Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 22:46:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rachael - 6N1P vs. 6N2P Input Tubes (Read 16603 times)
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Rachael - 6N1P vs. 6N2P Input Tubes
04/17/15 at 17:00:00

Hello All-

I will be visiting a friend's house on Saturday night who is the proud owner of a Rachael.  I bought him some 6N2P input tubes to try in his amp, but wanted to take a quick poll of the user forum to see who has tried this and what the impressions were vs. stock 6N1P?

He has a VPI Scout Jr. turntable with Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, Grover Huffman EX phono and ICs, Tekton M-Lore speakers and BJC speaker cables.

I will also be bringing over my PI Audio UberBUSS for him (he has no conditioning to speak of), and my Triode Wire Labs American SC to swap out vs. the BJC cables.

Rob

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Re: Rachael - 6N1P vs. 6N2P Input Tubes
Reply #1 - 04/17/15 at 18:43:26

hey Prob,  I have been following the other forum ...member gatherings with much interest and envy. I have read where others have used the 6n2p in place of the 6n1p in the SuperZen CKC amps with success. So, might not be a bad experiment with the Rachel. Enjoy the listen / tweaks / cable / room treatment experiments. Sounds like it's been an eye opener for all involved. Nice!!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #2 - 04/17/15 at 22:44:39

Thanks Acetone, I didn't know the 6N2P could work in the Zen.  I might have to pick one up and try it.

I haven't tube rolled much in my amp.  Tubes are expensive and a gamble, but by most accounts can really pay off.  I'll get there.

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #3 - 04/17/15 at 22:58:21

7DJ8 tubes & 6n23p work well in the input slot as well in place of 6n1p. They can be had relatively cheap...$5 to $25 depending on maker.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Luis

Reply #4 - 04/17/15 at 23:27:25

I am trying now a couple of 6n23p Voskhod (Kaluga factory) rocket logo in my SE34I.2 and I like them a lot! Luis

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/18/15 at 06:29:45

Rob,

I used 6N2P in my SE34I.2 and was reminded when I auditioned a Rachael, the 6N2P takes a while to show its stuff. It will push the amp a little harder and louder if I recall, but it also clips at a lower level with the volume pot. For me, first impressions were not great sound-wise> I think I figured out they could be good when I broke a 6N1P and all I had was the 62NP pair. With burnin, I ended up liking it quite a bit, but I don't recall its specific characteristics beyond bigger and bolder.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/18/15 at 12:26:11

I haven`t tried many tubes in the Rachaels, they came without stock tubes and I had BB 6dj8`s and Philips 6dj8`s for them which I used for over a year so I took that as stock and voiced the other amps signal tubes around it.
Having tried and been impressed by the 6n1p-E x3 mica, gold grids in the CSP2+ I bought another 4 for the Rachaels. Their price is good compared to other NOS. They are disc getters as well, the Russian tubes I have are all discs so there is the romantic vibe of discs playing a part.
Guess it`s all about building up a small stock slowly.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #7 - 04/18/15 at 15:58:29

I echo Will's experience with my Rachael. I am using the 6N1P's now that I got from Steve with my amp. I tried the 6N2P's again last weekend while I was breaking in my new speakers and had the same impression that I originally had, they seem to overload sooner and sound harsh. So far in my system the 6N1P seems to be the winner. BUT, now that I have speakers that allow me to hear every change, some tube rolling is going to be happening soon. Let us know the results of your trials. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #8 - 04/19/15 at 01:07:44

Hey thanks for the feedback everyone.  I suppose we shouldn't expect too much tonight out of the 6N2P's since they have very few hours on them.  Bigger and bolder makes sense with the additional gain.

On my Zen, I put in a Matsushita National 7DJ8 and really like what I hear.  They seem to take me much further into the mix a bring out fine detail across the spectrum.  I listened to some Opeth songs that I've listened to hundreds of times and heard them like never before.  Bass may have taken a step back vs. 6N1P, but otherwise very very good.  On some tracks, vocals come forward in a pleasing way but on the flip side can seem almost too much with others.  I'll listen to it several more days to decide.

Keep the suggestions coming!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/19/15 at 01:10:20

The 6N2P-EV can sound harsh if you crank it up too much. I tried one in my Super Zen and it gave a livelier more forward presentation overall. I grew tired of it, pulled it out and replaced it with the 6N1P-EV, which was instantly warmer and more neutral.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #10 - 04/19/15 at 01:13:39

I am definitely seeing a trend here.  Perhaps in the right system they could work!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/19/15 at 05:46:32

Quote:
I am definitely seeing a trend here.  Perhaps in the right system they could work!

Quote:
On my Zen, I put in a Matsushita National 7DJ8 and really like what I hear.  They seem to take me much further into the mix a bring out fine detail across the spectrum.  I listened to some Opeth songs that I've listened to hundreds of times and heard them like never before.  Bass may have taken a step back vs. 6N1P, but otherwise very very good.  On some tracks, vocals come forward in a pleasing way but on the flip side can seem almost too much with others.  I'll listen to it several more days to decide.

Sounds like a good description of the 7Dj8. I have had the same feeling depending on tuning. If the detail  and openness is close to the edge, a 7DJ8/PCC88 can be too much at times. But, though they all seem to do something like what you describe, they vary in how they do this...some more bass, some more open, bigger, wetter, drier, extended...the usual variations with inputs depending on brand and vintage.

Remember tubes too take time to come out. Especially some Russian inputs can be pretty rigid for quite a while before opening up. I find even the faster burnin input tubes can take 50 or more hours to open up.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
SE84CKCS
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/20/15 at 01:16:21

Interesting. When exchanging emails w/ Steve, I asked him about swapping in a 6N2P, and he said it wouldn't work.

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #13 - 04/20/15 at 17:31:26

SE84CKCS: yeah it doesn't mention it on the website either for the Zen, but I guess there's some first hand experience with others.

PS - I never got around to hearing these on Saturday.  We got wrapped up in cable swapping, something I just started a new thread on.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/20/15 at 22:58:51

Rob,

My experience was similar to what Will notes in Response #6.  I didn't like them and gave them to another Rachael owner at Zenfest.

I do have some 7DJ8s still if you/your friend are interested.

CDApS needs some vinyl influence.  Recruit and you'll win a toaster.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #15 - 04/21/15 at 01:12:46

Palomino, I'd like to try your 7DJ8 tubes that you've got on hand.  I'm really digging this Matsushita National but would like to explore more.  My buddy can try the matched pairs that I don't keep  ;D

Rob

PS make it a finished pair of your diffusers and I'll work tirelessly to recruit!

IP Logged
riknbkr330
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 04/21/15 at 02:00:19

Hi Guys...new here...first post and all.  I'd like to contribute to this post as I'm running 6N2Ps with my Rachael.  They really help out with the input sensitivity of my phono preamp, Musical Surroundings Phonomena II and the Dynavector 20X2L cart combo.

The sound is pretty good, but was harsh at first.   They're still burning in as I got the amp probably a little over a month ago.  The 6N1Ps do sound nice as well, and I picked up a set of NOS Philips 6922 to roll with .  They do sound really nice with my digital sources.

Overall I'm really happy with the amp and sound I'm getting.  This the most musical setup I've ever had and it really bums me out I didn't buy into this many, many years ago.

Main System:
Decware Rachael; Omega Monitor 7; Omega deep8 sub; Oppo BD-105>Zbit; Rega P5; Dynavector 20X2L;Parks Budgie SUT; Decware ZP3.
Second System: Creek Classic 5350SE; Rega RS1; Dual 1264; Musical Surroundings Phonomena II
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #17 - 04/21/15 at 03:40:05

Welcome! And awesome! I love the sound of the Rachel. Palomino has two of them, and they catch me off guard with how good they sound.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #18 - 04/21/15 at 17:22:50

Welcome riknbkr!  

When you say "helped with input sensitivity of phono preamp", are you actually referring to the lack of voltage output from your phono?  Trying to determine how the 6N2P helps with input sensitivity of the phono but I may be misunderstanding.  I ask because my friend has about 1.5v out from his phono stage but the Rachael needs about 2.5 for full output and you may have a similar situation.

Rob

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 04/21/15 at 17:56:12

I think they output more than the 6N1P's.  They guy I gave my 6n2ps to used them for the same reason.  He ran without a pre, but like the little goose from the 2p's with his TT based system despite the earlier clipping.  He later bought a pre.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
riknbkr330
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 04/30/15 at 14:41:14

Yes, the 6N2P increases the gain and input sensitivity of the amp helping the phono stage gain.  The better solution is getting an SUT between the cart and phono stage, and that's probably my next purchase.

Overall though everything sounds great and I'm very satisfied.  Always anticipate listening sessions, so that's a good thing  :)

Main System:
Decware Rachael; Omega Monitor 7; Omega deep8 sub; Oppo BD-105>Zbit; Rega P5; Dynavector 20X2L;Parks Budgie SUT; Decware ZP3.
Second System: Creek Classic 5350SE; Rega RS1; Dual 1264; Musical Surroundings Phonomena II
  IP Logged
bvictor
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 04/30/15 at 22:54:03

I run 6N2P-EVs in both my Rachel and my SE34I.2+.  LOVE them.  Have never returned to the 6N1Ps

Beautiful, clear gutsy tubes.

DECWARE: SE34I.2, HDTs; CSP2, TABOO, Zen Styx, RL 1.5s; Mystery Amp, ZDAC-1, Klipsch KLF-30s; Bridged Raches with Klipsch Forte IIs and Monoliths
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print