Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 10:10:52 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New TORII JUNIOR amplifier for Summer! (Read 46545 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

New TORII JUNIOR amplifier for Summer!
04/18/15 at 00:54:39

I have been working on new Decware Amplifier... and am sending this note out to everyone on the Customer Appreciation List as the earliest possible notice. The new amp is scheduled to debut in July and you might find it to be an interesting possibility.

Presently you can buy our 2 watt amp for around $900 bucks, our 6 watt for around $1300 and then it jumps to 25 watts for around $3500 which is our Torii MKIV. As you can see pictured above I am just finishing the chassis design for a TORII JUNIOR that will be priced to fit nicely in that $1300 to $3500 gap. At 16 inches wide by 12 inches deep it will be the same size as our SE34I.4 amp and use the same wooden bases.  

I will be using the original TORII circuit in this design, hence the name TORII JR.  To get a TORII to fit into a smaller chassis like this, I will be building a single huge power supply instead of 2 smaller ones, and making the output stage ultra linear. This will eliminate one of the Voltage Regular Tubes that is used to regulate the screen on the output tube, since ultra linear uses part of the output transformer to accomplish this.

Also, it's important to note that this amp will be built with new DECWARE UFO transformers featuring a bandwidth of +/- 1.5dB between 10Hz and 100kHz. To achieve this bandwidth requires ultra precision winding with high interleaving and 3 times as many core laminations. This kind of precision is what gives the transformers such a stunning transparency, and that's the goal. The ultra wide bandwidth is simply a side effect of achieving that goal.

Power wise this zero-feedback amplifier should come in at a healthy 20 watts .

So if you've wanted a bit more power than 6 watts but couldn't quite swing the price of a TORII, this could be a very good summer!

Stay tuned to the web site and the forums for details as they come out.  And thanks for getting on this Customer Appreciation Email List. Anyone interested in this amp can contact me to get on the waiting list. The first 10 amps are going to be sold for 10% off.

- Steve Deckert

WWW   IP Logged
Urbs
Verified Member

Re: New TORII JUNIOR amplifier for Spring!
Reply #1 - 04/18/15 at 03:45:31

Interested

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/18/15 at 03:46:14

Sounds amazing. Good luck with the process!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/18/15 at 04:11:51

I'm struggling to decide which amp to use for home, my TORII MK IV or my ZEN CKC. I've moved and have a completely different listening setup. The MK IV presents more than I need and the ZEN might come up short in certain situations. So this new alternative is most interesting.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/18/15 at 10:20:02

Steve, would this still preserve even order harmonics like the Torii does?

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/18/15 at 13:59:53

I am thinking about updating my Torii MK3 to a MK4 (was really hoping the MK5 would pan out) but this new amp would do the job as an alternative. I have way more power than my ERRx need at the moment. I could sell my Tori MK3. I suppose the price of this new amp would be a factor. Steve?

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/18/15 at 15:30:33

Lance,  does your MK III have Bees Wax Caps? When was it made?  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/18/15 at 18:29:33

Mark, I bought it used. Has #111 on it, and was sent in to have upgraded caps before I bought it. It has the treble cut adjustment but not the bass.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/18/15 at 18:39:56

No bass control?  That's odd.  Were the first versions built without one or was that a custom thing.  So yours does have bees wax caps?  Is there a date on the bottom of the amp? Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/18/15 at 18:47:26

Has beeswax caps, date made 1 - 2001 on the bottom. My guess is the bass control was added later?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 04/18/15 at 19:05:09

It was a few years before bass controls were added. I have one of the first ones built, when I tried to have bass controls added Steve said he can't, that the layout is different when he made that change and he could not fit the bass controls onto the early ones.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 04/18/15 at 19:10:06

lLance wrote on 04/18/15 at 18:47:26:
Has beeswax caps, date made 1 - 2001 on the bottom. My guess is the bass control was added later?

Is it possible that the date is 2010? There was no Torii Mk III in 2001.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/18/15 at 19:29:07

Place my name on the waiting list for the Torii Junior.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 04/18/15 at 19:39:37

Yeah, that doesn't sound right to me either. I bought it 2 years ago and the guy I bought it from said he had it a couple of years.

image_029.jpg

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #14 - 04/18/15 at 19:58:49

Still, a price may influence me otherwise. No doubt, this is more than enough power. Also, I must consider that there will be a transformer upgrade to the SE34i.4 Oh boy so much to consider. But really, I should buy ALL the Decware equipment and be done with it.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 04/19/15 at 06:09:01

I agree 4K, one of each of the Decware pieces would be very contentment-making....ummm, until the next year!

But I bet this one is going to be sweeeeet.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #16 - 05/04/15 at 17:24:02

I won't be surprised if the Junior amp with UFO mod manages to have better sonics than the old geezer with standard transformers.

If that happens, I'll be in line for the new amp!

Cheers !

Reminds me of a proverb " the day a son stands taller than his dad is the day a father feels both proud and sad."

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #17 - 05/04/15 at 19:10:51

I wonder why is the UFO Mod not offered in the Torii Model (yet?). Also, I'm under the impression the Ultralinear design may be slightly less transparent than the original Torii Model, as there must be a tradeoff between PP and Ultralinear (or not?).

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #18 - 05/04/15 at 22:39:23

Steve told me he was starting out with the smaller amps and working his way up. Said the ZMA will be last...I think he may have added  "if ever", or maybe that was just the impression I was getting.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 05/13/15 at 14:23:34

I think Spring is rapidly coming to a close.  :D
Are we still expecting Jr. before summer? Hmmm?

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 05/13/15 at 23:32:41

In the first post Steve says July.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 05/14/15 at 14:15:40

Guess I should ignore thread titles from now on then.  ;)

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 05/14/15 at 23:39:57

I did both of course...when the posts were new.  ;)
But when I went back through the thread listing after a few weeks I noticed it said Spring...in the title.
I don't re-read every thread end-to-end every time on the site.
And my memory is not what it once was.  :)
But thanks anyway.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #23 - 06/10/15 at 21:25:27

I believe that this is a good choice for my limited power problem, BUT for me, price is always a factor. Since I own one Rachel, it has crossed my mind to find another one used, and use them each in mono. Of course, this only gets me to 12 watts from 6, but that may still be a reasonable choice. I could only really tell by trying it.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #24 - 06/11/15 at 20:05:37

4krow,

Although theoretically the bridged version should sound the same, there have been some comments in this forum (can't recall who/when), implying that the bridged versions do not sound as good (in general, not the Rachael in particular, mind you). I may be wrong, but it would be worth checking this out before deciding.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: New TORII JUNIOR amplifier for Summer!
Reply #25 - 11/11/15 at 00:18:11

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print