nature of the sound. After a lot of (expensive!) experimenting I have my whole main system set up with PS Audio power cords. And have PS Audio, Decware, and Analysis Plus cords in use in my other systems (which are soon to be dismantled. . . may be selling cords and components and cables in the near future).

Anyway, if you just want to get a "really good" cord for you Torii, order the Decware cord. You can do better, dare I say even in some cases "significantly better" --- but you have to PAY far more.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/06/15 at 22:53:28

I posted this some time ago, scroll down to Reply #3 for photos and more detail of the Pangea AC14SE MKII power cords.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1428424370

Good quality cord IMO. One thing I really liked were the choices of multiple lengths so you don't end up with 6 feet of cord all coiled up when you only need 3 feet or less.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
marcocolo
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 07/06/15 at 23:01:36

Would you guys say these different cords sound better or just different?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 07/06/15 at 23:22:29

Well, certainly better than the cord the Torii will come with. And probably all different from each other. Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
marcocolo
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 07/07/15 at 00:47:23

Darn. I've been with a totally off the grid SLA battery powered system  for a few years now. I really want to try the Torii but am dreading the spending of good money on all this extra stuff that has dubious returns.  :-/

I really didn't like that part of the hobby.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/07/15 at 01:16:22

I bought the Decware power cords for all my Decware stuff.  I figured if it was good enough for Steve, I wouldn't be able to complain.  At the time I had a 15% off coupon so it took a little sting out of it.  One thing I've learned from this Forum is that there is no one perfect solution and that often the subtle gain isn't worth the dollars (for me) required to achieve it.  Check with Palomino.  He tends to find pretty good low dollar solutions.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
marcocolo
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 07/07/15 at 01:26:15

I assume Palamino is a member here?
I must say that I've pretty much always been able to a least get some sort of bargain on all the audio stuff I've done over the years.
I don't know how to look up people here yet but should be able to figure it out. Thanks.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/07/15 at 01:36:34

You can PM him after you make 5 posts.  Or he might see this thread and respond.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/11/15 at 16:47:37

I just set up searches on eBay and check the other sites occasionally like Audiogon and USAudio.

I went with PS Audio per recommendations here on the forum and have been happy.  I noticed a difference on my Rachael, but have never A/B'd the Torii III with various power cords, so I can't say.  I have also not A/B'd the Torii with and without my PowerPlant so I can't say how much of a lift I get there.  I perceived a big lift when used with Rachael.  

I run a AC12 to my Powerplant and an AC5 to the amp.  I got the AC5 for around $200 and the AC12 for around $300.  I would avoid any cord priced lower than these.  I was pretty suspicious of the $300 AC12 until I actually heard it.  I would definitely avoid any cord from outside the US.

The rest of my cords are DIY and they do make a difference over stock.   They cost me in the neighborhood of $50-$100 each and I use them on my digital gear.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/11/15 at 17:17:34

There is a Decware cord on Audiogon right now for $145.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
marcocolo
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 08/11/15 at 18:13:23

Thanks Palomino.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print