Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 04:51:26 

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
You all MUST check this out. USB Regen. (Read 10588 times)
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

You all MUST check this out. USB Regen.
05/20/15 at 06:10:18

Hi, If you use USB as in put for your DAC. You all MUST check this out. It does wonders for the sound and at a relative bargain price.

USB Regen, price of USD 175.

http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/uptone-audio-regen-22803/

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/uptone-audio-...

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/uptone-regen-...

It is not an OMG right away but a WOW as you listen to more and more different albums (quality, resolutions) and what it does for the sound as you play them.

1 Regen ordered. For $198.5 - shipped who am I to turn down a tweak you guys are raving about. Coming mid July.

FYI, I have no affiliation of any kind with Uptone Audio.

Just a fellow Audiophile that wants to let other Audiophiles know about a GREAT product.

P1080636_large_1.jpg

Audio Note DAC3.1 Custom modded to 4.1, DIY Duelund wire RCA IC, Offramp 5 USB SPDIF converter, Mac Mini, Amarra Symphony player,
Zen Mystery Amp. MIT Oracle speaker wire, Avalon Eidolon Diamond speakers. Coincident Statement preamp, Martin Logan Depth subwoofer
  IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Re: You all MUST check this out. USB Regen.
Reply #1 - 05/20/15 at 08:21:51

05-14-2015, 11:16 AM #283
Sophomore Member
After ten days of listening Regen I would like to add my impressions.

First, I would like to join my voice with all those who confirmed improvement brought by Regen into their system. I got the same improved clarity, grain and noise decrease, better tone of instruments, more/new sounds from familiar recordings, better dynamics, improved overall musicality and enjoyment from listening.

Additionally to that, I found out:
- musical picture became "bigger", and separate instruments seem to be closer or subjectively "bigger" now;
- I can hear more on low volume with improved lows and highs;
- subjectively, slow music became "slower", fast became "faster";
- symphonic orchestra and opera communicated better, is more true and convincing than before;

Regen is very revealing for both good and bad recordings what may work against some not so well recorded material. It seems some usb cables fit better to Regen than others. Regen needs several burn-in days, at the very first listening sessions I heard some sublime aural pressure which seem to gone in a few days.

With Regen I hear differences in HQ Player settings much clearly than before. When I was trying to change some of HQP settings before Regen I was barely noticing a change if any, now it became much more apparent. Also Regen reveals bigger difference between running OS from ssd vs. sd card.

Audio Note DAC3.1 Custom modded to 4.1, DIY Duelund wire RCA IC, Offramp 5 USB SPDIF converter, Mac Mini, Amarra Symphony player,
Zen Mystery Amp. MIT Oracle speaker wire, Avalon Eidolon Diamond speakers. Coincident Statement preamp, Martin Logan Depth subwoofer
  IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/20/15 at 08:42:47

anyone know if schiit wyrd is the same thing?  $99

http://schiit.com/products/wyrd

they say its real claim to fame is providing clean usb power that doesn't interfere with your bits.  and only possibly necessary if you have noisy usb power such that it affects your dacs ability to play your music.

basically they is it's a high quality powered usb hub.
clean power and signal repeater.

IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/20/15 at 08:54:35

USB Regen does two functions;

First, the USB REGEN takes the digital audio stream from your computer or other music streaming device, and generates a completely new USB data signal to feed to your DAC.  It accomplishes this by combining a carefully chosen USB hub chip with an ultra low-noise regulator and low-jitter clock.  Importantly, it does so with ideal impedance matching—right at the input of your DAC.

The USB REGEN's secondary function is that it disconnects the computer's noisy 5 volt bus power coming down the USB cable, and provides clean 5VBUS on its output--for DACs that need it—via a second ultra low-noise regulator.

This secondary function is same as Schiit Wyrd. Simply put, it cleans up your USB connection, eliminating noise and glitches caused by crappy USB power or USB port power management. It is a linear power supply through USB cable for DAC.

IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/20/15 at 09:11:28

Quote Originally Posted by Superdad  View Post
Well Jason at Schiit does not like to make claims (I admire that among many other excellent business practices of theirs), but in his long blog/book on HeadFi he does talk about the SQ differences the Wyrd can make. But as John pointed out, the degree depends upon both the computer and the DAC. But the design of both the Wyrd and our Regen is absolutely not just about providing cleaner 5V USBVbus power. One does not need a hub chip, clocks, etc. to do that. In fact, in designing the piece, John and I discussed whether to even interrupt the USB VBus power to provide our own, but of course it made sense to do so.

So yes, both the Wyrd and the Regen will perform their primary purpose even if the DAC does not use 5V Vbus power at all. (John did some trick things to make ours work/sound extra good: 4 layer board with impedance-controlled output, ultra low-noise regulators, external DC supply--Wyrd brings low voltage AC into it, no USB output cable--I'll be proving USB A>B solid adapter so tiny box can go at the DAC and not introduce another USB cable.)

As for the advantages, it comes back to the research he has been doing on packet noise (where poor SI makes the DAC's USB PHY and processor work harder--causing internal modulation at both 8KHz packet rate and wideband), power distribution networks, etc. So Regn places creation of new and clean USB signal right at the DAC. Kind of like an external version of an audiophile USB card (SOtM, Paul Pang, etc.), but at the correct end of the cable and not powered by the computer. A boon for Mac users for whom such cards don't even exist.

IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/20/15 at 10:33:25

05-08-2015, 04:27 PM #257
Sophomore Member
I have finally have the time to write my impressions. I tested the REGEN in two different systems.
The first system was at the Lone Star Audio Fest here in Dallas. I received the REGEN on Saturday and went to the LSAF on Sunday late afternoon. Luckily Dave from Raven Audio still had his system set up and he was so kind to let me use it. Sunday afternoon the kids were at home and a decent comparison session would have been impossible  BTW, his system has me, a solid-state-guy, rethinking tubes and definitely showed me that I had listened to the Legacy Audio Aeris speakers in a terrible system.
Here's his system: PC > Mytek Manhatten > Goldfinch pre/Silhoutte Mk 2 pre > Spirit Mk2 Monos > Legacy Audio Focus HD. All cables were Douglas Connection top cables (I bought the Alpha-1 speaker cables after our listening session).
There's not much to say, actually, since the difference was so immediate and obvious that we only swapped it out once just in order to get a better grip on the differences. Dave also has very trained ears and our observations were pretty much the same. We quickly re-inserted the REGEN, since listening just wasn't as enjoyable without it anymore. I'll describe the main improvements at the end of this post.
Today I also had finally some time to listen to it in my system, since I had been travelling since Monday.
Here's my system: SBT w/ Welborne PSU > Resolution Audio Cantata > Gryphon Diablo > Evolution Acoustics MicroOne. I was using the Light Harmonic Lightspeed red USB cable. I also used a "normal" USB cable with a ferrite in order to see if cables matter with a REGEN in the digital chain.
So, enough talk... here's a summary of the results:
w/ REGEN
cleaned the whole sound, but not in a abrasive/chemical way. It's as if dust and dirt has been removed from crevices and corners revealing textures that were hidden and, simultaneously, someone showed up with a wet cloth, which made colours and timbres come to life, but in a completely natural way. Taking the REGEN out took timbres, colors and textures away, as if a fine gray dust had settled on the sound. The following points are probably the result of this main trait.
sound stage depth increased quite a bit
small inflections and inner detail increased quite a lot. I started to hear new details in the lower and mid frequencies, so in the regions that aren't necessarily affected if there were a fake tilt in the higher frequencies that sometimes create a sense of detail.
complex harmonics like Timpani and Glockenspiel decay were far more resolved and natural
wood sounds like wood (e.g knocking on double bass), and the prior sounds that mimicked wood now sound more like thick cardboard.

Belive me, it's hard to live without it after having it in your system.
Comparing the Lightspeed with my normal USB cable with ferrite made both cables sound spookily close. I guess that differences between good cables and the top cables will still be there, but by a far smaller fraction. The main differences were a slight lack of finesse and a less resolved sound, but it was subtle. I'm not even sure that many will be able to spot the differences without going back and forth quite a few times.
I know see that this post could sound like an ad, so let me make it clear: I am NOT affiliated with the creators of the REGEN, although I'd love to be able brag about having contributed to any of it. Unfortunately, like most of us here, we didn't. So, honor to whom honor is due, John and Alex. #respect

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/22/15 at 00:21:09

Thanks vyokyong. Sounds like a great idea that worked!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/22/15 at 04:47:16

You're welcome, Will.
I will give my review opinion after I get and try USB Regen for 2 weeks.

IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/12/15 at 04:25:26

More impression from Audiogon member.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1432849819

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/23/15 at 14:13:56

I contacted the U.S. distributer for tmy he USB/SPDIF converter to get his take on the Regen and to see if I would benefit given I have the USB/SPDIF in the chain.

He said devices like this do provide better SQ (system dependent on how much) and would provide an improvement given that my converter is not galvanically isolated.

But he recommended I spend less and buy this unit:

https://electronics-shop.dk/usb_isolation.htm?currency=USD

He said for $50 (versus $150), it provides the same benefits.

So I contacted the designer after seeing a post over on head-fi and he basically said save your money.  Beyond what his unit does, the rest is hocus pocus.

After a little more back and forth with the designer and reading the Regen designer notes, I am not convinced that the lower cost device guy is correct.  If seems that the Regen does function as a hub with new information generated, where the cheaper device does not.  Is that important?

I think only an A/B test will tell.  I may buy the $50 device and Raven has the Regen on order.  They are constantly backordered so he won't get it till September some time.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/24/15 at 23:50:50

It seems that some go to great lengths to get the source sounding good for computer audio.  I don't use a computer as my main source but I am headed towards that.  My secondary source at the moment is a MacBook Pro w/SSD running Audirvana (I use it mostly for High Res and DSD).  I also stream TIDAL via the same laptop using Amarra TIDAL.  That said, I am seeking out a more permanent computer audio solution.  

Palomino...we need your priority list of items that matter for using a computer as a source!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/25/15 at 14:26:31

Hmmm, I haven't thought of it in terms of priority, but here is what I have done in what I remember to be order of impact:

1. External LPSU with internal power filter (Teradak for about $350, I think)

2. Installed a SSD for the OS

2.  Used an applescript written by someone over at computer audiophile which creates a ramdisk and copies the Audirvana application to it.  It also creates a separate ramdisk for music.  Some claim this to be an improvement even though Audirvana loads the song into ram prior to playback.

3.  Bought a high speed SD card and loaded music on that.

4.  A few tweaks to Audirvana.  I don't recall all of them off hand, but I run 2X oversampling which I think gives me some lift.

5. Music on an external 2TB firewire HD powered by a battery, not a wall wart.  The battery is a pain, but I perceived degradation with a switching power supply anywhere in the system.

I also bought a USB to SPDIF converter, but that is more of Chord DAC thing.  The first iteration of the Chord Qute sounds better via SPDIF.

Some people install fan kits or run the fan via external power supply, etc. but I haven't gone there and probably won't.  There is other internal shielding you can do as well.

When I am trying to get the best sound I can, I run the ram disk application, copy music onto the SD card, run Audirvana stand alone.

I will be interested in what the regen or regen like product can do.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 08/25/15 at 15:08:04

Palomino,
What model Mac Mini are you using and do you know if any particular model is better or easier to work with?
There are a lot of models I see out there and I suppose doing some research at CA would behoove me, but might as well ask.  :)

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 08/25/15 at 15:12:17

I have a late 2010.  Still has the optical drive.

I haven't done much research on which model is better.  The pre-2010 models have the external power supply so easier to mod, but you may run into performance issues with the new OS.  Not sure though.

OS may have more to do with sound than anything.  I am running Mavericks.  Not sure about the latest version.

Another thing I didn't mention since I bought mine with 8GB of ram, but I think that much ram is a good thing too.

Note: Edited due to having my Mac Mini year wrong.  2010 is when they went to the internal supply, not 2009.  Thanks Will.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/25/15 at 18:16:54

BTW, I am still trying to confirm that the less expensive devices will pass 24/192.  The HifimeDIY one listed here will not.  Seems to be based on the same chips.

[url][/http://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFimeDIY-USB-Isolator-ADUM4160-5KV-1KV-signal-voltage-i...

USB Full Speed 12Mbps is sufficient for samples rates up to 96khz/24bit. But it will not work with 192khz/24bit samples  rates as this requires USB "High Speed" 480Mbps (the is currently no chips available supporting USB "High speed")

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #15 - 08/27/15 at 16:00:35

Hrm, I didn't think of bandwidth limitations of these devices...As Palomino mentioned, I have the UpTone Audio USB Regen on order, simply because Ted_b from Computer Audiophile raved about it on the PS Audio forum (I trust his thoughts - he's proven himself again and again in my mind. Even though the CA Forums think PS Audio are crooks, Ted_b still uses the PS Audio DirectStream).

Due to my changed domestic situation, I'm no longer able to afford putting money into audio - so this USB Regen is my last audio purchase for a long while. I'm hoping it's worth it, but since it's sold out 4-6 weeks in advance; it shouldn't be difficult to resell if I don't like it.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 08/27/15 at 16:59:17

I am trying to figure out how I can buy one.  Lots of checks flying out the door here.

I have read about it on multiple forums and how it works in combination with multiple DACs and even USB/SPDIF converters.  I've probably read 50 or so impressions and 2 said it didn't provide lift.  About 1/2 said significant lift.

Still looking for Ted's review.  I do like his opinions.  His review of the Chord DAC and Matrix SPDIF converter pushed me to buy.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 08/27/15 at 17:06:54

BTW, I downloaded Yosemite after reading some positive reviews of how it plays with Audirvana using direct mode.  It does sound nice. Not sure if its a big improvement.  Seems a little smoother, but hard to A/B system changes.  It certainly didn't take things backwards.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #18 - 08/27/15 at 17:21:01

I need to try JRiver or some other software to at least see if Foobar is worth the setup/config adjustments. I'm still having trouble getting internet radio working with Foobar, and that was one feature I really enjoyed when I borrowed/demo'd the Zen CD Player.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #19 - 08/27/15 at 20:34:46

Hrumph. I should pay more attention to the PS Audio forums. I've not been here or there much lately. But what does this sound like to you guys.

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/accessories-cables-and-room-tuning/new-usb-device-a...

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 08/27/15 at 20:44:10

Isolation, and probably regeneration to get the extra length on the USB cords.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #21 - 08/27/15 at 21:34:08

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 08/27/15 at 21:35:44

Heard about it.  Paul at PS Audio said it provided an audible difference but his socks were still on.  I haven't done any research on it.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 08/27/15 at 22:45:38

Well, here is a good review of the options out there.  Regen wins, but combos of the three are interesting.

/http://www.audiostream.com/content/usb-accessory-roundup-uptone-audio-usb-regen-...

In other news, I am becoming quite fond of Yosemite/Audirvana.  A more natural, relaxed and open sound.  More reverberant details.  I listened all day to that combo and really enjoyed the music.

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 08/27/15 at 23:18:14

I got my Regen a couple of days ago and with a little burn in it is sounding excellent. I've paid much more for tweaks that I've had to really listen carefully to detect a difference but not with the Regen. I'm not sure whether to call it a tweak or component but huge improvement using it in between my computer and Berkley Alpha USB device and at a fraction of the price of the Alpha USB.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 08/28/15 at 09:01:54

I just got my USB Regen and play with it 3 hours. It is connected in between Mac Mini and Empire Audio Offramp 5 USB/SPDIF converter to Audio Note DAC mod to level 4.1.

The sound is quite obvious different after USB Regen is installed. It provides;

1) More black background noise.
2) More depth sound stage (may be 25% increase in depth).
3) Midrange and high frequency sound are more focused and pin point positioning in stage.
4) More details of nuances and timbre.
5) More dynamics and hear more louder (at same volume level).

Only weak point is that it is a little more harsh sound. However I think that because it does not pass burn in yet. It is only 2-3 hours playing after open the box. It may need to be played > 200 hours burn in and the harsh sound may be gone.

However after USB Regen is installed in your system, you will feel like you get new DAC. The sound different is like that you get new DAC in your system. If you like new sound different then it is a RAVE tweaks to spend only USD 175 to get new DAC.

The USB Regen is ground isolate and 5V electric supply isolate from computer already so that no need to spend money on any ground isolate device of USB cable.

I will report more when USB Regen is played more than 200 hours.

By the way, I am very happy now of its performance.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #26 - 08/28/15 at 12:44:25

Wow, I'm hoping mine shows up soon! But last I checked, the August orders were shipping first week of September - so I'm expecting mid September.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #27 - 08/28/15 at 22:08:09

Nice! I just got shipping notice (Seconds ago) that my USB Regen has shipped this afternoon!

I probably won't see it till I get back from Peoria on Tuesday, so I'll update this thread when I get a few hours on it.

With my system, changes are pretty apparent, pretty quickly. Especially now that my overall noise floor has dropped at the house.  :)

vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 09/03/15 at 04:18:21

Hi,

Just update of USB Regen.

The more hours played USB Regen, the more harsh sound gone. The harsh sound may be come from the 22 watt/7.5V/2.93A (overkill) tabletop (93 x 54 x 36mm) world-voltage-compatible SMPS which is to power USB Regen.

Then it is needed to be burn in.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #29 - 09/03/15 at 20:22:32

I got my USB Regen on Tuesday night - I've not had much time on it yet. Still figuring it out. I'm going to let Palomino listen before I post any thoughts on it. I've had it plugged in and playing none stop for two days now...if it does need burn-in, it's getting it now.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 09/08/15 at 14:25:31

I stopped by Raven's Multi-media lair yesterday to give the regen a listen.  I will wait for his report before chiming in.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 09/09/15 at 20:46:50

Raven said he's tied up so go ahead.  Here is my brief report.  The entire listening session was probably 30-45 minutes but enough to form an opinion.

He had the regen running into his PS Audio DS Dac via the hard extension supplied with the regen.  We listened to a few different artists, but our A/B tune was primarily Jersey Girl by Holly Cole.  I think a 24/96 version.

I thought it was fairly easy to see that there was a difference with the Regen in the system.  Better focus/positioning on the instruments for me (I was in the sweet spot) and more detail.  

For example, there is a tambourine that is in the Jersey girl song.  With the Regen, it sounds more like a real tambourine where you hear the multiple "clinks" (for lack of a better word).  Without it, you hear it as more of a single clink and it just wasn't as real.  Some people say more air with the regen.  I didn't necessarily hear that.

On Computer Audiophile, they talk about a 20% increase (subjective I know), but Raven and I independently put our own subjective rating lower.  He said 10%, I said 10% to 15%.  Worth the $175, I think.

Anyway, I bought one an will try it out with the supplied SMPS and a small linear supply I have that puts out 5-6v.  The manufacturer is backed up so I won't have it till October.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #32 - 09/10/15 at 21:36:20

The designer says that each system is going to react differently because of how the device interacts with the DAC chip. So improved bass might simply not be something the DS sees with this combination.

I also feel the 20% improvement is is relative as well. Where my system stands now, with the Yale Final on the DS, and Zen Mystery Amp, and decent cables, and a highly tweaked Tiny Form Factor PC...10% is a pretty big improvement, especially to squeeze out of a $175 device!

Yeah, it's staying in the system, I just need to find a safer way of hanging it off the DS with the "solid" USB plug.

If I could find a Jitterbug in stock, I'd try that as well.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 09/11/15 at 14:00:48

I have taken a different path investing more in my room to get the best sound, but I am confident that I'll get some improvement out of this little device.  

Yeah, improved bass was another thing I did not notice on Raven's system with the regen, although it is widely reported over on CA.

There are some good reports of it working with Chord DACs, albeit the EX or 2Qute.  The weakness of the Chord QuteHD when it first came out was the USB interface.  Thus I bought the SDIF converter.  I will be trying it with both the converter and direct into the DAC to see which sounds better.  Net/net I could end up being able to sell one of my coax cables and the converter and more than pay for the regen.

I ordered some right angle RCA adapters so I can use the short solid USB adapter with either the SDIF or direct to the Chord.  Maybe I can lure Eric back over to my place with regen in hand Wink.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 09/17/15 at 14:34:10

I mentioned this in the weekend audio tweaks thread, but thought I would also mention it here where it is more on-topic.  I took a TeraDak linear power supply adjusted to about 6V to Eric's house to see how what effect it had on SQ when using the Regen.

It did help, particularly in the bass region where it tightened up and focused the bass.

I am looking forward to having one in my system.  I am getting a fantastic sound stage but everything could use a little tightening up/focus/detail like I heard at Eric's both times.  Granted he is running a ZMA/PS Audio DS DAC, but I have found anything that helps the source sounds better on the Torii/Chord combo I have.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #35 - 09/17/15 at 16:48:35

This still all boggles my mind, because I came from the "bits is bits" mentality, and a USB hub (Regenerator) and changing a power supply on said regenerator shouldn't make a difference. But it does. I've even gone as far as doing the PS Audio "bit perfect" test on the DAC to prove that with and without the Regen, the bit's are technically the same. So there is a lot more going on here then just bits (I have friends who still poo-poo this, but I don't know enough to counter their reasoning why bits are bits).

But I heard everything Palo heard. I was sitting off-axis at my computer desk playing DJ, so I didn't hear as much imaging as I did tightening and focus and micro-detail.

Quote:
I ordered some right angle RCA adapters so I can use the short solid USB adapter with either the SDIF or direct to the Chord.  Maybe I can lure Eric back over to my place with regen in hand Wink.

I have a date with my new favorite girl this weekend, but I don't know if it will be Saturday or Sunday yet. I'm probably available around Noon either day though. Ping me and we'll figure it out.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #36 - 09/17/15 at 16:54:47

Also, I'm going to cut a wood block to hold up the Regen and keep it from sagging on the USB port on the DS. I'd hate to have to pay for a new board because the USB got damaged.

Also part 2 - I may be looking at taking on roommate to help make ends meet. So my 2am listening sessions and that spare bedroom are probably going away for a few months.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 09/17/15 at 17:55:27

I have read some of the technical stuff on this gizmo and they don't focus exclusively on regenerating the bits but also on lowering the noise that is generated "where the bits get processed."  

A lower noise signal being read in by the DAC (the designer calls it signal integrity) makes the DAC work less hard and as a result, it produces less noise at the first stage of processing.  

The regen itself produces noise as it processes the USB signal coming in, so the higher quality signal coming in makes it work less hard and thus produces less noise on the output to the DAC.  That's why a higher quality USB cords have been shown to still improve the overall sound.

Still USB cords can introduce some noise in the signal and that's why after the regen and going into the dac, the preference seems to be for the short adapter rather than a USB cord.  Shorter length = less impact on the signal.

Finally, a linear power supply (or batteries) also don't add as much noise (as the SMPS) to either the mains or the regen itself, thus it seems to help SQ as well.

Seems the whole computer/USB chain has the potential to introduce noise at each link.  This thing works on one of the links.

I don't know if I got this completely right or if any of this makes EE sense, but I do know it sounds gooder.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 09/17/15 at 23:05:44

Quote:
This still all boggles my mind, because I came from the "bits is bits" mentality, and a USB hub (Regenerator) and changing a power supply on said regenerator shouldn't make a difference. But it does. I've even gone as far as doing the PS Audio "bit perfect" test on the DAC to prove that with and without the Regen, the bit's are technically the same.

Quote:
Seems the whole computer/USB chain has the potential to introduce noise at each link.  This thing works on one of the links.
I don't know if I got this completely right or if any of this makes EE sense, but I do know it sounds gooder.

Being a EE for 30+ years, I hesitate to comment on this...mainly because my hearing is not so great any longer and "differences" have to be pretty extreme for me to notice. Volume changes and noise are easy but quality of reproduction, etc. are not.
So I will limit my comments to this:
Bits are bits, but lots of "unwanted stuff" can be brought along with the "wanted stuff" (bits). The transmitters, receivers and auto-correction codecs used for most hardware links like USB, Ethernet, I2S, etc. have become so immune to out-of-band noise (data/clock, tx/rx band, not audio band) that the reconstruction of the data itself is almost always bit perfect at the receiving end. If the link signal quality is so poor due to cable length, poor connections, poor termination, impedance mismatch, interference, etc., that the data can't be reconstructed near perfect, then all sorts of bad things happen and more than likely the result will be audibly awful or even not recognizable enough by the DAC for playback. So that's probably NOT where this type device is helping, in most reasonably decent setups.
However, the "unwanted stuff", even the seemingly not harmful to the data stuff, still has to be disposed of (filtered, etc.) or it just continues to pollute the analog resultant, gets amplified more than once up the chain and based on how good the reproduction equipment is we hear it manifested in untold number of ways.
So, if you can clean up the waste, even the waste that seems to have no effect on the data accuracy, before it gets to the end, even perfect looking data "could" be made to sound better. And in the case of USB this also applies to the power transfer, if it's used, probably even more as that tends to be unimportant and gets overlooked in other uses for USB (non-audio).
Maybe a weak analogy would be cleaning up muddy water. The H2O itself (bits) is still in there in pure form. The regen is a course filter that takes out the worst of the mud, even to the point of the water looking clean and clear, but there's still something remaining that makes it taste funny. Then the DAC and it's circuitry are free to fine-filter out the bad taste without having to clean out the mud....ahhh, maybe not that simple! lol
I'm not saying the regen is just some noise filter but it may be helping to reduce the things that can create more noise or that allow more noise and artifacts into the system. JMO. YMMV. WTF...

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 09/17/15 at 23:18:33

The only thing I would add to your analogy is that a quality USB cord filters out some mud, then the regen filters out some more mud so the DAC doesn't have to work too hard to filter out the rest (and in doing so create any new mud itself).

Eric refers to me as "old man" and I can still hear the difference the regen makes! Wink

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 09/21/15 at 18:52:56

OK Raven stopped by on Saturday and we listened to the Regen a little bit.  We tried it going into the SPDIF converter and directly into the Chord DAC.  We heard differences in each configuration.  It was hard to A/B though because of the DAC losing the handshake after each change.

The setup was also less than optimal.  In order to use the short, solid USB connector running from the regen to either the SPDIF converter or the DAC, we had to use these RCA angled connectors and they are crap.  It completely flattened the soundstage.

So we bailed on the solid USB connector and used Ravens USB cord running from the regen to the SPDIF.  This produced music where instruments more in the background came forward and sounded more "real."  Raven commented about a drum in a Heart song sounding more like it was loose material fitted over a drum head.  You could hear how loose it was.  We also heard one things like breaths being taken.  So more detail for sure.

One thing I was concerned by with the instruments coming forward the soundstage depth was compromised.  Eric thought the vocals were a bit etched with the regen.

Raven left the regen with me until he gets back from his weekly travels.  I was able to get it to run directly into the DAC with the solid connector without the use of the angled RCAs.  This produced the best sound yet.  All instruments sound more lifelike.  The sense of depth is back.  Also, I had the WE 16g interconnects in the system the whole time Eric was here.  I switched back to the Belden ICs and dialed the treble back just a touch.  This seemed to alleviate the etched vocals.

So I am excited about this.  I may be able to ditch the SPDIF converter and the coax and go straight into the DAC with the regen.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 09/22/15 at 23:25:23

I spent the last two days working at home and listened the entire day both days.  This regen is a must in my system.  

I think it may be a must for any computer generated audio with USB.  This is so smooth and detailed its a no brainer.  They are really on to something here.

$175 for the regen and $75 for the LPSU.  So $250 for this sound.  Great bargain.

First this, then the UFOs.  Good month for the hobby.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #42 - 09/28/15 at 22:09:37

It's a great little toy, isn't it? I'm looking forward to getting it back into my system. Maybe even trying to move my system into the spare bedroom on a trial run and see what kind of sound I can get. So enjoy it while you can.  :)

Now I just need to figure out how to explain to my techy friends how it works, and why it's not placebo.  I'm having some trouble speaking to this. Palo, have you seen any links describing this well?

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 09/29/15 at 00:07:07

Yeah their site has good explanations.  Ted smiths explanation mirrors their explanation as well.  Keep the discussion focused on noise and not bits and I think you will avoid a bits is bits argument.  Bad signal makes the dac work harder and that creates noise.

I should get my own unit soon.   I think I am in the first Oct batch.

IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 09/29/15 at 03:23:29

Here is other opinion against REGEN USB! Just for some negative opinion for your consideration. However I have my REGEN USB installed in my system and will not pull it out.

Dare I Mention The Regen Again?

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=5245

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18580-Science-Thread-Review-of-Audi...

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 09/29/15 at 12:39:11

Thanks.  I had read the first but not the second so that was new information.  As a layman, I do see some flaws in the testing in the second review but it's not worth more discussion.   I do think it's important to scroll down and see the color spectrum graph which I think more clearly represents what I hear.

I will say this.  The effect is more pronounced in my system than it is in Ravens.  So the degree of impact seems to be system dependent.  Also the short USB connector sounds much better than the cheap USB Cord they include.  My spdif converter is out of the system now and a lpsu greatly enhances the sound.

I listened to EmmyLou Harris Wrecking Ball last night.  This is a complex layered recording that my buddy in the biz raved about and I always thought it sounded congested.  Well with the regen it was certainly less congested last night.   I finally started hearing what I think he was talking about.  

There are about 2000 owners out there now.  More than a couple would be crying bs if this thing didn't have a positive impact in what you hear.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #46 - 09/29/15 at 14:27:39

Quote:
There are about 2000 owners out there now.  More than a couple would be crying bs if this thing didn't have a positive impact in what you hear.

"It's a placebo and they are all deluding themselves so they feel like they got their money's worth"

Seriously - I hear that every damn time I bring up my gear.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 09/29/15 at 15:10:38

I had some respect for his diligence in his tests till he said that.  Then he lost me.

IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 09/30/15 at 02:48:04

Yesterday I just changed from stock SMPS to battery. The sound quality improves significantly. It is not subtle. It likes that you open your glass window and see through without glass window. The background is more black and transparency. All the glare, particularly of high frequency range is totally disappear. Both frequency top and bottom extend more. I highly recommend to use battery or LPS instead of stock SMPS.

Here is the weblink from e-Bay.
Battery.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-DC-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-CCTV-Cam-6800mAh-F47-...

TeraDak LSP.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130912875418?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301694857782?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STR...

T2eC16JsE9swmyUTBRjkur56hg--60_12.JPG

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 09/30/15 at 07:43:59

I wonder how the iFi Audio iUSB3.0 may fair against the Regen?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #50 - 09/30/15 at 14:54:44

That's the LPSU I am using.

I think there is some dialogue around the ifi unit over on Computer Audiofile.  You'd have to wade through the listening impressions to find it.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #51 - 09/30/15 at 16:53:44

I'm considering getting that battery posted...I can't spend much, but I wouldn't mind squeezing some more improvement out of the system.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 09/30/15 at 17:47:37

Burried in the regen thread over on Computer Audiophile you can find some battery suggestions.  Most I saw were not very expensive.  Recharable 9 volt is fine and the regen doesn't seem to have big draw.  There are certain conditions when you can use 12v.

I also tuned back in to that "science thread" discussion of the regen that is posted above.  It has totally devolved into a sewer.  They can't get on the same page in terms of what they are even arguing about.  Somewhat entertaining, but very little new information being shared.

BTW, one of the Uptone Audio guys posted on the "science forum" what has been sold/returned.  Since it debuted this spring, he has sold around 1,700 and had 8 returned (.5%).  Mine is supposed to ship Oct 9.

Anyway, I will bring your regen this weekend and if we get a chance to use a USB based source we can see if the other festers think its all placebo.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #53 - 09/30/15 at 19:02:25

Yeah, I skimmed that thread for any of Superdad's posts and saw that.

That apparently isn't useful data. LOL

That whole thread is people telling me I'm delusional for hearing an improvement. I wasn't expecting any, being super skeptical of such devices - but I heard it, and Palomino heard it, and our notes were very similar - so we heard the same changes/improvements.

Just because I'm not a scientist and can't/don't know how to measure it, doesn't mean the changes are in my imagination.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 09/30/15 at 19:17:25

It would be one thing if they did what they thought were valid measurements and state their findings.

That would have left someone like me saying, 'hmmm, that test (if done correctly) didn't explain what I am hearing, maybe some other test is required."

Unfortunately, they didn't stop with an objective statement of findings.  They had to get the placebo "dig" in and that always leads to a discussion that ends up chasing its tail.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #55 - 09/30/15 at 19:47:05

I'm also seeing...I guess I'd call it reverse placebo. It's  "I don't see anything in the measurements, so I don't hear anything when listening. "

Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 09/30/15 at 22:25:21

So what do you think of doing double blind testing to clear up the "subtle but clear improvement" questions?
I'll have to admit I always "want" the things I've read about making improvements to actually be an improvement in my system.
Too many times I've read about some item, say a $1,500 USB cable making a "definite but subtle improvement in X, Y and Z". If I spend $1500 adding something to my system the last word I want to come to mind is subtle.
To me, subtle means that in a few days I likely won't even be able to recognize a difference and that I may have wasted my money.
Not an argument starter here but wondering what your thoughts are on nailing down improvement with testing.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 09/30/15 at 22:57:46

I think its great in concept, but very difficult and time consuming to do correctly.  I generally don't get that worked up about somebody disagreeing with me to go to the effort to prove them right or wrong.

Raven and I sometimes do the highly scientific "you first" test.  It's not even single blind.  We both know a change has been made.  But one of us has to go first in terms of describing what difference were heard.  Then the other (on his honor) states what he heard.  Generally, we hit on about 2/3 of the opinion.  He may hear something slightly different than me or vice versa.

Anything we both agree makes a positive difference is generally enough to consider a purchase.  We also do this at CDApS.  Rob and I heard the UFOs in his system and were both slack jawed enough that no conversation was even necessary.  A couple days later, he bought.  I am still contemplating my next move.  I'd like to hear them in a Rachael.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 10/01/15 at 01:36:08

Btw some of the negative threads on the regen suggest that all the positive comments serve to impact the opinions of those who read, buy and then post.   It feeds on itself.  An interesting idea.

So I made a point of inviting myself over to Ravens to hear it.  It wasn t until after our little session that I decided to buy it.  Did I subconsciously want to hear something so I "did?"  

Did I just need a little audio fix and this was low cost high benefit supposedly so I told myself that it worked?  All possible but it has lasted two weeks so far and I am excited about the prospect of the illusion continuing.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 10/01/15 at 17:55:20

I haven't tried the Regen, because I'm doubtful it will make an improvement on the SOtM USB audio card in my Auraliti
PK90(powered by a Linear PSU) and my DAC doesn't need to see the 5VDC buss power.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #60 - 10/01/15 at 18:12:30

Quote:
Btw some of the negative threads on the regen suggest that all the positive comments serve to impact the opinions of those who read, buy and then post.   It feeds on itself.  An interesting idea.

So I made a point of inviting myself over to Ravens to hear it.  It wasn t until after our little session that I decided to buy it.  Did I subconsciously want to hear something so I "did?"  

Did I just need a little audio fix and this was low cost high benefit supposedly so I told myself that it worked?  All possible but it has lasted two weeks so far and I am excited about the prospect of the illusion continuing.

And I was totally straight faced in all preceding conversations - never once did I let out that I was impressed with it and clearly heard an improvement. I'd just shrug and say  - you tell me.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 10/01/15 at 18:15:42

Plus when you are quiet it typically means you hear no change or don't like the change.  Way to mess with me.

On the SOtM card, I'm not sure I read anyone over at computer audiophile commenting on it and/or an improvement.  Maybe there is a reason for that.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 10/10/15 at 14:11:53

Paul McGowan of PS Audio weighed in on the regen:

While at RMAF I moved from the Jitterbug to the Uptone regen–a powered, fancier version of Jitterbug–this thing really works well, best I have yet heard.

The Regen is like the Power Plant of USB. It accepts USB data from the computer, places it into essentially a USB hub, then reclocks the data back out to the DAC. Why should this make anything better? Because computers as sources are noisy, jitter prone devices. Some DACs, like DirectStream, remove jitter fed into them–but that does not mean all jitter goes away. This is because DirectStream is still sensitive to power supply and noise issues, as Ted Smith discussed in yesterday’s post.  Well worth the read if you have a chance.

The Uptone Regen, highly recommended for any DAC.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #63 - 10/10/15 at 21:39:09

Well hopefully you'll return mine soon!

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 10/11/15 at 13:10:28

Today if you come over!  I got the green light.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #65 - 10/11/15 at 21:53:40

So I stopped by Palomino's today, and listened to his Torii III setup in his well treated, and fantastic sounding room. He popped my regen in one last time before I took it home.

Yeah, it's the real deal. The reverb in recordings sounded more focused, instruments a little more natural, imaging was a little sharper and soundstage a little wider. I also felt that tracks where the micro-detail sounded congested when they got loud or really busy, sounded sharper and less congested.

At this point, nobody is going to convince me this is placebo

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 10/12/15 at 00:11:52

You forgot to mention that this was a quasi-single-blind test environment.  Take that numbers guys!

Good talking with you.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 10/16/15 at 16:47:06

I was out all week at a conference in Vegas but when I got home, my regen had arrived.  

I wasn't expecting much given it would be cold and the amp was cold, but I was very pleasantly surprised that it sounded really, really good.  

The instruments now have more air around them and seem to float a little more 3D in the soundstage.  The music engulfed me more like a nice warm soft blanket but with more realistic detail.

I played the Chesky soundstage test track I have mentioned before and it was clearly the best I have heard it.  The key difference was that effect where the musicians go behind you is more convincing.

The only change versus my listening sessions with Eric's regen was that I brought home from the cottage one of my better DIY power cords to use with the LPSU for the regen.

I had also heard an improvement with Eric's regen when I did a PC swap before.  So twice now, I have heard an improvement as I moved up the chain in power cord quality.

Anyway, I can say pretty confidently that the LPSU really helps the regen and using a good power cord on the LPSU helps even more.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #68 - 10/20/15 at 15:02:31

I'm selling some gear this week - so I'll have a little money to put towards a better PSU.

Has there been one that really stands out as "best" for the Regen? Maybe I should just wait for Regen version II? Whenever that will be...

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 10/20/15 at 16:56:18

I think I have seen three flavors in the forums.  

Their high end JS2 at $925, the teradak like I have at about $70 and the "el cheapo" for around $60 that has a nice r-core transformer.  

I think the JS2 is better, but not sure I have read a review of the teradak vs the el cheapo.

Some people are waiting for their new PS.  Not sure of the release date.  I think November at the earliest.

IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 10/22/15 at 04:12:10

Hi,

I use DC battery as a power supply to USB Regen for cost saving of power cord. And the DC battery is much cheaper than LPS. As I read in forum, the sound quality improvement between LPS versus DC battery supply is not significant different.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-5V-9V-12V-3-in-1-DC-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-Pack...

s-l500.jpg

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 10/22/15 at 11:56:29

Looks pretty good.  9v setting as well.  How long do you get out of a charge?

IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 10/22/15 at 13:07:21

Hi

Just recharge one time a week. USB regen consume very little power.
Just to make sure that battery power is always strong.  

First get, the battery should be recharged for 24 hours even supplier did charge already

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 10/28/15 at 12:11:11

My Regen arrived last week and I finally had a chance to get it into the system this weekend.  The one track I listened to was "House of the Rising Sun" from the Opus 3 DSD sampler as I did a few comparisons.

1) Physically, the Regen was smaller than I was expecting based on the pictures.
2) I have it hooked up to my DAC with the small USB cord they provided.  I initially used the direct connection but like others have mentioned I didn't like how it put pressure on my USB input.  I didn't notice much difference between the two connections.  In my system, the short cord was good enough.  
3) When the Regen was connected I noticed blacker backgrounds, more focused imaging and more natural sounding instruments (cymbals/percussion).  Dynamics were very good and transients well defined.  I wouldn't describe these as small differences that you have to 'squint to see'.  
4) My initial sense was that I lost a little bit of depth to the soundstage.  The percussion rear/left of the SS didn't seem set as far back, but I may have been imagining this.
5) I also have a Jitterbug.  When I add this either in parallel or series, transients become less pronounced (softer) and the entire soundstage shifts back (increased depth).  I need to listen further to determine if this is something I like, particularly the softer transients.  The Jitterbug by itself is definitely less of a WOW vs. the Regen.

I have a modest computer setup and I am still navigating my way into computer audio.  MacBook Pro (battery) /SS HD/Audirvana Plus/Generic USB Cable.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 10/28/15 at 12:43:31

I think if you can get the short connector to work in your setup you'll see some gains in all areas over time.  My Dac is small so it barely fits.  I tried right angle connectors with terrible results.  Eric is trying to prop his up so it does not dangle.  

In general the sound got better after a few hours being powered up.

Power will also improve the sound.  Eric ordered one of those batteries recommended above and we will see how that does versus my linear power supply.

They talk a lot about still getting gains out of better usb cords.  I am using a Pangea Eric loaned me but might experiment a little there.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 10/28/15 at 17:37:07

Pal...sounds like I have a lot of room to improve.  What is encouraging is that I noticed a difference with the Regen right out of the box.

I didn't have a lot of time last weekend to listen, so hopefully I can squeeze in a few hours this weekend to solidify my observations.  I want to focus a little more on the Regen + Jitterbug.  My initial preference was Regen alone vs. the combination.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 10/28/15 at 18:36:07

Yes, most interested in your thoughts.  I think Eric bought a jitterbug so I might get to try before I buy once again.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 10/29/15 at 17:20:58

Does anyone notice a difference in volume with the Regen in the signal path?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 10/29/15 at 17:39:50

I don't recall hearing any difference in volume although it has been noted on CA.   They may have chalked it up to greatry clarity thus a perceived louder sound.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #79 - 10/30/15 at 22:07:08

I didn't notice any volume difference, but that said, we've heard an apparent volume difference when we've swapped from a $30 digital cable to a $350 digital cable. So *something* is going on there. I too would chalk it up to clarity and blacker background making it sound louder.

I have my regen in with the solid cord all the time now. It's drooping, but I'm going to cut a nice wood block for it to rest on. I did order that battery mentioned above, but it's coming on a slow boat from Hong Kong. I probalby could have made something in the mean time, but I figure I'll just be patient.

I didn't order a Jitterbug - they were sold out each time I looked to get one, and I'm kinda broke right now. Though it is my birthday in two weeks, so maybe I'll sell something to buy something. Crap, I need new tubes...I've plum wore-out my power tubes on the ZMA. Two years is way too long for me to be beating on them. I also have a preamp tube that's going. Time to offer to sweep floors and sling solder at Decware to afford a tube replacement!

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 10/30/15 at 22:54:33

For my birthday I bought some tweeters for my latest boombox build, some plugs for a power cord build and a decent soldering iron (finally).

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 10/31/15 at 02:47:13

I have been listening casually this evening...streaming Tidal via my computer.   The Regen seems to make Tidal less harsh.  More specifically, it seems to reduce glare/hash in the highs.  For reference, I am streaming Tidal via wireless, web browser only, without an audio shell (e.g. Amarra Tidal).  Prior to the Regen, Tidal was only tolerable for short durations and needed to be either turned down or off.  While not reference quality (yet), I can now listen to Tidal without fatigue.  Encouraging.        

This evening, my gut reaction to adding the Jitterbug is a slight loss of dynamics and transient detail.  This echoes my previous reaction when listening critically last weekend.

More to come...

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #82 - 10/31/15 at 19:37:30

Quote:
For my birthday I bought some tweeters for my latest boombox build, some plugs for a power cord build and a decent soldering iron (finally).

What soldering iron did you get??

I picked up some used batteries from work - nice rechargeable 6v bricks. I'm wondering if I can use them to power the regen. I need to figure out what the regen power range is. I'm not sure if my Li-On / NM-Hi battery charger can do these batteries though.

kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 10/31/15 at 23:37:03

Another Jitterbug review:

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/audioquest_jitterbug.htm

PS- even though I doubt the Regen will make an improvement on the SOtM USB audio card in my Auraliti PK90 (powered by a Linear PSU), I ordered one to try out.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 11/01/15 at 12:34:47

I just ordered a mid level one from parts express.  Nothing fancy.

I have my lpsu set at 6v right now.  I think the range is 6-12v. 12v only if your Dac does not use the 5v.  I think it beats the regen up too much stepping down from 12v to 5v.  

I have read about people with very good usb boards still getting a lift out of the regen.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 11/12/15 at 00:30:04

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #86 - 11/12/15 at 20:10:33

Interesting....his description of the improvements with the Curious cable sounds exactly like how I'd describe the USB Regen by itself (well, it's not by itself, it's got my Pangea silver cable and it's own short cable).

He seems to really like that Curious cable, and it makes me want to try it and see if it bests my inexpensive Pangea.

kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 11/12/15 at 20:32:29

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 11/12/15 at 20:33:41

If only you had an audio buddy who won a little money at the craps table... Wink

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 11/12/15 at 20:43:39

Also, per the stereophile measurements, he's the second person to observe no difference via measurements in the analogue outputs on the DAC.  

Given that literally thousands of people hear a difference, me thinks they are not measuring what is causing the reported difference.

Or maybe this is similar to how so many people report seeing bigfoot and describing the creature in a similar fashion.  Or describe aliens.

Anyway, I will continue to enjoy hearing what can't be measured.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #90 - 11/12/15 at 22:34:51

I think it's now more than two that have measured no differences at this point.
The main issue I have with saying,
Quote:
me thinks they are not measuring what is causing the reported difference

is that I have reviewed the internet postings on this and the people making the measurements are no slouches when it comes to describing what they are measuring and how they are doing the measurement.
Plus, the designer, for all his complaining about the measurement folks, has not been able to refute the measured results or produce any measurements himself as evidence that all the glossy theory claims he has on paper are any more than just fluff.
However, I will go along with,
Quote:
Anyway, I will continue to enjoy hearing what can't be measured.

as completely sane and reasonable for an audiophile.  :)

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 11/12/15 at 23:24:16

Not much sanity in this hobby Grin

I think uptone didn't help themselves when they said they would measure then they didn't.  Then they said that it would take expensive test equipment with lower jitter than the DAC.  I'll try to find the link.

I doubt there are tests that could show how decware amps do what they do but here I am.  Imaging for example?  Air?  Dimensionality?  Size of soundstage?  What electrical test can measure that?  I suppose you can measure noise and odd/even harmonics and deduce from those measures that you can achieve some of those attributes in their presence or absence.  

Until such measurements come about I will stick to my ears backed up by the high-precision lonely Raven and/or Proggrob test.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 11/13/15 at 01:01:53

Unfortunately, there are few very measurements that correlate with consumer acceptance in this hobby.  Very few, if any, manufacturers would have the resources to execute designed experiments to develop the technical/consumer models.  The system to be modeled is extremely complex.  Modeling a single component would be complicated, never mind how the components interact with each other and the room. New measurement methods take a lot of time and resources to develop.

There are consumer segments in this hobby.  Those that rely on measurements and those that rely on their ears.  It's purely art for some, technical for others.  Fortunately, there appears to be a segment that have found a balance.  

At the end of the day, I hope everyone is enjoying music.  Music is a form of storytelling and that's what engages us as human beings.  I think most of us are trying to hear the story a little more clearly.  Decware works for me and so does the Regen, but this audio world is complex.

Enjoy!

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 11/13/15 at 02:46:07

"Measuring the signal integrity of the USB signal is something fairly easy to do with a 3–4GHz scope and an eye-pattern test. Jitter measurements are a lot harder[;] at the exceedingly low level we are looking at[,] it takes some rather expensive test equipment."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/uptone-audio-usb-regen-manufacturers-comment#...

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 11/13/15 at 12:03:59

Yes, that's the comment I was thinking of.  Thanks kana.

As I alluded to above, I did buy a short curious cable pigtail USB cord to experiment with.  I think I can test it before and after the regen.

Last night, I did switch around power cords - not on the regen, but on the mac mini (AC5) and the DAC LPSU (original synergistic research).  I lost a little soundstage and air, but gained focus.

I did notice at Decfest where I brought my three best power cords, that a better power cord on the regen LPSU made a difference.

I will have more time to play with it this weekend.  I am heading to the cottage in Michigan where the power is ultra clean.  Only 2 neighbors within a mile that are up there full time during the colder months.  Rachael amp instead of the Torii, but I'll still look for the right power cord combo.  I take my mobile Mac/DAC stack and power cords with me.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 11/13/15 at 16:05:42

Quote:
Measuring the signal integrity of the USB signal is something fairly easy to do with a 3–4GHz scope and an eye-pattern test. Jitter measurements are a lot harder[;] at the exceedingly low level we are looking at[,] it takes some rather expensive test equipment.

Again, why make all these detailed claims then explain why you can't prove it with this lame excuse?
Lots of independent test labs out there that can do it and you don't have to buy the equipment.
I've been designing electronic equipment for 30+ years and no company I ever worked for has been able to (or needed to) afford all the equipment required to test some parameter we needed to meet.
I say again, just say it sounds better if it does.
Audiophiles will follow that and try it.
At this point I would say they have sold enough to be able to afford to have an independent lab do the testing if they really wanted to.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 11/13/15 at 18:29:12

There is a great thread going on over at what's best if you are interested in debating this.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 11/13/15 at 19:40:16

Core32,

Great post!

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 11/13/15 at 22:42:56

Pal,
I been observing that site for quite some time, even made a comment or two, and that's what set me off a bit here.  :)

I think my post here is getting a bit off the topic so I am going to drop it now that I've said my peace.
You should enjoy listening to whatever if it sounds good.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 11/14/15 at 00:04:30

As should you!

I am curious though.  Have you had an opportunity to hear the regen?

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #100 - 11/14/15 at 01:45:47

Nope. I don't really need it to be happy with my setup and my hearing isn't that great at this point.
I even have trouble hearing a noticeable difference between decent tubes and much higher priced ones.
$3000 power cords or interconnects? Forget it.
That's one reason I would never say the regen has no positive merit.

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 11/14/15 at 02:48:25

I have had the regen for a while. There was an immediate improvement. I especially noticed the bass get tighter on the ERRx radials. Yesterday I got a JS-2 Linear power supply from Uptone. I liked this unit because I could power my regen at 7 VDC and at the same time power my 1 watt MicroZOTL2 amp at 12 VDC. The ERRx have never sounded so good. The regen is for real and got better with a good power supply.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 11/14/15 at 12:59:03

ILance, have your read much about varying the voltage to the regen?

If you ever played with it I'd be interested in your thoughts.

That seems like a great ps.  I am now running 3 lpsu - all Teradak.   A bit inefficient with all the cords and footprint.

Fair enough Core.  My hearing ain't what it used to be either.  I also don't invest in the exotic.  Although my wife has a different opinion Shocked

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #103 - 11/14/15 at 14:22:53

Palomino, I haven't had it long enough to get used to the new/better SQ quite yet, but I will read up on "varying voltage", sounds interesting.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 11/14/15 at 14:28:46

Taking a few quotes regarding measurements out of the broader hypothesis is somewhat misleading.  My sense from the broader discussion is that the mechanism is fairly complex and a single measurement (e.g. signal integrity of the USB signal) isn’t likely to support the theory.  

I also get the sense that they have tried using measurements and continue to explore new ways to measure and generate data to help support their hypothesis (and that some elements they will likely never be able to measure).

Not having methods that correlate with performance is making their development process longer and more subjective.  Afterall, hearing is still a measurement, it’s just a more subjective measure with greater standard deviation vs. a well designed technical method.  

The decision to outsource testing to an independent lab would have to be justified by an increase in sales.  I think it’s possible they could sell more Regens with supporting data, but it seems like they can’t even keep up with demand as it currently stands.  

In my system, with my ears, I hear a positive impact having the Regen in my signal chain.  YMMV.  

BTW...I have no affiliation whatsoever with Uptone, I just have a slightly different POV. 

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #105 - 11/14/15 at 21:11:39

LR/Pal…I am also curious about the Curious.  I don't plan to use the dongle provided with the Regen.  It puts too much stress on the USB input and prevents me from using one of the I2S inputs on my DAC.  So, I may pick up the Curious Regen link too.

I am currently using a generic USB cable and the switching power supply for the Regen, so I have a lot of upside potential.  It sounds like they are working on a small linear power supply for the Regen, but it could be a while.  That said, I am in no rush.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 11/15/15 at 12:22:36

I decided to try the curious just to see what a "good" USB cable sounds like, a couple of posts on computer audiophile pand the John Darko review.   That and I won a little mad money at a casino in New Orleans.  Freak thing.  I never win.

I got a lift from the lpsu, the dongle and what power cord I use.  Eric now has a battery that I would like to try.  A December CDApS is brewing for some regen testing, UFO listening and copper beeswax impressions.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #107 - 11/17/15 at 02:20:55

Yeah, the battery for sure give me a little bit of a lift. It's somehow very slightly more involving than using the stock power.

I'm just having issues charging this battery now. Not sure why.

Pal, did you already order the Curious cable? Did you order the short, or the long? Because I think with your mad-money, I'd focus on the long...or both if you can swing it. I was close to ordering the long for myself as a birthday present...but I really need to keep on the straight and narrow with my spending.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 11/17/15 at 15:25:02

I ordered the short thinking it would be long enough to test it before of after the regen.  The consensus seems to have it somewhere in your chain.  I have a couple other mad money purchases so I didn't want to put that much into a cable.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #109 - 11/17/15 at 23:34:27

Understood-

I'm still having issues charging this battery. I got one good use out of it, and now it only lasts for about 10 seconds then dies. I think I got jipped.

If I can't get it going tonight (trying to charge yet again), then I'm going to E-mail them and hope they just sound out a replacement. I might be back to figuring out how to charge one of my 6v lantern batteries.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 11/18/15 at 18:23:01

From my own experimentation and what I have read of others experiences, the regen seems to be a power sensitive device.

LPSU better than stock SMPS

Better power cord better than stock power cord

Battery better than LPSU

I am now running my second best power cord (PS Audio AC5) on the regen LPSU and feel that along with my Synergistics Research cord going to the Mac and my DIY Belden going to the DAC to be the best combo.

I am going to keep playing with it to be sure.  I am also going to up the voltage output from the LPSU to 7 volts (6 currently) which I think is the optimal as far as I can tell from other posts on CA.

The next CDApS is currently scheduled for December 20 where I will hopefully gain support for my findings from younger ear'd members than myself.  

I will have the Curious link cable by then and last night I figured out that I can run it to the regen or after the regen given that the Chord DAC is so small.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #111 - 11/19/15 at 02:54:01

Quote:
The USB REGEN's secondary function is that it disconnects the computer's noisy 5 volt bus power coming down the USB cable, and provides clean 5VBUS on its output--for DACs that need it—via a second ultra low-noise regulator.

Yes, but it is not a panacea if the usb packet noise and 8kHz carrier are "infused" into the data or ground, which is why I have to use an Adnaco S3B fiber--over-usb - I can hear this noise in audible band at my speakers otherwise (i.e. REGEN > Computer direct using SMPS LPSU or battery!). Just FYI.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #112 - 11/19/15 at 12:26:40

I think that some of that may be handled by the regeneration phase of the device.  It's two step.  I thinks it's also why you want to use as short a cord or the connector after the regen.  I'll look around for a comment on this by the designer.

I know I read that some felt that the regen sounded better than the Corning optical cable.  Not sure if this is similar to what you have or not.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #113 - 11/19/15 at 19:53:20

In regards to the Curious Cable, it would make sense that it would have to be placed after the Regen (from Regen to DAC) correct?  I just don't see how a USB cable could effect the sound if used from the PC to the Regen because the Regen is doing something to the signal before sending it to the DAC.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 11/19/15 at 20:02:24

Beowulf - the problem is the the Uptone can still be fed nasty crud from the ground or even the data of the USB going direct to the PC. If you don't get those nasties, then what you say might hold true. Alex Crespi has stated as much and  I need to find his comments which were summarized on Head-Fi.

My system, I tested an external USB3 hub, and going direct to my USB ports, ended up with nasty packet noise on the speakers - this was with the REGEN on BATTERY or LPSU on a different circuit altogether in between.

DAC < REGEN > Computer

I use the Adnaco, so I don't have any other tools to test blocking the packet noise but I could test what it's riding on, but from what I gather it can becoming embedded in the data signal so cable tweaks may not work...maybe filters like Hydra-X, Schiit, etc help?

I do have an Audioquest Jitterbug coming, and a special USB cable to go from Adnaco to Regen that does not use the 5V, even though running on batteries I hear no audible nasties.

I'm curious if folks using DACs and computers can remove any filters they have and just see what you have as a starting point, how many folks hear that packet noise/8kHz carrier wave?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #115 - 11/19/15 at 23:20:09

Sorry Hifi, just reread your post and saw you were getting the noise with the regen in place.

I don't get anything out of the ordinary without the regen.  Just better sound with it in.

I am using Audirvana which shuts down a lot of processes and I am using a SSD, external LPSU with my mac plus an internal power filter.  I would suspect that contributes to lower crud, but not carrier based noise.

On a separate note, I did tape over the 5v pin on the USB cord before the regen and felt it enhanced the sound.

Raven, I may want to hear the battery before the next CDApS if either of us are in each other's neighborhood.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #116 - 11/20/15 at 03:46:38

Where can I get some info on the battery PSU?

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #117 - 11/20/15 at 16:37:53

I have some laptop Anker batteries that work, but it's argued since they have switching regulators to change voltage they aren't the best. Still they work, and I don't hear anything adverse. You can use up to 12V.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #118 - 11/20/15 at 16:50:02

Last night, I removed the tape from the USB cord power pin and felt there was a difference in the size of the soundstage and the fullness of the instruments, so I put it back in.

I upped the voltage on the regen LPSU from 6 to 7 volts and did not perceive a difference.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #119 - 11/20/15 at 21:14:16

@ hifitubes, yes I could see that being a potential problem and will keep that in mind as I have not tried the Regen (or any USB cleanup device for that matter) as of yet.  Though, I'm considering the iFi iUSB 3.0 unit over the Regen as well.  because it deals with power cleanup on top of re-clocking, etc. and possibly their Gemini USB cable as I like the idea of the dual cable separation.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #120 - 11/21/15 at 00:08:04

When does this project find a end point?  You adaptors are speaking to a silent group of Decware faithful.  And, a very low checkbook balance!

On the advise gained here we have added a Jitterbug, a well regarded USB cable and should receive the Regen soon.  Now I gotta spring for a better power supply?

Just a thought, what if the Regen in the chain makes the music sound as good as it could possibly be?  Can I stop there or are you going to send someone over here and force me to sell an appendage to afford to keep up here?

Seriously, the Jitterbug made a big step up on this setup.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #121 - 11/21/15 at 01:30:47

When does it find an end point?  NEVER!  (Insert evil laughter here).

Seriously, I think the regen with a good power supply or battery is a very good stopping point.   I would love to try the jitterbug but Raven is letting me down.

I will know in a week if a good USB cord brings anything to the party.

After that, the icing on the cake is a good power cord feeding the regen lpsu and a better USB cord before the regen or possibly taping the power pin (1) on an existing USB cord going in to the regen.

Many are reporting good lift with just the regen and stock power supply.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #122 - 11/21/15 at 01:45:34

It would be good if one of you fine chaps would post a picture on how to tape the power pin on the USB cable.

There is a brand new six volt car battery in the garage.  Could that be used?

Thanks in advance

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #123 - 11/21/15 at 02:24:59

I am not in a position to post a picture but pull out your USB cord from the computer and orient so that the white plastic spacer is on the bottom and you can see the four pins appear across the top of the spacer.

Pin 1 is to the far right.  Take notice of the space from the far right of the plug casing to the second pin.  I would guess that it's around 1/4 ". Maybe a bit less.  Take a piece of masking tape and cut a strip about that wide and about 1/2" long.  Insert with sticky side down till hit hits the back of the housing.  Bend what sticks out beyond the end down and press to the outside of the housing.  Then take a toothpick or some small flat instrument and put it inside the housing and press the tape down till it sticks to the pin/plastic spacer.  It it touches the second pin it is too wide, so re-cut. Carefully insert the cord back into the computer USB port.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #124 - 11/21/15 at 19:26:50

WOO-HO, Now I'm playing with the big kids!
Received the Regen this morning in the mail.
Alex shipped my unit out two days early so that I could start to
enjoy it while snowed in this weekend.

Presently listening to a DSD download of Holly Cole's "Temptation".
Sounds better than ever!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #125 - 11/22/15 at 12:41:52

That's great.  I have found Alex to be very responsive.

You may be the first one with a zen/regen combo.  Keep us informed.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #126 - 11/22/15 at 13:32:33

Mac mini (late 2012)
2.3 GHz core i7
16GB DDR3
internal 250GB SSD
external 250GB SSD
OS 10.11.1
Audirvana Plus 2.2.4
Jitterbug, Audioquest USB, UpTone Audio USB Regen Amber
Teac UD501
Decware DSR Silver interconnects
Decware SE34I Rachael
Decware DHC power cord
Decware ZSTYX speaker cables
Hawthorne Audio open baffle PSI 10”
Vintage ESS Heil’s crossed over with Mundorf Silver in oil caps
Well aged Decware DB10 (built by the master himself) powered by DirectServo plate amp
Various brass weights, vibration tweeks
AC power comes from a dedicated line with hospital grade recepticals
Well treated small room with diffusers, absorbers, bass traps

I listen in the very near field, sort of like headphones with a soundstage.
The Jitterbug/Regen combination have indeed made everything sound so
much better.

Dennis

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #127 - 11/22/15 at 14:39:24

DPC, tell me more about your Heil Air motion converters and how you set them up.  I had ESS AMT 10b speakers in the past and remember loving them.  Do you not have to use the complicated ESS crossover?  You just use one cap? Can you attenuate the highs like on the original speakers? I'm not technically inclined so I don't know how it works.  Thanks,  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #128 - 11/22/15 at 15:09:31

Hey Mark,

My good friend Randy suggested the crossover setup.  That is, use only the cap inline to the hot lead from the amp.  In this case the Heil's are crossed at about 9k.

Full disclosure, I have no real understanding of how this all works.  Hence, we rely on folks that we trust to lead the "unwashed" to salvation.  I am truly grateful!

Dennis

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #129 - 11/22/15 at 17:06:11

Sorry thought you were a zen 2 watt man.  How do you like audirvana 2.2.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #130 - 11/22/15 at 17:28:35

Dennis, would that be the Randy who makes those cool open baffle speakers that were at Decfest?  So with that set up you don't have the variable Heil control...correct?  I haven't heard the heils for almost 25 years...I have fond memories of them though.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #131 - 11/22/15 at 17:48:04

Pal, you were not wrong, there have been a few Decware amps here.  For my needs the Rachel fits the best right now.  Have been a Decware fanboy for about thirteen years now.  On whim I read some white papers Steve wrote and gave him a call and he invited to drop by for a listen.  End of story!

IMO computer audio is the present and future for the majority or average music lovers.  Have a PC running Foobar 2000, sounds OK but the Mac mini with Audirvana is the best player for my money.  Some folks like anchovies on their pizza, some don't.  To each his own!

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #132 - 11/22/15 at 17:57:48

Mark, That indeed is the same Randy!  Have known him for about as long as Steve.  A few years ago I was fortunate to have visited Randy's home and have not heard a better audio system.

You are correct, I do not have the variable control.  There are some people who feel that the original crossover was a drawback from what we know today.  Being technically challenged, I have to rely on help from those I have come to respect.

Dennis

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #133 - 12/04/15 at 14:20:56

Well, I got the curious regen link USB cable.  Took two weeks to arrive.  

I was going to wait to comment to see if Eric heard the same things I did, but this is so obvious he have to turn in his CDApS card and sell the ZMA if he couldn’t hear what this cable brings to the table.

It didn’t start out great though.  Nothing remarkable through the first night of listening.  But I ran music through it for 24 hours and then sat down and listened again last night.  

Pretty much everything that Rob (the designer) says, it will do.  Most notable is the dimensionality of the soundstage.  I thought I had a big soundstage going.  This increases it to a notable degree.  I did some A/B with the hard connector from the regen to the DAC and without rushing to complete the A/B; you could easily hear how the soundstage shrunk with the hard connector.

Smoother delivery, spot on tone, pretty much everything else he says.  Foot taping, front to back separation, all that.

One of my test tracks for anything new is Fleetwood Mac, Gold Dust Woman from the Rumors album.  During the first (not 2nd) chorus, I listen to see if I can pick out Christie McVee singing backup on the right side.  It’s a good detail/separation test.  Anyway, not only could I pick her out easily, but it gave the illusion of her being back several feet in the soundstage, and distinct from the rest of the track.

I tried the link in front of the regen and also after the regen and got the same effect, so I believe it is due to the curious cable.

I will try to get over to the Raven’s multimedia lair to see if it has the same effect with a Windows/ Directstream setup, but I do remember Alrainbow, of the PS Audio site citing good things in a post about pairing it with the DirectStream.

So I am on a pretty good run with the WE16g wire, the regen and LPSU and now the Curious cable.  Dare I try some new tubes??

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #134 - 12/04/15 at 14:49:27

Damn, you have my interest. I can't imagine the quality/accuracy getting any better than it is now!

Yeah, bring that little cable over and lets see what it does with the PSA DS  and battery powered USB Regen combo.

I've got some time off from the redhead this Saturday, and Sunday morning. Hit me up!

Also, my skeptic friend Mike can't make our Dec 20th CDApS meet.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #135 - 12/04/15 at 14:59:41

I forgot about the battery.  Yeah, that would be good to hear as well.

I should have some time this weekend.  A friend is in town so I have to figure out when I can get together with him, then I can let you know.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #136 - 12/04/15 at 21:56:33

New review out:

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2015/12/curious-usb-cable-review.html

Sounds like the reviewer did a lot of A/B like I did.

Tonight I am going to A/B it against my vinyl rig.  Granted, my vinyl rig is crap, but even with that, I still get a monster soundstage that typically beats my digital.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #137 - 12/06/15 at 12:22:03

There is such a positive boost to the soundstage presentation with the Curious regen link USB cable that I felt it rivaled what I get with vinyl.  My vinyl rig is very old (new cartridge), but I still delivers that huge multi-dimensional soundstage that I have never been able to match with digital.

The album I chose for the test was Joe Jackson’s Body and Soul – side 2.  This is a good semi-live recording that I believe was recorded in an old church in New York.  Joe Jackson has always taken care with the production of his albums and I have had this album since I was in my 20s.  Over the years I was always disappointed when I did comparisons to the digital version.  Instead of this huge performance, I got this small, flat, less dynamic sound and I pretty much gave up on the digital version.  It just didn’t take me where the vinyl version did emotionally.

I spent some time A/B-ing but having to adjust the volume as I switched.   At first, the vinyl version blew away the digital.  It still sounded thin, less full, less big.  Then I cranked the Audirvana volume all the way up, and found it closely matched the output from my turntable so that I could flip the source switch and have pretty well matched up volume between the two sources.

I was very pleasantly surprised that now the multi-dimensional soundstage was there, plus the dynamics and most important, the emotional involvement.   I might give a slight edge to the analog version.  Might.

I think the Uptone and Curious cable guys are on to something in computer based audio.  At least a far as USB goes.  

If I get some time today, I will do a few other comparisons where I have both the digital and vinyl version.  Most of my album buying ended in the 80s, so I don’t have a lot to compare.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #138 - 12/06/15 at 19:52:46

Palomino, thanks for your impressions on the curious cable. I'm been enamoured with my Regen for a few months now.  Would you say the improvement with the curious cable was more noticeable then when you first added the Regen?

I am so close to ordering one, but our CAD is so low right now, it will end costing me so much more that I still sitting on the fence.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #139 - 12/06/15 at 20:54:53

Not sure I can say for sure.  I think the regen added more but I'd have to go back and test to be sure.  The Curious adds more than the LPSU.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #140 - 12/07/15 at 19:20:31

Now I'm really starting to wonder if the curious cable before *and* after might help even further, or if we're hitting the "diminishing returns".

I don't want to be like those guys with Jitterbug, cable, Jitterbug, regen, cable jitterbug setups LOL

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #141 - 12/07/15 at 20:29:04

Yeah, might be hitting the point of diminishing returns.  John Darko said it brought some improvement, but it didn't sound like much.

They had me at regen.  But I am glad I went a little further.

Sorry I didn't get by this weekend.  Until my wife finds a dress to wear to this wedding, my life is on hold:).

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #142 - 12/10/15 at 17:10:13

I don't know if anybody cares to read about my regen adventures anymore but....

I had a wonderful listening experience last night in the audio cocoon.  I think the Curious cable has opened up some more and I fiddled with my Audirvana settings a little.

Rich, sophisticated, enveloping and engaging sound like I have never heard.  I'm not sure I can explain this well, but the echoes in the hall in the recording being heard in the same location in my room.  Like an echo off the high left rear corner of the hall being heard in the same location in my room.  You are in the soundstage.

I did notice, that when I shut down my digital rig a couple days ago, that it took some time for the magic to reappear. I don't know how long it took, but it was back in spades last night.

Anyway, good fun and good return on a modest investment.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #143 - 12/10/15 at 18:09:00

Oddly enough, I had a great listening session last night as well. Was waiting for the new girlfriend to come over, and I popped on Van Halen's first album, and it sounded simply amazing. Just a standard CD rip, nothing special, and I heard it like never before!

Maybe yesterday was a great night in the universe...less solar radiation hitting the ionosphere or something. LOL

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #144 - 12/10/15 at 18:21:01

Great listening night last night for me as well. Lucy was out on a "sister's night" (boy were my ears burning) and I spun lp after lp and was just deep in a zone of musical bliss.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #145 - 12/10/15 at 18:41:53

It's a new moon.  Not sure what that means, but it's the only event I could find on the web to explain it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #146 - 12/10/15 at 18:48:45

Or . . . we have great systems and we're letting ourselves enjoy them.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #147 - 12/10/15 at 21:14:29

Is it Environmental...or just Mental. LOL

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #148 - 12/17/15 at 21:38:05

There are some competing products coming out:

http://intona.eu/en/products

I researched one like this before buying the regen.  That one did not support high speed USB (so no hi def material).  This one seems to plug that hole.  More expensive than the regen ($258).

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #149 - 12/19/15 at 19:38:40

There's also the SOtM tX-USBhub:

http://www.sotm.sonore.us/SOtM3.html#1

IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print