Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 03:32:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bridging Decware amps (Read 17857 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Bridging Decware amps
06/15/15 at 20:20:33

Does anyone know if a bridged amp configuration, in order to increase the power significantly (say, in the Super Zen or the Rachael, etc), can be done at no sonic cost? I was wondering, the magic of a Super Zen at 6 watts per channel @ 8 Ohms would be a good bang for the buck at around USD 2,000. It would be better sounding than the other amps and it would still kick 6 watts RMS.

If so, how does one feed the single DAC input to it? Would Y IC adapters be a sonically acceptable solution? 6 Watts is 50% more power than the Mini Torii's 4 Watts and being a Triode configuration with a much leaner topology should be sonically better, unless the bridging taxes that magic somehow. Just thinking ...

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Bridging Decware amps
Reply #1 - 06/15/15 at 20:51:53

Everything has a cost. There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. So bridging for 6 watts is going to cost something, vs stock 2 watts. You'd have to ask Steve, or someone who's run matching Decware amps if it's worth it. I have not, and my amp doesn't match my friends amp since Steve modified mine - so I don't think I can give a valid test.

All that said, IMHO, I think you should consider the Torii JR. It sounds like it has the purity you're looking for. Ask Steve what he thinks - but that's probably where you want to go.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/15/15 at 21:15:50

It`s worth it for me as my speakers need a wake up call that one Rachael wont give them. Two and we`re cookin`. No trade in. One amp per speaker. No smearing as there is the floating bridge in the circuits that allow for bridging.
That said, Steve offers more power entry-point amps now...and in the future. And I think the prices reflect the power, at least they did when I decided how much power I required.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/15/15 at 21:28:02

Even before Steve switched the description to highlight the UFO the Zen stated this:
Quote:
Worried about 2 huger than life SET watts not being enough power?
The SE84UFO employs a unique floating output transformer scheme where the negative speaker wire is not tied to chassis ground. That means when the amp is bridged, both channels may either be series or parallel wired. In series, both channels work as one and transparency is preserved.
So with no sonic drawbacks to running the amps in mono, you can expect 6 dB of additional power rather then the expected 3dB. This is thanks to the power increase the amp has when it sees half the speaker load from being series bridged.

I plan to run two in bridged mode eventually so I am counting on this being true.
It would be nice to see a public reaffirmation from Mr. Decware but I am taking it at face value as is.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 06/15/15 at 21:35:54

That does sound like a very positive comment. I just read that too, but it didn't click with me as I typically don't bridge anything but sub-woofer amps. LOL

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 06/15/15 at 21:36:18

That's very cool! A great option.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #6 - 06/15/15 at 22:05:21

I had seen that statement in the past, too. But, there's always the doubt it may not be feasible in practice to really keep 100% of the transparency on ...  I may be wrong, that is why I'm asking ...

Ultralinear sounds promising but still down the road some. Thanks for the feedback.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/16/15 at 00:26:51

I would tend to think that if a bridged Zen or Rachael sounded as good as a single unit, Steve could make a lot of money simply bridging them on one chassis and selling them on the site.  Surely a 6 watt Zen would be a huge seller don't you think?

There are posts that I've read over the years by those who have done it who have stated that the sound isn't identical.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 06/16/15 at 00:46:30

True. . . but those were not of the new design.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/16/15 at 00:59:38

seikosha wrote on 06/16/15 at 00:26:51:
I would tend to think that if a bridged Zen or Rachael sounded as good as a single unit, Steve could make a lot of money simply bridging them on one chassis and selling them on the site.  Surely a 6 watt Zen would be a huge seller don't you think?

There are posts that I've read over the years by those who have done it who have stated that the sound isn't identical.

I've heard the same from some comments posted here that there was a loss in transparency and even a little more noise was introduced.  That was before the UFO transformers though, so those UFO's could potentially make a huge difference.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/16/15 at 11:02:48

With the 2 output option on the CSP you theoretically get balanced clean inputs to the monos if you think a `Y` connector might degrade the signal by the minutest.
The power jump gives the sense of heightened attributes across the board. You think the stage is wider, deeper, more bass grip etc.
It`s not just about dialing back the volumes to the 1 amp levels, but when you do there is something more than 1 amp. This isn`t wishful thinking.....you`re paying double the money so you`d want the whole to be more than the sum of two parts.
This always makes me think of the little Zen amp and how much it`s revered, and then my theory counts for nothing.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #11 - 06/16/15 at 12:47:02

Interesting points, thanks! I also believe there may be a price to pay for bridging in terms of sound quality. Otherwise, as seikosha put it, it would have been a popular item in the Decware range.

The CSP feeding option is right but too expensive (plus the addition of another stage in the chain). Of course, there may be some dynamics and body weight enhancement advantages, but the speed and the transparency would be tradeoffs when coupling the bridged Super Zen with a CSP preamp.

IMHO, if the bridged configuration's sound quality is not 100% the same as with the amp by itself, it ain't worth looking into, unless of course one is willing to pay the inherent loss of sound quality price for more power ...  Pitty!

So, we're back to square one! The new Mono's are too expensive (although quite worth it, I'm sure) but there's still the hole in the range for an affordable Super Zen-sounding amp with power well above the 2 watts. That is why I was eager to test the hypothesis of the bridged Super Zen option.

BTW, I always thought Decware trannies's setup was of the floating type. The suggestion of potential bridging is not new in Decware's offerings. The UFO may be much more revealing and transparent sounding than the stock transformer but the general floating setup configuration I believe is the same ... Again, I may be wrong.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 06/16/15 at 13:12:12

I question whether the loss of transparency (especially with the UFO transformer topology Steve mentions) is that noticeable. Personally the ultimate transparency is often counter-productive to most natural sound in my systems, so I would fret less than others perhaps. But I would be willing to believe Steve's most recent statement, why not.

Adding a Decware preamp has had more benefit than deficit in my systems even though at times I thought it did not. At those times further system improvements showed using the preamp to be the preferred method. I just think that sometimes we "believe" in audio diminishments in much larger sizes than they actually may be to the ear and brain. (And I'm certain the same is true of audio improvements).

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 06/16/15 at 13:13:48

I would still like to hear Steve's reasoning for advertising it as a fact since everyone is so skeptical.
Also, he made the statement well before the UFO mod was added as I've had this plan in place since late last year after reading that very paragraph, minus the UFO addition of course.
Unless someone, maybe more than one someone even, has done extensive listening, with results to the contrary, I'll put my faith in the designer of these excellent amps.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #14 - 06/16/15 at 13:18:02

You may be right, Lon. But, I don't think the fame and evident following the Super Zen has had over the years (as well as people's willingness to put up with a lot less power than they would like) is something barely noticeable. Just my opinion.

I'm not questioning Steve's statement, except I believe this is a business, and in the end, there may be many people incapable of noticing the difference (that may well include me and my old ears). So, why not offer a pretty similar level of sound with much more power ... It is a valid offering. But, as LR put it, there's no free lunch and something has to give.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 06/16/15 at 13:38:45

So it is a business. A small business.
And as such offering multiple variations on a theme is a lot of investment, not just in the added inventory, but especially in the R&D time spent refining and voicing a new chassis (another item to redesign) with what would inherently have new unforeseen problems to solve. Steve is one man doing all this work by the way.  :)
The offering is already there. In fact it's a wonderful upgrade path if you get past the "but why wouldn't he just...?" aspect.
Buy a fantastic low power amp for under $1K.
Then if you feel the need for more power you can more than double it for another $1K.
Makes perfect sense to me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 06/16/15 at 13:42:26

Well, I look at it this way. You either fall in love with your amp or your speakers. If you fall in love with a flea power amp you build your system around it and you get very efficient speakers. Then you don't need the extra power. A lot of what attracts people to the Zen amps is the bang for the buck. You can get a killer system around that (now) 1000 dollar amazing amp. Not a big investment. That is a big draw, that low cost, that is why many of us first came here to play.

TWO of those amps cost you 2000 dollars. And two sets of cables if you are like many of us and go that route. And rack space and footers etc. Steve has the Mini-Torii and the Rachel at cheaper than that price points for those who want or need that more power and/or a bit less of an analytical sound perhaps. And the new Monoblocks (if they are in production) will have even more power in SET sound, at a steeper price point. So the way that Steve has the line structured makes sense to me. If you really want all the Super Zen qualities AND more power go for a pair of two Super Zens. I doubt that I MYSELF would notice a lot of transparency loss and if I did lose a little the power and headroom and ease of sound from doubling the amps would probably put me way over on the plus side.

I myself as much as I loved the Decware amps I had before them fell in love with the Radial speakers, the ERR and HR-1. In some of the spaces I had my system I needed more than six watts to get the headroom and ease of sound I wanted, so these little amps were not possible for me--that's why there's the Toriis, the new Monos, the ZMA, the flagship Monos. . . a whole other line to follow to energize those speakers.

The line up makes sense to me, and IF the new UFO topology does allow the transparency when doubling to mono that Steve claims then even those chasing for the ultimate in detail (a path I found I couldn't go down with my source material) can enjoy wider speaker choices and/or headroom and ease of sound. The comments about losing some transparency with mono operation do not include experience with the new amps. The new amps are very impressive. Two sources, hot rod transformers, damned good looking too. Nice shot in the arm to the line up and if the mono operation is as advertised possibly the best 2000-2500 amp set up for Decware type listeners.

Just the way it seems to me. I can see some differing viewpoints, and IF I were in the market I'd have tough choices to make, and that leap of faith in any direction is a tough one to initiate.

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 06/16/15 at 14:13:27

A few thoughts on this.

1.) There seems to be some sort of impression I think from some folks that this bridging concept is new.  That wording about bridging the Zens has been on the website for years.  This has nothing to do with the introduction of the new UFO transformers, it's an old feature.

2.) When you think about it, common sense dictates that something has to give.  When you are all of the sudden getting 6 watts out of a 2 watt amp using the same tubes capacitors and transformers, then the math isn't adding up.  If it was 4 watts, then all the components would be stressed equally, but not at 6.  Another thought is that now that two amps are being used, are all the parts in those amps being used as well?  If so, then you have to realize that the signal is now going through twice as many parts than it was before.  That could affect the sound.

3.) For years we've read accounts on this forum about folks calling Steve up and asking for amp advice.  Not once have I ever heard anyone say that they'd spoken to Steve and he recommended two bridged Rachels or Zens instead of a single amp.  Seems odd don't you think?

It would be great if this could be tested at the next Zenfest.  It'd be fascinating for a group to get together and listen to both single and bridged Zens and report their findings.

When I bought my Mini Torii, the dealer who sold it to me had bridged the Zens and I asked about just buying two zens from him instead of the M.T.  He would have made more money from me going that route, but he told me, if I wanted more power, that was not the way to go.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 06/16/15 at 14:15:48

seikosha wrote on 06/16/15 at 14:13:27:
1.) There seems to be some sort of impression I think from some folks that this bridging concept is new.  That wording about bridging the Zens has been on the website for years.  This has nothing to do with the introduction of the new UFO transformers, it's an old feature.

I sit here corrected then as I thought this was a new comment for the new revision.

I do remember people getting advice from Steve to buy two Zens and bridge them.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 06/16/15 at 14:42:53

Quote:
I do remember people getting advice from Steve to buy two Zens and bridge them.

Especially if you already own one...  ;)

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #20 - 06/16/15 at 14:51:31

Quote:
You may be right, Lon. But, I don't think the fame and evident following the Super Zen has had over the years (as well as people's willingness to put up with a lot less power than they would like) is something barely noticeable. Just my opinion.

I'm not questioning Steve's statement, except I believe this is a business, and in the end, there may be many people incapable of noticing the difference (that may well include me and my old ears). So, why not offer a pretty similar level of sound with much more power ... It is a valid offering. But, as LR put it, there's no free lunch and something has to give.

Well said FB! I think you cut to the point more succinctly than I could.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #21 - 06/16/15 at 15:08:54

.....willingness to put up with a lot less power...... .

Yeah, I would still only have my SE84CS, if my ZMA, Cables, Modified Acoustic Zen Adagio's and PS Audio P3 could not beat it.

Well, the ZMA and friends does beat it in Transparency. Tie it I should say with more power, obviously.

The best Cables (IC & Speaker) matter so much my friends. Kimber Select, Kubala Sosna (Emotion & Elation).....Voodoo Cables is where you should start. Digital Coax should not matter...but it does indeed.  ;)

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #22 - 06/16/15 at 16:43:52

Interesting points, again. I submit a request, to those with the possibility, to experiment with the bridging, especially with the Super Zen/UFO, as this would provide an unequivocal solution to high level sound at affordable prices and more comfortable power levels.

Whether during the next Decfest or anytime before that, this test would be enlightening.

BTW, I would try the Bridged configuration without a preamp ...  Just adjusting the volume individually per channel. This makes it mandatory to use a Y splitter for the input IC's, but should be the best option when trying to preserve the original transparency in the system.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 06/16/15 at 18:50:50

I still maintain there is no loss in bridged Rachaels. Each one still recieives 2 inputs, uses all the circuit, and outputs through both sp terminals which are joined...strapped +ve`s and the -ve`s which are allready joined. The benefits, and there are many high end monos, are that left and right are completely seperated, isolated, with their own power supplies.
Now that all equates to purer sound than having the whole lot on one chassis.
There is the mk1 Rachael which did have that config. Remember the blue one that was sold here recently ? It had various switches for this and that.
I also believe that the power tubes used in Decware amps have a range which factors in to how many watts they deliver. Go more powerful and you get into push pull configs egTorii.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print