Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 05:54:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
UFO MOD & BIAS MOD for SE34I's (Read 26761 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

UFO MOD & BIAS MOD for SE34I's
05/13/15 at 17:41:10

Available now.

The UFO upgrade for the SE34I is $400. It involves two new transformers, new mounting holes as well as a switch to change between 4 and 8 ohms!

Additionally there is an BIAS MOD for the amp as well.  It involves an upgraded bias supply for the output tubes that will mill the tubes up to around 48 mA. The mod also includes relocating the bias meters in the circuit closer to ground which improves the sound.  Cost $100

Either mods are well worth it and make a more than noticeable improvement to an already great amplifier.

Anyone wanting to get in on this can send their amp in using the RA form located here.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/service.html

Turn around time will of course be somewhat dependent on our current stock of UFO transformers, but on average the amp will spend a week here.  The BIAS mod is not reliant on stock so a week or less for that.

Presently all new SE34I.4 amplifiers come standard with the BIAS MOD and offer the UFO output transformers as an option in the shopping cart.  This is while we still have inventory of the original SE34I transformers.  Once we run out, the price of the SE34I will be raised and the UFO transformers will become standard.

Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: UFO MOD & BIAS MOD for SE34I's
Reply #1 - 05/16/15 at 04:27:20

Do either of these mods have an effect on power output, or tube life?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #2 - 05/16/15 at 15:04:15

I would love to see a photo of a modified Rachael and hear some comments from owners as this progresses. Question for Steve, what are we looking at in terms of re-breaking in our beloved Decware amps? Ours is now into month #7 and is good on turn on, great at about 45 minutes and into the Holy Crap This is AMAZING thing after dinner and 2 glasses…Do the new trannies take a similar amount of time to season? The thought of sending her off for upgrade is akin to sending my last daughter off to school….

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 05/16/15 at 16:03:42

Your daughters name is Rachel?

But seriously, break in is not something that I have considered, since my Rachel amp was well broken in when I got it. I am trying not to have a knee jerk reaction about this upgrade. On the other hand, it would be great to get to hear this development, as I have always wondered what the possibilities would be using as much high quality wiring from stem to stern.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #4 - 05/16/15 at 21:18:09

4k- Actually Laura…one of the great things in my mind (that should raise questions right away) is that the Decware/Omega music system is SO musical I have gotten off the lust/want/obsessing band wagon that I had when I had the other gear. I know that something can always be better, and I will do some upgrades but the basic building blocks are so dam good as it is I don't want to futz with it. Although I could sent Rachael to Steve's when we are in Kauai and I wouldn't even miss her….Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/16/15 at 22:24:24

lol I even downloaded the upgrade form, got two boxes out of the cupboard, brought a Rachael down only to find the boxes were for the CSP and ZP3.
Thats major for me....new boxes. I`ll end up walking round the backs of shops seeing if I can find ones the right size.
Excuses excuses, the Rachaels are giggling at me while they`re playing beautiful music again.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 05/16/15 at 22:49:06

Guys guys, let's be rachenal, er rational here! There is no cause for alarm. Your amps are a beautiful thing already, pack, pack pack. Think this move over before you do it, tape tape tape....I mean it doesn't mean that first is best   address/stamp/drop off.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/31/15 at 15:29:38

If we get the BIAS mod is it possible to have older Rachel units get the resistor mod that was needed to make the tubes match bias independently of one another? Or is this covered in this new BIAS MOD?

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/06/15 at 21:02:09

Does this mean kt88 is a more viable option now? I've been reading folks going down to 43mA with no advisers effects but what would they bias out to in this circuit?

Can we keep the old transformers?

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 06/07/15 at 19:58:33

I'm betting that Steve would want to keep the old transformers.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/10/15 at 05:47:11

There are only (2) capacitors in this circuit correct? One on each channel. No place to stick some Jupiter 600v .47uF I bought by mistake!?

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/11/15 at 10:59:00

Lots of room for the jupiters.
That is, if these are the big ones.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1395085426

They replace small wimar(?) caps.
The difference in sound in my ZP3 & CSP2+ was excellent.
I have a flat pack box site bookmarked. Means I`ll have to buy 5 boxes but so it goes. In fact I`ll order the boxes right now. One step closer.  :)

Done

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/11/15 at 11:02:22

I already have VCAPS in mine, just looking for a home for these extra Jupiter copper foil.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 06/11/15 at 11:12:59

Oh I see. Small value run in parallel just adds the two values together but you get the benefits of both. You should be able to get them in piggyback. I`m saying that but of course I`m guessing, the V-Caps are big.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 06/11/15 at 11:14:21

Anyone know what value the caps are used in Rachel?

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 07/02/15 at 05:42:39

I'm sending mine in for the UFO and bias mod

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 07/17/15 at 02:10:21

Ok, so you are 'the one'. You will be responsible for telling us the story (before and after) and what it means. You have no idea how tempting this is, yet, I might be one of the exceptions who first has the bias mod done and then the tranny swap at a later date.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 07/17/15 at 21:31:42

A lot of weight on your shoulders here hifi.  Inquiring minds with twitchy wallets want to know.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 08/08/15 at 15:52:18

Sent it in 1 month ago, no word yet. summertime.

Still wondering if KT88 would now bias better and be more viable. Maybe I should pick up a pair? Anyone have a set I can try?

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 08/13/15 at 06:20:14

under construction now...stay tuned

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 09/10/15 at 11:27:15

She's bbbbbbbbbbbbback.

Left it running at home after lunch with wife doing some cooking. I used all new tubes from Upscale Audio as Steve said I had an output tube short and included a bad resistor in box. Confused about that as I used the amp no problem right until shipping.

Anyway, they biased up nicely with bias mod and the UFOs sound good out of the box.

I replaced Tesla EL34 NOS + Pope Amperex 7DJ8 with SED Winged C + Tesla 6922 NOS.

I may roll back the Pope. My weekend starts here in 3 hours so I plan to listen a lot. Stay tuned.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 09/10/15 at 19:52:17

OK, I will be checking back on Monday...

I will get to hear a Zen UFO on the 20th at the next CDApS meeting at Progrob's house.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
bvictor
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 10/18/15 at 01:57:17

Hifi-  What's your evaluation of the UFO and bias mods??  Is it worth the $500??

DECWARE: SE34I.2, HDTs; CSP2, TABOO, Zen Styx, RL 1.5s; Mystery Amp, ZDAC-1, Klipsch KLF-30s; Bridged Raches with Klipsch Forte IIs and Monoliths
  IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 10/19/15 at 06:31:41

I've done quite a few changes in my system at the same time, but I would say yes. The bias mod alone has,I think, given me more headroom on the amp. I have noticed higher volume levels don't make the meters bounce as they did before.

At this time my new Jupiter caps in speaker passive crossover are burned in, and I have two new power cords in all week. I will run through my reference playlist this weekend.

If anything I am noticing more speed and clarity if that makes sense. More bass, more full.

My system:

Win10 + JRMC21 + Adnaco S3B fiber-over-USB (battery power) (Uptone Regen inbound)
Auralic Vega
Tortuga Audio LDR
Rachel 2.1 with UFO and Bias mod (VCAPS)
Zu Union Cubes (Jupiter Caps) + Omega Deep Hemp sub

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #24 - 02/26/16 at 02:26:39

Rachel sent in for UFO & bias surgery. Will confess all when she returns.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #25 - 03/15/16 at 02:46:02

Yeow! So, read all about it (Rachel returned today) at the tweaking the 34.5 um well you know what I mean. That other thread where I am talking about tweeking the Rachel...pun intended.

"Ground control to Maj. Thom"

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #26 - 03/24/16 at 19:10:05

I wrote a piece yesterday on this thread, only to have it all erased because of technical difficulties. Technology pisses me off in a regular manner, so it wasn't until now that I decided to try again. This time I will keep it short and to the point. What I like about the new sound has to do with the decay of notes/music. Steve suggests that this due to the greater resolution that the transformers have. Now of course, it is up to me to pick some tubes that I might like best. I ran GE 6DJ8 tubes for awhile, but they won't my favorite tube. Now I am trying original stock AR 6DJ8 tubes and find them to have an honest sound. I will try others just because I have on hand, so stay tuned. One thing to note is that EVERYTHING now makes a difference, And I am more careful as to my choices. In the end, this sound suits me quite well, and I imagine that most people would agree.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #27 - 04/08/16 at 22:26:04

This will be the last post for awhile. In general, the Rachel is somehow getting even better bass, and other improvements are happening as well. I don't listen often enough to put many miles on her, so the effect of new components takes even longer in my system. It's clear to see with the bias meters that things are running closer to the edge, and I feel that is where the best sound lies. It may be a slim listening opportunity just ahead with construction coming closer to happening in the listening room, but when done there will be a lot to work with.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #28 - 05/06/16 at 01:26:36

New flooring has been completed in my listening room and no doubt the sound changed considerably. I am happy to report that I am enjoying the new sound more than I would have thought. I have always have had carpeted listening rooms and that made sense. This room now has a double thick wood floor (New floor over old floor). As expected, the sound is more live than before. The upgraded Rachel is a wonderful match for the acoustics. As I have mentioned before, the new amp is still breaking in and the sound continues to impress me. I wouldn't go back even to compare.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #29 - 07/06/16 at 01:35:17

Guys, this mod was a great idea for me to follow through with. I am now using Bugle Boy tubes for the input, and Ruby EL34 output tubes, along with a ValveArt 274B rectifier tube. Things won't likely change for some time, as I couldn't imagine being happier with these results. FWIW, I previously replaced the selector switch with a Gold Point switch, and each mono volume control with a TDK volume control for each channel, in case you all don't remember. I did other things too, but these were the best choices that I had made before the upgrade. Now, I kinda hope that my OCCD doesn't kick in and try to 'improve things'! This is as good as it gets. Honestly though, if I were a bit richer, the Torii Jr. would a very tempting piece to own as well (no, Rachel has a permanent home, but maybe a big brother would be nice).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print