Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 06:48:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Upgrading path choices (Read 27633 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Upgrading path choices
05/05/15 at 12:52:19

If you had to choose only one from any of these exact scenarios, which one would you pick and why, assuming you had my current system (as listed in the signature) to start with?

1. Order the Super Zen with UFO Mods and Beeswax Caps plus Volume attenuator. Order a ZBIT and XLR IC's. Upgrade the DAC to a balanced, top-of-the-line Audio Gd NFB 7 (Sabre 9018 chip). Cost: USD 3,500.00

2. Order the Torii MKIV with UFO Mods (when these are offered, Beeswax Caps are std). Cost: USD 3,800.00 (est)

3.  Order the Torii Junior (Ultralinear, UFO Mods and Beeswax Caps Std). Cost: USD 2,350.00 (est)

4. Order a Yggdrasil, ZBIT, XLR IC's and beef up the Mini Torii with UFO Mods and Beeswax Caps, plus two volume attenuators. Cost: USD 3,750.00

Of course, on top of those estimated costs, there's a mark-up of about 33% (or more) for customs / shipping and handling all the way down here.

Thanks for any constructive opinions. I'm way serious about this.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Upgrading path choices
Reply #1 - 05/05/15 at 13:31:51

I'd say option 4. You love your Mini-Torii, it's well seasoned, beefing it up to be all it can be makes sense. And though that DAC wouldn't be my choice, getting the best DAC you can in front of the best the amp can be will be a great recipe for overall sound. You can tube roll the amp if needed to tailor the DAC and then sit back and relax into a world of music. In time you can upgrade cabling, and other icings on the cake.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/05/15 at 14:26:06

What aspects are you looking to improve upon?  What is it about your current sound that you find lacking?

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #3 - 05/05/15 at 21:00:58

Lon,

Very sensible argument, thank you. I'll consider the suggestion. My only doubt is the slightly lesser resolution levels of the Mini Torii vs other more resolving amps, whether due to congested topology (too many tubes) or the nature of the 6V6. I may be wrong, though.

seikosha,

Hard to say ... I don't have a live reference to go about, but there are aspects of my current sound that I would like to improve, although its difficult to describe in words.

Its easier to list the typical variables: soundstage, transparency, frequency separation, dynamics, etc. I think I miss microdetail and soundstage, the most. Sometimes I feel there's more to the recording material than I get. As if some kind of veil or a darker tone covers the overall presentation. It does not happen usually in the midrange but in the frequencies right above and below those. Bass could also be better. My SUB helps tremendously but without the texture and realism of a live presentation.

Some more presence would also be fine, whether due to enhanced realism or pure oomph, I frankly don't know. My current SPL is quite enough and the volume reserve is plentiful, yet it could be livelier. I'm just guessing here, as I don't compare it to anything else in real terms, I just feel the defficiencies.

I'm in the middle of re-conditioning my room with the acquisition of some diffussors, which may help clarify these issues and even underline them, who knows.

Thanks

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/05/15 at 21:18:01

Hold out for the 6c33c mono blocks to at least find out where they are going to fall price wise within Steve's lineup.  My guess is they are going to fall in somewhere between a well optioned Rachel and a Torii MK IV.  You will have all of the benefits of the Super Zen SET greatness, plus extra muscle if you ever want to play with other speakers.  If they are pure mono blocks without line level inputs then also add the ZSB or a preamp of your choice, or a source of your choice that has a volume control.

The Yggy DAC sounds like it's going to be something special.  But also consider that reports from our forum users are stating that the ZDSD is comparing favorably to PS Audio's DS and the PSA DS is pretty great DAC IMO.  So with the ZDSD we're talking about getting in the area of a $5999 DAC for $1695.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #5 - 05/05/15 at 21:59:41

beowulf,

Good points. I thought the Mono's would be too expensive, as everything has to be doubled (chassis, etc.) Also, those are not yet out of the woods, meaning these could be discarded due to some kind of unfeasibility. We'd need to wait and see.

The Yggy is a big question mark, I admit. Chances are, though, it is going to be a breakthrough. In place of the Yggy, you can add any other Super Dupper DAC, but within reason. For example, PS Audio's DS is way out of my reach. Instead, I would go for the Audio Gd Master 7 (in case the Yggy is not what it is expected to be in the first few serious reviews), a very proven top class device (just as expensive as the Yggdrasil), or even a BMC PureDac (although I prefer the Master 7 to this one). But, the basic concept behind this scenario is the same. Thanks!

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #6 - 05/06/15 at 02:18:39

I'm with Lon, Option 4 all the way.  It's a sure-fire upgrade.  Options 2 or 3 are like trying to pick between Gala and Fuji apples; one might be better but in the end who cares.  Option 1 is better than 2 or 3, but in that case I think you're changing too many things.  I assure you your amp is transparent enough to give you all the glory of the Yggy or top of line A-gd.

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #7 - 05/06/15 at 13:10:47

ProggRob,

I assure you your amp is transparent enough to give you all the glory of the Yggy or top of line A-gd.

This is something I've been secretly hoping for, but cannot convince myself about it yet. I'll explain:

Steve has said (not literal quotes but same meaning) ... "the Torii models (MKIII or MKIV) are more resolving, the Mini Torii is more musical and forgiving" Another of his quotes: ... the Mini Torii is slightly less revealing due to the more congested topography, relative to the Rachael"

In a world of unavoidable tradeoffs, the Mini Torii brings many good things to the table (I know, I just love it), but transparency is not at the highest available in the Decware line (i.e., Torii, Super Zen). This is probably why it is not the most popular amp out there as its features are less on demand. It is, though, a jack of all trades and has enough of everything there.

In my particular context (biased as it may be), I miss some more transparency and frequency separation. This may be overcome by a top DAC, no doubt, but it would be easier if the amp helped more.

All this argument is to say I still doubt your observation holds: It may be that the MIni Torii hinders the top performance of a true class A DAC. Just my humble opinion, I may be wrong, of course.

In every other aspect, I fully agree with your scenario 4 pick and the reasoning behind your choice. Thanks for your feedback!

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/06/15 at 13:42:04

Owning both a Mini Torii and a Zen, I can promise you that with my Omega single drivers, the two amps sound very different.  If transparency and life and microdynamics are what you are looking for, you'll find it with the Zen which also provides for me more focussed imaging as well.  It's the classic front vs. back of the hall sound comparison.

Compared to the Zen, the M.T. sounds syrupy and slow.  The Mini Torii does provide an upper bass slam or "hit" as Steve likes to say that you may or may not miss with the Zen but oddly enough, in absolute terms, the Zen actually sounds like it goes lower into the deep registers and yes, the M.T. does sound more powerful.

I still rotate both amps in and out of the system and can enjoy them both for what they are.

Unless you really like to listen to your music loud, I'd think about picking up a used Zen.  It'd be the cheapest way for you to make a change based on all your above scenarios.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 05/06/15 at 13:50:30

I see your point. I personaly live happily a bit back from "totally reolving"--I tune back from totally revealing as much of my source material isn't up to that level of scrutiny. I have found that having an excellent front end (digital or analog) is still a benefit, giving you all you need and then working from there with tubes and treatments and cabling to find the musical balance between ruthless detail and a musical "forgiveness." When I went from a Select to SE34 Monoblocks and then a Rachel (sort of, earlier model) I really enjoyed that little bit of forgiveness, allowed me to move further away from "hearling the hardware and analyzing the sound" to relaxing into the music. With the Toriis I have a bit more of that resolution, and I tune to enhance or limit it to find that balance again.

I have a Zen amp in use too, and I enjoy the sound a lot. . .but I prefer the presentation of the Monoblocks, Rachel and Toriis, fuller and for me more realisitc, musical, integrated. Two views of a seret I guess. . . I prefer the less microscopic, more macroscopic of the two.

So I think 4. could work for ME and that the Mini-Torii would have far more than "enough" resolution to get the job done. Perhaps that wouldn't work for you, but perhaps it WOULD if you love the Mini-Torii and the truth of the matter is that if you follow 4. you could always upgrade the amp in the future and have the front end to feed it. Or not.

Just my thinking, good luck with your assessment. . . you do things differently than I do but it's a nice list of options you put together to consider.

In a more meandering fashion I've found my bliss. The last piece were the (admittedly expensive even at half price) interconnects that I ice the cake on. Everything sounds like music to me now and I have spent more time not paying attention to my system and "sound" than is usual and that was in part my goal. The enjoyment of the playback is deep. That's the bigger part of my goal.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #10 - 05/06/15 at 13:54:46

seikosha,

Thanks for your very valuable thoughts (as usual). Good points and nothing like a first-hand comparison experience to shed some light into my monofocal world of sound. Tradeoffs ... tradeoffs  ...

If you have not yet done it (probably), your statements take on even more weight when the Super Zen is upgraded with the UFO trannies Mod. It should be even better ... So the Mini Torii though, but still less resolving indeed.

I need to really think about this scenario 1 vs scenario 4 (2 & 3 are, like stated by ProggRob, inmaterial in a closed, small listening room, at normal volume levels and with my particular upgrade objectives).

Any other opinions, please? This inquiry has started to converge now ...Thanks!

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 05/06/15 at 14:00:25

Fireblade, I actually have a UFO Zen being built right now.  I'm hoping to have it in a week.  I'm dying to see how it compares to my standard Zen.  I'll post my experiences with it once it arrives.

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/06/15 at 14:08:05

Lon, I've always wondered why you never pursued a Mini Torii.  It's definitely got a soft sound and also a treble cut circuit.  Two things that you seem to enjoy.  I know in the past, you've stated that you don't like the tube set that the Mini Torii uses.  What specifically was it about the M.T.'s tube characteristics that kept you away from it?

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 05/06/15 at 14:10:48

Fireblade,

Never easy choices trying to figure out where the weak link is. Before Decware came into my life I tried multiple sources with no big differences. Then I purchased my Zen Select and I was like WOW, I hear this. This allowed me to hear the Subtle differences between source components.

The only other really big WOW moment I've experienced since is with my recent purchase of the Omega Super 6 Monitor's (single driver). I was really not prepared for the Detail, Transparency and Cohesion of Sound-stage. It really is amazing how Big and Seamless the Sound-stage is with the Omega single driver.

Although the Omega 6 Monitors are rated at 93db they play plenty loud  and Just blow my Klipsch RF-7's (8 ohm, 102db) out of the water. Counter to all Logic they play almost as loud as the Klipsch but the music quality is so much more Open & Engaging. CD's I rarely listened to in the past are now some of my favorites.

My Omega purchase was really an experiment on my part. I was fully prepared to be disappointed. I didn't expect my Super Zen to drive them loud enough. I fully expected that a single driver would have Strengths yet obvious Weaknesses. Certainly they would not live up to all the Hype being posted over on the Omega site. I was wrong on all counts. After two months I'm still not believing how the Omega's do everything So Right.

My Klipsch are not bad speakers, I had them for 10 years. I had been to Decware three times over that period heard all their amp / speaker combos and they were all great but nothing I could not live without compared to the Klipsch. I know the Lore's get good reviews but wonder if they are as capable as the Omega 7 or Omega 6?

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/06/15 at 14:17:00

I'd go for #1 myself, but this is based on hearing balanced Zen on ProgRobb's rig.  Also I think your speakers will play well with it.  

I only rule out #4 only because I have never heard the mini-Torii.  Could sound very good with that Schitt.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 05/06/15 at 14:21:58

Quote:
seikosha wrote:

Owning both a Mini Torii and a Zen, I can promise you that with my Omega single drivers, the two amps sound very different.  If transparency and life and microdynamics are what you are looking for, you'll find it with the Zen which also provides for me more focussed imaging as well.  It's the classic front vs. back of the hall sound comparison.

Compared to the Zen, the M.T. sounds syrupy and slow.  The Mini Torii does provide an upper bass slam or "hit" as Steve likes to say that you may or may not miss with the Zen but oddly enough, in absolute terms, the Zen actually sounds like it goes lower into the deep registers and yes, the M.T. does sound more powerful.

I still rotate both amps in and out of the system and can enjoy them both for what they are.

Unless you really like to listen to your music loud, I'd think about picking up a used Zen.  It'd be the cheapest way for you to make a change based on all your above scenarios.

Fireblade; seikosha has personal experience with both amps on Omega single driver speakers which is good enough for me. I've never used the MT but I concur fully with seikosha regarding the Super Zen Omega combo.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 05/06/15 at 14:22:58

seikosha,
To be honest it was apples and oranges because all my tube use that I wasn't that crazy about was in guitar amps. so it's not an informed opinion, and I've never heard the amp.

And it's small. I kept moving up to large amps and I have gotten so used to the size of the Toriis. A superficial reason that was a minor inhibitor. I never was attracted to the physical look of the amp.

The real reasons are more practical: I had found the Torii then and it was a big committment and I was in the process of tailoring my system to that. And I had moved my system into my then big living-room/dining-room area and the Torii had the power I needed for this set up. Since then I'm back into a smaller room, but I'm a few monts away from an even bigger room, so the Torii is the best fit for me, and with the tube complements I've found (LOVE KT-66 in these amps, and the particular regulators and rectifiers i'm using are just so right) and the controls (I've found that the bass control is as important and as incredibly useful as the treble cut circuit) I've found the right balance for my source material and listening.

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #17 - 05/06/15 at 15:02:37

Fireblade - I was not wanting to coerce you into a new amp, however, understanding your preferences and hearing Steve's feedback on the MT (least resolving of the Decware amps?), pushes me to Option #1.  The drawback of course is that you'll have to re-season an amp, but after executing the requisite 5 hr on/off cycles and a couple weeks of play time, it'll be perfect.  You may even be surprised at what you hear with your existing DAC after replacing the amp.      

Did you know you can order balanced inputs on the Zen?  You wouldn't need the converter or the extra pair of interconnects.  Shorter signal path = better sound.

The Zen is the best amp I've heard in my system.  There are some things it can't do when compared to the ZMA, but as I've mentioned elsewhere, even having witnessed the Zen's comparative shortcomings, I still don't mind.  It does the "transparency thing" better than any other amp I've heard.  

I will be sending mine in soon for the UFO upgrades; I really can't imagine what level it will be taken to.  

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #18 - 05/06/15 at 15:21:20

Quote:
The Zen is the best amp I've heard in my system.  There are some things it can't do when compared to the ZMA, but as I've mentioned elsewhere, even having witnessed the Zen's comparative shortcomings, I still don't mind.  It does the "transparency thing" better than any other amp I've heard.  

I agree with this 100% - especially after hearing my ZMA in Rob's setup. The ZMA has so much going for it, but it's like a sledgehammer compared  to the little Zen's accuracy.

I'm hoping Steve's future monoblocks can bridge that divide between the the ZMA's consistent Godzilla like grunt, and the little Zen's transparency and accuracy.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 05/06/15 at 16:03:22

Quote:
ProggRob wrote:

Quote:
LR wrote:

I agree with this 100% - especially after hearing my ZMA in Rob's setup. The ZMA has so much going for it, but it's like a sledgehammer compared  to the little Zen's accuracy.

I'm glad to see the Super Zen get some well deserved Love here. I've stated in the past that it's only weakness in my mind is Slam on the Low End for Classic Rock. In my case using Mid Bass Modules to reinforce Bass from 150hz and down completely resolves that issue.

When I compare my Super Zen with Mid Bass Modules to my Peachtree 220se (220 watts) with Mid Bass Modules they are a dead heat in Low End Slam. The Super Zen Combo will play to the edge of almost too loud. The Peachtree combo will play louder but louder than almost too loud is not all that practical.

Comparing the Super Zen with Mid Bass Modules to the Peachtree without Mid Bass Modules is no contest. The Super Zen combo wins Hands Down in the Low End Dynamics department.

Hsu is discontinuing the Mid Bass Module. The Omega DeepOmega Sub however has similar capabilities and is capable of playing into the 150hz range cleanly. The DeepOmega Sub appears to have a higher quality cabinet construction.

I realize setting the Sub crossover at 150hz when the Mains are capable of playing down to 50hz does not follow conventional wisdom. But then the Mid Bass Module and DeepOmega are not conventional Subs and are specifically designed to go higher. This adds a lot of POP to Drums and Lifts Individual Bass notes to the Surface.

You can get into a Super Zen Amp and DeepOmega 12 Sub for about $2,500. I've heard the Torri MK3 twice at Decware and it is a fine amp. I still don't think it beats the combination I have. Those with different musical tastes will undoubtedly have a different opinion.

DBC   IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #20 - 05/06/15 at 16:40:56

DBC - I am also glad to see the amp get some attention!  Like you, I have augmented bass but it does not reach up to 150hz.  I cross over around 50hz with a 24/db/octave slope.  I've tried to run higher (80-120hz crossover point) but didn't have success; it sounded a bit muddled to me.  If you can successfully do so with the MBM, never let it go!

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #21 - 05/06/15 at 18:42:05

Glad to see this topic stirring up so much valuable discussion and information. This forum sure has a significant collective knowledge in Decware gear and related topics which makes it hard to beat for any genuinely interested parties.

My smallish listening room is definitely a requirement in limiting the amp wattage to allow for SET-type magic tradeoffs. Nevertheless, I know by Steve's comments the Torii models are also quite revealing. I think the Mini Torii tries to do too many things well but cannot excel at any. Jack of all trades, indeed.

Presently, only Steve knows how much the Mini Torii can improve under the UFO Mod and Beeswax Caps plus step attenuators from the original version, so I cannot estimate that, which makes it a difficult expected scenario to assess. I know Steve holds the balanced DAC plus beefing up the Mini are better options relative to getting a larger amp.

Comments on the Deep Omega 8" and 12" versions are appealing, but I need to figure the foundation of the upgrade first. If the new configuration is successful, bass will be improved tangibly and my 8" Velodyne is no slouch either. I connect it via the line level inputs and crossover it at 55 Hz. This provides in my case the best combination, since as has been stated here, the Mini Torii may be too warm an amp to allow for higher cross overs as it tends to mask micro detail and nuances in my setting.

I think the apparent solution is converging to this:

SET-like amp fed by world class DAC in balanced configuration.

I like scenario 4 because it allows me to see what are the real limits on the Mini Torii and I would not have to go over the longish burn in of a new amp, plus I would hate to end up storing it in the closet. This scenario also allows for more investment towards that best of breed DAC requirement.

The question is, very good DAC plus Best of Breed SET amp (scenario 1),  or Best of Breed DAC with very good amp (scenario 4). Right now, I may be inclined for the latter ... I may be wrong.

Thanks for the heads up on having a Super Zen already accepting XLR (balanced) inputs. One of my worries all along has been the extra clogging on the signal path, although I trust Steve's judgement here. I wonder if the Mini Torii could accomodate a similar solution, although it is such a busy chassis I doubt there's room for that ...  Steve?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 05/06/15 at 19:39:17

Fireblade - ""the Torii models (MKIII or MKIV) are more resolving, the Mini Torii is more musical and forgiving" Another of his quotes: ... the Mini Torii is slightly less revealing due to the more congested topography, relative to the Rachael""

Mini Torii from Steve's writeup: "If you've experienced both good single-ended and good push-pull you know the push-pull typically has more hit and authority in the low end. On the flip side, single ended amps have a transparency and midrange to die for so we're always left wanting both. The Mini Torii SE, thanks in part to the tube regulated input stage has a signature and a hit that makes you think your listening to a much larger amplifier, making classic and hard rock sound good despite being heard on a small single ended amp - rare. "

FB,

From the super-simple design of, and common experience of forum members with Zens, I have little doubt you would realize a shift toward greater transparency with a Zen. Also, you would sacrifice flexibility in tubes, adjustments, and loose some power. Also, I think you have explored tubes a fair bit with your Mini, and have modified Steve's signature this way, as well as tuning with room, speakers, cables, power etc.

Unlike you, I need the Torii's power in my rooms and with my speakers. But if I had accepted the Torii III or IV "out of the box" I would not have nearly the resolution and transparency, or the "just right" definition of body and bass that I have. I have made my amps notably more resolving with room, tubes, power, feet, and cables, and without abandoning sweetness.

And as you suggest in your options, I have also made the Toriis much more resolving with front end...DAC and computer...and treatments on them, power, software, feet, cables, USB power, etc.

I think your coming room treatments (diffusion), once sorted, will help your clarity of presentation and soundstage. In this context, if like my experience, (and it sounds like your perceptions relative to your sub) if you have some excess low end body/weight (even slight muddle) masking detail, and the upper mids/highs in balance, you likely have more resolution than you are hearing. If the low end is "filling in" a bit too much, suppressing the midrange/detail balance...the open spaciousness that can give the players place and saturation in the soundstage could be diminished or lost.

In my room, there is a relative line of frequency balance that does it all best. With a little too much sweet warmth and body, I can lose midrange and high end beauty. But with just enough low end, the mids-up awaken enough clarity to give the soundstage notably more articulation and saturation. Though different in each case depending on too many things, my bass issues here are mainly between 45 and 70 Hz and below 25 or so (at least it helps to dump with a 19-20 Hz low EQ shelf).

Relative to this, I wonder if more bass treatment that really resolves low down could possibly clean your Mini up to a satisfying level of resolution? This was the case here. The addition of the Torii "created" issues in my systems, but along with everything else that effects frequency balance, room treatment (including EQ) notably helped solve it. I wonder if you have explored measuring your space?

Also, in my systems, the Decware interconnects go low and can be unresolved low down, contributing to this issue (if it exists).

I know you have explored tubes, but am not aware of how much since I don't read the Mini Torii area much, so sorry if this is redundant to your process.

Like the MKIII and IV, the topology of your amp is more complex than simpler circuits, and though anything in the signal path effects resolution and transparency (and for better or worse depending how it is done), Steve has proven you can add adjustability really well with the Torii lineage in particular. And these things can be awesome for fine tuning a system.

For your situation, the VRs in particular occur to me. Mainly about clean power, but guessing it is like the bigger Toriis, they also effect the push on the power tubes and inputs. Correct?

It is so hard to guess what different tubes will do just based on the likes or dislikes of others, particularly since the sound of the amp is based so much on everything else, room being a big one. So as I am sure you have found, at times, great tube recommendations for one system could suck in another where the tubes push the system/room balance off too far one way or another. As you have found in your explorations, it is finally all about synergy based in particular system needs.

But there are characteristic qualities of tubes, and the right ones for any of your tube sets could no doubt open your sound and resolution depending on the right tube choices for your particular tonal balance needs.

Have you tried OB3s or OC3s. If like the bigger Toriis, these will definitely lower the push to the power tubes, reducing overall density, and in turn, increasing spaciousness and resolution in the balance. Then of course, like OA3s, each OB3 and OC3 sounds different depending on vintage and make, but they will incrementally lower density (notable lower down), while increasing resolution if density is overwhelming detail and balance, sometimes, even a little. If this works, it may require a little rolling elsewhere to fine tune, but being relatively inexpensive, worth a try.

Like your recent post, I wonder if you may be able pull "enough" transparency and resolution from your Mini, while retaining its great flexibility in tube choices and adjustments for your system. I have been working on this a long time, trying to refine that beautiful balance of amazing resolution with great bass, body, and sweet musicality, but I can take my Torii too far into resolution for sure.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 05/06/15 at 19:48:11

Quote:
ProggRob wrote:

I am also glad to see the amp get some attention!  Like you, I have augmented bass but it does not reach up to 150hz.  I cross over around 50hz with a 24/db/octave slope.  I've tried to run higher (80-120hz crossover point) but didn't have success; it sounded a bit muddled to me.  If you can successfully do so with the MBM, never let it go!

Virtually all traditional Subwoofers are designed to go Low & Loud generally using larger heavier drivers for that purpose. This works great for Home Theater purposes but for music specific purposes they get Flabby at higher crossover Frequencies. As you will see from this chart, most music does not have a ton of content below 50hz. Therefore a sub crossed at 50hz can only provided limited improvement on the Low End for music.

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

To make things worse the Human Ear becomes less and less sensitive to frequencies as they drop below 150hz as shown here:

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/ear_sensitivity.htm

The Hsu Mid Bass Module and the Omega DeepOmega Sub are currently the only two devices that I know of designed specifically to play cleanly up into the 150hz range and they really add punch to drums, lift individual Bass notes and do not sound muddied at all. Best thing is you get wonderfully full music even at low to moderate volumes.

DBC   IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #24 - 05/06/15 at 20:30:34

DBC - thanks for the links!  I'm going to check these out.  Here's what I'm running (2 drivers per channel in OB configuration)

http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/catalogs/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&p...

I'm not sure these have any technical issues with break-up, resolution or speed at higher frequencies (within reason, of course, since they aren't full range), but rather a simple overabundance with frequencies 50hz - 150hz coming out of 6 drivers simultaneously.  "Integration" is the word I suppose I'm looking for.  I just sort of ruined things for me.  Of course now, I want to go home and try again!

Quick shout out to Will, who seems to be the tube master of the Decware forum!

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 05/06/15 at 20:46:02

Just some random thoughts ...

If I was thinking about a new DAC ~ I would go for one of the newer FPGA implementations and not go with anybody who uses off the shelf Sabre chips.  This is a trend in DAC building that seems to be setting itself apart from the norm and to very good effect.  These DACs can be updated with new firmware to improve performance and features that doesn't require a whole new DAC chip to refine or implement them.  Think PS Audio DS, Chord Hugo and even Schiit went with their own code in the development of the Yggy.  IMO, these are the DACs that are ahead of the pack and that all other DACs will be measured against for some time.

Speaker wise ... you already have very efficient speakers and from what I understand the pro drivers used by Tekton and Zu like to be played at mid to higher levels for them to really come alive.  If that's the case and you listen at higher volumes, then these are probably a great fit for you.  So your amplification should be in alignment with that.  I would think more wattage amps such as Torii Jr., Torii Sr. or ZMA that are more capable of pushing out the higher SPLs.

If you listen primarily at mid to lower volume levels and are looking for your speakers to bloom within that range there could be some other choices.  There is a lot of love around here for Omegas which really start to blossom at low to mid levels (especially when re-enforced with bass support).  They can crank "somewhat" loud, but there are better choices out there if you are going to rock out at high SPL levels.  And although they may not have the efficiency of Tekton or Zu, the lack of a crossover makes them just as easy (if not easier) to drive.  In that case I would think SET amps such as the Super Zen or 6c33c Monos.

There's no doubt in my mind that there is a lot of love for the Super Zen, it seems as if that SET sexiness seduces almost everyone who hears it.  If the 6c33c monos sound very close to that, but with more power, it is a no brainer for me that this will be a hugely successful amp as long as it can stay reasonably priced.  The Zen Triode Monos came in around $2295, I'm not suggesting or expecting the 6c33c will come in at that price as we would have to adjust for the bigger chassis size, adding gauges, MiG tubes are a bit more expensive, etc. but it leaves me hopeful that they can still be reasonably priced somewhere under a Torii Sr., but I'm just speculating for all I know they could cost more than a ZMA. Undecided

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #26 - 05/06/15 at 20:49:04

Will, this is a quote from Steve's comparison between Rachael and Mini Torii:

"... This amp (meaning the Mini Torii) is also very at home in the listening room, but is more complicated due to the larger number of tubes,

So, yeah, the marketing speech is fine, but relatively speaking, a Jack of all trades, wonderful rolling platform and sensitive gainer is no contest to Super Zen or even the Torii when it comes to pure transparency. Same argument I've been raising about possible tradeoffs involved in the (conceptually at least) coming Ultralinear Torii Junior.

I've already settled on a quite balanced complement of tubes after trying even the OD3 (which to me, the farther you go down that 4 specs line of OA3 ... OD3, the flatter and mono-dimensional the sound becomes). True, OA3 needs a commanding and opening preamp tube like the Brimar 12 AT7 to put things in balance and then you get the best compromise.

Just my opinion. Thanks for your feedback, BTW, as always.

Lon, your last comments make sense to me. Thanks!

DBC, ProggRob and the rest of you guys, thanks so much for the inputs. I'm getting all this together to come up with an optimal upgrading path, which at worst will take a couple of stages over time, but will eventually be done soon.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 05/06/15 at 20:59:25

Quote:
PrggRob wrote:

DBC - thanks for the links!  I'm going to check these out.  Here's what I'm running (2 drivers per channel in OB configuration)

http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/catalogs/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&p....

I'm not sure these have any technical issues with break-up, resolution or speed at higher frequencies (within reason, of course, since they aren't full range), but rather a simple overabundance with frequencies 50hz - 150hz coming out of 6 drivers simultaneously.  "Integration" is the word I suppose I'm looking for.  I just sort of ruined things for me.  Of course now, I want to go home and try again!

I checked out the link to the 15" Augies. According to this quote from an independent review they should be able to play at higher frequencies:

Quote:
The 15” Silver Iris Augie was well reviewed by Dick Olsher of “Enjoy the Music.com” Following is an excerpt taken from his review of the 15” Augie. “It seems to me that many listeners confuse bass weight with bass extension and opt for a subwoofer when bass weight is lacking. The problem typically lies in the upper bass, the octave from 120Hz to 240Hz where much of an orchestra's foundation and acoustic power resides. This is the octave that box woofers have a hard time coping with, basically managing to sound boxy through this range. In contrast, the Augie managed to shine here, elucidating instrumental fundamentals with consummate clarity and 3D realism.

ProggRob, I'm curious what type of amp you are using to drive these? Are you using Line Level connections (interconnects) to these amps? If your are using Line Level connections then I recommend you try Speaker Level connections which I find integrates more seamlessly with the mains.

I assume you are running your mains Full Range ???

DBC   IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #28 - 05/06/15 at 22:18:52

(apologies for the quick thread hijack)

DBC - I am using a speaker level connection from the Zen to two (2) separate Rythmik A370PEQ plate amplifiers, 375w each into 4 ohms.  The Augies in each channel are wired in series to present a 4 ohm load to the plate amps.  The plate amps can crossover as high as 120hz with (I think) a 12db/octave slope, but no higher.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/download/PEQ_quickguide.pdf

The mains are running full range, and play down to about 50-55hz before a very steep roll-off.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #29 - 05/06/15 at 22:22:22

Beowulf,

If I was thinking about a new DAC ~ I would go for one of the newer FPGA implementations and not go with anybody who uses off the shelf Sabre chips.  This is a trend in DAC building that seems to be setting itself apart from the norm and to very good effect.  These DACs can be updated with new firmware to improve performance and features that doesn't require a whole new DAC chip to refine or implement them.  Think PS Audio DS, Chord Hugo and even Schiit went with their own code in the development of the Yggy.  IMO, these are the DACs that are ahead of the pack and that all other DACs will be measured against for some time.

Audio Gd DACs are constantly updated through firmware. So, I've already replaced two different and, each time, improved versions of the SW involved (I guess in my DAC it has to do mostly with the interaction between the PC OS and the USB protocol in the device).

Remember the arquitecture of those advanced chips like the Sabre and the UK ones (now discontinued), are open for the designer to take advantage of and design real algorithms using those features available to them in the original chip. A good designer will tap that potential to the limit and then update the USB - Chip interaction protocol with more efficient instructions over time through firmware updates. The limitation of course, is the arquitecture is fixed, and there you are right.

The advantage, though, is you have already a fixed, proven solid base to build the DAC from. The proprietary software-based DACs are pioneers right now, and not yet proven over time. In due time, I agree this is the trend, but just now I feel these are still experimental. The Yggdrasil, for example, is a big question mark exactly for this reason. Time will tell.

Speaker wise ... you already have very efficient speakers and from what I understand the pro drivers used by Tekton and Zu like to be played at mid to higher levels for them to really come alive.  If that's the case and you listen at higher volumes, then these are probably a great fit for you.  So your amplification should be in alignment with that.  I would think more wattage amps such as Torii Jr., Torii Sr. or ZMA that are more capable of pushing out the higher SPLs.

That may be true for Zu but not Tekton. One of the best features with Tekton Lore's is their sensitivity, which allows them to be played at low volume with body and SPL levels which I enjoy very much. I don't think these need to be pushed hard to sound better, I think what I miss has nothing to do with power or speaker projection, but with processing of the signal path before the loudspeakers' stage.
Just my humble opinion based on observation.

The Zen Triode Monos came in around $2295, I'm not suggesting or expecting the 6c33c will come in at that price as we would have to adjust for the bigger chassis size, adding gauges, MiG tubes are a bit more expensive, etc. but it leaves me hopeful that they can still be reasonably priced somewhere under a Torii Sr., but I'm just speculating for all I know they could cost more than a ZMA.

My guess is these are going to be well above the Torii MKV in price and not only by bits inherent price but because of the extra IC's and especially the Preamp needed to go along with it. I consider an external preamp an avoidable source of veiling (and cost) in the signal path just to accommodate multiple inputs in the same box. Not worth it, but this is just my idea. Of course, I'm assuming the built-in preamp in any integrated amp is really well done and transparent not to need another external one.  Just my opinion.

Beowulf, thanks so much for triggering my thinking about these. still inconclusive arguments.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #30 - 05/07/15 at 12:37:23

Will,

I think your coming room treatments (diffusion), once sorted, will help your clarity of presentation and soundstage. In this context, if like my experience, (and it sounds like your perceptions relative to your sub) if you have some excess low end body/weight (even slight muddle) masking detail, and the upper mids/highs in balance, you likely have more resolution than you are hearing. If the low end is "filling in" a bit too much, suppressing the midrange/detail balance...the open spaciousness that can give the players place and saturation in the soundstage could be diminished or lost.

In my case, the crossover with the SUB is 55 Hz, so no risk of invading higher frequencies and mudding the sound that way. Nevertheless, I miss some microdetailing in the zones next up and downd of the center midrange. I also notice lack of bass texture in the above 55 Hz (most important one) segment of the frequency distribution, until about 100 or 125 Hz or so, after which the bass comes neat and tight. The depth of the bass is also limited by my 8" driver SUB and probably the room itself, so I'm still considering a Deep Omega SUB, but it will be adressed after the main mods we are currently discussing.

I believe you are absolutely right in your assessments, I just have a different situation here than yours with different symptoms and (at least to me) all points out at a lack of resolution from either the DAC or the amp or both (probably both is right).

Thanks so much for your valuable feedback.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #31 - 05/07/15 at 12:50:56

ProggRob,

Did you know you can order balanced inputs on the Zen?  You wouldn't need the converter or the extra pair of interconnects.  Shorter signal path = better sound.

I absolutely agree, but it makes me wonder, how can those Jensen trasformers (I think) fit inside that small chassis and if the inclusion of the XLR inputs is just a connection paliative and not the real balancing process being maintained. If the ones inside the new Super Zen is for real, I'm hoping the same could be ordered for a Mini Torii with all the described advantages.

Thanks again!

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #32 - 05/07/15 at 14:41:53

Hi Fireblade,

The Zen isn't a true balanced design, so yes, you could surmise that the balancing act here is palliative.  However, it does offer a couple of benefits:

1) It takes advantage of the best-sounding DAC output mode, in my case on the Schiit Gungnir.  This DAC is a true balanced design, and it allows me to grab the signal without the hardware summing in the DAC to single-ended output.  Of course, now I've moved the "artificial" balancing act to the amp, but it is handled by very good Jensen transformers selected by Steve, which leads me to No. 2

2) The amp is now receiving a 4v input instead of 2v.  I've compared the two options side by side and prefer the balanced inputs by a fair margin.

Last I checked the balanced inputs were only offered on the CKCS and the ZMA; you'll have to ask Steve if these inputs are available on the Mini Torii.

Rob

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #33 - 05/07/15 at 15:17:04

Thanks, ProggRob!

I would not want a fake balance input in my amp, so it is either the real thing imbedded inside the Mini Torii (unlikely) or suffer the overcrowding of the signal path through the ZBIT. I hope Steve considered this as essential in his design of the ZBIT to avoid transparency losses.

The reason I say this, is because unless the signal is truly balanced all the way, it would not take advantage of the concept. The Jensen transformers not only preserve this (ZBIT) but offer adjustable output / input voltage accommodation so the original balanced line level current flow intended by the DAC's designer is preserved.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #34 - 05/08/15 at 20:37:51

Hi Fireblade,

I have 2 points to share.

1.XLR to RCA
In my system, I am currently using a pair of Cardas Clear XLR to RCA adapters.
These are sonically transparent and do a great job for a reasonable cost at around US$250 to US$300 a pair.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-752-cardas-clear-xlr-input-adapter-pr.aspx

http://www.cardas.com/adaptors.php

I have field tested these Cardas adapters in my system using
the CSP3+ with Beyer T1 headphones and
also in my Zen Torii MK4 with Zu Audio Soul Superfly speakers.

My Oppo 95 player has 2 simultaneous audio outputs, RCA and XLR.
When the XLR output was converted into an RCA signal using the Cardas adapters, there was absolutely no loss of transparency when compared against the native RCA signal.

2.Torii MK4
If you ever decide to get a Zen Torii MK4, the EL34 is more transparent than the KT66 output tubes.

I think our audio preferences are similar whereby there is a preference for audio transparency.

I started out with NOS KT66 grayglass tubes but eventually gravitated towards use of NOS EL34 metalbase tubes.
The Hazen Grid mod just sounds "better", i.e. more transparent to my ears.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #35 - 05/08/15 at 22:05:37

Thanks for the thoughts, Lord Soth.

I would need to ask you what differences do you sense between the RCA's and XLR's output sound from your Oppo, other things being equal. Is there a tangible difference for the better in the XLR's? In other words, is the balancing act (pun intended!) inside the Oppo, real? If it is, you would need transformers to preserve the voltage from the XLR which is almost double the one in the RCA's. Just adapting the terminals will not make the end result balanced.

It may be that you are correctly assessing the potential efficiency of the adapter on the signal path, but not over a real balanced processed signal, as the adapters won't touch the output voltage from the Oppo.

Am I understanding this wrong? Please correct me to learn more about it. Bear with me, as I have not yet checked the Cardas link, so I may be all wrong here.

Unfortunately, everything seems to orient me towards beefing up my source (DAC) and my current amp, as a better, more impacting alternative to just replacing my Mini Torii with a MKV (which I may in the future).

Thanks for any further clarification.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 05/09/15 at 01:12:04

FB, I think your continued interest in #4 makes sense. As it has been said, even if eventually you go with a different amp, a better source is always good!

I have been ruminating on the whole thing and here are some more thoughts...

FB quote from Steve Quote:
"... This amp (meaning the Mini Torii) is also very at home in the listening room, but is more complicated due to the larger number of tubes,

FB about the Mini Torii: ..."relatively speaking, a Jack of all trades, wonderful rolling platform and sensitive gainer is no contest to Super Zen or even the Torii when it comes to pure transparency. Same argument I've been raising about possible tradeoffs involved in the (conceptually at least) coming Ultralinear Torii Junior.

I agree with you, that a greater number of tubes and other signal parts will reduce transparency, at least all else being equal. But then the level depends on design, part qualities, wires and tubes in the signal path, as well as what powers the parts. The question...within reason, what is the real transparency loss and how much does that effect musical enjoyment?

Also, though caps and transformers are known to help, can the detail and presence you crave from the Mini Torii be improved by identifying and removing bottlenecks that hinder its inherent transparency? If so, resolving them might effect your upgrade choices. It is after all a Decware amp designed to be transparent within Steve's chosen voicing, and it would seem that even if it were the least transparent amp of the family, it would have potential for a very good level of transparency.

Jupiter caps would likely help the Mini's resolution notably, but may not address bass articulation/congestion nearly as much as the mids and highs. Bass articulation and presence issues could be related as you suggest, by masking, but room stuff could be messing with both individually also. And if this is the case, it very likely would effect more resolving gear also.

As you have found, resolution and transparency depends on everything working together....tubes, room, power, source, cables, vibration, etc, each potentially enhancing or reducing resolution. And transparency loss from only one thing (even creating relatively minor EQ issues) can be a notable bottleneck. Within my system/room (no notable transparency bottlenecks once tuned), I can vary the micro detail/resolution either way quite a lot with tubes, and it is not very hard to get to a point of excess. You know all this, but I'm trying to explore the context of your upgrading questions and choices.

In terms of signal path, by adding the Jupitered CSP3 (four more tubes, caps, resistors, wires, connectors and ICs)....though I had to work to bring it up to match my Torii/HR-1 system (set up for very resolving sound), I was finally able to get better sound without notable resolution loss. Some aspects of resolution were perhaps very slightly reduced, but at the same time, the OTL potential of the CSP3, fully realized, also introduces resolution qualities that were improvements...Even with all these wires, resistors, caps, switches, pots, connections, tubes etc. the resolution (and musicality) of this matrix is amazing. But I have been working on all system/room parts to this end for years...very complex detail, resolution and frequency balance...all parts beautifully creating a quite revealing and flexible whole.

This does not deny that the number of parts in a signal chain are important as you suggest. More that it is a matter of degrees and everything effects everything. I have repeatedly found that if the source has it, and each part chosen and adjusted to be resolving and transparent, the whole has loads of potential to this end. This can go a long way toward limiting ultimate transparency issues with longer signal paths.

As an example,: LS knows a lot about really nice tubes, and says...in the MKIV, (really good) EL34s are more transparent than KT66. I too have experienced this, but in my setting now, I might say more “revealing” rather than “transparent,” since the way my system/room is tuned, RFT EL34s sound exaggerated mids up, and a little too loose in the bass. This is not that I am less into micro information and transparency, but because I have been tuning with Genelex KT66!

Some salient messages to me are: everything depends on everything else, usually a unique combination, so how each of us arrive at our sound is rarely the same; and LS has illustrated that particular tubes have been an excellent vehicle to increased transparency.

In my personal exploration, until all in the system/room is notably (and pleasantly) resolving, I can't realize the full potential of the whole. Then, once the whole is tuned to have its "medium" state to be very revealing, and relatively balanced, there is a fair bit of room for "flavor" variations while still having notable micro detail and transparency. And in a number of ways, this is in part made possible by my relatively complex signal path.

All that said, as DBC and ProggRob have found, the pleasure of a Zen system/room can be truly awesome and deeply resolving if all things up that very simple and beautiful amp.

So I don't disagree at all with what Steve said about more tubes making the amp more complex. But I enjoy the complexity of my amp for tuning and still have loads of resolution the way my system/room is configured and tuned. And my signal path is notably longer than the Mini Torii.

Quote:
In my case, the crossover with the SUB is 55 Hz, so no risk of invading higher frequencies and mudding the sound that way. Nevertheless, I miss some microdetailing in the zones next up and downd of the center midrange. I also notice lack of bass texture in the above 55 Hz (most important one) segment of the frequency distribution, until about 100 or 125 Hz or so

Quote:
I've already settled on a quite balanced complement of tubes after trying even the OD3 (which to me, the farther you go down that 4 specs line of OA3 ... OD3, the flatter and mono-dimensional the sound becomes). True, OA3 needs a commanding and opening preamp tube like the Brimar 12 AT7 to put things in balance and then you get the best compromise.

Yes it is all pretty tricky....but if there are unresolved bass and mid areas, and soundstage issues, then it would seem the balance could be improved...in my last post VR tuning was one of several things that I thought might help if it can be balanced with the rest. Switching from OA3s to OB3s for me can be simple, but also can require changing other tubes to adapt the shift. But if you find the result flatter/mono-dimensional, and without other potential, no use going there.

Have you tried other OA3s? None of the OA3s I have sound alike, with differences in openness, body, warmth, texture and extension, some green label Sylvanias from the early 80s my most open, transparent and resolving.

I find that excess anywhere in the bass range can mask mids, disrupting the balance. Even if the detail information is there, if not in balance, it sounds off or diminished. With my speakers, though barely audible, excess below 20-25 Hz has negative effects, muddling resolution of the whole a little.

I find roughly 50-60 down to be about big bass qualities, and up to 150 or so, it transitions into various aspects of lower bass definition. Then maybe 200-600 starts connecting attack to the bigger stuff, defining the bass as real. Seems bass muddle here can be from as far down as the system goes to maybe 130 or so if the balance is off.

When it is not articulate up to 150 or so, there are likely boom frequencies (they can be very narrow Qs) that can blur the overall presentation. Also I find lesser bass issues can be more muddle, not necessarily particularly boomy, and cause it to sound like less bass overall even though the muddle is from accentuation. Also, attenuation anywhere up to 500-600 can “accent” the articulation issues by making adjacent boom frequencies even more dominant in the balance, and by not filling out the tonal range. This seems especially important if the mid bass to lower mids articulation frequencies  are cut by the room. Also I think it is established that below 125 or so is the more difficult to address with traps.

I have a diaphragmatic bass trap that catches some of this but its too small to get it all. So I put narrow EQ cuts @45 and @66 (muddle zones here) with a narrow increase @ the cleaner 53 Hz, compensating in part for the other cuts. This alone has a notable effect on the open presence of the mids up.

Though treatment is the established best cure, I find quality EQ can help treatment to finish resolving room and system issues, bringing up transparency. Really, different wires, tubes, feet, power supplies and so on alter the frequency balance and resolution, in effect, EQ'ing with parts. But good EQ is quite articulate for fine tuning.

This takes me back to the beginning... if Foobar has simple to apply and relatively good EQ tools, this could be a pretty easy way to help identify if there are room/system issues causing transparency problems. By creating a narrow parametric Q like .08 to .1 octave width, and putting it up 12-15 dB or so, by slowly riding incrementally through the frequency range, room induced accentuation areas show up. Or by setting it down 12-15 dB, if you hear little or no change at certain frequencies, the room is likely attenuating that frequency and it would ideally be stronger. I used to do this with several different recordings that are revealing, balanced and extended, the combination revealing issues clearly. If like most, unless the room is treated very specifically for its issues, and to the gills, it could be attenuating important presence areas, or accentuating bass areas that mask the upper parts, or both.

If no frequency areas are limiting resolution, upgrades are pretty clear choices. Or, if there are system/room problems, resolving them would help what is already there, while also clarifying the most efficient next steps.

Yes I do tend to enjoy digging in, but it has been my experience over and over that room is huge, and every single thing matters.

Good Luck,

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #37 - 05/09/15 at 10:52:40

Hi Fireblade,

http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?title=BDP-95

According to the specs mentioned above, the oppo 95 has a true differential signal path from the DAC to the XLR output.

If you are in the market for a good DAC, I'd also highly recommend the oppo 105 ( latest) or 95 player to be on your shortlist of audiophile DACs.

BTW, by sonic transparency, I am referring to sonic clarity aka less of a sonic veil.
This is also the reason why I use my CSP3 purely as a headphone amp and keep it out of my speaker amp's audio signal path.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #38 - 05/09/15 at 13:58:05

I understand, and have read great things about the Oppo line in general. I just think using an adapter will not convey the true balanced signal to the recipient component, as it is not just a matter of connector standard differences but also voltage and a true balanced flow all the way to the amp. Just my humble opinion, I may be wrong.

I'm already committed to the flagships at Audio Gd (Master 7 or NFB 7) or the Yggdrasil, plus I don't have a use for dvd, Blue Ray or even cd players anymore. I rather have the differential in cost to go to the DAC chip and output stage, sort of a dedicated, single-purpose device like those I mentioned.

Thanks for the pointers though.

As a conclusion for this thread, I'm going for scenario 4: beefing up my Mini Torii with Beeswax Caps, UFO Mods and two volume step attenuators. Also, picking up a Decware ZBIT. The only thing still on the drawing board is which DAC to pick from the short list above, and choosing the right XRL IC's for the DAC/ZBIT. Also, I'm ordering PI Audio's Difussors (3 pairs).

Thanks to all for the kind and most valuable support!

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #39 - 05/09/15 at 18:13:00

Good choices, FB!

I'm interested in selling my excellent Coincident XLR interconnects and moving to an all Triode Wire Labs loom.  PM me if you're interested.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #40 - 05/09/15 at 19:53:40

Thanks, ProggRob. I think I'm going to look for more affordabble choices than those for now. The initial investment at this stage is already high for me. Both cables seem great, though, especially the Spirit Balanced XLR from Triode (and the more affordable of the two!).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print