Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 02:36:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
anyone try Tung-Sol 6L6G ???? (Read 12551 times)
grinnell
Seasoned Member

anyone try Tung-Sol 6L6G ????
06/24/15 at 00:40:17

anyone try these

Mini Torii w/ 1940's Brimar 6v6g st
Ref 3A de Capos
KEF Kube10a Sub
VPI HW-19 mk iv
MHDT Stockholm v2 DAC
Emotive ERC-4 CDP
MacBook Pro as streamer
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Re: anyone try Tung-Sol 6L6G ????
Reply #1 - 06/24/15 at 12:42:15

Not me, but I'm wondering what a 6L6 would sound like in the Mini ...

Since it was originally voiced for 6V6, the other complement components may require some tube rolling to find its best set up, I assume. Any previous experiences with 6L6's? Why do you want to try this one?

I'm sorry I'm not only not helpful in your quest but on top of that I'm flooding you with nagging questions ...  I'm really curious, as a buddy of mine also likes to put 6L6's in it and he claims the Feedback Adjustment feature helps to focus the sound of these tubes in the Mini.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
grinnell
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/24/15 at 18:10:50

I'm talking about these
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6L6-5881-Tube-Types/Tung-Sol-6L6-G

the Coke bottle shape

not sure what they would sound like the have some power to them from what I have read so intrigued but they are $90/pair

I would agree re-voicing would be involved

still loving my RCA 6v6 st

Mini Torii w/ 1940's Brimar 6v6g st
Ref 3A de Capos
KEF Kube10a Sub
VPI HW-19 mk iv
MHDT Stockholm v2 DAC
Emotive ERC-4 CDP
MacBook Pro as streamer
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 06/24/15 at 18:18:41

I haven't tried them. Cryoset also sells a cryo'd version:

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_29&products_id=131&osCs...

I have used TAD 6L6 (smaller bottle) tubes in my Torii Mk III. A nice and warm sort of old school sound.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #4 - 06/24/15 at 20:52:27

The RCA G ST (1940's) are my absolutely preferred 6V6 tubes in  the MIni, but I'm about to try the GT type of the same make and era and see what happens.

The 6L6 are more demanding to the Mini Torii than, say, the 6K6's, so I'm hesitant to try any of those yet. I have so many system changes  going on lately, that I need to settle for a long while, but still curious about the 6L6's which are very popular in general.

Interesting the smooth, warm sound you got from the TAD 6L6 in your Torii, Lon. I personally prefer a more open sound, though.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 06/24/15 at 21:04:03

Yeah, I do too. But it's system dependent. I was using them with my earlier Torii Mk III that doesn't have the bass control and the extra lower heft was welcome. They also helped the ERR speakers I'm using in that system. Ultimately with any of my three Toriis I prefer KT-66 but I'm very impressed with TAD tubes, at least in the cryo'd versions from cryoset.com I've used KT-66, EL84 and 6L6 and they have been excellent tubes.The KT-66 are the ones I'm using in my main system, and the EL84s have been the best tubes I've used in the modded C amp in use in my system at my fiancee's. Changes my mind a bit about Chinese tubes.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/26/15 at 11:38:20

I have not tried them but from those that have, though not in a Mini, they are on the warm side of neutral. I sent my Mini in for upgrades and am having the FB option installed...just because. I think I will have the UFO transformers done too. To date, I have not found a 6L6 that sounds as good as a 6V6 in it. It appears, to my ears, that the input tube and the coupling cap makes a bigger difference than the power tube.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #7 - 06/29/15 at 16:01:29

Agreed. I find the output Voltage Regulators also make a tangible difference. For example, A 12AU7 will go nicely with a less dark-sounding OB3 or OC3 than the regular OA3, at the expense of making the sound flatter as we approach the OD3. But, if using 12AT7, the opposite is true, meaning the ideal partner being the OA3. This, because the 12AT7 opens up the sound and creates a less warm sound, whereas the 12AU7, although as detailed, it is much warmer sounding, also highlighting the bass line.

I think finding a synergistic combination of 6V6, input tube type and output Voltage Regulator (OA3 ... OD3) makes the most dramatic effect. IME, OA3 and OB3 are the best bets if one combines them as described, with the input tube type, 12AT7 (or similar) and 12AU7 (or similar), correspondingly.

Not sure about 6L6, 6K6 or any of the many other possibilities in this natural tube-rolling platform, but my guess is it is going to take a lot of rolling and investment to deviate from the originally voiced 6V6. I would stick to good 6V6's and roll about these with the input tube and output Voltage Regulators.

Just my own subjective opinion, of course.

Currently waiting for a package from Brent Jessee with RCA 6V6 GT's, Sylvania OB3's and Amperex Holland 12AU7's ...  can't wait!

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/08/15 at 13:02:21

You won't get a substantial increase in power with a 6L6 in the Mini. I have some Sylvania 6L6G's for another amp and will try them in the Mini when I get it back from Steve and post. *I* have not found a 6L6 that sounds as good as a 6V6 in the Mini.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #9 - 07/09/15 at 12:19:53

My stash of new tubes had a long burn-in session during the week-end, but it is still too early to comment on. In fact, I put in all three at the same time (Sylvanya OB3, Amperex-Holland 12AU7 and RCA 6V6 GT) to save some burn-in time, but later on I'll try one pair at a time with my best tube complement to really see the individual contributions.

Unfortunately, these are old tubes and one of them (still haven't singled out which one) is ringing, as you can hear it between songs even from the sweet spot. Also, one of the 12AU7's is flashing on start-up, while the other does not ...  weird!

Brent Jesse said I should wait for some 100 hours for this ringing to go away as those tubes settle ...  I hope he's right.

I love very old RCA 6V6 tubes (1940's-1950's), but these are hard to find in good shape and at reasonable prices.  My current RCA 6V6 G ST are still the best I've heard so far, and I'm just hoping the GT turns out to be similar or better. We'll see.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print