Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 16:28:32 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The new Zen CD Player: (Read 11567 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

The new Zen CD Player:
04/13/15 at 18:24:42

The ZCD240. Just got the email.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZCD.htm

Options now for a Decware digital source. Cool.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: The new Zen CD Player:
Reply #1 - 04/13/15 at 21:41:15

Pic

7931bbec67514743aa211278e84108ae.jpeg

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 04/13/15 at 21:42:19

We have replaced our CD player with something even better! The DACs have been upgraded to Burr Brown and the tube output stage has been replaced with a fully adjustable transformer-coupled stage that has an adjustable output level to 7.5 volts. It's a genuine demonstration of what good imaging is all about! (Not to mention slam!)

In addition, you can...

Download your favorite DLNA compatible server software for mac or pc, tell it what folders your music is in and the new ZCD240 will play your music so long as both machines are connected to your home network or wifi router. You even get a free app for your smartphone to access your music library from anywhere in your wifi area.

Being able to play all the popular file formats, such as Mp3, Flac  Wav, and DSD both off the network or off the memory stick makes this player literally cover all the bases. You can even use it to stream live internet radio for absolutely free. Hi Res Stations like Linn Radio come to mind.

You can read more about it here and take advantage of the introductory price of $1295.00 which is the same as the prior model so you know it won't last long. We are taking orders for this player now. Turn around time is 3 to 5 weeks

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 04/13/15 at 22:00:26

Yeah, I got the email today too. Steve's transformer-coupled stage is really something, to say the least.

I had a great session this morning! The Mundorf Mcap Supremes in my Adagio's are wonderful!

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 04/13/15 at 22:42:12

I got to play with this briefly last week when I was at Decware. It sounded pretty good, and once we figured out how to set it up, it was pretty slick. Think of the Decware DSD with streaming and networking features.

Steve's finally getting into the 21st Centuray! LOL

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/14/15 at 01:24:33

Does the output have enough room at the low end to be used with a Mini Torii?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/14/15 at 02:24:58

Looks like this will play a physical disc which is great.  Anybody have an idea of how this would compare to the DSD soundwise?  I like the price!  I've been thinking of the DSD but I would need to use my current cd player as a transport.  More cables, etc.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/14/15 at 18:04:02

The Tascam CD-240 costs $350.

Does the transformer-coupled outputs sound better than the unit's balanced outputs?

Is anything done to upgrade the Tascam CD-240's SMPS?

Why a captive power cable instead of an IEC input?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 04/16/15 at 03:47:00

Hi Archie - It sounds better the ZCD200i which was the goal.  The sound from it is very similar to the ZDSD in most ways, although the ZDSD has better density.  

Kana813 - I was getting ready to call you out on the price, since I've been paying $499 for them, but I see now two places that are discounting them at $350.  If that turns out not to be refurbs, or temporary then we can turn the introductory price into the regular price!  Heavy discounts always make me nervous since I'm the one that's going to hear about it if there is something wrong with it or it develops glitches.

The transformer coupled outputs sound better feeding a single ended amp, sure.  Running a balanced to single -ended cable always ruins the sound on any balanced gear I've owned... the transformer contributes to dimensionality and shimmering highs.

The power supply is left largely alone.  Other than reducing noise by running a shielded cord to feed it, it doesn't really lack in any way.  The transformer is generous.

The captive power cord is done to ensure there is always an earth ground on the chassis.  Since the transformer coupled outputs are floating the grounds of the RCA jacks do not contact the chassis.  Once an amplifier or preamplifier is connected to the jacks, the common ground of that device then becomes a star ground for the output transformers.  This sounds better than doing it in the ZDSD itself and contributes to the excellent imaging. I thought about offering an IEC but due to the resistance possible in the ground connection I was concerned it may cause a potential noise issue.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/16/15 at 19:28:14

Steve,

Thanks for the info.

I wasn't thinking using about using a balanced to single-ended cable.

If you've got an amp with balanced and single-ended inputs, do your  transformer-coupled outputs sound better than the unit's stock balanced outputs?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/17/15 at 00:31:33

After I posted the above -- encouraged by the price of the ZCD240 relative to the ZDSD I remembered that the ZDSD can record directly from its input.  This feature makes it a clear winner between he two for me given my large vinyl collection dispite the need for a transport to spin my cds.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 04/17/15 at 16:02:00

I heard one of Steve's reel to reel rips on DSD 5.6 and it sounded really good.

Steve said the CD on this new device sounds way better than it should in this price range.

So I guess it boils down to what you need in your setup.

I can't answer the question of Balanced vs his Single Ended output mod. I'm partial to balanced in general - but we listened to the SE output and it was very good sounding for just streaming audio (we were testing streaming and not really critical listening)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/17/15 at 17:50:42

What I really wish was that the ZDSD played disc media.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 04/17/15 at 23:32:48

Archie, I can just put a CD into my computer it through the ZDSD.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/18/15 at 00:20:59

I can rip my CDs and put the files on a memory stick but I wasn't sure if I'd loose anything besides the convenience of just playing the disc.  Which for me is still a big factor.  Like Lon, I prefer having my music on the physical media -- LP, CD. My computer and my hi-fi are far apart. Thank god! For me, my computer is a necessary evil while my hi-fi is just necessary.  :)

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print