Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 18:46:37 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
You all MUST check this out. USB Regen. (Read 10573 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: You all MUST check this out. USB Regen.
Reply #50 - 09/30/15 at 14:54:44

That's the LPSU I am using.

I think there is some dialogue around the ifi unit over on Computer Audiofile.  You'd have to wade through the listening impressions to find it.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #51 - 09/30/15 at 16:53:44

I'm considering getting that battery posted...I can't spend much, but I wouldn't mind squeezing some more improvement out of the system.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 09/30/15 at 17:47:37

Burried in the regen thread over on Computer Audiophile you can find some battery suggestions.  Most I saw were not very expensive.  Recharable 9 volt is fine and the regen doesn't seem to have big draw.  There are certain conditions when you can use 12v.

I also tuned back in to that "science thread" discussion of the regen that is posted above.  It has totally devolved into a sewer.  They can't get on the same page in terms of what they are even arguing about.  Somewhat entertaining, but very little new information being shared.

BTW, one of the Uptone Audio guys posted on the "science forum" what has been sold/returned.  Since it debuted this spring, he has sold around 1,700 and had 8 returned (.5%).  Mine is supposed to ship Oct 9.

Anyway, I will bring your regen this weekend and if we get a chance to use a USB based source we can see if the other festers think its all placebo.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #53 - 09/30/15 at 19:02:25

Yeah, I skimmed that thread for any of Superdad's posts and saw that.

That apparently isn't useful data. LOL

That whole thread is people telling me I'm delusional for hearing an improvement. I wasn't expecting any, being super skeptical of such devices - but I heard it, and Palomino heard it, and our notes were very similar - so we heard the same changes/improvements.

Just because I'm not a scientist and can't/don't know how to measure it, doesn't mean the changes are in my imagination.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 09/30/15 at 19:17:25

It would be one thing if they did what they thought were valid measurements and state their findings.

That would have left someone like me saying, 'hmmm, that test (if done correctly) didn't explain what I am hearing, maybe some other test is required."

Unfortunately, they didn't stop with an objective statement of findings.  They had to get the placebo "dig" in and that always leads to a discussion that ends up chasing its tail.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #55 - 09/30/15 at 19:47:05

I'm also seeing...I guess I'd call it reverse placebo. It's  "I don't see anything in the measurements, so I don't hear anything when listening. "

Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 09/30/15 at 22:25:21

So what do you think of doing double blind testing to clear up the "subtle but clear improvement" questions?
I'll have to admit I always "want" the things I've read about making improvements to actually be an improvement in my system.
Too many times I've read about some item, say a $1,500 USB cable making a "definite but subtle improvement in X, Y and Z". If I spend $1500 adding something to my system the last word I want to come to mind is subtle.
To me, subtle means that in a few days I likely won't even be able to recognize a difference and that I may have wasted my money.
Not an argument starter here but wondering what your thoughts are on nailing down improvement with testing.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 09/30/15 at 22:57:46

I think its great in concept, but very difficult and time consuming to do correctly.  I generally don't get that worked up about somebody disagreeing with me to go to the effort to prove them right or wrong.

Raven and I sometimes do the highly scientific "you first" test.  It's not even single blind.  We both know a change has been made.  But one of us has to go first in terms of describing what difference were heard.  Then the other (on his honor) states what he heard.  Generally, we hit on about 2/3 of the opinion.  He may hear something slightly different than me or vice versa.

Anything we both agree makes a positive difference is generally enough to consider a purchase.  We also do this at CDApS.  Rob and I heard the UFOs in his system and were both slack jawed enough that no conversation was even necessary.  A couple days later, he bought.  I am still contemplating my next move.  I'd like to hear them in a Rachael.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 10/01/15 at 01:36:08

Btw some of the negative threads on the regen suggest that all the positive comments serve to impact the opinions of those who read, buy and then post.   It feeds on itself.  An interesting idea.

So I made a point of inviting myself over to Ravens to hear it.  It wasn t until after our little session that I decided to buy it.  Did I subconsciously want to hear something so I "did?"  

Did I just need a little audio fix and this was low cost high benefit supposedly so I told myself that it worked?  All possible but it has lasted two weeks so far and I am excited about the prospect of the illusion continuing.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 10/01/15 at 17:55:20

I haven't tried the Regen, because I'm doubtful it will make an improvement on the SOtM USB audio card in my Auraliti
PK90(powered by a Linear PSU) and my DAC doesn't need to see the 5VDC buss power.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #60 - 10/01/15 at 18:12:30

Quote:
Btw some of the negative threads on the regen suggest that all the positive comments serve to impact the opinions of those who read, buy and then post.   It feeds on itself.  An interesting idea.

So I made a point of inviting myself over to Ravens to hear it.  It wasn t until after our little session that I decided to buy it.  Did I subconsciously want to hear something so I "did?"  

Did I just need a little audio fix and this was low cost high benefit supposedly so I told myself that it worked?  All possible but it has lasted two weeks so far and I am excited about the prospect of the illusion continuing.

And I was totally straight faced in all preceding conversations - never once did I let out that I was impressed with it and clearly heard an improvement. I'd just shrug and say  - you tell me.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 10/01/15 at 18:15:42

Plus when you are quiet it typically means you hear no change or don't like the change.  Way to mess with me.

On the SOtM card, I'm not sure I read anyone over at computer audiophile commenting on it and/or an improvement.  Maybe there is a reason for that.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 10/10/15 at 14:11:53

Paul McGowan of PS Audio weighed in on the regen:

While at RMAF I moved from the Jitterbug to the Uptone regen–a powered, fancier version of Jitterbug–this thing really works well, best I have yet heard.

The Regen is like the Power Plant of USB. It accepts USB data from the computer, places it into essentially a USB hub, then reclocks the data back out to the DAC. Why should this make anything better? Because computers as sources are noisy, jitter prone devices. Some DACs, like DirectStream, remove jitter fed into them–but that does not mean all jitter goes away. This is because DirectStream is still sensitive to power supply and noise issues, as Ted Smith discussed in yesterday’s post.  Well worth the read if you have a chance.

The Uptone Regen, highly recommended for any DAC.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #63 - 10/10/15 at 21:39:09

Well hopefully you'll return mine soon!

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 10/11/15 at 13:10:28

Today if you come over!  I got the green light.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #65 - 10/11/15 at 21:53:40

So I stopped by Palomino's today, and listened to his Torii III setup in his well treated, and fantastic sounding room. He popped my regen in one last time before I took it home.

Yeah, it's the real deal. The reverb in recordings sounded more focused, instruments a little more natural, imaging was a little sharper and soundstage a little wider. I also felt that tracks where the micro-detail sounded congested when they got loud or really busy, sounded sharper and less congested.

At this point, nobody is going to convince me this is placebo

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 10/12/15 at 00:11:52

You forgot to mention that this was a quasi-single-blind test environment.  Take that numbers guys!

Good talking with you.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 10/16/15 at 16:47:06

I was out all week at a conference in Vegas but when I got home, my regen had arrived.  

I wasn't expecting much given it would be cold and the amp was cold, but I was very pleasantly surprised that it sounded really, really good.  

The instruments now have more air around them and seem to float a little more 3D in the soundstage.  The music engulfed me more like a nice warm soft blanket but with more realistic detail.

I played the Chesky soundstage test track I have mentioned before and it was clearly the best I have heard it.  The key difference was that effect where the musicians go behind you is more convincing.

The only change versus my listening sessions with Eric's regen was that I brought home from the cottage one of my better DIY power cords to use with the LPSU for the regen.

I had also heard an improvement with Eric's regen when I did a PC swap before.  So twice now, I have heard an improvement as I moved up the chain in power cord quality.

Anyway, I can say pretty confidently that the LPSU really helps the regen and using a good power cord on the LPSU helps even more.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #68 - 10/20/15 at 15:02:31

I'm selling some gear this week - so I'll have a little money to put towards a better PSU.

Has there been one that really stands out as "best" for the Regen? Maybe I should just wait for Regen version II? Whenever that will be...

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 10/20/15 at 16:56:18

I think I have seen three flavors in the forums.  

Their high end JS2 at $925, the teradak like I have at about $70 and the "el cheapo" for around $60 that has a nice r-core transformer.  

I think the JS2 is better, but not sure I have read a review of the teradak vs the el cheapo.

Some people are waiting for their new PS.  Not sure of the release date.  I think November at the earliest.

IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 10/22/15 at 04:12:10

Hi,

I use DC battery as a power supply to USB Regen for cost saving of power cord. And the DC battery is much cheaper than LPS. As I read in forum, the sound quality improvement between LPS versus DC battery supply is not significant different.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-5V-9V-12V-3-in-1-DC-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-Pack...

s-l500.jpg

Audio Note DAC3.1 Custom modded to 4.1, DIY Duelund wire RCA IC, Offramp 5 USB SPDIF converter, Mac Mini, Amarra Symphony player,
Zen Mystery Amp. MIT Oracle speaker wire, Avalon Eidolon Diamond speakers. Coincident Statement preamp, Martin Logan Depth subwoofer
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 10/22/15 at 11:56:29

Looks pretty good.  9v setting as well.  How long do you get out of a charge?

IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 10/22/15 at 13:07:21

Hi

Just recharge one time a week. USB regen consume very little power.
Just to make sure that battery power is always strong.  

First get, the battery should be recharged for 24 hours even supplier did charge already

Audio Note DAC3.1 Custom modded to 4.1, DIY Duelund wire RCA IC, Offramp 5 USB SPDIF converter, Mac Mini, Amarra Symphony player,
Zen Mystery Amp. MIT Oracle speaker wire, Avalon Eidolon Diamond speakers. Coincident Statement preamp, Martin Logan Depth subwoofer
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 10/28/15 at 12:11:11

My Regen arrived last week and I finally had a chance to get it into the system this weekend.  The one track I listened to was "House of the Rising Sun" from the Opus 3 DSD sampler as I did a few comparisons.

1) Physically, the Regen was smaller than I was expecting based on the pictures.
2) I have it hooked up to my DAC with the small USB cord they provided.  I initially used the direct connection but like others have mentioned I didn't like how it put pressure on my USB input.  I didn't notice much difference between the two connections.  In my system, the short cord was good enough.  
3) When the Regen was connected I noticed blacker backgrounds, more focused imaging and more natural sounding instruments (cymbals/percussion).  Dynamics were very good and transients well defined.  I wouldn't describe these as small differences that you have to 'squint to see'.  
4) My initial sense was that I lost a little bit of depth to the soundstage.  The percussion rear/left of the SS didn't seem set as far back, but I may have been imagining this.
5) I also have a Jitterbug.  When I add this either in parallel or series, transients become less pronounced (softer) and the entire soundstage shifts back (increased depth).  I need to listen further to determine if this is something I like, particularly the softer transients.  The Jitterbug by itself is definitely less of a WOW vs. the Regen.

I have a modest computer setup and I am still navigating my way into computer audio.  MacBook Pro (battery) /SS HD/Audirvana Plus/Generic USB Cable.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 10/28/15 at 12:43:31

I think if you can get the short connector to work in your setup you'll see some gains in all areas over time.  My Dac is small so it barely fits.  I tried right angle connectors with terrible results.  Eric is trying to prop his up so it does not dangle.  

In general the sound got better after a few hours being powered up.

Power will also improve the sound.  Eric ordered one of those batteries recommended above and we will see how that does versus my linear power supply.

They talk a lot about still getting gains out of better usb cords.  I am using a Pangea Eric loaned me but might experiment a little there.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 10/28/15 at 17:37:07

Pal...sounds like I have a lot of room to improve.  What is encouraging is that I noticed a difference with the Regen right out of the box.

I didn't have a lot of time last weekend to listen, so hopefully I can squeeze in a few hours this weekend to solidify my observations.  I want to focus a little more on the Regen + Jitterbug.  My initial preference was Regen alone vs. the combination.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 10/28/15 at 18:36:07

Yes, most interested in your thoughts.  I think Eric bought a jitterbug so I might get to try before I buy once again.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 10/29/15 at 17:20:58

Does anyone notice a difference in volume with the Regen in the signal path?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 10/29/15 at 17:39:50

I don't recall hearing any difference in volume although it has been noted on CA.   They may have chalked it up to greatry clarity thus a perceived louder sound.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #79 - 10/30/15 at 22:07:08

I didn't notice any volume difference, but that said, we've heard an apparent volume difference when we've swapped from a $30 digital cable to a $350 digital cable. So *something* is going on there. I too would chalk it up to clarity and blacker background making it sound louder.

I have my regen in with the solid cord all the time now. It's drooping, but I'm going to cut a nice wood block for it to rest on. I did order that battery mentioned above, but it's coming on a slow boat from Hong Kong. I probalby could have made something in the mean time, but I figure I'll just be patient.

I didn't order a Jitterbug - they were sold out each time I looked to get one, and I'm kinda broke right now. Though it is my birthday in two weeks, so maybe I'll sell something to buy something. Crap, I need new tubes...I've plum wore-out my power tubes on the ZMA. Two years is way too long for me to be beating on them. I also have a preamp tube that's going. Time to offer to sweep floors and sling solder at Decware to afford a tube replacement!

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 10/30/15 at 22:54:33

For my birthday I bought some tweeters for my latest boombox build, some plugs for a power cord build and a decent soldering iron (finally).

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 10/31/15 at 02:47:13

I have been listening casually this evening...streaming Tidal via my computer.   The Regen seems to make Tidal less harsh.  More specifically, it seems to reduce glare/hash in the highs.  For reference, I am streaming Tidal via wireless, web browser only, without an audio shell (e.g. Amarra Tidal).  Prior to the Regen, Tidal was only tolerable for short durations and needed to be either turned down or off.  While not reference quality (yet), I can now listen to Tidal without fatigue.  Encouraging.        

This evening, my gut reaction to adding the Jitterbug is a slight loss of dynamics and transient detail.  This echoes my previous reaction when listening critically last weekend.

More to come...

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #82 - 10/31/15 at 19:37:30

Quote:
For my birthday I bought some tweeters for my latest boombox build, some plugs for a power cord build and a decent soldering iron (finally).

What soldering iron did you get??

I picked up some used batteries from work - nice rechargeable 6v bricks. I'm wondering if I can use them to power the regen. I need to figure out what the regen power range is. I'm not sure if my Li-On / NM-Hi battery charger can do these batteries though.

kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 10/31/15 at 23:37:03

Another Jitterbug review:

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/audioquest_jitterbug.htm

PS- even though I doubt the Regen will make an improvement on the SOtM USB audio card in my Auraliti PK90 (powered by a Linear PSU), I ordered one to try out.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 11/01/15 at 12:34:47

I just ordered a mid level one from parts express.  Nothing fancy.

I have my lpsu set at 6v right now.  I think the range is 6-12v. 12v only if your Dac does not use the 5v.  I think it beats the regen up too much stepping down from 12v to 5v.  

I have read about people with very good usb boards still getting a lift out of the regen.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 11/12/15 at 00:30:04

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #86 - 11/12/15 at 20:10:33

Interesting....his description of the improvements with the Curious cable sounds exactly like how I'd describe the USB Regen by itself (well, it's not by itself, it's got my Pangea silver cable and it's own short cable).

He seems to really like that Curious cable, and it makes me want to try it and see if it bests my inexpensive Pangea.

kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 11/12/15 at 20:32:29

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 11/12/15 at 20:33:41

If only you had an audio buddy who won a little money at the craps table... Wink

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 11/12/15 at 20:43:39

Also, per the stereophile measurements, he's the second person to observe no difference via measurements in the analogue outputs on the DAC.  

Given that literally thousands of people hear a difference, me thinks they are not measuring what is causing the reported difference.

Or maybe this is similar to how so many people report seeing bigfoot and describing the creature in a similar fashion.  Or describe aliens.

Anyway, I will continue to enjoy hearing what can't be measured.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #90 - 11/12/15 at 22:34:51

I think it's now more than two that have measured no differences at this point.
The main issue I have with saying,
Quote:
me thinks they are not measuring what is causing the reported difference

is that I have reviewed the internet postings on this and the people making the measurements are no slouches when it comes to describing what they are measuring and how they are doing the measurement.
Plus, the designer, for all his complaining about the measurement folks, has not been able to refute the measured results or produce any measurements himself as evidence that all the glossy theory claims he has on paper are any more than just fluff.
However, I will go along with,
Quote:
Anyway, I will continue to enjoy hearing what can't be measured.

as completely sane and reasonable for an audiophile.  :)

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 11/12/15 at 23:24:16

Not much sanity in this hobby Grin

I think uptone didn't help themselves when they said they would measure then they didn't.  Then they said that it would take expensive test equipment with lower jitter than the DAC.  I'll try to find the link.

I doubt there are tests that could show how decware amps do what they do but here I am.  Imaging for example?  Air?  Dimensionality?  Size of soundstage?  What electrical test can measure that?  I suppose you can measure noise and odd/even harmonics and deduce from those measures that you can achieve some of those attributes in their presence or absence.  

Until such measurements come about I will stick to my ears backed up by the high-precision lonely Raven and/or Proggrob test.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 11/13/15 at 01:01:53

Unfortunately, there are few very measurements that correlate with consumer acceptance in this hobby.  Very few, if any, manufacturers would have the resources to execute designed experiments to develop the technical/consumer models.  The system to be modeled is extremely complex.  Modeling a single component would be complicated, never mind how the components interact with each other and the room. New measurement methods take a lot of time and resources to develop.

There are consumer segments in this hobby.  Those that rely on measurements and those that rely on their ears.  It's purely art for some, technical for others.  Fortunately, there appears to be a segment that have found a balance.  

At the end of the day, I hope everyone is enjoying music.  Music is a form of storytelling and that's what engages us as human beings.  I think most of us are trying to hear the story a little more clearly.  Decware works for me and so does the Regen, but this audio world is complex.

Enjoy!

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 11/13/15 at 02:46:07

"Measuring the signal integrity of the USB signal is something fairly easy to do with a 3–4GHz scope and an eye-pattern test. Jitter measurements are a lot harder[;] at the exceedingly low level we are looking at[,] it takes some rather expensive test equipment."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/uptone-audio-usb-regen-manufacturers-comment#...

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 11/13/15 at 12:03:59

Yes, that's the comment I was thinking of.  Thanks kana.

As I alluded to above, I did buy a short curious cable pigtail USB cord to experiment with.  I think I can test it before and after the regen.

Last night, I did switch around power cords - not on the regen, but on the mac mini (AC5) and the DAC LPSU (original synergistic research).  I lost a little soundstage and air, but gained focus.

I did notice at Decfest where I brought my three best power cords, that a better power cord on the regen LPSU made a difference.

I will have more time to play with it this weekend.  I am heading to the cottage in Michigan where the power is ultra clean.  Only 2 neighbors within a mile that are up there full time during the colder months.  Rachael amp instead of the Torii, but I'll still look for the right power cord combo.  I take my mobile Mac/DAC stack and power cords with me.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 11/13/15 at 16:05:42

Quote:
Measuring the signal integrity of the USB signal is something fairly easy to do with a 3–4GHz scope and an eye-pattern test. Jitter measurements are a lot harder[;] at the exceedingly low level we are looking at[,] it takes some rather expensive test equipment.

Again, why make all these detailed claims then explain why you can't prove it with this lame excuse?
Lots of independent test labs out there that can do it and you don't have to buy the equipment.
I've been designing electronic equipment for 30+ years and no company I ever worked for has been able to (or needed to) afford all the equipment required to test some parameter we needed to meet.
I say again, just say it sounds better if it does.
Audiophiles will follow that and try it.
At this point I would say they have sold enough to be able to afford to have an independent lab do the testing if they really wanted to.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 11/13/15 at 18:29:12

There is a great thread going on over at what's best if you are interested in debating this.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 11/13/15 at 19:40:16

Core32,

Great post!

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 11/13/15 at 22:42:56

Pal,
I been observing that site for quite some time, even made a comment or two, and that's what set me off a bit here.  :)

I think my post here is getting a bit off the topic so I am going to drop it now that I've said my peace.
You should enjoy listening to whatever if it sounds good.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 11/14/15 at 00:04:30

As should you!

I am curious though.  Have you had an opportunity to hear the regen?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print