04/25/24 at 03:28:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZMA with DM947 (Read 18818 times)
SteveC
Seasoned Member

ZMA with DM947
06/02/15 at 20:53:50

Year and a half ago, Steve paired the ZMA with the DM947s most of the time for demos (decfest). Is this still "the best match"?  I loved them and thought they sounded better than my beloved hdt's.  So, since the 947 are still on sale, I'm looking at them again with a seriousness that makes my wallet shake nervously.

I see others try and return other brands of speakers. I wish to avoid that whole merry go around.  I know the zma & 947 combo is very good. Just wondering if anything has changed in the last year or so.

Any opinions and thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: ZMA with DM947
Reply #1 - 06/02/15 at 21:32:45

During our recent CDApS meetup, we used Palomino's....version of the monoliths. And Zen to ZMA, they sounded fantastic. I imagine having real ones would only sound better.

The only other speaker that has really surprised me lately was Steve's white HR-1. They sounded fantastic.

I'm not sure what's happening with the El Camino, if anything - but it needs a Torii or better to get going (IMHO).

So yeah, right now, the Monoliths still seem the best bet.

I wish we had them 10-15 years ago. I probably would have stuck with audiophile listening, rather than taking a break because I was so frustrated with speakers.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/02/15 at 23:05:09

"Real ones"....no respect for the "craftsman."

My "monoliths" have become my go to speaker now.  Air and soundstage can't be beat.  ZMA sounds very good paired with these and still my favorite combo.  I think it is still Steve's favorite as well.

I heard HR-1's at Ravens and did not like them with the ZMA.  Bass seemed bloated.  Later though, I heard that combo at Zenfest and thought it sounded pretty darn good.  So I don't know.  Monos are much lower price though.

The 947s with the wave guide are a different animal from the sound I am getting.  Midrange comes through more cleanly.  

I did upgrade the caps to a Mundorf though and that helps the highs a lot.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/02/15 at 23:59:48

Thanks guys. I value your opinions alot given your experience and all the experimenting you do.  Thanks.

I recall it was the wave guided version, dm946 based, that I heard and liked. Coming from razor sharp hdts, I'll want the brightest midrange I can get.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/03/15 at 04:03:54

@ Pal ~ so the Monolith's are you preference over the El Caminos then?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/03/15 at 12:11:07

Yes after some back and forth, I pretty much leave the monoliths in.  El caminos have better bottom end and I like the smoothness of the tweeters but monos win in soundstage.  I have been experimenting with lots of room treatments because it's a lot about soundstage for me.

Monos also play well with both Rachael and Torii.  El caminos really need a little more juice to fully come alive than Rachael can provide.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/03/15 at 14:42:30

BTW, I think Raven is probably right about the "real ones" sounding better.  I know my dimensions are not right.  I just built the base cabinets one weekend on a whim based on pictures and knowing the DM945 dimensions.

I didn't even paint them because I thought they might sound really bad.  They didn't.  They sounded really good.  So I painted them and have been cycling them in and out of various setups for a while now.

They sounded so good, in fact, that I felt guilty and contacted Steve and told him I owed him some money for ripping off his ideas.  He said no problem and that I didn't owe him anything.

I believe he should patent this design if he hasn't already.  I tried this with my micro-monitor Siverline Minuets and it worked.  Deeper bass, huge soundstage.  You can turn any rear ported monitor into a floorstander.  

Everything Steve says in the promo blurbs is true.  I don't know how he came upon this design, but it's brilliant.  The decoupling is key.  I've built the DNA's with a very similar horn pattern and you don't get the same effect.

Also SteveC, not to confuse things, but my second favorite speaker with the ZMA is the 944.  I saw these on eBay or one of the other sites a few weeks back for $700!  They are dynamic enough to handle what the ZMA is capable of.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 06/03/15 at 15:36:55

Quote:
Yes after some back and forth, I pretty much leave the monoliths in.  El caminos have better bottom end and I like the smoothness of the tweeters but monos win in soundstage.  I have been experimenting with lots of room treatments because it's a lot about soundstage for me.

Palo is getting damn near holographic, reach out and touch it, imaging. So I agree with his choices.

I do like the El Camono with my ZMA because the smoother tweeter sounds silky, but if I had to choose between holographic imaging and smooth high-end, I'd go hologrpahic every day.

My room isn't as good, so I'll probably be stealing the El Camino speakers back from him soon.

We still have a joint custody thing going on.   Smiley

Also, the 944 don't come anywhere near the depth of the El Camino, but they have a dynamic pop on the low end that sort of makes up for it. For budget speakers, I'd be happy with either one, depending on what my preferences of sound was. The 947 are the current closest to the 944, and are kind of a middle ground between El Camino and 944 on bass. I'd feel comfortable recommending the monoliths.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 06/03/15 at 15:56:42

That's interesting E. . . I'll always choose great treble over holographic myself, which explains where I am today. Holographic and sound staging is cool but doesn't seem like "real music" to me, but an artificial thing for audio playback only. A little dab does me. But the frequency balance has to be right, timbre and tone all seem to be the key for me.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/03/15 at 17:53:30

Yeah, a different strokes for different folks situation.  

When Eric's friend Jay said at the last CDApS (paraphrasing) "when I closed my eyes, the walls disappeared and it felt like I was in the hall" that was indeed music to my ears.  One of my favorite things to listen to is live music recordings.  

The tweeter on the monos is no slouch.  For those who may not know, it's used on a lot of Decware speakers (past and present).  It's just that the El Camino's is really a great smooth dome tweeter and Bob has integrated it well.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 06/03/15 at 17:57:42

I like to listen to live music too, both in person and on recording. It's just that live music doesn't sound the way recorded music does to me, soundstaging and all that seems not real but something different, and I've heard some amazing playback of that sort. It's cool but it isn't something I'll obsess about.

Different strokes I guess.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/03/15 at 18:10:03

You mean like real live music versus recorded live music?

If so, I'd agree there is a difference there.  For example, some times they mic too close and you don't get the true live feeling.  I don't listen to a lot of classical, but I think classical recordings capture it the best.  Then Jazz and rock a distant 3rd.  Although there are exceptions in every music type.

Anyway, we are getting off topic.  SteveC, is reaching for his wallet right now and needs our help to get it open and reach for the plastic!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 06/03/15 at 18:13:26

Yeah, I mean holographic sound, soundstaging, as reproduced by audio equipment, is not like real music at all to me. So I don't obsess about it the way others do and I prefer the best tonal and timbral presentation to get me closer to the way music sounds in real life.

Steve C. doesn't need my help, you have him on the ropes! Smiley

IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 06/03/15 at 19:00:52

I've never heard the El Caminos, but the description of them needing more power makes me think I'd have the same issue as with the DNA's.

I started my decware speaker journey with HDT's, because they are crossoverless, single driver, and very high efficiency.  I love that accuracy, resolution, and sharpness.  (I do wish I had just a tiny bit deeper bottom end, so I built the WO32).  

So I love the in your face sound of the hdt and ZOB's.  clear and sharp.

I remember hearing the DNA's and loved the bottom end, but they didn't have the efficiency and presence I was used to in the HDT's.  the tradeoff wasn't worth it to me.  I stayed HDT.

When I heard the monoliths on the ZMA, and the HDT's sounded worse on the ZMA, I knew it was a good match.  More bass, slightly less in your face than the HDT's, but it was a good tradeoff for me. (my thinking went at the time)

I'm hoping the monoliths will just be enough and I won't need to build another wo32.  The old one was a proof of concept. acoustically sound, but aesthetically garbage.  I yanked the drivers and crushed the box a while ago.  if there is a next one, it will be beautiful, fully enclosed, and oriented vertically to serve as an end table (horns down, on short legs)

I'm zeroing in on my "just right" system. and trying to minimize how much "stuff" I have.  I still have my zdac. getting dusty.  I still have my decware cd player Lon sold me.  getting dusty.  heh.

thanks.  the descriptions about the 944 and monoliths performance relative to the other speakers match my memory and expectations. I think i'm sold.  thanks!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 06/08/15 at 14:30:47

Not to hijack the thread (again), but to your point Lon:

http://www.dagogo.com/how-important-is-soundstaging

I am pretty happy with the other stuff.  Just doing the soundstage thing now.  Obsessing a little on it now, but then I will let it go once I think I'm there and just listen again.  I am pretty close.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 06/08/15 at 14:40:11

Cool, interesting article and thanks for sharing. I choose to focus on just getting the music to sound right (and my reference is my own personal experience playing music with others and the rare times when I've heard instruments played without additional amplification in an intimate listening setting whether a home or small club). I also use tapes I recorded myself of band playing in my then living space, which is a unique reerence that probably only is valid for myself alone, but a very good tool. When I get the tone and timbre and dynamic details right I can just let go and enjoy the music.

Another reason I haven't focused on soundstaging etc. is that the one time that I had a dedicated listening room and would have been able to do so, I was miserable. I hated being an isolated listener and I hated the room and I was much happier when I moved out into a shared livning area for listening, incorporated watching into the mix, and shared it with others. And in that instance (with a wife or other romantic partner added) room treatment was out of the question in a shared space. And will be the same when I move in six weeks. So. . . I focused on other aspects, and in the process these become more "real" to me. (I much enjoy sound in a large room, which my dedicated room or future possible dedicated room would not be by any stretch).

We're all different and we turn our attention in different directions. And I'm glad we are and do!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #16 - 06/08/15 at 22:42:50

Quote:
Not to hijack the thread (again), but to your point Lon:

http://www.dagogo.com/how-important-is-soundstaging

I am pretty happy with the other stuff.  Just doing the soundstage thing now.  Obsessing a little on it now, but then I will let it go once I think I'm there and just listen again.  I am pretty close.

I find that article infuriating - the whole article seems to be this guy doing his best to convince himself he was on the wrong path - and there is so much broken logic.

You all know I'm all about the holographic imaging. But this guy makes it sound like you can't have both. Palomino's system is agreat example. I think his system is smoother and I'd go as far as to say more "musical" (especially with my ZMA in it!  :D )   But Palo's also got his room *down* and is approaching that mind boggling holographic sound that you have that "out of body experience" that Steve talks about.

You can have both! You just can't let yourself get so distracted by one you condemn the other.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 06/08/15 at 23:19:32

I didn't necessarily come away with exactly the same conclusion.  I think he's saying (like many aspects of this hobby) that soundstage gets over hyped and too much emphasis.  He places it second compared to tonality, etc.

Like you, I'm after both with the room treatments.  I feel that they not only give me the soundstage, but also more clarity, better definition (for sure) and better timbre, etc.  There are other ways to get it as well like cables, etc.

I am in a position to pursue both (within a budget, of course).  If I didn't have a room, I would naturally lean towards better accuracy, etc.  That said, I am already trying to figure out what I am going to do when I downsize into a smaller home.

Lon's comments and this article just gave me another point of view and some food for thought in pursuing the path I'm on.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 06/09/15 at 02:05:25

Jeeze LR, don't take it so personally!  ;)  

Like Lon, I tend to live with my music and rarely sit down and listen.  I have more of a fill-the-room sound and not holographic imaging anyway so I might be biased.  But I think he makes valid points and is just shining a light on a trend that he sees and wants to question.  No harm.

To the point of this thread, I am completely happy with my ZMA and HR1s.  Killer combo once all broken in.  I opted for the HR1s since Steve warned me that if the Monoliths are close to a wall, unpleasant bass things can happen.  I don't have the option of moving my speakers very far off of my wall.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 06/09/15 at 13:48:21

Theres so many different recordings that the article doesn`t deal with.
I love good stereo recordings, mainly late `60`s and on to the present. The engineers use the channels to `create` width and depth. Getting great clarity, seperation, air, bass definition......it`s all there on the album ( digital or vinyl). Live rock is recorded as a scaled down imitation of what the man on the mixing desk hears after he`s balanced all the levels. You get closer the more volume you give it. Then, with lower levels you imagine you`re still there but hear it in a more refined setting. Yes, the singer-guitarist`s voice is pinpointed but his guitar is somwhere else, but stable so you hear the band spread out accross the stage as, again, the man on the desk determines. And the mikes will pick up on the magic of atmospherics making sounds drift accross stage.
After getting into jazz something else became apparent. Most albums, if not all ( early`60`s and `50`s and beyond ) are recorded live. This includes studio albums. Now, with 3,4,5 piece outfits the sound engineer does his trademark usual and bingo you get the band in situ.
It makes for some good to brilliant records. Think KOB, a standout.
But...and heres the rub, a lot of the albums are narrow stereo, maybe 2 feet wide behind the speakers. And of course some mono. What I`ve noticed with these recordings is that there is more tone. Well not more but you dont have to focus accross a wide stage. It`s condensed so you get the impression that the players are more solid with extra bite, extra life.
I love both, but there are the recording genres which produce different emotions.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 06/09/15 at 14:03:35

I don't disagree, but I think when you have the tone and timbre and dynamic details right all this unfolds well with good speakers* and positioning in a decent room. . . . To obsess beyond that has quite diminishing returns for me. The extremely "holographic" thing seems hyper- or super-real to me, not natural, NOT what I hear in real performance of music, and I don't seek it out obsessively. Might be fun with leafy substances etc. but I'm also not seeking that frame of mind out.

We're all different, which is why there's not one system, one set of recordings, etc.

*My speakers, two pairs of HR-1s of different vintage, and a pair of ERRs, are very good at presenting spatial information in an untreated room, this may be part of the reason I don't pursue these sort of 'effect' more enthusiastically.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #21 - 06/09/15 at 17:37:30

I see your points - I just think it's silly his using a rock concert as a reason why not to obsess over holographic imaging. It's just the broken logic that makes him sound like he's deluding himself.

Now, Iv'e got a friend who only listens to rock - his goal is to have a rock concert in his livingroom. he's got this giant vintage Klipsch and big McIntoch amps, and I don't think I've ever heard his system below window rattling levels.

Sure, someday I'll show him what my room can do, or better yet, Palomino's - but I know and understand he's got his thing and imaging aint it! LOL

In PoggRob's room I was blown away by the timbre and emotional content that improved as soon as we added a couple pairs of diffusers. I'm positive his system outstrips mine in musicality and emotional content. Hence my working on a better balance with my system...especially since I'm probably never going to get holographic imaging in this L shaped room...ugh.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #22 - 06/09/15 at 20:47:12

Well, you know which side of the Camp I'm on....with a Moniker of Stone of Tone.........for 20 years.

I miss Harvey dearly!
http://www.meta-gizmo.net/

My Acoustic Zen Adagio's gutted of the horse hockey x-over's they had. Now, in Full Range, with a single Mundorf  Mcap Supreme to each Tweeter/crossed at 4.5k-is Heaven of Tone an Timbre.
http://www.meta-gizmo.net/Tri/adv/STONEO_TONE.html

NATURAL MUSICAL TONE AFFECTS THE BRAIN IN EXACTLY THE SAME WAY AS.........you don't have to be a Stoner to get it....... . I'm not/nor was Harvey.

Dynamic's (my Adagio's)? Forgetta bout' it.....off the charts cohesive baby!
(Hey, I grew up in the Hudson Valley, just north of NYC).

Soundstage does not suck either...........Room Treatment/True. But don't obsess!

Peace, waiting for my Yggy fun! (Schiit)

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew
Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Decware DSD DAC / Recorder (@ -20 Ref Level @ 16/176.4)
Yggy coming! (Schiit Yggdrasil)

Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC .....for Input Tube)
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier (NOS/Platinum/Matsushita/National PCC88/7DJ8.....in A12 an B12 Input Tube positions)
Kimber Select KS3033 Speaker Cable

***Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)

XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/118, 119 an 120v are used/Multiwave off...ZMA on HC Output)

Decware SE84CS (NOS Svetlana SV83's from 1980's-not the New Sensor knock-offs) ...when SE Pentodes run in Triode/Decware Style...needs to be in the System!

***Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-on Tweets/4.5 cross
(Gutted: 3rd order Linkwitz/Riley's....with all crappy parts = gone).

[Mr. Lee's custom - w/less distortion under-hung neodymium shielded woofer's designed to his specifications in Germany & his in-house designed and made tweeter's.....Floor Spiked/78lb's each and at 48 inches tall.....can cause a Quake in the Room through these Transmission Lines when desired. Bass: deep - tight & musical at any Volume level with tonal balance].

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 08/06/15 at 04:21:23

As my understanding ;

There are two sound record characters to suit to each genres of music.  

Most music bands, particularly Jazz and acoustic instruments band : Sound engineer has to create most transparency, clarity and holographic image. Listener enjoys to hear each music instrument plays or dances together with others.  

While rock bands : Sound engineer has to create sound wall of keyboard, bass and drum rhythm (underground like Highway star song from Deep Purple) then singer voice and solo guitar to show melody note to be dominant inserted on the sound wall.

Audio Note DAC3.1 Custom modded to 4.1, DIY Duelund wire RCA IC, Offramp 5 USB SPDIF converter, Mac Mini, Amarra Symphony player,
Zen Mystery Amp. MIT Oracle speaker wire, Avalon Eidolon Diamond speakers. Coincident Statement preamp, Martin Logan Depth subwoofer
  IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 08/06/15 at 08:28:02

btw, my dm947s arrived today.  I've been listening to Hammer Dynamics speakers for the past few months.  they are 4 cu foot beasts with a 12 inch modified eminence, a simple, but physically large crossover, and some dome tweet.  crossed over way up high like 10k.  nearly single driver.  

But still, the dm947, even without breakin were just what I remembered.  they are clear in a way those big hammers cannot be (which makes me wonder about zu's and tektons and other similar large diameter "single" driver speakers)  do they all lose mid/high clarity?  

anyway, the dm947s are singing!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #25 - 08/06/15 at 15:56:23

Congrat's Steve on your new DM947's. I'm considering buying a pair, if Steve has them for me to take home at the Fest. I will inquire!

I've wanted all Decware in my chain for some time. Except Cables. Their is a relationship between my Kimber Select and Decware that can't be matched by regular Cables.

Still considering the ERRx's as well. I will listen to both at the Fest. Also, Steve's new Pre, Mono-blocks and Jr. will be fun to hear.

So, why do I want the DM947's or ERRx, when I have my modified Adagio's? Well, I know the DM947's are damn good...and rotating them against my Adagio's will be sweet Viola!

I'm not a fan of ZU...I had them in my Listening Room....not my taste...in part, to what you're onto in your mentioning.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3