03/28/24 at 16:23:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
zp3 sounding good (Read 1564 times)
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

zp3 sounding good
06/07/15 at 16:39:13

finally my analog side sounds better than my digital!
think it's a combo of getting some hours on the zp3 and cart/arm that plays well with it.
rb303 with a 2m blue (5.5Mv) seems to be the ticket that doesn't break the bank!  melt in your chair nice!!

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Re: zp3 sounding good
Reply #1 - 06/09/15 at 18:57:00

Excellent...My ZP3 is 6mo old now and is just amazing. Absolutely loving what I am hearing now. Enjoy it Trip64!
What is the rest of your system like?

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/13/15 at 12:10:57

acetone,
i updated my signature w/ some of my gear.

problem has developed this week.... buddy made me take home his musical surroundings nova phenomena.  ummm its real damn good in my system.  The sound stage is much deeper and the highs are very crisp and sparkly.  i am going to do an a/b again this weekend, but for now the musical surroundings is more enjoyable.  hate it when this happens.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 06/13/15 at 12:55:45

Trip, my experience with the ZP3 has been that it evolves over time quite nicely. Took me several months to feel it was "broken in." And it has seasoned and improved slowly since then.

Also. . . it responds thoroughly to tube rolling so I imagine that with experimentation you could find a tube set that delivers that sparkling high end (I don't have suggestions really as that's the opposite direction than I work towards!

But hey, if the Musical Surroundings really does seem better. . .there's a newer model that is supposed to be even better. Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/13/15 at 14:02:11

thks Lon.  i am not giving up yet.  i've only got 2mths on it and estimating <60hrs.  its got the beeswax caps if that makes any difference on "breakin" time.

yeah i typically not a fan of the brighter end of the spectrum either, but i do like the crisp, airy, "sparkly" that kinda just floats (if that makes any sense), and this combo does that.

i am going to do another a/b later today and see what my brain is telling me.  fun hobby huh!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 06/13/15 at 14:15:39

There is definitely fun . . . and frustration in this hobby. There are so many possibilities that it can be nerve-wracking at times. I've been overloaded between my normal life and my audio life several times the past ten years or so. I'm even considering just signing off this forum and the internet in general in the near future. . . the whole magilla is not good for my finances, I can spend so much so easily and get into a habit of doing so that I shouldn't be exercising.

Enjoying what we have is key. . . . I'm doing pretty well at that!

By the way Beeswax caps sound good from the start and break in faster than some.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/15/15 at 02:06:36

I hear you Lon!  Sometimes this "hobby/obsession" of ours gets out of hand and Isn't a great one for a semi-OCD mathematician!  lol

But your 100% correct in we must spend more time enjoying what we have (and that goes for everything in our lives) and enjoy the music.

I've been getting better at this, but I have my days.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/15/15 at 11:15:02

Trip, my experience with the ZP3 may be the same as yours. I cant remember if it was a month or two months maybe more, I play typically 3 hrs a day, that the ZP3  educated me to bass. Before that I was missing it, what it was doing. I was feeling the air moving and hearing a kind of thud. After that I started hearing bass like never before. I think what was happening was that I was still trying to hear what my old phono was doing, what I thought was proper. I was straining too much listening to the initial note and not letting myself go to hear the whole thing. The ears, my ears, needed time to succumb. And then the bass was gorgeous.
This might be normal when you hear new, I could say alien but thats far from the truth, equipment.
The phono your friend demoed is ss, and has banks of dip switches in the signal path. What it probably does is give that old instant fix of bass which sounds familiar.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #8 - 06/16/15 at 18:58:17

Syd,  I agree. Since ZP3 and some room treatments I find myself seeking out the rhythm section on some musical selections that have great walking bass/ technical bass playing. Hearing great details never experienced until now! Damn nice!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #9 - 06/17/15 at 02:45:02

Trpwire1964 and all…I am now into about the 8th month on my ZP3 and Rachael and I have to tell you that last weekend (before it had to take everything out for flooring) and that ZP3 is FLIPPING amazing!!! My cart is old and tired but really really good. Please don't make a judgement on your ZP3 until you have at least 250 hours on it, or you will be selling it short. Even my wife last weekend sat on the couch and asked for me to play this, play that, how about this…you get it. She is BLOWN away by the Decware/Omega combo as are my neighbors and men's group. Give it time, like a fine wine. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/23/15 at 00:15:28

syd,  yeah i agree.  after a week of listening to the nova i am back to the ZP3 and loving it.  it's something to do with a new sound (good or bad) that takes awhile to truly register/process in your brain.

i tried a bunch of mc carts too with the nova and back to my mm 2m blue and zp3. still the best combo for my system.  

wouldn't mind trying a 2m black.  didn't think i'd like these 2m carts as much as i do.  good synergy between 2m, rb303, and zp3 i guess.

cheers

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 07/17/15 at 01:11:12

getting the zp3 dialed in.  haven't done much tube rolling till now.  this unit response very well to rolling!  fun!
been liking following combo this past couple weeks:
reg NOS GE OA3
rec NOS GE 5Y3GT
12AX7 new Tung Sol golds (since i liked the Tung sols that came stock)
12AU7 NOS Cifte (also really like the stock baldwin and NOS RCA 5814A 3mica blk plate too)
and new DIY VH flavor 2 power cord (was running stocker)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 07/17/15 at 01:55:43

Trip, glad you're enjoying your ZP3.  I may come back later and share what I've got in my ZP3 later but for now this old thread will give you lots of ideas and tips.  Mark.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1402147415

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 08/08/15 at 18:14:05

wow just threw in a RCA 5U4G (replacing GE 5Y3GT) and really liking it.
noticeable addition of air, soundstage, and bass extension.

i've tried the following and like the RCA 5U4G best so far:
philips 5R4GYS
VA 274B
GE 5YSGT

anyone try a mullard 5AR4 in a zp3?  haven't tried on of those yet...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/08/15 at 20:38:59

Great, trip, my olg GE5U4G goes big as well. I may give it another run out soon.
The 5AR4`s all seem to be listed as 5AR4/GZ34 so they may be the same.
The RCA 5R4GY`s are very popular and decent prices for NOS. They come in 2 main configs ...single getter and double getter, and I think there are some top getters.
I change between single and double when the mood strikes, which has been long enough inbetween that I dont know which one I have in at the moment.   Smiley

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 08/15/15 at 03:49:42

love how responsive the zp3 is to tube rolling!  keeps getting better.
trying some NOS 1952 Raytheon 5814's in the 12au7 buffer spot this week.  these babies are pretty impressive out of their 63 yo boxes.  highly recommend.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 08/20/15 at 19:21:32

1952, wow, thats early ! I doubt anyone here can go further back in time with their 12AX/U7`s. I have a`56 miniwat 12AU7 in place and love it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print