Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 19:29:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CDApS Meeting - 5/31/15 (Read 24964 times)
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

CDApS Meeting - 5/31/15
05/31/15 at 13:46:28

After a long hiatus, Palomino, Raven and I (plus a special guest of Raven's) are holding a CDApS meeting at Palomino's abode today.

If you've been following the Belden and CDApS threads, Pal has been busy treating his room and enjoying some new cables.  I had the opportunity to hear his rig briefly before AXPONA and am looking forward it again!  He has great sound.

I'm going to bring a few goodies to swap in.  We'll see where the day takes us!

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: CDApS Meeting - 5/31/15
Reply #1 - 05/31/15 at 15:54:04

I don't know that I'd call Jester a special guest...but I realized late last night, that he could even be considered an Original Member...seeing as how he got his Zen amp back in '99 or '00 after I got mine, and has been to Steve's old shop back on Adams St (unfortunately when the room sounded like crap, before Steve worked it out).

He's a good friend and has helped me through some hard times, and he's my original listening buddy who's seen my (audio) madness since day one.

That said, he's been really busy TCB, and has some catching up to do. It reminds me how much we've grown as listeners since Palomino and I first met at Decfest and started listening together.

I'm really excited to have Jester listen to Palo's room since, IMHO it's the best I know of right now.

I'm going to see about packing up the DirectStream and ZMA so we can see how his well tweaked system stands up. I'm really looking forward to this!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/01/15 at 02:38:11

Sorry rob didn't see you had already started a thread on this.  Probably enough to fill two threads.  

If raven had left the ZMA and you left your coax, I'd be in pretty good shape.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 06/01/15 at 02:50:05

Cut and Paste from the *other* thread.   Smiley

Quote:
May Month-End CDApS Meeting
Today at 17:51:35   Well, we had quite an interesting CDApS meeting today.  Raven, Rob and newest member Jason (vintage Zen owner) met at my place.

Today, we cycled through 4 amps, starting with my black top, beeswax capped Rachael, then ProggRob's black top, beeswax capped Zen, then my white top, VCapped Torii 3 and for the grand finale, Raven's honking red-cap ZMA.

Each amp was fully warmed up as we had a bullpen with each amp plugged in (and small 8 ohm speakers attached) for a minimum of about 30 minutes before any amp was put on-stage (Raven, insert picture here).

I will let Raven and Rob (maybe Jason) provide more details, but each amps strengths and weaknesses were clearly apparent.  We also did a digital coax comparo which provided some interesting results.

We ran my Western Electric vintage wire throughout the afternoon.  We did not do any comparison, but I believe all agreed that it sounded good.

More later, but I wanted to kick the thread off.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 06/01/15 at 03:37:54

I'm going to try and keep this short. I'm exhausted and today was pretty amazing.

We held today's meet at Palomino's place. I kind of pushed for this because, IMHO he's got the better sounding *room*, and I wanted Jester to hear what a good room does for a system.

I showed up with my ZMA and Directstream. Palo was set with some snacks and drinks, and even had a staging area where we could plug in our amps to little desktop speakers just to warm up!

The blacktop Rachel was on deck in the room, and Palo had all his friggen diffusers in place. It's days like today when I know I'm a bad influence. Smiley  I had Jester take the hotseat, and it was immediately apparent that the system and especially the room sounded good!

We eventually went through the whole list of amps. ProggRobs CKCS, Palos Whitetop Torii III, and My ZMA - all running through Palo's gear, with ProgRobbs Digital cable (which we did an A-B-A test on and it was nice!) I have to say, I think it's the best I've heard the ZMA via RCA. That Chord DAC and it's high voltage output rocks.

The Rachel sounds good as always, I've always enjoyed it.

The transparency of the CKCS just shines above everything else. But it stumbles over really dynamic tracks.

The Torii III sounds great, and has horsepower and doesn't stumble at all - I was afraid to bring my gear in because this setup was simply outstanding. But it doesn't have the finesse, grip, and flat out grunt of the ZMA. I was honestly blown away by how good the ZMA sounded in Palo's room. The best I'd heard the ZMA yet.

So, excitedly, after hearing the ZMA just rock the room and handle everything with ease, I grab the DirectStream and my mobile setup and plug it all in and let it warm up a bit. We had a ground loop right of the bat, and some sort of weird gnat like buzzing that poked it's head out with some high frequency notes. Rob and Palo basically ran from the room it sounded so bad. I'm not sure what was going on there, so we packed it up and headed home.

Overall a great night. I'm setting up my ZMA and DirectSteam at home to see if the issue was at my source, or just mobile.

ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #5 - 06/01/15 at 03:45:19

CDApS meetings are like audiophile crack.  I enjoyed so many things about the day's session and believe it was the best for me this far.  First, I have to mention the company.  It was great getting together again with the guys and it was even better to have a fourth person with us.  Palomino was a great host and provided snacks and beer.  Raven has officially named Jayson a member so we are are expanding!  I am hoping someone with graphic design skills will make us laminated membership cards Wink

And then there is the gear.  4 amps, 2 DACs and 2 digital cables made the rounds today.  We pretty much listened to Pal's Chord DAC the whole time.  Raven's PS Audio DirectStream and computer server experienced some unfortunate technical issues, but there was plenty of action otherwise.

I brought my High Fidelity CT-1E digital coax cable with me, and after we got a baseline with the Stereolab, we swapped in the HFC.  For all those out there who believe bits are bits, there are four people today who all heard what a great digital cable can bring.  Yes, it is subtle, but over time, track after track, Palomino kept saying "that's the best I've ever heard it."  More accurate bass, more detail, better tonality.  LR and Jayson snickered when I told them how much I paid for it, so while it's a great cable, not everyone will believe it's worth it!!

CAUTION: Amp comparisons ahead.  These are just opinions.

Overall, I enjoyed the ZMA and the Zen the most.  These amps are at opposite ends of the spectrum but they do what they do so well that it is very easy to appreciate them.  The Rachael and the Torii show a blend of the ZMA and Zen's traits.  They are wonderful overall performers but don't exhibit superlative performance in ethereal, 3D transparency like the Zen or the tight, balsy, grippy finesse of the ZMA.  However, when we were listening to the Torii I thought to myself that if I hadn't just heard the Rachael and Zen, I would be totally, completely satisfied with its performance.  I told Tom he should consult Will, resident Torii tube rolling guru, and he could roll that thing to heaven.  

More later...

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 06/01/15 at 04:08:31

Small update - I have my setup plugged in, warmed up, and my systems back! I'm listening to a album I picked up from Blue Coast Records today.

http://wil.downloadsnow.net/solo-acoustic

I grabbed it because I like how they recorded the guitar. Very chimey and live sounding.

So I'm guessing that whatever caused that ground loop is what was causing the fatiguing noise hidden in the music. I'm back to black background and live sounding music. Not holographic like what Palo is approaching, but no issues.

That digital cable thing - I grew up in the bits is bits crowd, but I've done many tests with the DirectStream that has proven to me that bits might be bits, but jitter/distortion can stick it's ugly head into the mix. I'm not sure what that one digital cable does that Palos cable doesn't, but we all heard tighter, more accurate bass, more texture and micro-detail in general. Again, it wasn't huge, and IMHO I don't think I could afford a cable like this - but it proved a point to both myself and Jester - bits are bits, but there is more to it than that. Even if it's only a 1% improvement. If your room is done well like the one we were listening in, and your gear is right, then those last few percent here and there might be worth the expense. I've said before, it's like a drag car. Sure you can build a 9 second car for $100k, but you want an 8.9 second car and you need to dump another $50k in there to squeeze that extra few percent out. Diminishing returns, but return none the less.

I think this was very eye opening for Jester - he's been listening with me since the very first Zen amp...what, 18 years ago now!?! He purchased one himself shortly after I got mine. And he's been wondering all this time what the sound is I'm striving for - well, Palomino is really close! I'm wondering if Jesters cheap CD player and 18 year old amp and my old Polk LS-70 speakers could be brought into the 21st century with a room full of diffusers.  :)

Lots to mull over, but I can't get over what great time we had. Funny thing was, we hardly talked. It was almost all business - like we were on a mission.  :)

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 06/01/15 at 04:15:24

Hey, I just realized something as I was about to go to bed - we didn't have that hot high end and sibilance, even though the room was stuffed with styro diffusers. I'm wondering if the warmer/smoother presentation of those WE speaker cables, and the mix of wood diffusers helped tame the high end enough that the styro diffusers could add air without making the room sound like sandblasting icicles ...or whatever.  :)

Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #8 - 06/01/15 at 13:10:52

Great experiences, guys. I'm sure it was pretty fun!

I'm about to order the ABB1 type difussors from PI Audio (2 pairs, 4' x 2'), to start with. Once I have them set-up I'll see what else to get to complement them. I definitely need to really improve difussion in my smallish room.

Since apparently the Rachael and Torii seem to be in the middle of that continuum range between the Super Zen and the ZMA, I wonder where my Mini Torii lies in that spread. I guess it runs in a parallel range where it is the only contender (unless an Ultralinear joins it in the near future, given its expected attributes).

I mean, the Mini is not that transparent but it's more dynamic than the Rachael, but with less power than all of them except the Super Zen. I wonder what the coming mods in the Mini would do for it.

Congrats!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #9 - 06/01/15 at 13:12:59

I wonder if we could get our hands on a Mini Torii and a pair of Monos for a future meeting.  Hmmm....

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #10 - 06/01/15 at 13:28:57

I would be very interested in reading about your opinions on the Mini Torii vis à vis the rest of your collective amps. I expect it to be sitting in some niche there, as a small jack of all trades ...

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/01/15 at 14:17:38

Great summary guys and thanks for the pics Raven.  Sorry I started the other thread.  Write it off to being overly enthusiastic.

I can't say I disagree with anything that has been said.  After hearing multiple warmed up amps all in a row, I do stand my my amp comparisons which I listed in the other thread (albeit somewhat tongue in cheek).  I'll go back and review my comments to be sure.

More than ever, I think you can encounter sonic bliss with any of these amps, just different flavors of yummy as somebody once said here on the forum.

On the bits is bits, I found this to not be true when I upgraded to the Stereovox.  Hugh difference.  Rob's cable improvement was more subtle, but certainly there.  WE listened mostly to the bass line in Cosmic Hippo, but there was more detail and tighter bass for sure.  By the end of day, I was trying get Rob to leave it.  But if anyone wants a nice upgrade for not much $$$, I bought the Stereovox from Stone for $75.  They are available used.  A real bargain.

Per Raven's comment on the sibilance, maybe that is what makes the WE speaker wires so listenable.  I think the diffusion helps, but the wire has a smooth melodic sound.  I feared you guys were going to come in and pronounce it too laid back.

I think the Chord handled itself well.  Rob's cable showed there is more it can deliver if the right connections are in place.  I was bummed about the DS because I wanted to hear balanced in my room.  I want to hear the DS/Zen combo as well.

I'd also like to see what tubes and/or beeswax caps can do in the Torii 3.   Compared to Rachael, and especially the Zen, it sounds slow to me.

I'll swap the Styx back in some time this week to see how it compares to the WE.

Bring on the mini and the monos.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #12 - 06/01/15 at 14:29:49

I was very impressed by the speaker cable.  The presentation had much less grain compared to the last time I listened to you system, and it managed to smooth things out without sacrificing detail.  That's a perfect combination.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 06/01/15 at 14:39:02

Pal, re: Torri Mk III with Beeswax caps, I have two--one that was upgraded from then stock caps, and one that came with the Beeswax caps installed by Steve as an option when new.

I think that "speed" is the definer of what I hear as the biggest difference between the well seasoned stock capped amp and the same amp with broken in Beeswax caps. .. . The biggest difference is "openness" in that there just didn't seem to be much of a frequency range at all just one big sonic presentation. The midrange became more open in general and integrated into the top and bottom. This was especially so with Gold Lion and TAD KT-66 tubes, the midrange just didn't exist it was just the music flowing. "Speed" is what I think allowed this.

I have no experience with V-Caps in the Torris (or elsewhere) so don't know how they present in the amps.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 06/01/15 at 15:35:12

Thanks Lon.

I believe I have read and I think Rob mentioned yesterday that the VCaps are supposed to have more of a "hi-fi" sound.  I think this means smoother presentation.

I'd really like to hear what beeswax sound like in a MK3.  I think it would be a killer combo and bring it closer to the ZMA.

Not disliking the VCapped Torii, just wonder when I hear Rachael and especially the Zen.  I fact the reason Rachael was first up yesterday was because I have been listening to it for lighter, less dynamically challenging music recently.

Also, I liked the bullpen idea with the on-deck amp warming up.  Maybe a Zenfest idea??

BTW, the white diffusers in the pictures are actually the inverse of the styro diffuser on my back wall (not shown in any pics).  These are what those fractal diffusers come packaged in.  Its the original styro block they are cut from, reused as a shipping container.  Anyway, Raven said he took a saw to his and produced inverse diffusers, so I did the same.  I haven't painted them yet because I was just trying them out this weekend.  I like what I hear, but will try them in a couple of different positions.  I wonder if you could model what they are doing?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #15 - 06/01/15 at 16:32:43

Quote:
Per Raven's comment on the sibilance, maybe that is what makes the WE speaker wires so listenable.  I think the diffusion helps, but the wire has a smooth melodic sound.  I feared you guys were going to come in and pronounce it too laid back.

Honestly, the WE wire was the *last* thing on my mind yesterday - so that tells me they are just fine. I kinda wish we had swapped in Zen Styx at some point - to me, silver enhances the high end a little bit, and I like that detail...but maybe as you've said, you've "got too much silver"?

Quote:
Also, I liked the bullpen idea with the on-deck amp warming up.  Maybe a Zenfest idea??

Steve does this already with his amps - he's usually got two or more on deck, and in the shop where his Mac is he's got space for a couple more amps. In fact, seeing your little shelf setup totally reminded me of Steve's shop.

Quote:
BTW, the white diffusers in the pictures are actually the inverse of the styro diffuser on my back wall (not shown in any pics).  These are what those fractal diffusers come packaged in.  Its the original styro block they are cut from, reused as a shipping container.  Anyway, Raven said he took a saw to his and produced inverse diffusers, so I did the same.  I haven't painted them yet because I was just trying them out this weekend.  I like what I hear, but will try them in a couple of different positions.  I wonder if you could model what they are doing?

Yeah, I kinda spaced out and forgot to take photos of the rear wall. Between not wanting to stand in the sound field with others listening, and getting frustrated with that ground loop issue on the DS - I just totally forgot.

To clarify a little bit, here is my fractal diffusers, and the "inverse" that they are shipped in. They are CNC wire cut for precision, and literally shipped in their own carcas.  :)  I asked the shop that made these, if they've taken measurements of the inverse to see if they'd perform well in any capacity, and they said it never occurred to them (sigh). That said, they are concave, and that's usually very bad for a listening room. But I think with some clever trimming and even more clever placement, that they can have a place in the listening room.

Another thing I think I kind of glazed over in my eagerness to get some sleep - one thing that blew Jester's mind - when we played Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, he said that with his eyes closed, he was hearing the room in which the recording was made in front of him - not the room he was in. *that's* when I know Palomino's got his diffusers working well.   Smiley
When we later had sound palpably taking up space in the room, that's when I knew this room was on the verge of something really magical. This room is approaching what Steve had in his old house off Adams Street that I heard all those years ago.

Man I need a dedicated room...

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 06/01/15 at 18:31:21

At the risk of being called nuts and/or a troll, I bring up the fact that ProggRob's digital cable was louder that my Stereovox xv2.  1-2 clicks on his Zen stepped attenuator.  I have read some reviews on this impressive cable, but nothing explaining how a digital cable could be louder.  I did read one review that stated "the CT-1E energized the entire system."

If anyone can venture an explanation, I am all ears.

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #17 - 06/01/15 at 18:48:08

Pal, you aren't crazy.  We all heard that.  However, I actually didn't notice much of this when I did my shootout with other cables last fall.  It could be a phenomenon just related to your Stereovox.  On the contrary, is your Stereovox reducing the volume?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 06/01/15 at 18:52:38

Hmmm, interesting idea.  I don't recall it changing the volume when I swapped it in for my signal cable coax.  

Something definitely going on there.

Which cables again, did this one beat out?

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #19 - 06/01/15 at 18:55:12

To me it was superior to all of the following cables:

Shunyata Python
Synergistic Research Element Series Copper (both tuning bullets)
Stereolab Master Reference 818
Snake River Audio Boomslang
Grover Huffman ZX+

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 06/02/15 at 14:27:28

Another observation I wanted to make was the varying levels of each amp's ability to fill out instruments or voices in the soundstage.

Raven, I have listened to that live recording you were using as an example of the voice filling up space.  With the Torii, the voice still floats on the 3D plane and has good body, but it is not as big as with the ZMA.  I don't believe that we were listening much louder on the ZMA, if at all, but the ZMA still seems to push out a more fuller sound at the same volume.

I also contacted the designer of the fractal diffusers and inquired about the inverse being used.  He said he couldn't be definitive unless he modeled it, but thought they would initially focus, but wasn't sure what the sound wave would be like when it reached your ear.  He didn't encourage it in critical settings.

I am going to continue to experiment with them.  I ran 3 across the front sideways on the bass-traps/diffusers last night and felt it decreased the sound stage.  A single one sideways in the middle seemed to increase the soundstage height.f

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #21 - 06/02/15 at 15:45:36

My Kimber KS-2020 is louder than my Illuminati D-60. Interesting, can't explain.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 06/02/15 at 15:52:20

Stone, BTW, your old Stereovox VX2 held up pretty well against the 10X more expensive digital cable.  Once we did the A/B the differences became apparent when listening for specific traits, but overall, you had to listen for the differences.  I will say, however, once we heard them, we were spoiled.

Shocker.  Digital Cables matter.  Its got me thinking about USB...

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #23 - 06/02/15 at 16:02:18

Yeah, the Stereovox is a great Digital Cable. But, my favorite from Chris Somovigo, is my Illuminati D-60. I've tried a half dozen in the 2k range and still love the D-60 best.

Spoiled is correct. I went back to using my KS3033 over my KS3035 with my two KS1030 IC's...and the D-60 or KS2020....my Heaven.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 06/02/15 at 16:06:40

I might pick one up used just to see.  I can't afford the big bucks cables, but used, these look reasonable.  I think you sold one a while back.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #25 - 06/02/15 at 16:11:10

Yes, well worth your time, keeping an eye out for a used Illuminati D-60 on AgoN or CanAudioMart, etc... .

I kept my 2nd D-60....I did not want to regret selling it. It will be used in my 2nd System with my SE84CS and either my ZDSD or Yggdrasil (Yggy)......coming in July.

Try to find a used  Illuminati D-60. However, Kimber bought the rights years ago from Chris S. for this Digital Cable. If you can find an Kimber Illuminations D-60 used = it is the equivalent.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #26 - 06/02/15 at 19:42:09

Where are you guys using the digital cable: From the PC or Transport to the DAC? Are these Coaxial cables like in S/PDIF? The only digital cable I use is the USB, since I use that interface for my PC to DAC bridge.

I assume RCA's (or XRL if balanced) need to work in the analog realm: After the DAC and before the Preamp or Amp. Am I right?

Thanks for any clarification.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 06/02/15 at 19:54:57

RCA or XLR coaxial cable, 75 ohm or 110 ohm respectively, is a common S/PDIF connection between transport (one kind or another) and DAC. So in this case these cables are not being used for analong but to carry digital information.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 06/02/15 at 19:55:10

The path was Mac Mini --> USB --> SPDIF Converter --> Digital Coax --> DAC --> RCA to amp.

USB in the original Chord Qute was not optimal.  Sound is greatly enhanced via SPDIF.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #29 - 06/02/15 at 20:05:06

It does make you question USB?

Viva:
Illuminati D-60 (now Illuminations D-60.....owned by Kimber)
Kimber Select KS-2020
Stereovox XV2
CT-1E

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 06/02/15 at 20:15:10

I have a borrowed, lower end Pangea USB.  I think the SPDIF converter sorts things out a bit, but just wondered what kind of lift, if any, I could get with a better USB in the chain.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #31 - 06/02/15 at 20:21:55

This is my goal: To research and find a premium USB to my Yggy. The Yggdrasil's USB guts, are supposed to match or exceed an Off Ramp 5.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #32 - 06/02/15 at 20:29:06

Stone, I believe that beating the Off-Ramp 5 will depend more upon the USB implementation in the Yggy than the choice of cable.  I hear that the USB receiver in the Yggy is their 3rd generation board and that it exceeds even their highly regarded v2 board.  You may find that a decent USB cable (such as the $25 job offered on the Schiit website) may be equal to or superior to having an OR5 in the chain.  Just a thought.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 06/02/15 at 20:29:48

My plan is for Rob to buy YggY, invite him to my house to hear it in my room, ply him with beers till he passes out, stash it somewhere, make house look like its been ransacked, and tell him it has been stolen when he wakes up.

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #34 - 06/02/15 at 20:30:28

As long as there is free beer.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 06/02/15 at 20:31:08

ahhhh, you weren't supposed to see that.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #36 - 06/02/15 at 20:38:57

ahhhh, to funny Pal. ....ransacked!

Yes ProggRob. Their $25 cable into their USB implementation. If the USB & DAC impress come July......what a value the Yggy will turn out to be.

Now.....if I can get my Son to turn over his MacBook Pro?! He probably wants to upgrade anyway.  After all, I am writing him a check to cover some of his expenses at Stanford this Fall Quarter!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #37 - 06/02/15 at 21:27:22

Thanks for the confirmation, Lon. Yes, the USB cable (I'm using Audioquest Forest) may make a difference also. I may want to try a better one without breaking an already broken bank!

Regarding the Yggdrasil USB directly beating the socks out of an Audio GD Master 7 coupled with the best USB/i2S converter (Off Ramp 5) means one of three possibilities:

1. The Schiit DAC is better than the Master 7's and the digital interfaces are equivalent (USB vs Off Ramp 5)

2. The Schiit DAC is better than the Master 7's in spite of its USB being inferior to the Off Ramp 5

3. The Schiit DAC is better than the Master 7's but also the Schiit USB is better than the Off Ramp 5

To me, propositions 1 & 2 make more sense than the last one. The Schiit DAC is, of course, better than the Master 7 by itself in every respect, as reported by experienced users of both devices (Purrin and DacLadder at the Head Fi forums).

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #38 - 06/02/15 at 21:42:00

I believe the cabling matters, depending on the hardware implementation. The DirectStream is rather cable agnostic because all the inputs ultimately go through the FPGA the same way. So differences in inputs are very much minimized. To me, USB on the DS seemed the best, but that could also be because I have the ability to run DSD 5.6 directly.

I wouldn't mind trying some high priced USB, or other high priced cables. But I wouldn't expect as much of a chance as we heard in Palo's room with the Chord.

Call it synergy, or just leveraging the best input/output hardware.  :)

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print