04/18/24 at 13:11:18 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Yggdrasil DAC thread (Read 70080 times)
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Yggdrasil DAC thread
05/26/15 at 08:13:48

I keep reading about this dac, and I see so much hype and questions and confusion and answers.  I'm starting this thread to collect links to info I find about this dac.   A buffet of pertinent answers for the decware crowd.   As I find things, I'll just Re-Edit this first post with new info and time stamp it.

I'm loving my dac.  It blows away everything I've ever heard, though I haven't heard lots of big dollar dacs.  Looking forward to more real comparisons and other owner opinios.  In the mean time, I keep digging for info to support my purchasing decision and to affirm my brand loyalty. Smiley     Schiit and Decware... nearly unconditional brand loyalty here.  

(Most of this is coming from head-fi.org.  Search Baldr's posts.  That's Mike moffat)

Things I've read:

===Yggy comparable to some dac costing 4X as much.
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/schiit-yggdra...

MSB Technology The Analog DAC  $10,000.  A guy who can afford these toys says the Yggy is very nice, but he likes his MSB a bit better.  Others are saying if Yggy $2300 is punching 4x above it's weight, it's a winner.

===Confusion about burn in vs leaving it on all the time for steady state temperature

Leaving the DAC on all the time.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-...

"I have been dealing with subjective impressions of cold vs. warmed up D to A converters I have designed for over 30 years.  Where there are many opinions, here are some laws of the engineering physical universe:
In the case of brand new passive components, reliability increases an order of magnitude in each successive 24 hours of burn-in.  In the 1980’s, with through-hole parts, approximately .5% of such parts failed randomly in the first 24 hours.
"

===closed form digital filter, frequency domain and time domain optimization. (sounds like this explains the BASS clarity i'm hearing)

Digital Filter.  The original team of engineers.  time domain optimization.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/667711/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil/4950#post_1139...

"It is our time domain optimization that gives the uncanny sonic hologram that only Thetas and Yggys do. (It also allows the filter to disappear. Has to be heard to understand.) Since lower frequency wavelengths are measured in tens of feet, placement in image gets increasingly wrong as a function of decreasing frequency in non time domain optimized recordings"

history of the schiit digital filter

more filter

"Digitally, it takes nothing away from the original information. Nothing, nada, ******-all. It then takes a weighted average of the original samples and adds frequency (read flat) and time (read image) extra info between the samples to convert the samples to 352.8/396KHz. All complete calculations – NO approximations. All info is a function of the original. Real math – hard science. Not psychology or social science. 2 + 2 = 4. Now and forever."

===jitter measurements (best the guy ever measured)

computeraudiophile measurements
lowest jitter
http://www.head-fi.org/t/764787/yggdrasil-technical-measurements/30#post_1161278...

"The jitter measurements are the lowest I have ever seen on a DAC. This represents a significant milestone in converter development. Congratulations to Mike Moffat and schiit!"

Other posts in this thread by the same guy "atomicbob"  are:  
"Now listening to the yggdrasil, and I get what @purrin is on about. Two very fine DACs, but so far there is something missing from the yggdrasil - the digital hash or glare that exists with S-D designs. Digital vinyl is now real."

"I know this will be requested but I will not be measuring higher sample rates for some time. As @purrin mentioned in one of his posts on the preview of yggdrasil, I don't think any of us have really heard what 44x16 pcm can deliver until now."

===r2r multibit vs delta sigma

delta sigma is "cheap"

he clarifies... it is "inexpensive" compared to multibit.

dac chips in yggy
"not designed for audio"  but $400 dollars worth of them in a yggy.

updated 1:30.
updated 1 am.
created 5/26/15 midnight

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Yggdrasil DAC thread
Reply #1 - 05/26/15 at 13:01:36

Neat information. Sounds like you love your Yggie the way that I love my DirectStream! Glad you have found the bliss and keep on enjoying the music!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #2 - 05/26/15 at 13:07:41

Yeah, interesting. I'm waiting for mine to make it this way: ETA end of June.

My reasoning stemmed from my experience with the Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014): A terrific Sabre DAC, whose bigger and way better sibling, NFB 7, is trumped by the other (UK) chip, flagship Master 7. That was the world for me until I learned from people I trust, especially a guy who had the Master 7 for over two years and linked to an expensive USB/i2S converter (Off Ramp 5) and literally said the Yggy is head and shoulders better in all respects!

Now, other very experienced people have attested the same about the Yggy, so against all my conservative instincts, I jumped through the rabbit hole! I can't wait for it to show up and hear what the fuzz is all about.

The fact that it doesn't do more than a measley 20 bits resolution, is even more compelling. As if the true nature of the conversion went to the heart of the recording instead of having to compensate with higher but empty resolution (reminds me of the few but precious watts in a Decware amp: They count for a lot more than the rest!).

When it and my system (which is currently undergoing major surgery for the better) are finally in steady-state, I'll report my subjective appraisal. In the meantime, I'll be pending for any news in your post. Thanks!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/26/15 at 14:16:09

Thanks for the links SteveC.  I'll look forward to reading them as I have time.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #4 - 05/26/15 at 16:21:55

"It's the best DAC I know how to build," says Mike Moffat. "We're very proud of its performance – and we're very excited to be able to deliver this level of performance to the overwhelming majority of PCM music that everyone already owns."

I like Moffat's attitude (especially towards DSD too):

Decoding takes in PCM ~ no DSD. If that news causes you horror then you're likely pulling from a vanishing small digital library. Ask yourself how many DSD releases you own? Your DSD playlist cowers in the shadow of PCM, casted by the many millions of PCM encoded releases. Disdain for DSD barely concealed, the message from Stoddard and Moffat is, "Grab a Loki if you want  DSD".

I ordered the Yggdrasil. It will get run in 15 hours a day x 10 = 150. Then I'll sit down and compare it to my ZDSD running PCM Up-sampled (and Recorded). I will then have 5 days of audition left = 15.....to return or keep. Their 5% restocking fee and shipping to an from CA...is fair.

She might be a winner. If the "Yggy pop" is?! Then its price will certainly rise by October, etc... . Of course on backorder till the end of June. I hope to report about her come the end of July or by mid August. Depends where I sit on the backorder FIFO list.

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew
Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC
Decware DSD DAC / Recorder (@ -20 Ref Level @ 16/176.4)
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC .....for Input Tube)
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier (NOS/Platinum/Matsushita/National PCC88/7DJ8.....in A12 an B12 Input Tube positions)
Kimber Select KS3033 Speaker Cable

***Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)

XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/118, 119 an 120v are used/Multiwave off...ZMA on HC Output)

Decware SE84CS (NOS Svetlana SV83's from 1980's-not the New Sensor knock-offs) ...when SE Pentodes run in Triode/Decware Style...needs to be in the System!

***Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-on Tweets/4.5 cross
(Gutted: 3rd order Linkwitz/Riley's....with all crappy parts = gone).

[Mr. Lee's custom - w/less distortion under-hung neodymium shielded woofer's designed to his specifications in Germany & his in-house designed and made tweeter's.....Floor Spiked/78lb's each and at 48 inches tall.....can cause a Quake in the Room through these Transmission Lines when desired. Bass: deep - tight & musical at any Volume level with tonal balance].

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #5 - 05/26/15 at 18:02:18

I should add, I won't be selling my Decware ZDSD, even if the Yggdrasil is the SCHIIT! hehehe.   Playback/up-sampled an recordings I'm making with it and Steve's output stage is wonderful.

However, just like I bought Steve's DAC an Recorder for PCM...for the right reasons.....I am excited to get the Yggdrasil in. The Hoffman Forum I will continue to follow:
"In my opinion, where the Yggdrasil really shines is Redbook playback. Using a modern Sony BD player and a S/PDIF cable from Blue Jeans Cable, the Yggy makes every CD I throw in an adventure".

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/27/15 at 01:33:45

I'm pretty sure I have an old Theta cd player in my storage closet that a friend gave to me.  Maybe I should dig it out for S&G's!  I know all of the modern gear will sound better, but by how much....

Looking forward to what the Decware community has to say about this new DAC...

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 05/27/15 at 04:28:46

I hear you Dave. .....but by how much? I know my modified DAC by Steve and the Yggdrasil, is all anyone needs.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 05/27/15 at 14:13:34

Oh, the wit/humor!

Found in the FAQ section for the Yggdrasil:

You guys are crazy!

Yes. We know that. And so are you. You're considering a $2,300, 25-lb product that does the same basic thing as a $0.32 chip in your iPhone.

So why would I want this instead of the 24-bit DAC in my iPhone?

Leave. Now.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/28/15 at 11:00:20

Apparently, I can't edit the first post anymore.

Jason Stoddard, the other half of Schiit, wrote literally a book, in 42 chapters.  It is an amazing read, going into how a small company can best interact with its customers, how it can save money by offering fewer choices and options, how it can retain best product value by focusing on the performance rather than the appearance.  (no audio jewelry by schiit. just inexpensive folded aluminum - to reduce number of case screws).  Huh... focusing on pure audio performance, no fancy milled gold plated displays, etc.  sound like another direct to consumer company we all know of?  

anyway, one of the chapters is about the digital filter and R2R vs delta/sigma philosophy behind schiit.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-imp...

I enjoyed the whole thread so much and this post is so pertinent to "what's really different about this much hyped dac?"  that i'll paste it here too.  it's long.

======================paste (only a subset of the original post).

Digital Yesterday: Steady Progression

When digital audio was new, you could pretty much chart the steady, linear progression of the technology for about a decade. From the first 14-bit multiplexed non-oversampling DACs in CD players in 1982, to the fully realized, 8x oversampling, 20 bit ladder DACs in the top DACs of the early 90s, there was clear and steady progress:

•14 bit multiplexed D/A converters in CD players, no oversampling, brickwall filtering
•The first 16 bit converters, still with no oversampling and brickwalled
•16 bit converters with 4x oversampling, to eliminate the brickwall filter
•Standalone DACs with 18 bit converters and 4x/8x upsampling
•Standalone DACs with custom DSP filtering, 20 bit converters and 8x upsampling

And, along the way, you could chart the course in measurements. D/A converters got more linear, less noisy, and achieved higher performance by every measure. New versions of the old products performed better, because the multibit technology behind them was improving. Publications like Stereophile started measuring jitter, which raised awareness of its importance and led to jitter numbers steadily decreasing.

The result? By the early 1990s, it was possible to get 19+ bits of linearity out of multibit converters—a huge leap forward from the 13 or so bits of early CD players.

Progress wasn’t only made on the playback side, either. Mobile Fidelity contracted Mike Moffat (yes, our Mike Moffat) and Nelson Pass to create their GAIN system, an insane recording chain with a real 16-bit oven-controlled multibit DAC that output linear PCM with no missing codes up to 500kHz rates. This multi-chassis product took up almost a full equipment rack…but it was what was necessary to do good 16-bit ladder analog to digital conversion. Arguably, it still is.

Now, of course, there was only one problem with all of this progress: price.

Check the historic price of a PCM63 D/A converter, and you’ll quickly realize that it’s something that will never appear in an iPhone (nor would it fit.)

So, what to do? D/A chip manufacturers came to the rescue with products based on 1-bit sigma-delta modulation. These products were less expensive, easier to use, and more highly integrated. And they measured pretty well.

Another leap forward? In one way, yes. Without sigma-delta D/A converters, we wouldn’t have the wide range of DACs and ADCs we have today. Your smartphone has a DAC in it with specs we would have killed for in 1990. The analog to digital converter inside it may even output 24 bit samples, at higher sample rates than we would have ever imagined.

And we can’t underemphasize the impact of sigma-delta technology. It has allowed us to create more DACs (and ADCs) more inexpensively, with higher performance than we would have guessed, 20 years ago.

But we did lose something in all of this progress.

Digital Today: The Lost Decades

Today, it’s largely a sigma-delta world.

•Recording. Most recording studios use analog to digital converters that employ A/D chips that use an intermediary multibit sigma-delta format before their PCM output. Note that this isn’t DSD. And note that even sigma-delta can have shades—single bit, multibit, etc.

•Mixing. From there, the PCM output is mixed/mastered in PCM (pretty much all mixing and mastering is in PCM…yes, even recordings that end up as DSD.)

•Playback. From there, it’s typically going to be compressed and downloaded or streamed to a player using a multibit sigma-delta D/A converter.

Or, in the case of some crazy audiophiles like us, it’s stored uncompressed, maybe even in high-res, before going to a DAC with a fancy multibit sigma-delta D/A converter.

Or, in a literal handful of cases, it might go to a true multibit R-2R converter, just like the old days. But that’s a fraction of a fraction of a percent.

“So, who cares what it is, I just want good sound!” you say.

And we agree! We’re far too wrapped up in formats. Take that format-proselytizing energy and aim it at the studios. Lobby them to produce better recordings. That will produce greater benefit than any format “regime change.”

But…here’s the deal (and here’s where we get philosophical.) In today’s sigma-delta world, we’ve lost something that we consider important: the original samples.

They’re destroyed by upsampling, they are destroyed by asynchronous sample rate conversion, they’re destroyed by sigma-delta D/A ICs. What you hear is an interpretation, a guess, at what the original content was (they don’t call them successive-approximation converters for nothing.)

“But this can’t possibly matter, it’s hard to measure the distortion of your typical ASRC, for example,” some will say.

Hard to measure doesn’t mean it isn’t there, we say.

Bottom line, it’s a mathematical fact that samples that have passed through a digital filter, an asynchronous sample rate converter, or a sigma-delta modulator are not retained. There is no closed-form solution to the math.

“And why should that matter to me?” you ask.

Maybe it doesn’t. Maybe the approximation is good enough.

But maybe it isn’t.

And this is where we get to the core of what Yggdrasil is about: what if we haven’t been hearing everything PCM is capable of, because we’ve been hearing it on delta-sigma technology that throws away the original samples?

Yeah. We know. We’re crazy.

And perhaps we are. Perhaps it will make no difference at all. Perhaps it won’t be important to anyone other than us. But the fact is: we have a solution to retain the reproduce the original samples, without the drawbacks of a non-oversampling design. It is in Yggdrasil. And we’ll see what you think, very, very soon.

And that is the absolute core of our digital philosophy: retaining the original samples, all the way through to the output.

“But, It Doesn’t Matter, Because…”

Because this position, this philosophy, is so counter to the currently accepted wisdom, I’ve prepared a quick discussion of possible objections to it, for your convenience.

“It doesn’t matter anyway, because everything comes from a delta-sigma ADC these days. Do you have any original bits at all?”

Actually, this isn’t entirely accurate. There are still multibit ADCs out there, though they are probably thin on the ground. There are also plenty of recordings made with multibit ADCs, including Mike’s GAIN system. They don’t disappear when new technology appears. And, you know what? Instead of being fatalistic and negative, we’d like to consider the best-case scenario: that we actually push PCM’s capabilities forward to the point where new multibit ADCs appear.

“But how can those old DACs possibly perform better than the best of today? They’re only 20/48. We have 32/768.”

Going from 16/44 to 20/44 actually makes more difference than anything else, when it comes to digital. Why? Although the Nyquist theorem says you can perfectly reconstruct a waveform from digital with 2X the sample rate, it assumes an infinite-bit ADC with no quantization error. The more levels, the less the quantization error. 16 bit = 65536 levels, 20 bit = 1048576 levels. 24 bits is 16 million+ levels, but nobody has ever achieved 24 bit linearity, period. The best DACs are about 19.5-20 bits, even after 20 years of “progress.” (Hence, “the lost decades.”) Higher sample rates are nice for analog filtering, but limit the amount of horsepower a digital filter can bring to bear…and it takes up more storage space. So that’s a tradeoff. And “32 bit?” LOLOLROFLCOPTER. There will never be any 32 bit music. Because physics.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 05/28/15 at 15:07:04

Thanks SteveC, I'm enjoying the read.
Yeah, you only have 24 to 36 hours to edit/add further thoughts to posts before it IP logs.

I so look forward to hearing what they (Stoddard & Moffat) have created.

Lets see what the lost bits.....original samples (multibit ADC's when used~buried in a lot of my CD's = 1,600) are all about vs. higher sample rates are nice for analog filtering, then thru output stage (what I'm currently doing).

I have to get a minimum of 165 hours on the Yggy, before any critical comparison vs. my PCM functioning/up-sampled ZDSD... . I'm up for the challenge!

Well, here's hoping for earlier shipping then late June. My Credit Card has been charged!  However, I probably won't get my Yggy till mid July. I can just hope earlier.

I was hoping Audio Alchemy was going to impress me with its new offering(s). They have not...... .

Glad the Theta Guys have their Hat in the Ring.

Steve's Player I have, is most impressive. His Output Stage fleshes out so much!

Back to the Yggy: I will use/try Coax and BNC Inputs.
It will be interesting to see what the VCO/VCXO Indicator, thinks of Transport. ....should be fine.
See page 7 & 8 about VCO/VCXO.....in Yggy Manual:
http://schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/yggdrasil_manual_1_1.pdf

I will use summed unbalanced and balanced Output via Cardas XLR adaptor's as well.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 05/28/15 at 16:40:10

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/28/15 at 18:55:29

Page 8 of the yggy manual in your link below says old cd players can drift and light up the "buy better gear" light. I was surprised to see it say even cheap computers seem to be fine.

My server is a cheap atom fanless thing from the days netbooks were all the rage. Win7. Foobar. External slow 1Tb drive. Connect through toslink then usb. This thing is so underpowered that using the foobar find window, I can "out-type" the search feature by several seconds as it tries to catch up seeking within 24,000 songs.  40% steady CPU utilization just playing foobar. And yet, the bad input light has never come on.  

I guess crap PC servers really are just fine.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 05/28/15 at 21:06:45

It's the advancement in crystal manufacturing technology that keeps the newer cheap stuff on frequency so well.
The old stuff, even though pricey and maybe even temp controlled, just didn't have the "physical" accuracy, plus the crystal load caps will get old and drift.

IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/29/15 at 07:42:15

That makes sense.  oscillator circuit would keep on frequency regardless of other things a burdened pc/cpu were doing.

And the age effects on old capacitors, like in an LC circuit makes complete sense too

thanks

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #15 - 05/29/15 at 16:01:38

Yes, I look forward to the computer audio impressions from fireblade. The USB in the Yggy, besting the Off Ramp 5 is impressive. If I ever create a ripped PCM bit perfect hard drive of my CD collection, I will be in very good shape with the Yggy!

Obviously, my subjective input, will be from Transport, as I described in my previous post. .......as compared to my PCM ass kickingly good Decware ZDSD up-sampling @ 16/176.4.....with Steve's all so very important Output Stage Tranny's...fleshing things out!

Comparing the two schools of thought/antithesis of these two machines- I so look forward to!

PS~here's to hoping backorders thru current, ships by the end of June and I have my Yggy burned in by the 2nd or 3rd week in July..... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #16 - 06/12/15 at 15:02:43

Mid July it will be then. Their waiting on the Chip baby..... .

I can wait when I have Steve's Stellar modified ZDSD.
In which, the ZDSD has put down/sent back or sold: PS Audio PWT/PWD combo, PS Audio DSD DAC, NAD M51 DAC, Anedio D2 & a Chord Chordette QuteHD. (PCM Redbook/judged.....Hi-rez is insignificant)

The Yggy, is going to have a tough haul, to beat Steve's output Tranny Stage of the ZDSD....I wish it luck and I'm up for the challenge! If it wins; it's a win ~ win. I keep both!!

Email sent to me today/this morning:
"Thanks for your Yggdrasil order.  When will your Yggy ship?  We were hoping for the end of June.  Now, it is looking more like July.  Our distributor has had a one month shipping delay for the AD5791 DAC chip, which is pretty much the heart of the Yggy.  The delay is outside of our control.  We have worked to shorten the delay by working with alternate distributors but this chip isn’t widely used and there aren’t piles of them sitting around in a warehouse waiting for a buyer.  Our best estimate at this point is second week of July.  Our hope is that it will occur earlier than that.  I apologize for the delay.  We’ll let you know when we are ready to ship.  Thank you for your patience and support.\n\nAlex Martin\nOperations Director\nSchiit Audio\n"

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #17 - 06/16/15 at 18:32:18

http://www.forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/dedicated-schiit-yggdrasil-thread.4247...

Is the Yggy all hype?  Steve's ZDSD for PCM certainly was not hype. I would have returned it, if it was.

I will run the risk of keeping it longer than 160 hours put on it, in 15 days. My Yggy should get here by July 20th. Maybe have something to say about it by mid August.

I hope it is 99% of what the Meitner MA-1 is. The ZDSD is. Thus, why I own the ZDSD for Redbook and not the Meitner or the PS Audio DSD DAC for that matter, for PCM with its latest firmware soap opera.

http://www.meitner.com/ma-1.html

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 06/16/15 at 22:16:25

I realize you're only using it for Redbook playback, but measurements (albiet amateur) have shown that it can only do 13bit (THD+N) max ~ which technically is not even Redbook quality.  

This is quite bothersome to me because out of the 15,000 songs I have on my server (including thousands of needle drops), less than 100 albums are Redbook.  Most of my digital files are at the very minimum 24/96 and often even higher at 24/192 and include a ton of DSD as well.

I also realize that even 24 bit music does not really go to 24 bits and it may be closer to around 19-21 bits, but even so the Yggy will truncate and/or downsample everything to 13 bits so even Redbook playback will be downsampled if it is true 16 bit.  

For me, this is especially unfortunate because when it comes to my music I feel more susceptible to hearing differences in the quality of bit rate rather than sample rate.  I can't hear much (if any) differences if something is 96 or 192, but I feel the bit rate makes a big difference in recording quality to my ears and I often hear a depth or sense of space that I don't get when listening to even well mastered CDs.

The person who took the measurements did them twice and so far have shown the same measurements.  He was supposedly going to do another set sometime after break in, but I haven't heard of him coming back and posting them (maybe he's afraid?).  At any rate, I hope this is something they can fix with a firmware update, but have no idea if possible as it could also be the limitations of the chip they are using ~ which is not meant for audio anyways from what I've read.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #19 - 06/17/15 at 02:13:34

Interesting about the bitrate. I'd be cautious about condemning a device over measured bitrate. The DirectStream DAC was originally measured at some silly, low bitrate...and everyone got in a tizzy about it. It was just a combination of not measuring the device in a way appropriate to how it worked, combined with a software error on Ted's part. We all know the DS DAC isn't a low bitrate device - we just needed to review it correctly (and without software errors LOL).

Those chips they used in the Yggy DAC, could simply be doing something that throws the measurements off. Or, maybe they simply are low-bitrate chips. Aren't they NOS or something? Either way, I don't listen to measurements, I listen to music. So how does the music sound?

I almost got kicked off a few forums for posting this when the math guys were poo-pooing the DS DAC and not even listening to it.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 06/17/15 at 03:02:48

They are some sort of D/A chips for medical support devices I think.  Schiit are somehow selling it as "the chip" because its so accurate, but in actuality they are made to make things go "beep". Wink

I don't care that much about the measurements, they do help you weed out products that have higher distortion and other issues going on though.  What I do care about is that the files that I paid for and people have made for me are being downsampled ... even if it sounds decent it's still not playing back at native resolution and I want any DAC to at least be in the ball park of my hi-res files yet they aren't even at Redbook bit rate.

IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 06/17/15 at 07:41:46

In the opening post of this thread I link to

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764787/yggdrasil-technical-measurements
by AtomicBob

He seems to be the only person who has done extensive measurements of yggdrasil.  His data is discussed at headfi, computeraudiophile, Hoffman forums.

I read a reference before about the 13bit claim.  
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/dedicated-schiit-yggdrasil-thread.424701/p...
In this thread they argue that the yggy gets only 13 bits due to its high thd+n.  This data came from Atomicbob from the same thread where the yggy's jitter is better (most).

Looking back at the Atomic bobs thread he has edited.
Quote:
Commentary:

By now, some of you probably have noted the THD+N graph may not be the lowest ever seen.

The THD+N graph measures artificially high due to a driver / OS interaction on my computer. An update will be forthcoming.

Either, AtomicBob is backtracking, or covering something fundamentally wrong with Yggdrasil.

Or, this thd measure, which seems like an outlier in the panel of other world class, stellar, measurements from the very same post, is just that, bad measurement data.

I have my opinion.

About the Dac chips not being intended for audio... that's what I've read, they are very high precision ladder dacs made for medical and military applications.  that matters none.  it just matters that they do their job, very precisely.   As I understand it, large part of what the yggdrasil does is manage getting the audio data to the right size and shape to feed those dacs, (losslessly of course.  no resampling. no loss of original bits).    

I've read a lot of thread of people questioning this idea. "why, why, how?"  Can my yggdrasil quide a JDAM?  hehe.  jokes like that.  funny.  

but seriously worrying about the original application of the dac is like worrying about using a Russian video tube in a Zen amp.  or using a Russian Mig (fighter jet, just fyi) in some other amp.    It doesn't matter. it's a tube. it amplifies.

That dac chip is a ladder dac.  it outputs analog.

Oh well. that's just what I know.

My yggy is humming right along. sounds great for all my ripped cd's.  I'm used to it now, I'm afraid to go back to another dac.  wonder what I'll hear or miss.  I'll wait till later.  I'll just think about new speakers instead.  

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #22 - 06/17/15 at 12:20:00

IMHO, Yggdrasil was designed and built by one of the more advanced audio teams today, with the courage to publish their DAC is 'only' 20 bits resolution. This means a lot to me, as I don't think these people are going to full around with their image on their flagship ('Statement') DAC. If they say is 20 bits resolution, you better believe it, otherwise how would we explain all we have learned from Schiit (Gungnir, Bifrost, and the rest).

My decision was based on the experiences of a guy having tweaked the Audio Gd Master 7 with all kinds of improvements, including the expensive USB/i2S converter (Off Ramp 5) for two years, and has reported several times now that Yggy is head and shoulders better than what once was the top DAC configuration at Head Fi (excluding PS Audio's DS, of course).

Since the PS Audio DS is so expensive, I don't mine to own a DAC which 'may' be less performing, but if it beat the Audio Gd Master 7 with those wonderful UK chips using the best i2S source around, I'm sold.

I'm sure the 13 bit thing is just a wrong conclusion stemming from a flawed measurement procedure. I'm sure Schiit will come forward with a demonstration of this relatively soon.

I prefer high sampling files myself, a preference that grows with the sampling rate from 88.2 / 96 / 192, and I'm sure 20 bits resolution is better than Redbook's 16 and false 24 bit alternatives out there.

Otherwise, my USD 2,300.00 would have been a bad investment ...

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 06/17/15 at 12:26:25

I agree guys, this is likely erroneous measurements or something along those lines. The brand's previous releases have been so lauded and this is so heavily praised that it has to be delivering above that level. I have a feeling it's a great DAC and am glad that so many are enjoying playback or will enjoy playback at this level. It really enhances the listening experience to have a source of a very high caliber.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #24 - 06/17/15 at 15:01:51

This is going to be fun. I wish the Yggy had adjustable voltage output though. No bother, when I have AVO from my CSP3 or you could get a ZBIT. I know LR has one, to "up" his  DAC.

I appreciate that Stoddard & Moffat are irreverent with their prose! Audio engineers, need to have thick skins to make machines that reproduce music gloriously! Those that can't hear the difference?!  Pity!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #25 - 06/17/15 at 20:09:49

Quote:
I know LR has one, to "up" his  DAC.

I played with Steve's prototype ZBIT, but I have the XLR transformers added to my Mystery amp. So it's basically the same thing, just not a (slightly more useful!) outboard one like the ZBIT.

I really do like the sound of the XLR transformers, and having that little bit of extra voltage is nice  :)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #26 - 06/17/15 at 21:11:44

I'm sure counting on that impression of yours, LR  :)

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #27 - 06/17/15 at 23:45:01

For those of you who are familiar with Theta Digital and have followed Moffat back to his Theta days, you know that Theta has been writing its own filters and digital processing algorithms from day one.  As well as implementing several other designs and methodologies of “their own”.  Not many “me too” products were ever created by Moffat and Theta Digital.

I have owned many Theta products - for decades, since the late 80’s, and still have one – 1999 vintage.  To my ears, they simply sound more like “real music” being performed live in front of me than anything else.  I have not heard every DAC available – nobody has.  That would be nearly impossible(but Stone is working on it for us!   Smiley .  But I have heard many, many in systems I’m familiar with and many have passed through my listening room from demo’s, borrowing, auditions, etc.  My Theta has not been unthroned yet.  Most DAC’s will sound different from each other, but “better”?  Who knows?  Very few of us get the opportunity to hear an original performance when it was performed and recorded, and then get to go home and listen to it immediately on our own systems.  Lucky me, I have some good friends, that are not only active musicians, but one is also an audiophile and is an amateur recordist.  So I have heard many performances live and the recording of those performances played back on my system as well as a few other systems.  What I can tell you, is that the microphones used and their placement and recording method used have far greater impact on the quality of sound that you end up hearing, than the bit-rate and sample rate used – at least that is what I’ve experienced so far.  Leave out all the post-processing too… and heaven forbid compressor limiters and EQ… though the new digital ones are light years better than the old analog ones to my ears.  But mic feeds straight to the ADC, straight to the storage medium can make some mighty convincing recordings.  And as experienced here on the forum with the ZDSD, and as touted by Master Deckert, the analog output section of a DAC has at least as much to do with the sound you get(if not more) than the digital processing chip it uses.  At Schiit.. you have two of the masters designing the Yggdrasil.  Is it the best?  Only your ears can decide that for you.

I’m keeping an eye on the Yggdrasil… if Moffat says it’s better than a Theta Gen V… that is a monumental claim in my experience and IMO.  I haven’t backordered one yet… but I probably will – cause I gotta hear this for myself.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #28 - 06/18/15 at 00:36:31

Good point MD about recordings. I often use recordings I made of bands I was in rehearsing or demo-making in my then garage apartment. . . that's a great tool for evaluating, and one that led me on my search for a great front end that ended with the DirectStream. (You have to end somewhere, and that's my stop for a good while!)

It's amazing how digital has evolved over the last three and more decades. And it will continue to do so.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #29 - 06/18/15 at 11:46:09

The thing is we do not have any control on the recordings of the music we like ... The next best thing is to use the best source/DAC one can afford as a foundation and build from there.

I used to own one of the best Theta's, which came in 1993 (don't recall the model anymore). I paired this with an Enlightened Audio Design Transport and an LS-3 Audio Research preamp (SS) to feed my VTL 225 Deluxe Monoblocks. It was a joy through a pair of Clements hybrid floorstanding speakers ... At the time, a great system. I remember the Theta was supposed to adapt itself over time through its algorithms to adjust for best sound ...  It really worked! But, that was a long time ago!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 06/18/15 at 12:57:07

Fireblade wrote on 06/18/15 at 11:46:09:
The thing is we do not have any control on the recordings of the music we like ... The next best thing is to use the best source/DAC one can afford as a foundation and build from there.

No arguments from me (or anyone else in the thread I think). What we were saying is that IF you happen to have recordings that you made or of events you were present for those can make a very interesting tool to evaluate the playback. I find these sort of recordings, and recordings I have heard played back over many variations of my system and the systems of others over a long period of time, to be very valuable aids for selecting a source.

Sounds as if "The Tree of Life" DAC is going to be a great one, happy that you have one on order!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #31 - 06/18/15 at 15:47:07

High praise indeed, Maddog.
I am excited to get the Yggy.

It was a real ear opener to get Steve's modified output ZDSD......and it proved to be so musical. Proving to me, output stage is so critical, as you referred to Maddog. I've had a lot of great DAC's through here (as you mentioned Maddog). Steve's is the one to beat or tie. I'm sure Steve chuckles over those that dismiss it....and have not heard it.

Furthermore, like Steve's ZDSD for PCM, I think Moffat is giving us a giant slayer. I/we will see.

My Chord Chordette QuteHD was a wonderful DAC. However, Chord won't provide it the performance of the next models up THEIR food chain.
Steve did provide blow away sound (bye bye QuteHD = Sold). I think Stoddard and Moffat are out to make the same statement for PCM with the Yggy for $2340 delivered ~ not 7k.  

Will hear, I will hear, 250 hours on her from now.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #32 - 06/18/15 at 16:22:39

I stand corrected, Lon. Thanks for the good wishes.

The wait is terrible, though. I hope to have burn-in my new tubes and optimized the placement on those two pairs of diffusors by the time the Yiggy and ZBit make their triumphal entrance in my system.

BTW, the blue Belden F1800 XLR (3 Pin) cables look of excellent quality, both the cables themselves and the connectors (first class!). These evidently represent the Engineering point of view on these types of cables: Not fancy, plain well made, with quality connectors, a specification derived from many years of serving the professional recording sector where resolution, neutrality and fidelity are top priorities. But, we'll need to hear them and decide, when at steady-state.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #33 - 06/18/15 at 16:38:56

I know, the waiting can be excruciating. Take solace in the fact that all that you are waiting for are likely WELL WORTH doing so!

I bet those cables do a good job.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #34 - 06/18/15 at 16:53:28

I think Stoddard and Moffat are out to make the same statement for PCM with the Yggy for $2340 delivered ~ not 7k.  

I should add, I'm not opposed to 7k DAC's. I own a 6k Amp....5k of Cables, 5k Speakers/now gloriously modified with a single Cap, etc... .
Thinking about getting the Gold/Silver/Oils in them.

However, with today's technology....and what Steve has proved to me with his ZDSD, ....puts the PS Audio DSD DAC at only a worth of $2500 for PCM (I owned one) at best, when you take out the Preamp provided and firmware upgrades that are built into the cost of the DAC.  I hope Yggy bodes well and should.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #35 - 06/18/15 at 17:04:46

To be fair Larr. . . you didn't give the DS the hundreds of hours it needs. I don't know why it does, but it does. I'm very happy with mine, and one who has both the Z and the DS has told me. . . the DS still is a fantastic DAC.

Here's to variety and choices!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #36 - 06/18/15 at 17:22:30

No doubt Lon, it is a great DAC (PS Audio DSD DAC).

I hope to have an Minnesota Audio Society member over this coming Fall, and Listen to the PS again + the ZDSD + Yggy comparisons. The 1.21, Pikes Peak and the next OS from Ted probably available by then to hear.  Fun!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #37 - 06/18/15 at 21:56:35

Guys, this is a user's comparison of Hugo vs Yggy on Head Fi. Scroll down for post 270:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766347/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread/255

Yggy is placed way on top by a Hugo fan!

IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 06/18/15 at 23:43:16

Thanks for the link.  I feel the same way as him, though I've never listened to another really good dac.  Reading, I kept saying, "yeah, what he said!"

Cool.  I feel my expenditure externally justified, now. Kidding, partially.

-schiit and decware fanboy  :)

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 06/19/15 at 09:33:02

I'm looking forward to reading a review of this DAC from someone who can also take good measurements.  If there was a problem with a driver and the OS, etc. as said, then how do we know that most (if not all) measurements are inaccurate including the great jitter measurements the DAC achieved as well?  Hmm...

While upsampling 16 to 24 bits is not likely to be detrimental, downsampling from 24 to 16 bits could be quite detrimental as there is a big possibility of truncation.  In other words, the last 8 bits are hacked off. Truncation = not good, it introduces quantization distortion which could mean that you get unwanted tones and/or harmonics.  The more bits that are hacked off - the more issues are introduced into the music mix.

Dither could be a way to fight the worst of it, and dither is not a bad thing, but using dither to cover up something that is truncating files and slicing bits off in the first place just to cover it back up again is like putting a band aid over it IMO.  

If the DAC produces a true 20 bits, I don't see this as a problem because (as already mentioned) there is no chip out there that is really 24 bits and that is a marketing gimmick, but 13 bits max on a hi-res 24/96 or higher file = a lot of truncation and that is not good no matter how you slice it (pun intended Wink).

I'm not condemning this DAC or anybody's love for it (if someone says they like something who am I to tell them differently), and of course those measurements could all be false as far as I know, but I'd rather hold off until I could at least confirm that my hi-res files will be left as unmolested as possible so I'm just being a little extra cautious about it.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #40 - 07/01/15 at 13:59:58

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #41 - 07/08/15 at 11:38:09

Believe it or not, I just turned down an early shipment of one of the few available Yggdrasils, in black. It seems Schiit got hold of a few of these (black container, everything the same, they say). These are ready to be shipped and they started offering them to people on the backlog list before selling them through the website.

The reason I turned this offer down, is twofold:

1. These may belong to the early (first) production batch, with higher probabilities of glitches.

2. Schiit may have tweaked and polished the thing from experiences with the early generation of Yggdrasil production units and these tweaks should be incorporated into the new batch.

I may be fooling myself, but that is how I'll play it, although I'm really eager to get my hands on the darn thing whenever they decide to ship it (2nd gen in Silver).

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #42 - 07/09/15 at 15:19:31

Canceled my Yggy.
I'm so pleased with my ZDSD @ 16/176.4.

Right now, I'm anticipating fun with my Ediswan's in my A12 & B12 positions of my ZMA. I love top and bottom extension/but not at the expense of a textured midrange. My National's are superb....but the Edi' is supposed to push them aside... .
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/ediswan-cv2492-6922/

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #43 - 07/30/15 at 11:48:38

Another setback in the Yggdrasil shipping schedule, this time tentatively set by the end of August! My ZBit is already collecting dust!

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #44 - 08/18/15 at 12:16:20

Ok, the Yggy is home! With only 1.5 hrs on it (by the time I went to bed the thing was barely lukewarm, and it is supposed to run hot, so it will take a few days ON to make it close to its potential), this is in a different league altogether.

I've never heard the Mini Torii sound this good. The mid-range is to die for (as they say), with voices sounding incredibly neat and natural. So far I just ran it in combination with the ZBit. It is way early to tell, but I think this is "The DAC"! I will be reporting more when it settles and after trying it straight to the Mini using single-ended RCA IC's.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #45 - 08/18/15 at 14:02:00

Congrats! That "different league" was how I felt when I got the PS Audio PWD and then DS. It's so satisfying to see that the Decware components just step up to the plate and give you the improvement without skipping a beat. I think after this you may be "done" for quite some time, and will just disappear into joyous listening.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #46 - 08/18/15 at 14:13:08

Thanks, Lon. I can't wait to hear it when it has finally settled. I sure plan to just tweak the system/player/room conditioning and tube-roll with the new components, but this is it for me for a long time Cheesy.

IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 08/18/15 at 17:56:13

Congrats Fireblade.    I love mine.  I'm playing yggy>zma>dm947's.  I'm so content, I really have zero desire to change anything.  I appreciate how Lon has for so long stated that he's content with his system and doesn't need or want to upgrade.  I understand this now.  I'm there.  I'm done.  (well, I still have to rebuild my wo32, and I'm still very curious about that hsu MBM12.. but later, and the dm947's are not lacking in bass in anyway, so I really don't need to do this)

With the yggy, I keep reading others say that they are blown away by redbook quality.  some say they stopped worrying about pricey high res and just go to thrift store cd's now.  this is how I feel.  this machine really brings the truth out of 16/44.1.  It extracts the 'reality' that's been recorded in there all along.

btw, I just caught up on the headfi thread regarding schiits production problems, and their explanations of what's going on... partly, they're messed up getting all 7 boards in stock in the right time/order... and also they are bottle necked on the supply side because they use audiophile grade caps through out, and those military/medical (low production) chips.  both are causing "volume production" problems.  interesting read.

anyway, loving my yggy so much, I'm off the merrigo round.  I used to search for comparison threads about the yggy, now I'm just trying to find one where the owner honestly just doesn't like how it sounds.  I haven't found a single one yet.  this is a magic dac.  (patting my self a bit... I knew it would be. Smiley  )

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #48 - 08/18/15 at 18:58:06

Hi SteveC,

Thanks for the congratulations ... these really have a meaning for me this time around! Indeed, a phenomenal DAC. I'm using it with the balanced outputs and that should be contributing a bit too. Last night, I started it for the first time and played a 24/192 file ...  so, yes it does wonders with Redbook resolution, but it also taps the wonders imbedded in the high resolution files I tried. Everything sounds much better. I did not have enough time yesterday, but this week-end I'll be checking every possible combination and file type and see how it does also with the accumulated warming hours on it.

I had to wait since May for this, and even declined an earlier offer for a black unit (I was afraid it may had been left over from the very first production batch and therefore more prone to production bugs), but luckily they shipped these new orders 2 weeks before the last announced shipping dates.

I won't be investing in any DACs for a long time myself  :D

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #49 - 08/18/15 at 19:47:57

"A different League", is the Auralic Vega.....or a I would still own: PWT/PWD, DS DAC or Yggy.........I owned the first two....I might get a Yiggy for poop & Giggles!

........just messin' with ya Aussie an Lon!      Four pretty damn good DACS all around.... .

Hey, Steve's (not tube Lon)....Output Tranny's from the ZDSD kick ass too!  Every Decware owner should have one....to hear the Simpatico!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3