Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 09:32:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any suggestions for the input tube? (Read 836 times)
FarmBoss

Any suggestions for the input tube?
04/14/15 at 01:28:17

My system consists of the mystery amp, the zsp3 as my preamp and the decware phono stage.  I only play vinyl and have a VPI classic.  Because there are so many tubes to play with, I decided to start at the source and work my way through.  On my phono stage I changed out to RCA black triple micas with great results.  No it is the zsp3's turn.  I only plan on changing the single input tube.  Looking for something that works well mostly with classic rock.  I have a pretty decent sound stage right now but as always looking for a bit more.  Everything works great right now, no hum -sound is really really good but I have the hankering to upgrade to a vintage tube.  Is anyone running an Amprex in the input stage and if so how does it compare to the stock tube?

Thanks

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Re: Any suggestions for the input tube?
Reply #1 - 04/14/15 at 02:32:48

try this
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1418187048/15#15

my fav so far is the amperex 7308
like to try a telefunken e88c but they cost about 2x the amperex...

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/14/15 at 02:35:57

Farm Boss,  I recently did as you want to do...I upgraded both the output and input tubes in my CSP3.  I currently have a White label Amperex 7308 as input and a pair of 60's Triple Mica 6N1P-EVs as outputs.  I would also mention in my Zen Signature Monoblocks I've run a pair of the 7308s as inputs but recently have really enjoyed a pair of White label Amperex 6922s that would also probably work well in the CSP3.  I tried a pair of Orange Globe Amperex 6922s and they were harsh and edgy compared to the older White Labels...I was really quite surprised at the difference.  It may have been that the Orange ones needed more break in.  Happy Rolling.  Mark.  

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/14/15 at 08:39:23

funch wrote in previous thread...
I thought I'd jump back in with another recommendation, this time for an input tube. This one is killer.[
url]:http://www.upscaleaudio.com/telefunken-e88cc-6922/[/url]

I think Stone uses this tube as well and loves it. I hope the supply doesn`t dry up soon because I want one as well.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
FarmBoss

Reply #4 - 04/14/15 at 12:57:17

Mark,  I have been eyeing that Amprex 7308 and pulled the trigger this morning.  I am hoping the soundstage opens up a bit.  Syd I hope you managed to get that tube.. It looks like upscale has either moved the page or is out of that one.  Thanks

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/14/15 at 13:04:19

Syd, I have to admit I've never considered trying Tele's even when offered dirt cheap, because of Joe of "Joe's Tube Lore".  His description just turned me off. His opinion has also been why I haven't tried the expensive Seimens small tubes.  I'll give you the quote for the 12AX7 and a link to the whole Screed.  I know that this is one man's opinion but it has helped me in my tube rolling.  It was written in the late 90s...you'll get a kick out of the prices he gives.  Talk about inflation!

The link you give is bad.  I've given it again below as well as one to a much less expensive Tele 7DJ8 that might be considered instead...I haven't heard either one.  Given all the positive comments on the Teles, I may have to try one if it shows up cheap.  Especially now that I have the High End tamed in my Cave. I personally buy my tubes on ebay.  It's a bit risky but I've had good luck and you can pay half or less than the retail vendors for good testing tubes. Mark.  

PS...I just realized we're talking 6922s...here's what joe says about them...

Telefunken 6922 / E88CC (with shield, diamond bottom, gold pins) Slightly hollow mids, not as rich as the best Siemens and Amperex. A bit like the Siemens E288CC, though a bit better than that tube. A good tube, but the more common & cheaper Siemens 6922s are much better choices IMO. (Absolutely pounds the Russian tubes, though!)

Telefunken 12AX7 ribbed plates - a typical soft, unfocused 12AX7 sound with big, soft, images allied with a bright bass shy character. I was shocked when I heard these guys first hand, but the more I talked to people who knew these tubes the better I understood them. I generally associate NOS tubes with a warmer, more harmonically complex & rich sound than current production, but light and airy is the order of the day here - to the point of brightness. The secret is that these guys are a favorite for use in a lot of old classic gear from the '50s & '60s where the transformers, wire and caps used were thick, dull sounding sonic sludge. The bright balance of this tube is great complement for this kind of gear, but drop it into current broad bandwidth tube gear (like the Thor) and you might just get sonic hell - all for just $50 to $65 a tube!

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/telefunken-e88cc-6922/
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/telefunken-pcc88-7dj8/
http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/14/15 at 13:24:59

Farm Boss,  here's what joe has to say about the two tubes I've been using in inputs recently.  Mark.

Amperex 6922, PQ, white label, US (shield, gold pins) Another very good Amperex tube. Warm yet lively, focused, grainless and transparent. A winner one of the best. Dynamic with punchy bass to boot....

Amperex 7308 white label, US (shield, gold pins) My favorite 7308 by a small margin. Bass is a bit better than the Holland 6922s. Vocals lack just a touch of body compared to the best Amperex 6DJ8s & 6922s. Still a very good tube overall...

IP Logged
FarmBoss

Reply #7 - 04/14/15 at 18:49:41

Mark,  I agree with Joe's description of the Telefunken.  I purchased an old Fischer console and found a tele 12AX7 inside.  When I tried it in my ZP3 I could not believe how bright it was.  I couldn't stand it.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/23/15 at 14:54:43

i made this for an old tube buffer (x10-d) i had.  thought i'd try it in my csp3 input location.  not bad!  very detailed and maybe a tad to alive for me up top, but other than that pretty nice sounding.

sylvania 7963 soldered into a 9pin connector.

20150523_082133a.jpg

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print