Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 15:06:24 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Resistors, What say you? (Read 2567 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Resistors, What say you?
04/17/15 at 02:18:41

Carbon composite, metal film, metal foil, wire wound, and more. For a signal path are there worthwhile differences? I would like to know.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Resistors, What say you?
Reply #1 - 04/17/15 at 02:41:04

Don't know your intended application, but for a tweeter, Mundorf M-resist Supreme are notably smoother, more musical, and quite revealing compared to Wirewound resistors.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Resistors, What say you?
Reply #2 - 04/17/15 at 13:23:38

I've dabbled with resistors in the guitar amp area - different application of course because you typically want an amp to be colored and effect the guitar tone...where as with our two channel listening amps you want the electronics to get out of the way. I know that resistors do have say in your end sound. Warmer, colder, analytic, dead/flat.

I've seen Steve use what look like modern carbon comps in the signal path, and I've seen photos of his amps with Dale/vishay in them. I've not really paid attention to where or why. Steve's already worked that out for *his* amps.

Different type of resistors have different applications. You'd totally use a non-magnetic wire wound for a power supply application, but not in the signal path (I don't believe).

Here is a photo of my ZMA when it was getting the balanced inputs added. You can see it's rife with carbon comps. I see a metal film in what I believe is a power to the tube application, and I could be wrong but those little blue resistors are probably going to the meters or something.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print