04/23/24 at 19:51:39 

Poll
Question: solid core vs stranded, cloth or not

yes
no

« Created by: jeffiam on: 05/31/15 at 21:45:53 »

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Belden 8402 Microphone Cable (Read 155148 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Belden 8402 Microphone Cable
04/10/15 at 20:54:26

I thought this was a pretty cool article and (for you guys who can brew your own) a set of inexpensive All-American vintage-style interconnect cables.

The Vintage Beat: A Forgotten Voice from the American Recording Studio

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Belden 8402 Microphone Cable
Reply #1 - 04/10/15 at 21:07:57

I've used that Belden cable for guitar patch cords in the past. It's good stuff.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/10/15 at 21:29:53

I'm thinking about making 2 sets of these, it will be my first foray into DIY cables.  The parts are definitely cheap enough.

IP Logged
ozoid
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 05/05/15 at 06:12:48

Definitely interesting. The Belden cable for interconnects is widely available, but the Western Electric speaker cable seems to be more difficult to come by. Apparently there are some counterfeits out there; anybody know a reliable source?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 05/05/15 at 15:48:13

For the same Beldon mentioned in the article? Yeah, they mention Triode in Chicago (I'm from the area, good shop). Get it from there if you want to try it. Probably the only reliable source in the US unless you buy used.

Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/05/15 at 18:10:40

I think he was asking about the Western Electric WE16GA actually.
I purchased a few feet from an Ebay seller and can report back once it arrives.
Should be easy enough to tell if it's legit.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/05/15 at 22:09:36

I bit and will make up a few of these interconnects.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #7 - 05/05/15 at 22:16:15

Any old “seasoned audiofool” worth his salt, likely knows about the value of using Mogami Neglex microphone cable for DIY interconnects.  This stuff has been a studio standard for “decades” and is used in live event cabling pretty commonly also.  I used to be involved in pro-sound a bit on the side in my younger days and we had every possible implementation of line-level cables made with this stuff – not just for mic’s.  Quiet as death in the noisiest of environments and very natural sounding.
I also made several pairs of IC’s out of the stuff for home use about 20 years ago.  In fact, I believe (haven’t looked behind the built-in entertainment center of our HT for a few years) that our HT is all hooked up with the Mogami DIY cables, all terminated with the excellent Canare F10 Teflon insulated RCA plugs.
This thread has made me remember these, and makes me think that I should check my cable inventory to see if I have any unused and drag them out and swap them into the big-rig and see how they sound to me now and how they measure up to my current references.
Mogami 2534 – Quad 4 conductor + shield
Mogami 2549 – 2 conductor + shield
Used to be able to buy this stuff from HAVE, Inc. which also stocks CANARE cable and connectors.
The Mogami is a very natural sounding cable IMO, and most other peoples as well.  If you’re looking for a hyped-up, ultra vivid, etched or forward sound, this is not your wire.  However, if you’re looking for a wire that presents all the details of the music in a balanced manner, without drawing attention to any particular frequency or inducing listening fatigue during long listening sessions… might want to give this stuff a try – not much to lose… it’s cheap as dirt from the perspective of boutique audiophile cables.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/07/15 at 21:00:54

So the wire I purchased from an Ebay seller looks "practically" identical, except for some of the markings, to this picture that was a part of the article listed above.
Strand count and strand tinning also looks the same.
I don't have the services of a metallurgist so I can't comment on whether the materials are exactly as talked about in the article.
I also bought some, identical in construction again, that has a black cloth insulation instead of the red, for the return.
I plan to hook it up over the weekend to see how it sounds.
If you want a link to the Ebay seller just PM me and I will reply.

WE16GA-1.jpg
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/07/15 at 22:31:53

I bought some to test as well.  The seller has impeccable feedback so I suspect its Western Electric wire.  Just may not be the right WE wire.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/07/15 at 23:51:48

Now that I have this wire and it's separate hot/return, I would ask for a recommendation on twisting the pair or leaving it separated, etc.?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 05/08/15 at 00:10:51

Did you guys by chance read in the comments section where a guy is was making the Belden 8402 interconnects length based on the cable pioneer Robert Fulton designs (who always used multiples of 57 1/8″ for his cables)?  This length is supposedly the "magic length".

For an example for someone who needed 13ft pair of interconnects that would mean they would build them to 14′ 3 3/8″ long.

Don't know if there's any science behind it, but the cable is fairly cheap enough to try it out.  It's especially useful to those who want to setup their equipment in another area or accross the room from where their speakers are placed.

Seems CANARE F-10 and Switchcraft SWC-3502A RCAs are doing well with 8402 cables.

@ Core32 I see you got the WE wire for your speaker cables = very cool!  Keep us posted on the outcome! Cool

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #12 - 05/08/15 at 03:39:44

So is that cable length? Or cable length with plugs?

ozoid
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 05/08/15 at 05:35:50

Thanks for the update on the WE cable. It definitely looks as if it's tinned WE cable, like what Day has. I'll buy some once I know I'm buying from the right source.

Core32: Unfortunately, I haven't been active on the Decware forum and it won't allow me to PM. The seller I see is Tajacobs, in Oklahoma. Is that your source? Since I can't PM, I don't know if I can receive PMs. Could you confirm on this forum?

Good to see I'm not the only one who's reading Day's blog. I've learned a lot from reading him.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/08/15 at 07:13:28

Lonely Raven wrote on 05/08/15 at 03:39:44:
So is that cable length? Or cable length with plugs?

Actual cable/wire length only ... not including RCA connectors.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 05/08/15 at 11:46:55

Quote:
The seller I see is Tajacobs, in Oklahoma. Is that your source?

Ozoid,
Yes that's the one, but today it appears the red is sold out maybe?
Still shows the black has some for sale and it is exactly the same wire, just a different color cloth.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/08/15 at 15:00:00

First quick observation:
Well due to my impatience and having some free time last night I decided to hook up the WE16GA speaker wire.
Up front I must confess that I have been using some very old Monster speaker wire from the early 80s, terminated at solder posts on a dual bananna plug. (Both + and - banannas fixed in one backshell).
Obviously it is not going to take much in the way of improvement for me to notice.  ;)
With time being short I decided to use the new wire direct with no terminations on either end. My cable length, amp to speaker is close to 7 feet with some slack.
Right off, with all other settings being equal I noticed the volume was increased.
I say volume to mean the music was more prominent in the room across the frequency spectrum.
The session was too short and obviously the cable was right out of the box so I won't make any further claims until I have several more hours of listening under my belt.
For those who are also buying/trying this wire, I will say that even though this wire is listed as 16GA I needed to use the 14GA opening on my stripper to keep from nicking/breaking a couple of the fine strands.
It could be that my stripper blade is a bit worn and my hands aren't as steady but the 14GA setting cut straight through the white inner tubing and left the strands unscathed.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 05/08/15 at 18:08:11

If you reference the blog and the ebay seller description, you do see a slight variation in the lettering on the wire:

Blog:
VW-1 – – – CSA AWM 1 A/B 90C 300V FT1 A.I.W. CORP

ebay listing:
VW-6 --- CSA  AWN1  A/8  90C  300V  FT1  A.I.W. CORP

The only difference seems to be the VW-1 vs VW-6.  The blog also says A/B and the ebay listing says A/8.  This could just be in the lettering not being clear.

The difference between VW-1 and VW-6 is the wire's flame resistance.  VW-1 is more flame resistant than VW-6.

I think the internal wire is the same, but the external wrapper may be different.   Does that matter?  Its a different dialectic so...probably.  We'll see.

As I have scanned the various Asian sites offering WE wire, it seems its all valued no matter the gauge.  Some of the solid core seems to be valued as well.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 05/08/15 at 18:32:54

I have not been able to find another source citing VW-6 so I am not sure of that comment I made about it being less flame resistant.   Still looking.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 05/08/15 at 19:55:18

I couldn't find any other verification of the VW-6.  I think the ebay seller is mistaken in the markings on the wire.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 05/08/15 at 20:12:06

Palomino,
Here are some pictures of what I received.
I believe the Ebay add just has some typos in it.

IMG_0412sm.JPG
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 05/08/15 at 20:13:16

A second:

IMG_0411sm.JPG
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 05/08/15 at 20:15:09

And a third:

I believe these show to be the same basically as what is in the original article.

IMG_0413sm.JPG
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 05/08/15 at 21:09:51

I`ve just bought a nice length as well. 30ft Red WE AIW 16g. I know I need a pair of longer interconnects so it`ll be fun to see what they sound like when I source some RCA`s.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 05/08/15 at 21:28:30

I sent a note to the seller and they confirmed those are just typos.  I too think this is the right stuff.  We'll see how it sounds next week.

IP Logged
ozoid
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 05/09/15 at 06:37:37

Thanks, Core32, for the extra info. With the red out of stock, I bought enough of the black for both hot & return; a little bit of colored tape or something like it will keep them straight.

And then, after dithering for more than 6 months, I finally pulled the trigger on a SuperZen! Spoke to Steve, who will customize the amp so I can use my little PSB subwoofer on the desk. Eager to hear those new transformers!

I occasionally add a comment to Jeff Day's blog and I thought he'd enjoy seeing how his post mobilized some readers, so I sent him a link to this thread. Greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 05/09/15 at 14:52:27

Ozoid,
Great news on the amp purchase.  :)
And not that you want to spend anymore on speaker cable but it appears the seller has put up more red for sale.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351394358821

If he hasn't shipped I suppose he might be willing to swap some red for black. He did combine shipping charges for me.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 05/09/15 at 16:31:28

Heres the length I bought yesterday.

Heres the new listing

Same heading for both. The 30ft length was $29.95 + $12.75 ship. Good deal I thought. I couldn`t see the print on the cable, I think the lighting is harsher.
Oh, I see he has a `light red`length listed as well so thats my one I guess.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #28 - 05/09/15 at 23:50:22

You guys and your fancy clothe wrapped 16AWG WE wire...and all I have is 75 feet of Zen Styx type 8AWG wire....and an apple.

ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #29 - 05/10/15 at 02:20:07

LR, is that good for our PC project?

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 05/10/15 at 13:41:25

I was thinking about buying that roll and Raven swooped in and snagged it.  I was debating about using it for the direct line into my room but couldn't make up my mind.  He who hesitates...

This is a little different than Zen Styx wire, but I actually liked it better in a head to head contest.  It has a different coating (2 lighter layers rather than one thicker coat).  As such, it is more flexible.  Inside wire the same.  You tend to find this cheaper than the Styx wire.

I just made a pair with this stuff yesterday for the cottage system.  My old set was a transplant from my existing rig and not long enough.

I also made up a pair of the interconnects mentioned in this thread yesterday and have been listening to them after letting them burn in a little overnight.

I believe they are a very good value and perform as advertised.  Nice balance, smooth but with detail.  Very musical.  I was looking for some new interconnects and these seem to fill the bill quite nicely.

We'll see how the 'fancy' NOS cloth wire works this week.  I should have it in by Tuesday.  

Maybe we have a CDApS wire-off.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 05/10/15 at 15:16:44

I'm looking forward to your impressions of the WE 16g wire.  There are plenty of sellers so I don't think there's any shortage.  Are there any reviews of other's experiences with it used as speaker cables?  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #32 - 05/11/15 at 03:16:57

Quote:
LR, is that good for our PC project?

IMHO, I think any 10AWG or bigger would be good. But I also believe there is more to power cables than gauge. At least with a thick gauge you're not holding back the amp - and to me, that's the first step.

I've still not decided what I'm going to do with this roll. I still also have that triple wrap of 10AWG.

Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 05/11/15 at 12:55:41

Palomino,
Quote:
I bit and will make up a few of these interconnects.

Did you find Belden 8402 for sale?
If so can I ask where?
I'm only finding 8412 on the sites I frequent.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 05/11/15 at 13:54:37

The place in Tinley Park Il referenced in the blog.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 05/12/15 at 19:37:33

I got the Western Electric wire yesterday and burned it in overnight.

I didn't listen for everything because I only had an hour this morning but I found it very musical, meaning it really relays the emotion of the musician.  I found myself very engaged in the various recordings.  This is similar to how I felt about the Belden microphone wire interconnects.  I did listen to both of them together.

It could just be the power of suggestion because the Japanese designer is known for the musicality of his creations, but it was fairly obvious to me and across multiple songs.

This wire still needs some seasoning before a final opinion.  For example, the bass is a little mushy and the highs are a bit strident.  I don't know if that will change over time.  Based on past experience, I'd guess the highs will smooth out, but bass may remain the same.

I will say that if that emotion continues to come through, I can look beyond some other shortcomings.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 05/12/15 at 21:50:18

Palomino,
I don't have the background, trained ears or poetic license to comment on the new cables except to say, I agree!
These are so much better than the old junk I was using.
So much so I bought a bit more so that I can biwire my speakers and I will most likely continue to use them un-terminated.
That extra arrived today so I can possibly comment on the effect after a few more days.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 05/13/15 at 14:15:32

I don't know guys, but with this new wire, listening time in the morning is expanding and exercise time is contracting.

I usually get 30-45 minutes in the morning to listen while I wake up and enjoy my coffee.  Everyone else is asleep and nobody can get to me.  No showers running, toilets flushing, fighting, requests for computer fixes, where's my shoes?, etc.

Anyway, for two mornings now I have gotten pretty lost in the music.  I am probably certified ADD and with computer based audio, I tend to flit around a lot.  I have been doing solid albums.

So, possibly I am in the middle of a grand delusion (which is quite nice, actually) or there is something here.  I bought more of the wire last night for the cottage system.  I am now into this boutique wire for 100 large (meaning bucks).

I think this is a job for the CDApS scrutinizer squad.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #38 - 05/13/15 at 14:17:18

Glad you are enjoying the benefits of exploring cables!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 05/13/15 at 14:20:41

Palomino,
Are you terminating the connections in any way or going naked?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 05/13/15 at 14:20:57

I am and I am enjoying it for a change.

I have you guys to thank.  I have now hit digital coax, ICs and now speaker wire and gotten a lift.

Part of the fun for me is doing it on the cheap so used gear and DIY is my preferred method.  The CDApS boys may do a Cable Company deal as well.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 05/13/15 at 14:22:22

I am totally nude.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 05/15/15 at 02:11:58

I've had the new wire and set up in bi-wire configuration now for a couple of days.
I cannot say what is making the difference:
a.) the simple doubling of the "amount" of wire feeding the speakers
b.) the act of separating the drivers at the speaker, or
c.) the combination of a.) and b.)
But the difference is very noticeable to even my old ears.
In the amount of time I have on them I would describe it simply as "speaker invisibility".
For the price this was quite an upgrade.

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #43 - 05/15/15 at 06:28:57

Palomino, listening to whole albums is the only way to go!  I have a goal this year to listen to 100 new albums, and so far I'm on track to exceed it.  Switching tracks can be fun, but to get lost in music, whole albums are hard to beat.

I might have to pick up some WE wire to modify the run I have from Rite Audio between my crossover and drivers.  My TWL wire is of WE heritage as well and this sounds like the perfect compliment.  I can take some off your hands Tom if you have too much.  :-)

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 05/15/15 at 11:38:25

Yeah total albums is the way to go.  Single song listening is like looking at only one corner of a painting.

But I have the ADD and TBI (time between interruptions) working against me.

I do like a good mix tape (showing my age).  Since I was in high school I have been doing them. 8 track, reel to reel, cassette, then cd and now playlist.  I believe these can be artfully prepared.

Still digging the wire.  You can try mine for sure.  I may also have some left from the cottage after I figure out those runs.  I'll know after Memorial Day.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #45 - 05/15/15 at 16:10:05

Quote:
I have a goal this year to listen to 100 new albums, and so far I'm on track to exceed it.

Palo, I think it might be time to let Rob in on my music collection.   Smiley

Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 05/18/15 at 00:46:04

I asked this earlier and didn't get an answer so I thought I would ask one more time:
Now that I have this wire and it's completely separate hot/return, I would ask for a recommendation on twisting the pair or leaving it separated, etc.?
I think what I have read says twisting speaker wire conductors will have no effect but I wonder about wrapping in close proximity or keeping the spacing between wires equal as a way to control capacitance?
If nothing else I suppose I will just tie-wrap the pairs together and see if it has any noticeable negative effect.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 05/18/15 at 14:15:52

I can't really say what the best way to run this wire is.  

When I was running the Zen Styx wire I thought it sounded better with them running parallel and that is how I am running the WE wire.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 05/19/15 at 02:08:34

Thanks Palomino,
That's the best answer I've heard.  ;D
Once I have the lengths optimized I will just tie-wrap the dual pairs together and see if I can tell any difference.
I'm still of the opinion these sound much better bi-amped than any speaker wire method I've tried, but of course my experience is very limited.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 05/19/15 at 17:03:54

I have found twisting to help wires that sound a little congested, especially mid bass down. Subtler up higher, it will heighten the sense of detail and micro dynamics articulation across the spectrum. But for me, when I like it, it is the bottom that points me to doing it.

I don't think this is my room, because I find the same effect in both my listening spaces. That most cable makers do it is indicative of something they at least theorize on, but in my experience, also hear...the good makers being into better sound supported by theory rather than the opposite.

That said, it depends in my experience. If everything else together with the wires is right without twists, then it is good. I think I tended to like the styx better untwisted too. And since these WE wires are pretty thin relatively speaking (likely to have less heavy/congested bass tendency), and have a shield (dealing with RF and EMF), they may not be inclined to low end congestion or interference distortions.

EDIT: Oops...looks like the WE wire does not have a shield. It will be interesting if twisting sounds better or worse. Being so little, the sense of warmth/musicality may be may be better untwisted.

A good test is a light duty twist about a foot apart, not imbedding it in the wire shape, but indicative of the effect to expect with more twists. The last pair I chose to twist was a rich and warm wire with gold and silver particles in oil surrounding pure copper. I ended up with maybe 2-3 inch twists on them and it really helped solve "smearing," to me, making a nice cable really nice. Good to my tastes for that wire.

Wink

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #50 - 05/19/15 at 18:55:42

Thanks Will.  I will put a few twists in to see what I hear.

I believe that the wire is only now starting to show it's true potential.  I don't feel there is congestion down low.   Some of the timbre/texture promise of the wire is coming through and there is more detail.  The soundstage was originally a concern and that has blossomed as well.  Overall, the best descriptor remains "musical."

This wire may just be some kind of audiophile freak of nature.  This weekend I will put it in my second system.

IP Logged
ozoid
Verified Member

Reply #51 - 05/19/15 at 19:19:50

I wasn't the one who started this thread with a link to a post from Positive-Feedback-Online.com writer Jeff Day's blog, but I read it regularly and comment occasionally. I too have bought some WE16GA speaker cable although I only have at present a PSB desktop system that's limited to its captive cables.

I posted this last night on the comments connected to Jeff's initial post about the WE16GA and the Belden 8402 and I thought those who are reading this thread might find it interesting.

It turns out it takes a stronger man than I to buy speaker cable with nothing to connect it to. So while the future listening room is still occupied (this is actually a very good thing, all things considered) I looked around my temporary listening space and concluded that there was a viable, if not quite optimal, way to fit in a pair of Omega Alnico monitors.

When I spoke with Louis, I mentioned the WE16GA and your experience with it. He immediately recognized the cable. I sent him the URLs for this and the Decware thread, as well as the eBay link, and he intends to buy some for himself. He uses a Swedish cable for the internal wiring and I decided to go with his stock wire. Then we discussed cabinets. I noticed that he occasionally offers non-standard driver combinations and cabinet sizes as one-offs, and he explained that while the market generally prefers a narrow baffle, he personally prefers the sound of a wider baffle. So following his expertise, mine will be 24″ H x 14″ W x 9.5″ D, rather than the standard 20″ H x 11″ W x 14″ D.

There’s no room for an MC-225 and an ARC SP6c, much less an LP12, so I’ve also ordered a 2-wpc Decware SET using a NOS Russian milspec SV83 output tube. (EL84s also work) Designer Steve Deckert recently re-designed the transformers so they’re flat to 80kHz. “There’s just more detail,” he explained to me. I’ve heard one of Don Garber’s X SETs several months after I heard the Decware, so I’m hard-pressed to describe the difference, but I liked both. The Decware is usually equipped with two inputs, but I’ve asked for one input converted to a second output, in case I choose to use my PSB subwoofer for a little extra low end.

The Decware can function without a preamp. unlike Garber’s X, and with more than a TB of music on the HD and less than 20 linear ft. of LPs, I can wait to bring the record player online.

Neither Omega nor Decware sell through dealers in the U.S., but Louis and Steve (I understand they talk on a regular basis) were very generous with their time so I was able to spend a few hours with each of them to listen to their equipment and hear them talk a bit about audio. Louis doesn’t have a real listening room, but a Chicago-area Omega owner was kind enough to invite me to listen to his Alnicos, using my MacBook Pro-Audirvana Plus-Meridian Explorer.

Among the great pleasures of returning to fine audio has been becoming acquainted with these dedicated audio engineers. (The characters assembled for the Garrard Project felt familiar) In addition to Louis and Steve, I’ve also corresponded with Paris-based Damien Plisson, the creator of Audirvana, for which I’ve lately served as a beta tester. I’ve read that Audio Research restores older models like my SP6c, and will even update them to some extent. Since the closest Linn dealer is outside Milwaukee, some Chicago-based audiophiles have identified a local LP12 expert who will revive my record player. And, of course, I’m looking forward to acquiring one of M. Beauvais’s restored MC-225s once everything else is in place.

Getting the cable first seems a bit strange, like my dad used to say about his alma mater, the University of Oklahoma: the school tried to be worthy of the football team. I think the Omega & Decware combo will match what you said of the WE16GA: “rich, musical, detailed, dynamic, and with a very good sense of timing, tempo, melody, that makes music sound very artistic, engaging, and dramatic.” It won’t be a Porsche, much less a Ferrari, but like a Mazda MX-5 in the Appalachians, it will be great fun.

Thanks to the proprietor (Art Dudley too) for helping me to focus on finding gear that can present recorded music like I imagine it can. Or at least assure me that I’m not crazy to think so.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 05/19/15 at 20:58:12

I`ve just made up a 4ft pair of sp/cbls out of the WE`s. It took all of 10mins. I shut the amps off and did it, put in around 10 twists each, went bare to the amps and used bananas with screw clamps for the speakers.
I put the same album back on, Cookin` M. davis.
Great ! Considering they`re new they lack in nothing but a bit of cleaning up through burn in.
Lively, musical, punchy bass a little boomy but the powers there to convey the big bass.
Now M. Knopfler "Trackers". His voice sounds more clear. Now I`m going to listen to the album.....

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 05/21/15 at 20:54:24

The grain which made them sound a bit dirty has gone now. I`ve just taken all of the twists out and the bass is tamer, so I`ll run them parrallel with some small lengths of heat shrink to keep them together.
For the money they are a masive bargain. I`m going to keep them in for a very good run and may keep them in. The treble, cymbals, aren`t quite there yet but they are far from run in.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 05/22/15 at 03:17:03

Hey Syd. Sounds good. Are you using a single 16#wire per connection, or two? If only one, it is interesting that the twists made such a small wire too bassy. Also, I have only noticed twisting to clarify bass, not make it boomy. It can seem bigger to me, but I have associated that with the increased impact from tightening it. Your experience makes me want to try it again and listen more carefully. It may depend on the wire too....sooooo many variables. Anyway, thanks.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 05/22/15 at 12:51:19

I was playing a jazz album Will, and the bass was boomy though moving air very nicely so I took all the twists out and put on a rock album, live K. Crimson. The bass was still coming through very nicely but seemed more controlled. I`m still waiting for the heat shrink to be delivered and when I run the two cables parallel I`ll still be able to put some twists in to experiment further. Just one WE 16g lead per terminal.
I originally bought the cable to make up i/c`s and have enough left for a metre pair and am waiting for 2 pairs of rca connectors.

As speaker cables they are brighter than my Isoldas but this could be that the slightly over-metallic zing to percussion is just due to their newness. They`re throwing a big picture or rather they`re not shy to show their stuff. Again, lively and dynamic.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 05/22/15 at 15:43:10

I found them a little bright at first. Now smooth.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 05/22/15 at 17:02:54

If parallel, I wonder what putting them 8-10 inches apart might do. Seems like a lot of folks do either this, or twist to limit interference... I used my Styx spread apart for a while, and suspended off the brick floor, so must have heard something....can't recall what or how much though. May be worth a little experiment to see if it does anything beneficial.

It seems to me spk cables tend to clarify a bit in the bottom and relax mids up with burn in...more open, smooth, and textured. I wonder Palomino... Do you think your somewhat loose bass has changed as the top smoothed?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 05/22/15 at 18:01:29

Bass has tightened up a bit which is weird.  Tuneful.

I just installed another set in my cottage system. Sounds really good right off the bat.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 05/22/15 at 21:08:13

I`ve taped the cables together at 4" intervals and swopped a smooth TFK 12AU7 into the ZP3. Sounds nice. I have put my EL34`s back in for a change so this would account for some  bass weight. Piano and sax have a bold presence and the percussion, well I`ll find an album that highlights it to see whats what.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 05/23/15 at 20:13:19

I`ve just ordered another 25ft. Now I can double up on the sp/cbl leads or run a pair as bi/wires.
I put the Foton 6p3s-E`s back in the Rachaels and everythings good again . Sit back and enjoy the music.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 05/23/15 at 21:30:57

As you may know, to bridge the Rachaels you join the +ve sp trmls with a length of wire. Some time ago I realised i could take out the input furthest away from the sp trms being used and the sound didn`t change. I dont know what went wrong but suspect it was from an ill fated attempt at bi wiring which left a blown power tube. Anyway, to compensate I joined both sets of sp trmls together +ve to +ve and neg to neg, just using a stiffish wire about 12g.
Same operation for the WE 16g.
Just now I took the 12g out and cut new lengths of the WE so that each sp cbl had a pair of wires joined to their ends which went to their respective pair of polarities.
I lowered the needle on a live Traffic album and OMG. Forget about soundstaging, stuff was happening all over. The guitar was almost behind me, top left and the rest of the band were in free form. The room was filled up.
Bit down to earth now with Bill Evans Waltz With Debbie, but it`s still the best I`ve heard it. Theres more intimacy, just more of everything.
These cables are making  a big difference in my listening.

I`ve just put Robert Wyatts " Cuckooland" on. Amazing. The rooms completely filled up with a 3D wonderland.
This is the sound I`ve dreampt of for 40 yrs.
Steve, you are a genius!!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 05/25/15 at 11:20:58

I think that during my on the fly wiring I managed to cross one of the speakers + to -. This resulted in the bizaar situation where the soundstage reversed itself from behind the speakers to in front. So I was sitting there as if in the middle of the studio with voices reigning down upon me.
I made all the joins good with silver solder carefully traced all the polarities correctly and now we`re back to normal. Or I think so. I`ll play one of the albums tonight which had the `reverse` effect.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 05/25/15 at 23:29:52

Hey Syd,

From your magical report I was wondering about a polarity shift. How are things going as the wires get some time on them. Also, do you think you can hear the silver solder? I suspect at least part of the idea is to make the ends more durable, but I was able to hear it when I added silver bananas to some cables I modded. The change was from copper spades on copper wire, and even though bananas are supposed to be a lesser quality connection, I could hear better sounding transmission.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 05/26/15 at 14:20:05

I can definitely say that these speaker wires sound even better with some time on them.  Highs smooth out and bass tightens.  Soundstage grows.

I put them in my second system this weekend and its the best I have heard that system sound.  I did too much pure listening to be analytical enough to describe what I am hearing.  Just very musical and "correct."

These are my speaker wires for now.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 05/26/15 at 14:28:54

I am going to continue to completely agree with the comments written here.
If nothing else, the value of these cables is going to be hard to beat.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 05/26/15 at 16:00:56

Pal, What is your previous reference?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 05/26/15 at 16:37:03

DIY Zen Styx terminated with silver bananas.

Admittedly, I don't have much experience here.  Prior to the Styx, it was DIY Canare 4S11 and prior to the Canare, it was some monster stuff.

I'd like one of you guys with higher end wire to give this WE wire a try.  They blog poster seems to like it as does his source, the Japanese amp designer.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 05/27/15 at 14:30:27

I keep meaning to do a more detailed, analytical analysis of this wire, but despite my best intentions, I end up simply sitting and listening.  It's not like I am dumbfounded by the detail, soundstage, etc.  It's just pleasant listening.

My only thought today is that is could be on the warm side of neutral.  If I ever get my butt out of the chair, I will swap back in the Styx to do a proper A/B.  The Styx may be better in terms of front to back soundstaging.  

If either turns out to be true, like I said before, I will likely choose to live with it given its other merits.

There is a CDApS meeting brewing that will either be at my house or I will take the wire to another members place.  That should give me another data point or two.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 05/27/15 at 17:20:51

I suppose I have higher end wire, the Townshend Isoldas. I allways thought these as being with me for life. Since the WE`s have been in place I`ve kind of forgotten about them except for making a mental note to compare them...one day.
Actually I`ve allready had the idea of making up my Nephews Christmas box with them and the MP3 downloads I`m accumalating. I`m sure he`ll find good use for 3m of good cable, he can throw out the old Rega cables he got from me.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 05/29/15 at 21:36:16

I`ve made jumpers for my speakers with the WE`s.
They`re replacing a thin gauge silver litz type.
More air in the bass and more authority.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 05/29/15 at 22:51:48

Quote:
I'd like one of you guys with higher end wire to give this WE wire a try.

Well I recently moved solidly into the "higher end." Though a good buy on used Synergistic Research Copper Elements, I had great sound, so it sort of surprised me that these cables "caught" me. But they use a really interesting combination of state of the art design, materials, and method, so I decided to give them an audition.

A cool blend of wires and tech, they have little tuning circuit "bullets." There is an active DC powered shield, designed to solve capacitance, EMF, and RFI. Best I can tell, the tuning circuits are a buffer between the shield and a ground wire, this ground wire being separate from the signal ground. So it appears not to be in the signal path, but you can hear the bullet changes quite clearly. One is more neutral and the other more open and extended. GEEKY, but the tuning potential is my kind of thing. They are warmish, extended, exceptionally revealing, smooth....and as best I can tell without noise, smearing, distortions....

I am thinking these SR cables will be hard to beat! Even so, you all jazzed my curiosity. Supporting a diagnosis of audio nutter, I am on day six of WE wires burning in in my workroom system.

I got enough to double up, making it 13 gauge. This wire may be the exception, but every time I have tried really small speaker wire, pulling less bass makes them revealing, but I miss aspects of the bass. After a few more days of running them continuously I will experiment with single runs, double, and also twisting.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 05/29/15 at 22:59:08

I will be most interested in your findings.  I have been intrigued by the Synergistics.

I twisted mine today to see if it made a difference.   I am not hearing anything different really.

I don't note any bass differences with this wire vs the 8 AWG styx.

I put Rachael in the system and its a little bass light, but more transparent.   Not as warm either.

I am wondering if the WE will be too light on the detail/too liquid for you.

As mentioned earlier, I try not to get too analytical with this wire.  More like a painting you just sit back and take in versus looking at all the brush strokes.  Still enjoying it.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 05/29/15 at 23:33:32

Looks like he has bumped the price up to $1.39 per foot on eBay.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 05/30/15 at 00:00:59

Your experience with these cables is very interesting. Twists not being heard would be a first for me, and a 16 gauge being as bassy as an 8 gauge also...but I am just fine with firsts! In my settings, as long as the bass is enough, less could actually be a benefit. And it seems "enough" is only a part of the feeling and sound of bass, each cable I try being different in its presentation.

The painting being the intriguing focus rather than strokes sounds good to me and says quite a lot. The reasons why seem more for other's reference rather than our own.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 05/30/15 at 13:18:27

Will, I am obviously smitten by this wire, so I'd discount everything I've said except the overall impression of musicality.  I have a hard time being technical about it.

Just this morning, I got up saying I was going to do some hard core A/B.  Didn't happen.  I settled in the chair and only emerged when nature called.  Maybe I'm just in my happy place.

On the blog, there are people that are getting different sound out of twists vs no twists.  I also think there are people experimenting with various gauges of the wire.

The ebay seller seems to be doing well.  When the blog broke, he had sales in the 10's.  Now he's in the hundreds of units and raised the price.  So there could be the lemming effect going on or people like the wire.

I anxiously await your impressions.  I just don't know if I am brave enough to read them.  I don't want to come out of my happy place Wink

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 05/30/15 at 16:54:18

That is so great Palomino! Being "captivated" by the musical experience, other intentions falling away, sounds like a "Zen" experience to me. My old teacher used to call it "merging subject and object," in this case, the distinction between the music and the one experiencing the music becoming vague or lost. Sweet acknowledgment for the name "Zen Amps," and your style of "Zen" System having been nurtured into a place that can provide your "happy place." Awesome!

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #77 - 05/31/15 at 13:28:50

Bought 60ft of the black this morning to replace my crossover leads.  Hopefully Palomino and Raven will lend a helping hand!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 05/31/15 at 14:37:52

I sling a little solder  :)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 05/31/15 at 15:23:33

I've been reading about the WE wire again...a dangerous thing...and have a question...maybe a dumb one.  Why 16 g tinned stranded.  There is Western Electric  copper solid core wire and also larger gauge wire available.  My reading has found some who believe the unique properties may be due to the cloth insulation.  Am I correct in assuming this isn't made of the super pure copper or OCC copper, etc....just plain old tinned copper strands...really old, from the 70's to the 90's.  I'm no longer skeptical about sonic differences between wires just curious about this WE wire.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #80 - 05/31/15 at 16:13:15

Some would say that cotton wrapped wire is the closest to "nothing but air".

16 AWG might be a sweet spot for that gauge and type of copper.

Add the two together and you might have something special.

That's my speculation at least. I've not tried this wire. I've got so much other stuff to address right now.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 05/31/15 at 17:20:09

LR,  actually the 26 strands of tinned copper have a plastic covering over which is the cloth outer cover.  See Pic.  I hope Pal is bringing his WE cables to your listening session so we can get two or three more opinions.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #82 - 05/31/15 at 17:32:13

Oh wow, so the cloth is only for show? That makes me wonder then...

I've got spools and spools of that stuff for guitar amp building. When I'm restoring a vintage amp that uses cloth wire, but the wire has become unsafe due to dry-rot, I replace it with stuff that looks just like that.

I'll have to pull a spool out and see.

The next CDApS meet is at Palomino's house today at 2pm. So we'll be hearing his wire probably exclusively.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 05/31/15 at 18:06:49

Good LR,  I'll look for your impressions of the WE 16g wire later tonight, before going to bed.  I'm still on the fence.  I've got so much Audio Crap around, I would hate to add more that would eventually end up in a storage box.  I've been using a pair of Nanotec speaker cables for the last 5 or so listening sessions in the Cave and have been very pleased.  The Zu Audio Libtecs I previously had, I discovered were part of my trouble with over emphasis of the High End.  The Nanotecs impart a warmer sound while still being quite detailed...just not as bright on some recordings as the Libtecs are.  So I'm curious about if the WE wire could be even better.  The reviews here have me curious, I have to admit.  Mark.

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/nanotec6/1.html

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #84 - 05/31/15 at 18:25:40

Maybe best you just enjoy what you have?

I too have boxes of audio stuff, left unused. So I know what it's like to want to experiment and learn. Unless you have time, and can afford to throw away money...maybe it's best to just enjoy what you have? See out bigger improvements rather than small tweaks that wind up in a box?

jeffiam
Verified Member

Reply #85 - 05/31/15 at 21:45:53

Thought same thing about vintage WE solid core and plastic coating i've seen. so the cloth is really not covering the tinned copper, is just cosmetics. thinking 14 ga instead of 16 ga?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 06/02/15 at 23:16:11

All I know is on Jeff's blog, the fellow sent Jeff the 16GA and other gauges are readily available.  I may have commented above that I found the higher gauges for sale in Asia and they seemed to garner a pretty good price as well.

Unfortunately, we did not A/B speaker wires at CDApS.  Nobody commented about the wire one way or another.  One exception was that Raven commented that some of the stridency he recalled from his last visit was gone.

For me, it was $50 so I figured, what the heck and gave it a try.

I may use the wire I bought for my second system to double up and see how that sounds.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 06/03/15 at 04:01:55

jeffiam wrote on 05/31/15 at 21:45:53:
Thought same thing about vintage WE solid core and plastic coating i've seen. so the cloth is really not covering the tinned copper, is just cosmetics. thinking 14 ga instead of 16 ga?

As far as the poll I'm assuming Solid Core = Yes ~ Stranded = No?

I've had better results with stranded and find that I get more micro details and trail reverberations than with the solid core wire and perhaps a bit more bass with the solid core.

I also find it interesting that it has a poly and/or plastic coating as I didn't really realize that.  I wonder if you post on Jeff's Place in the comments section and ask him to confirm that the stuff he used also had the same coating?

At any rate, people seem to be digging it regardless and for the price it has great bang for the buck factor IMO.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 06/03/15 at 08:33:54

The original pictures from the blog definitely had the white coating.  But I am not convinced it's a poly/plastic material as we think of it today.
If the wire was truly designed 60+ years ago the white coating could be made of a paper like material and/or natural rubber.
From the Certified Home Inspection website:
Quote:
Typically these are type RH conductors which are tin coated copper with a rubber insulation and a "cloth" covering. The tin keeps the copper from reacting with the rubber.

So the properties of this older "coating" are most likely much different than our standard "plastic" coatings of recent history.
By the way, I read it's unlikely you will find a lot of wire insulated with only cloth as it turns out cloth is a good insulator until damp or wet. Then it becomes a good conductor!  :o

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 06/03/15 at 11:09:59

I thought the poll was cloth (yes) or not (no). Thats my No.1 yes vote just because the cable is excellent and if you want to try other gauges and/or solid cores then go ahead but why the effort when the groundwork has already been done by those that settled on the 16g as the optimum a long time before we came apon it.
I also read that the plastic sheath is a rubber of sorts and probably is different to todays coatings and may add to the chacteristics.
Shame that the other colours dont seem available anymore. Half a dozen colours were made.
The source on e-bay says they`re from WE offices. How much can they keep finding? Google WE16g image search and all other sources are from Japan and asia. Loads of it....where do they get it from ?

My cables, after 30 hrs are sounding organic, balanced, alive.
Very quick as well. Listening to the last track side one of Santanas Caravanserai the bass player is playing 1/16ths or 32nds and I could pick it out easily as well as a antother guitair playing a couple of runs in the background.
Eric Dolphy`s `Out There`has incredible room cues of little echoes and trails. The most I`ve ever heard thus far.
I also find that there is an air of mystery to them. I put records on and wonder more about whats going on. It`s like getting caught up in a `happening`more than any cables I`ve so far used.
And....the Decwares are delivering.....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #90 - 06/03/15 at 15:28:27

Seems like one of you should bid on the WE
Cable Division tie clip now on the 'bay!

_57_004.JPG

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 06/03/15 at 15:36:57

Nice!

The guy selling the wire should buy it.  He's a bit of  fanatic.  He may already have one though...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 06/03/15 at 16:32:42

That's a relic from the past!
I remember my dad would receive a tie tack with fake stones in it marking every 5 year anniversary at his company.
After 47 years and 9 tacks they shuttered the place.
Maybe they ran out of CZ!  :)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 06/06/15 at 13:47:51

Well,  I decided to pull the trigger this morning after reading some of the posts here again but when I went to the sellers store he has shut down...no items for sale.  Apparently he is on vacation.  Anyway,  those who have been using this Western Electric 16g wire for a while, could you please give a brief note on your findings to date.  By my count there should be at least half a dozen here that have this in there system.  

I would vote in the poll but am rather ignorant on the subject.  I think the few speaker cables I've used have all been stranded with some kind of plastic covering...in the case of the Libtecs, then an outer cloth sleeve.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 06/06/15 at 15:40:24

All I can say Mark is that you wont be disappointed.

Meanwhile my 2nd length of cable hasn`t arrived yet.....didn`t know he was on vac...he must have posted it off  before he went.

Undecided    

Theres no print on the cloth and it looks so old that the cloth weave has left an imprint on the rubber. If you weren`t looking I`d buy it.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Western-Electric-Cloth-copper-multi-Wire-10Meter-16GA-...

What am I talking about theres more than one.
I`ll have a length thanyou !

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 06/06/15 at 15:50:25

That's either been used (who knows where) or been sitting exposed to "some" elements.
The wire I received from the vacationing seller looked pristine and matched the original postings. He had red and black.
Personally I would send him an email via Ebay and tell him you would like a notice on his return and that you would like to get x of red and x of black, etc., etc.
Unless you have zero decent cables already (and I doubt that) I would just wait. It's worth it in my opinion for the price.
The good stuff didn't have a single kink, fold or blemish to the cloth jacket.
So not only does it sound better than any of the old, cheap Monster cable I was using, it looks nice too.  :)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 06/06/15 at 16:48:04

Syd,  that yellow/green cable looks horrible...plus it's an Asian seller...Hope you're joking.  I wouldn't order it.

Core32,  I did leave a note with the seller.  I had his listings saved but they had been closed down and didn't allow an order to be placed.  Hopefully when he returns the same listings will reappear without another price increase.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 06/06/15 at 17:01:27

Mark, sellers are knocking WE cloth cable out that is pre 1900`s and looks as rough as a bears backside. .....and it aint cheap.
I cant wait to try it out !

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 06/06/15 at 17:20:16

Syd, if the wire was made with the same specs in the 80's and 90's why would some older be worth more?  Besides the seller most here have bought from is selling unused wire made in the 80's and maybe 90's.  I'll be interested if you've read the older wire sounds better and why...what properties are speculated to cause the difference compared to the newer cable/wire.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 06/06/15 at 19:49:46

Just put it down to how ennamoured I am to the 16g Mark.
Listening to Burell and Coltrane...it`s popping.
I wouldn`t imagine the older copper has magical properties or a placebo effect. I dont even know if the green cable is 50 60 70 or 80`s or whether the tooling altered or even if the older cables are held in higher regard.
So why buy it ? It`s dirt cheap, I have more `pristine` 16g on the way, so when I see green, not red, not black, I think OK I`ll have a pop.
They shouldn`t sound different...but will they.

Looking at mine now, they`re pink. Light red was one of their colours.   Smiley

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #100 - 06/08/15 at 00:59:46

Hey everyone,

I replaced the crossover leads on my OBs with the WE 16ga wire on Saturday morning.  The outgoing wire looked like 14-16ga stranded copper, so no drastic changes in construction.  However, I've already been very impressed with the changes I'm hearing.  It seems to bring more body and richer tone to the table, making the previous leads sound lean and tonally inferior by comparison.  Detail is the same.  This wire doesn't seem to overdo anything, and yet doesn't seem to lack anything.  We'll see how it settles in but I doubt it will regress in any way.  I loathe the term "musical" but what can I say, I wouldn't knock anyone who describes this product as such.  Even at $1.39 per foot, I think this is great value.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #101 - 06/08/15 at 17:06:23

Rob, did you run them parallel, or give them any twist?

ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #102 - 06/08/15 at 17:34:17

I ran them parallel at first, but ended up putting 25 twists in each 5ft pair.  I don't know if this is too many or not enough.  I researched twisting benefits and techniques prior to doing this and didn't find a good resource, except one AVS thread that basically said there's no reason to do it. (actually I find it difficult to find any AVS thread that supports anything we audiophiles typically do)  At least some twists would tidy up things behind the speakers.  In the end I did hear something but am hesitant to stick my neck out and explain it, but if I had to I'd say increased focus.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #103 - 06/08/15 at 18:44:41

I'm busy right now but wanted to give you folks an FYI.  I sent an email to the seller of the WE 16g wire when I found I couldn't buy it because the seller was on vacation.  As it turns out it's a father son operation with the father the boss...an ex-employee of Western Electric of 32 years.  The son is answering emails and taking orders but not filling them.  In other words, if you email and tell him what listing you want to buy, he'll reserve it for you.  I wanted a 128 foot coil of black WE 16g wire...the 129 foot coil I really wanted sold before I decided.  So if you know what you want...I'd place an order...if you change your mind, I guess it isn't really a binding buy so you could back out.

In my main listening system I've changed to a pair of  Virtue Audio Nirvana speaker cables that seem pretty good...I think the Nanotecs may have the edge though.  Both pairs are better than the Zu Audio libtecs they replaced.  Mark.

PS....I just sent another email to reserve a 19 foot coil of the RED...so I can make one set of speaker cables with the one Red & Black for each speaker.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #104 - 06/08/15 at 22:36:42

Quote:
(actually I find it difficult to find any AVS thread that supports anything we audiophiles typically do)

There is so much truth in that. I almost got thrown out of a thread for suggesting flash drive sounded better than a spinning disc in my Oppo Blu-Ray player. I wrote Oppo with my findings and they absolutely agreed with me and said it was all about jitter (which you know that I knew already since I'm always preaching it).

After posting my E-mail from Oppo, suddenly everyone in the thread ignored me.

I've had other forums say that Paul from PS Audio should be jailed for the snake oil he's peddling - and we'd be burned at the stake for our findings when we tested the two digital cables at Palo's house.

But then, I'm not a fan or believer of little pillows in corners as bass traps, nor magic stones that you place in your room or around your cables. Other forums at that end of the spectrum and they scare me as well.

At least here at Decware, when someone proclaims something, we listen and nod in appreciation of their findings - and maybe see if we can replicate it ourselves and/or research it more.

jeffiam
Verified Member

Reply #105 - 06/09/15 at 02:26:14

Has anyone tried these cables or lower gauge as power cords? looks others have tried it.

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #106 - 06/09/15 at 03:10:25

Quote:
But then, I'm not a fan or believer of little pillows in corners as bass traps, nor magic stones that you place in your room or around your cables. Other forums at that end of the spectrum and they scare me as well.

I still need to run some A/B with my Roomtunes "pillows".  I know you loathe them Eric Wink I installed them and noticed a lot less boom after testing one track, but haven't played with them since.

Speaking of bass, has anyone else noticed impacts to bass after twisting the WE wire?  My bass was so visceral this afternoon.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #107 - 06/09/15 at 12:04:39

I did not get a pickup in bass.  It started out soft for me, but then tightened up over time.  

Play cosmic hippo and let me know how the bass in that song sounds.  Maybe you'll still have a little memory of how it sounded on my system.

Of course you know I am seeking out other cables trying to get that sound from your coax (at a little lower price).

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 06/09/15 at 17:13:23

I burned in #16 WE wire (red outer "cotton" and white insulation) 190 hours in my workroom system. Then I put silver solder on the ends to make them easier to handle and protect the tinned copper strands. I had 8 wires, 2 -10' pieces/connection (2 x 16 = 13 gauge) for burnin.

I have been trying things in my main system for a week off and on with no ultimate conclusions yet, so have not commented. But there are questions in areas I have explored so maybe some feedback...My references are Synergistic Research Element Copper with UEF tuning bullets, Torii MKIV to HR-1s. This system is tuned with EQ, balancing what room treatments don't fully address, so the frequency balance is quite good... Since the bass is not over-saturating the sound, the differences in bass presentation from cables are pretty obvious.

With large single wires I have experienced distortions and smearing attributed to “skin effect” and interference, so came to appreciate an equal gauge made up of smaller wires, usually twisted, both contributing to cleaning up cable sound. As to ultimate size, it seems dependent on the metals used, insulation, wire length, geometry, connections...lots of things. Also, how much do speaker efficiency and impedance (4 ohm is twice as resistant as 8 ohm), and amp power play into optimal wire size? Since these can add up to big variables...“one size fits all” for ultimate sound seems unlikely.

I began with one WE wire per connection. Compared to the SR cables I lost signal...quieter from top to bottom, though the sound was nice...warm but open, friendly... comparatively, there was some midrange emphasis, sometimes revealed as hardness, clearest with loud horn parts. Being leaner, I missed bass power and tonal density. The HR-1s really start to sing with stronger power/signal. Also, to a point, the denser signal makes low volumes sound more complete.

Adding the other WE wire, now two per connection, the attenuation was not particularly noticeable...denser tonal delivery, more dynamic sound with deeper bass, more midrange power, increased upper mid/high presence...

Compared to the SRs the untwisted double WEs were still a little dark and undefined, especially low down, and still a little too much midrange emphasis for me; I suspected this was due in part to another issue, less fine detail to round out the edges; also less “black” emptiness, for sound to come out of. But the SRs went through loads of exploration using state of the art materials and tech, and the sound and price reflect that.

I twisted the WE for each connection pretty tightly...55 for the 10 foot run. Clarified across the spectrum, it was articulate and dynamic, but the midrange being clearer, partly from increased bass articulation reducing masking...there was too much mid edge for me, again hard to listen to some dynamic horn parts played loud.

So I took out about half the twists, now 24. This softened/warmed things nicely. Compared to no twists I hear a more open feeling, increased differentiation of instruments, more feeling of dynamics, and the bass/low mids are full with nice definition...also more fine detail.  

It seems these cables are a bit less about “transparency,” than atmosphere. Though portraying instruments quite nicely, aspects of detail, particularly fine detail, empty space, dynamic contrasts, and bass power/definition are the primary areas they don't come up to the SRs. But their interestingly revealing, sort of unique window into the music remains compelling.

The SRs sound warm and rich without a sense of a bass/low mid darkness, or any speed or detail sacrifice. Powerful bass, sweet mids, exceptional layered detail, differentiation throughout, and authentic timbre...They just seem to let it all through...no cable. I have not heard revelation/transparency to this level before...so an unfair comparator, but also a great objective.

That said, the WE share tonal similarities with the SR, nice definition, a bit warm, musical and revealing. I keep “reaching for” micro detail, but they are still revealing.

Then the synergy thing. Pal and Syd both seem to have great affection and no reservations, single wires clearly being very satisfying in their systems.

Not as easy for me the way my system and room are, but that “air of mystery” Syd described, I agree, they do reveal a lot of what is tucked away in the recording, pulling us into the musical event. The soundstage here is defined enough while having a slightly dreamy atmosphere from how the space between and ambience is revealed.

The tendency to mids being a little rigid, in part from missing textures from fine detail, are what I am working on. Since the twists seem good, I kept thinking, add some silver.

I had some 16 gauge teflon wire for a power cable....cryo'd silver plated stranded copper. I twisted one of these into each cable run, now 3 – 16s, or 11.2 gauge per connection. It is hard to say how this will end up, this wire being new. I found them bright and stiff at first, but with about 20 hours, they are warming/smoothing up. And I don't think teflon is that easy to burn in so imagine more smoothing and complexity to come.

Everything was brought closer to the SRs, further increased tonal density, better textures, more complete space, ambience and soundstage definition... and all else that comes with increased black, detail and detail complexity.  Interestingly, after some burnin, as I compare this configuration, they feel louder than the 2 WEs alone, more spacious and empty, with more dynamics. They are still slower and less quiet than the SRs, but quite good. The silver theory seemed to work, but I wonder too if it has something to do with another wire twisted in, a cleaner signal..... All these things point to less cable attenuation also. There is less hardness though still a little hard/rigid for my tastes. Just a little. I suspect this might smooth with more burnin on the silver/copper but can't say for sure yet.

I wonder about maybe a smaller silver on copper wire, or a length of small gauge pure/soft silver wire and extra sized teflon tubing for insulation with air. With 2 WE, I imagine this could really be good. Maybe even 3 WE 16s would be good.

Still exploring, no solutions, I put back in the SRs and feel some relief. Amazing cables here. I am not done with the WEs though. I think these wires have quite compelling traits, and for me, are worth digging in and exploring more.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #109 - 06/09/15 at 18:32:22

Thanks for the detailed comments Will.  

Your note about atmosphere seems most aligned with my thoughts.  I know and have heard more detail, but at a loss of some of that atmosphere.

Where are the SR's in the cost spectrum?  Usually their stuff is not inexpensive.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 06/09/15 at 19:23:46

Thanks Will, thats quite a run through and I`d have put the SR`s back in for a reality check and well earned rest . Back to base and an exceptional cable by the sound of it. It`s good to have a yardstick to  measure by.
I didn`t want to experiment further but will add 10 twists each to my 3ft pair this evening. Just strapping them together tightened the sound up so adding some twists wont hurt and may be discernable.
As you say there are many variables and I suspect if I tried the SR`s there`d be a lift in every dept.
It`s kinda funny, you mention horn accentuation. Yes I know what you hear. Now...I put that down to bite or attack and with the bite, quicker projection. It reaches the ears a little quicker from where the horn, or cymbal clash is on the sounstage. I dont know if thats good, more natural or something else.
Bass , pretty much album dependent. I have been getting very strong bass.
lol, I`m terrible, I`ll argue black is white.  Suffice to say the bass and horn observations are as I say and as you sum up they are intriguing.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #111 - 06/10/15 at 00:55:58

I have the WE with the silver on copper back in and am enjoying the sound. I need to see what happens once the teflon wire burns in. Also, I think I will order some smaller gauge silver. I think this revealing thing that can be a little hard might be an important part of the sound we like with these wires...and if the theory works, I hope more complex detail to feather those edges will bring things into a new level.

In direct comparison, these WE with silver/copper are more detailed than without the silver, but all else the same, still a little hard, warm, dense, and veiled for me. This is part of why I want to try some smaller, very soft pure silver, hopefully giving more complexity while retaining the WE vibe and opening these cables a touch due to less total AWG.

I could adjust around this with EQ, tubes, feet, etc, but it is nice to explore with the SR reference (though somewhat arbitrary), not adjusting much before the cables. And I can keep standard settings while opening these up with gain tuning, a bit less CSP3 in the blend, now that I am just listening. Sounds good!

My concerns posted above are clearly based on what I have come to need from my system/room, the same "issues" potentially being beneficial elsewhere. I liked the Morrow SP6 in part because they were not as bassy as some others...a system tuning tool...like less detail could be a good fine-tuning tool.

So far, I find that no cable is equal to any others though. And the quality of traits is massive in the equation, more so that how much of the traits they give us, be it detail, richness, bass...whatever. Also, my system/room has been tuned so long for "revealing transparency" that well done complex detail is beautiful.

Palomino.... The SR Element Copper come with 3 "Enigma" tuning bullets, the cables and tuning circuits now old news. Their new line is out, so these are less expensive now, the improved version being big bucks new...3500. I can't remember what mine were new, but I think over 2K. While auditioning these used ones, the seller sent along some UEFs, newer tuning circuits than Enigmas, saying they were an upgrade I would very likely like. And I did. The cable company has some demos like mine for 1100 and another 150 for the UEF bullets. Mine were considerably less, but you get the picture...

And these WE based cables have me wondering...can I make them comparable? Can't do the SR active shield and tuning bullets inexpensively, even if I could figure it out. And I have no doubt this is a big factor of the sophisticated SR sound...especially how their deep quiet makes everything so transparent. And adding some kickass bananas like the SRs would cost...and a run of silver wire in "air", that would cost...some nice covering and heat shrink to finish the cables...more expense. It would add up. But now that I am sucked into the exploration, I want to know how far I can take these! Stepping out from the super bargain of a single run #16 WE, no doubt, but it may well be a different level of a bargain.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #112 - 06/10/15 at 03:44:53

So I got to wondering about solder sound. I cut it all off, re-stripped, and twisted. I think it made a difference...a little more revealing with a bit more texture, ambient info, shimmer, etc. It is hard to compare cables when there is work time to change something, but I think this is real Smiley

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #113 - 06/10/15 at 16:35:34

Hello Will,

I am glad to hear things have improved for you.  I am beginning to witness some of the "hardness" you speak of in my own configuration.  I do not know if I noticed this on my own, or because I read your report.  I suppose it doesn't matter.

Strangely enough, I have my four 5ft spans twisted as tightly as you had originally (55 twists over 10 ft), with 25 twists.  I also run sans solder.  I do not like this hardness very much; once noticed it becomes bothersome and artificial sounding, quite opposite of the sound I strive for.  I will reduce the twists when I get home tonight and listen to see how much it recedes.  As it is now, this sound is very reminiscent of what I hear when I place SV83 tubes in my amp over the 6P15P.  Needless to say, I'll never use the SV83s.

If I can soften the mids, I won't have gripes with this cable (especially for the price).  It may be inferior to very expensive cables such as the SR Element Copper, but compared to my stock crossover leads supplied by Rite Audio (fka My Audio Cables) this is a step towards my preferred sound: real timbre, tonal density, rich-but-not-bloated with no loss of fine detail.  The kind that is appealing emotionally and not intellectually.

I'll keep listening as the cable gets more hours and report back.  However, it seems the forum has well characterized this product already.

Rob

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 06/10/15 at 18:23:02

Will, I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about but I made some speaker cables using dead soft pure silver in oversized Teflon jackets.   I followed this site: http://www.laventure.net/tourist/cables.htm

The idea of using oversized Teflon is that it protects the wire while acting like air.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #115 - 06/10/15 at 21:59:59

Hey Rob,

With your short runs it would be pretty easy to explore different twists. I was happy enough with about 2.5/foot so did not try other arrangements. Could be cool to fine tune. I will explore more when I get time. As I listened more after cutting off the WBT silver solder, I am confident it is better....more fine detail and fluidity, and less dark density.

Archie, Yes, that is what I am talking about doing. Over-sized teflon and soft silver wire. For some reason the link did not work for me, but this one does.

www.laventure.net/tourist/cables.htm

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #116 - 06/10/15 at 23:05:00

I got round to comparing my Townshend Isoldas to the WE`s this evening. One whole album and 5 tracks on different records.
The Isoldas come in around $800.00 2m and $1600.00 3m.
The Isoldas played the album and tracks first and the WE`s were swopped in after each take.
They are different.
Half way through the album the Isoldas warmed up and I forgot the WE`s. John Martyn and crew sounded great again, the way I remembered. A feature bass player and delicate interesting drums and other arty touches. Layers. Lovely.
WE`s would have a job.
Staight off there was more air to Martyns voice. Easy to notice. Cymbals sounded thinner but more metallic. Now it gets tricky. Bass was all there when you listened for it, same for drums, and when there was a pronounced wallop on the bass tom you could hear the timbre and air. Then the WE`s did their stuff. The music started coming from everywhere but was all seperated. It was like pop ups of detail, female harmony, drum rolls, then the bass does something, then theres a guitar drifting in and out. Not politely held together like the Isoldas and presented
Then a track by B. Evans. Nice and polite from the Isoldas. WE`s had the odd harmonic coming from the piano sustain that Isoldas didn`t pick up. Bill sounded livelier. Backing drums were both good but again the cymbals had more realistic tang on the WE`s. bass was good on both, the Isoldas more polite. The WE`s more gritty.
I thought I`d try some hard Coltrane and cued up side one of "Live at the Half Note"
The Isoldas again polite, and Coltrane sounded not as he should. The instruments drop out one by one and he goes int his `sheets of sound` for a long solo. The Isoldas made him sound not really up front enough. WE`s he was louder, more the right ring to his sax.
Then it occured to me what the WE`s were doing. They had removed a veil. Yes that old veil we thought we were all finished with.
All made sense.
More air to the voice, cymbals not so thick, more detail, Coltrane up front and searing.
Last up JJ cale. Cajun Moon. Isoldas lovely, very nice. WE`s just get into it more. More live more air.
The WE`s aren`t the last word in bass but the bass lays down a floor better so you get more atmosphere. Mind you JJ`s bass player is sounding pretty good. He must want me to take notice.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #117 - 06/11/15 at 00:39:40

Will, your link took me to mine.  I made speaker cables using 14ga 99.9% pur silver, dead soft.  I got the Teflon and shrink from McMaster Carr.  All said it was about $250 for the pair of 10 ft speaker cables.  I'm happy with them but I didn't do any A-B testing.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #118 - 06/11/15 at 00:45:31

Archie,
For some reason your link has a ftp:// in front of it when you click it.
I had the same problem as Will and noticed the error in the actual link called by the one posted.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #119 - 06/11/15 at 01:05:55

I must have done something wrong when I cut and pasted the link.  Thanks for pointing it out.  It's an interesting sight but his informaton about speaker wire doesn't jive with the experience of many here who are having great results from thinner gauges and multi-stranded wires.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #120 - 06/12/15 at 19:38:49

Always one to have a go when the price is right I just ordered 50ft of 30g .999 silver wire. Just got to find the cotton tubing at a good price.
Archies link and as Will thinks a touch of silver. I dont know where it`ll lead.
It`ll keep me out of mischief.... Smiley

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #121 - 06/12/15 at 22:16:43

Syd, According to what I've read you'd be better off using oversized teflon tubing instead of cotton but I don't know the effective difference.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #122 - 06/13/15 at 00:38:50

Archie, I read that the dialectric for teflon is 2.0 and cotton 1.3. Oversize teflon would be more air....the wire has more room, the room being air.
The cotton costs more than the silver wire !
Still dont know why I`m buying it but for £16 for 50ft it`s worth trying something.
i/c`s could back on the menu as well.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #123 - 06/15/15 at 03:48:29

Looking forward to your findings Syd. I ordered some silver wire to experiment with also. A few weeks maybe with the teflon coming from Taiwan.

I found the WE and silver plate pretty great on some recordings and good on many, but that mid hardness "bite" became overwhelming. I took out the silver plate wire, and that was nice too, but the rigid thing is under my skin now and I had to give it a rest. I am looking forward to playing around more with some soft silver in the blend.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #124 - 06/15/15 at 20:23:42

I went for some cotton sleeving Will. Two lengths of this. It`s a bit wide but I think it`ll be ok, and the silver can breath. I might even get teflon inside it if it`s too floppy. I`ll have a look for 5ml teflon. Just got to be carefull of kinking.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120705040811?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=S...

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #125 - 06/15/15 at 22:22:24

I am not getting this mid-range glare.  Perhaps because I am also using the Belden ICs??

After listening to this combo (WE 16g and Belden) in my second system, I am going to make up another set of these.  

I also experimented with using the Belden as a coax cable.  I liked what I heard, but want to try the same thing in my main system.

IP Logged
DrN
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #126 - 08/02/15 at 23:43:37

All quiet here now?

I must say I have been using the single run WE16ga and 2 pairs of the Belden 8402/Switchcraft in my system for the last month and has not sounded better. For a grand total of $110 for all of it. Quite amazing. I pulled at least $4k+ in WyWires from my system.

Pathos Classic One MKII, CA Emotion, CMB Satisfy Carbon Arm, AT AT33PTG, Heed Quasar Phono, Chord Qute HD DAC, Usher CP6371

Pathos Classic One mkll Usher Cp6371 CA Emotion CMB Carbon Satisfy Arm Falcon PS Heed Quasar AT33PTGII Cambridge CXC Schiit Yggdrasil Itona Curious link
WE16ga SC Belden 8402 Int Wywires Litespeed SPDIF Juice "Silver" Series SC and interconnects out for now
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #127 - 08/03/15 at 13:02:36

Yes kind of quiet.  I have just been listening.  I put we wire and belden in two systems and have been listening to them both and haven't felt the urge to change anything in a while.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #128 - 08/22/15 at 21:51:27

I thought I'd come to this thread and see if there was anything I hadn't read.  Everyone here reports loving the WE 16g wire.  Well, I tried a 10 ft, loosely twisted pair of red/black and was totally underwhelmed.  It's been a while but as I recall the bass was thin and treble/high midrange was edgy.  And as some know, I have a particular aversion to a hot high end.  No, I didn't allow a proper burn in...I didn't see how they could improve enough to please me.  I was hoping to find the Holy Grail for 43 Bucks...maybe next time.

Anyway, what made me think of this thread is that I have re-purposed the WE 16g wire.  Today I used it to hook up my Omega Deep Hemp Sub to the Torii MK IV in place of what I'd been using that didn't allow for a solid connection of the spades of the Nanotec cables I'm currently trying.

So is everyone still GaGa over the WE?  Or have some of you tired of it and moved on?  Mark.

PS...reading some of the older posts, I see quite a few are using the belden interconnects with the WE wire.  i'm using Steve's DSR II between the CSP3 and the Torii MK IV and a Grover's ZX+ between the ZP3 and CSP3...maybe that has something to do with my experience.  Regardless my investigation into the WE wire is over.  They are happy where they are now.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #129 - 08/23/15 at 02:04:55

I am still using both the Belden and the WE wire.  Haven't been tempted to change.   I bought some more to wire a new boombox this winter.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #130 - 08/23/15 at 02:59:29

Still using the WE16 for speakers, bi-wired, down to 5 foot runs from the bridged amps.
I doubt I will change it out since it sounded so much better than my older wire and my ears aren't as picky at 60 as they used to be....  :)

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #131 - 08/23/15 at 03:53:02

In our incredibly complex system/rooms, I guess if a wire, or any other part of a system/room, is not quite neutral, whether it is great or not depends on everything else.

For reference, old saw, but my system/room is tuned to be very revealing, Decware gear sounding notably more open and transparent than stock, with amazing micro detail, inner detail, and speed, but also beautiful body, articulate and natural bass, and a subtle and sweet warmth. Emotional involvement is not a choice for me, demanding a lot to arrive at a “natural” and “real” sound that makes us forget the system.

The sound I love is "alive" ....tone, timbre, ambience, etc like the players are here, the recording “room” integrating with this room, these walls contributing to the beauty though they also disappear. Recording anomalies like studio reflections, over-compression, etc show up, but that is background, the instruments and voices across a great range of recordings sounding very real. The CSP3  and gain riding with the amp heightens openness or density where necessary while contributing the CSP spacial beauty and tonal density.

Having needed sooooooo much experimentation and work to get here, I am guessing this level of revealing without hardness may be relatively unusual. I think I sort of stumbled into it, but enough very fine information tempers hardness/edginess without losing the beauty of speed and natural complexity. And my source has always been amazing with micro detail, complexity and texture, never sounding “digital” or “Redbook” or whatever many complain about with 16/44 material. It just sounds like music.

That said, there is a range that works within this, and once outside it, even subtle mid/high and high end hardness, or overly darkish density can disturb the balance and weaken the magic.

The way I have things tuned, I would not call my system unforgiving, but being this transparent and revealing, everything does show.

With a single strand of the WE wire, I got attenuation across the spectrum with loss especially on the low end notable compared to any other cables I have used. Also, there was accentuation in the upper mids, particularly the "presence" areas and around 8K. These can be really nice accents for live sound depending on the rest.

Two WE wires solved the attenuation for the most part, deepening bass and speed, but also added power to the upper mid/low high hit. In the end, the WE wire was too tricky here, really nice on some recordings, not so on others, generally getting a little irritating after a while.

But I was seduced by the special and spacial tonal qualities, enough to try to make some cables that utilize, but also fill out the WE sound. It has been a lot of time consuming experimenting, with more to come, but what I am listening to now is really, really good...I like what I hear so much I haven't done but several relatively low key A/Bs with my reference Synergistic Research Copper Elements along the way, but these new cables stand up very well in those minimal comparisons. Intrigued by these new cables as they come out, I don't crave going back to the Synergistic Research.

But they became complex, the WE now two of eight wires per channel, with the addition of pure copper, silver, and titanium strands, each with air dielectric... oversized teflon. Also pure silver on copper bananas. I think I got lucky with wire choices, and found a really good twist pattern for the blend. They are no longer cheap or easy, but the sound is beautiful…maybe the best I have heard.

I have more wire and teflon coming soon to try a variation on this theme, hopefully taking this exploration further into the magic!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #132 - 08/23/15 at 09:59:23

I`m still using the WE16g as main speaker wire, about 4` runs, untwisted but side by side using small heat shrink pieces to hold the two lengths together. Totally satisfied with the sound and thank god I wont have to be tempted into trying different cables even though there will be cables out there which may make me ponder and therefore perhaps get into sp cbl rolling. aaargh, no thanks. I have another 30` wrapped up unopened.
I did find the Belden cable but the shipping is more than the cable.....but not totally out of the ball park so it`s one for the future.
Yeah the WE is a cabl that has left the music to flow. The price is immaterial but a very satisfactory outcome.
Mark, it`s not for me to imagine how a `hot` sound can actually sound in the biting treble region though I kind of get it. Whenever I do get some piercing stuff I say to myself that thats how the engineer wanted it etc, etc. When Miles drills into me, and I guess your Chet Bakers horn, it would be as at a concert. Those splashy symbals can be a pain on some recordings. Those I just have to suck up till hopefully the next track eases up a bit. Having `super` def tweeters ; on paper I`d love that but in pactice I dont know. I thought all tweeters went high and loud.
If it were happening to me to the point of distraction I might try some thin foam over the front of the tweeters. I know some of you use different resistors somewhere in the circuit which has me very slightly bemused.
I`m only putting in my twopence worth as I know the WE`s should be good for all, being smooth and neutral.
Syd
Smiley

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #133 - 08/23/15 at 13:51:39

I haven't had much external validation on the WE wire other than Raven and ProggRob did not say it sounded bad.  They just didn't really take notice of it.  Perhaps that' a good thing, but I was looking for them to give it the "musical" label I have been using.  

That said, they were coming from listening to their respective rooms and my room is a different animal, so you start out by taking in all that is different in before you start forming opinions on other stuff.

Another CDApS is brewing so maybe we will do some wire experimentation.

I do think there is a combination effect with the Belden that helps to produce the sound.

Inquiring minds want know Will, but realize these things take time.

Also, if anyone wants to sell their WE wire, let me know.  It seems they are now only selling the stuff from the 90s.  It may be every bit the same wire, but I'm not sure.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #134 - 08/23/15 at 14:15:02

Syd, I don't know.  Maybe I'll give the we another try sometime.  How long did burn in take or was the WE wire immediately pleasing to you.  I think I've come to the conclusion that copper wire maybe with a little special sauce is what I need.  I've been making tube and cable changes so at this point it's hard to say what is causing what but the Nanotec cables that Will loaned me seem to be closer to what I need. They are copper dipped in shark liver oil that's got a tiny amount of Gold and silver particles in the oil suspension....they come in two different cooper formulations one is for the Hot leg. I still need to try them in my second system.

Will, your capacity for experimentation amazes me.  Anything more than a tube roll is a major under taking for me taking days, weeks or sometimes months of saying I'll do it before it happens.  So you have for each speaker...one pair of WE wire like me, then you add 6 other wires of various metals? Those must be some Garden Hoses.  One question...these nanotec cables, what is the Gauge as used?  After your post here last night, I read some of our prior correspondence.  I just want to thank you for your generosity and patience.  Until later folks,  Mark.

PS...Just thinking out loud here.  I think my goal is to have a relatively inexpensive speaker cable that does not accentuate the high end as silver may do.  I also want to retain detail and have adequate bass performance...I would consider this what folks here call a "Neutral" or "Balanced" speaker cable...correct?

I may also need to consider trying interconnects that are mainly cooper.  I thought I liked Steve's DSR IIs but they are all silver.  The Grover Huffman interconnect I  recently acquired, when it replaced the DSR II between the Torii and CSP3 didn't seem to make things better for me....maybe even worse.  I put the Grover between the ZP3 and CSP3...replacing a copper, Zu Audio Gedes interconnect.... it seems to do well there.    

On the Grover interconnect...it contains copper, silver and aluminum ribbons so this may explain my impression.  Below is from Grover's web site...

"A New Revolutionary Design, pure copper, silver and aluminum ribbons suspended in air tubes. Eliminating all skin effect.

Utilizing my custom passive Carbon, Tungsten, Nickel shield that Electro-magnetically focuses the signal minimizing distortion, and interference."

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #135 - 08/23/15 at 18:16:11

Mark,

I don't think I ever knew what the Nanotec's gauge was, but I am guessing they may be between 13 and 12 gauge from memory, quite a bit more wire than the 16 gauge WE.

Having the same amp, CSP3 and speakers, I think I have a good sense of your issues, but hard to say for sure. I figured the Nanotec's might solve them, softening the upper mids without fine detail sacrifice, bringing up the warmth and weight on bottom, and adding not brightness, but detail complexity that is softer and more natural compared to the ZUs.

Who knows, but I think of neutral as not biased in any way, having the whole of the frequency range in balance, and.....without attenuation or accentuation overall, or in specific areas. I don't necessarily think of this as the holy grail, but it is a good reference for a system, and for describing based on a given standard while trying to move one way or another to balance a system.

The Nanotec frequency balance seems quite even and complete, but as a whole, I would say they are biased toward warm. I think of "warm" as darkish, but also having fine detail complexity that is not hard. To me, the combination of silver and gold particles in the copper strands was an artful solution to creating a warm cable. Rather than just "Dark" (opposite of bright), my guess is that the copper's natural warmth is likely enhanced by the gold's variant of detailed warmth, and fine detail in balance a "dark" cable might not have, is balanced "out of the darkness" by the silver particles.

I think how a cable sounds has to do with so many variables beyond the metal types; the purity, hardness and structuring of the metals, the dielectric, plated or not, and the quantities of each metal in the balance... any one of these can individually or collectively contribute to making or breaking a chosen balance. So I don't think "silver" or gold, or copper are good or bad, each can be either.

Those other cables I sent you I found more neutral in general, though biased with a big, but articulate bass, and open without upper end hardness. With your bass weakness and upper range issues of the time, I thought these might really pull in more body and depth, hopefully with detail that does not hurt. Figured both would solve the "hardness" effect from the ZUs, just not sure which would be better there.

Yes, the cables I am working on have 1 WE of 4 wires per connection, 8 per speaker (2 of the 8 WE). Since I am still experimenting, I have not put a cover on (making them one cable per side) but I don't think they will look very big. None of the wires are big, I think the current aggregate being about 13 gauge. I got some 1/2" expandable sleeve for them and doubt it will need expanding.

I was wondering if you might benefit from an IC change too.

I find the Grover ZX+ very revealing, and neutral in terms of tonal balance, but a little bit "powered up," like the wire is a little big...a little bit too much signal for my IC tastes. Or maybe it is the aluminum, I have not experimented with it. But I would not call them totally neutral do to this tendency to being a little forward and articulate. Too general, but depending on everything else, it seems ICs are a place where some attenuation might be right and signal wire size (with all else equal) can effect this. But then so can the wire shape it seems, and the ribbons used in Grovers theoretically utilize the wire without skin effect, so perhaps more signal with less wire??? Too many variables to generalize, however, these have a little too much push to the sound for my primary ICs in my system.

But I like to use them between the Tranquility and the CSP3, seemingly leaving nothing out, then my DIY VHAudio silver recipe, (to me very neutral and complex, like no cable) between the CSP and MKIV.

I have not used Decware silver ICs for a long time, but I recall them as pretty neutral in terms of signal intensity, but quite open, articulate and sparkly in the upper range (good micro information), pretty natural mid-mids, and a little on the dark/less articulate side lower mids down... compared to other cables I have used, these were not quite neutral in tonal balance, to me accentuating the top and bottom some.

Palomino's experience with the Beldon's musicality makes me wonder if those might be good in your system.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #136 - 08/23/15 at 18:45:21

Will, you have a knack for putting into words what I have experienced.  I really like the Nanotecs and think they'll be a winner.  I tried the Nirvanas in the Main system and didn't like them as much as the Nanotecs...they were brighter, edgier than the nanotecs.  I eventually put the Nirvanas in the second system and with the Zu Audio Souls they seem to do OK although I wouldn't call it an improvement over the Zu Libtecs.  I think the real test of the Nirvanas will be using them with the pair of Omega Alinco 7XRS speakers that are also in the second system.  The omegas have an extended high end that I have to tube roll a bit to tolerate. I also need to put the Nanotecs in the second system and try them with both speakers.

In regards to the Grover ZX+ interconnects...you are spot on in your description.  I hadn't been able to put my finger on it but you did.  I would describe them as being pushy and in your face compared to the Decware DSRs...this is your "Powered up and forward".  Putting the grover's between the ZP3 and CSP3 doesn't seem to cause this effect.  But I can't say that I like them better than the Zu Gedes...I'd have to put the gedes back in without other changes to figure it out.  

In regards to the belden interconnects, maybe but I don't do DIY work.  They are all cooper, right?  That's enough for now.  Thanks again,  Mark.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #137 - 08/24/15 at 15:49:37

The Beldon wire in this discussion is like the WE wire, tinned copper. I think your experience with the Grover and Decware cables illustrates what I was touching on in terms of "copper" or "silver" or any other metal...that sound depends on a lot more than the broad metal category/name. Just think of all the types and gauges of copper we can buy, and all the ways we can use them, not to mention dielectric, connectors, solder, etc. Though many blame silver as cool, forward, and bright or whatever, in your illustration, the Decware silver cables were less "pushy and in your face" than the Grovers.

Though I have not explored many copper ICs, I found early anticables and Reality cables both toward forward and hard compared to many silvers I have heard, especially my pure silver favs ...the VHAudio DIY...a different league for delicacy, nuance and neutrality.

I also have some homemade copper ICs made more like the VHAudio silver recipe (my reference), with thinner wire in a helix around cotton in this case, and the "copper" is pretty neutral and friendly though they have less tonal breadth and subtle information than the VHAudio silver DIY.

This is not to say there are not character qualities with metals, or that silver sounds better than copper. It is just to say, it all depends!

Then there is tin on these wires and many love them! It is all pretty vast to me.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #138 - 08/24/15 at 22:18:41

Mark, I have not heard these Beldon/Switchcraft ICs, so can't say how they sound to me, but I found a place you can get ready-mades. The ones tested in the article Beowulf linked way back when look like they have the gold/nickel RCAs. http://btpa.com/IC8402-XX.html

From Jeff's Place: http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=7325

"The Switchcraft SWC-3502A’s were not available from Yazaki-san’s parts provider, but the Switchcraft SWC-3502AAU’s were, so he used those. The Switchcraft SWC-3502A and Switchcraft SWC-3502AAU are essentially the same plug: they have in common a brass center pin, plug housing, and handle; with a nickel-plated center pin, plug housing, and handle on the 3502A; and a gold-plated center pin & plug housing, and nickel-plated handle on the 3502AAU. I thought the gold plated pin & plug housing with nickel handle made for a very attractive combination with the brown Belden 8402 microphone cable. I really like the Switchcraft SWC-3502AAU RCAs."

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #139 - 08/24/15 at 22:23:10

PS. I ordered some wire and RCAs to make some. Couldn't help it. Wink

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #140 - 08/24/15 at 23:20:31

Will,  I'll be interested in your impressions. Does putting these together involve soldering?  I see having them assembled doubles the price but for a pair the price is still relatively low...about $65.  Mark.

PS...I just read the post before the one above...I think... no, I know you are right.  I have only tried three different interconnects...DSRs, Grovers and zu audio gedes.  I think during my next session I'll replace the silver DSR with the cooper gedes and see what happens.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #141 - 08/24/15 at 23:35:27

+1 on Will giving these a listen.

It requires soldering.  Nothing too difficult.  Cutting the outside jacket, twisting the braided shield, stripping the + and - wires and then soldering the three to the switchcrafts.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #142 - 08/25/15 at 00:38:15

Yes, I look forward to hearing the Beldons.

Mark,

At that store there is a minimum of 12 feet of the raw wire @ 39. With the four nickel/gold RCAs and shipping it was about 62. If I like them, I have enough wire for another pair, but if not the ICs were still 62....

If I had bought a made up 3 ft pair, it would have been about 78 shipped here (14.40 shipping).

Sounds like a good IC test. Hope the Zus are better than the Libtecs. Those were the first speaker cables I have tried that I just could not learn to like. I guess it makes sense they could be good with your Zu speakers though.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #143 - 08/25/15 at 01:39:36

Well Will, I am playing an Analogue Productions reissue of Monk's Criss Cross to compare the DSR with upgraded connectors and the zu gedes.  Since my CSP3 has two stereo outputs I'm able to connect both and use the toggle switch on the Torii. So far on one song there is little difference between the two.  In fact, I had switched back and forth to the point I didn't know which I was listening to and had to disconnect one to figure it out.  Next I'll play a music matters blue note reissue that is a bit hot with lots of cymbals...maybe then differences will be more evident.  I like both equally at this point.  Mark.

PS...listening to a Music Matters LP with the very busy Elvin Jones on drums and again, I can't tell the Gedes and DSR apart.  But what is most notable is that even though the cymbals are plenty they are not too hot...very pleasant. So the recent changes appear to have ameliorated my high end problem.  The most recent changes...Nanotec speaker cables, a 60s Amperex Holland made 6299 input in the CSP3 and a 60s Mullard 12AX7 in spot #1 of the ZP3.  Oh and I put the grover ZX+ between the ZP3 and the CSP3 but I seriously doubt that toned things down.

I don't think I need to mess with interconnects at this point, which is good since I've got a bunch of Steve's DSRs.  But I probably will still try some different ones when they  pop up at the right price.

Next I will try some Miles Davis.  He has some hot recordings.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #144 - 09/07/15 at 23:01:14

Bumping this up, Jeff has now made interconnects using the WE 16GA and has mentioned that they are more transparent then the Belden.  He has a really great step by step process on how he made his.

Click here: http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=7997

IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Reply #145 - 09/09/15 at 15:31:33

Just bought some of the Belden 8402 interconnects provided in the link a couple of post back and am about to purchase some of the WE off ebay,  I'm stoked to give it a listen and see what I think.

NAD 516/316 - Klipsch speakers. Complete cable looks by belden, kimber, monoprice.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #146 - 09/09/15 at 20:23:34

I am going to make up some 1M interconnects using the WE 16 wire and compare them to the Belden.  

I am still liking the Belden ICs with the WE 16g speaker wire.  I liked this combo from the beginning but I sense it has become better over time (or I have just gotten used to it.)  Its always been musical, now it seems a little smoother as well.

IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Reply #147 - 09/09/15 at 23:38:38

So I couldn't find what I wanted in the vintage WE wire so I bought some Blue Jeans cable from Belden.  If it sucks then its no big loss.  If its any good...

NAD 516/316 - Klipsch speakers. Complete cable looks by belden, kimber, monoprice.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #148 - 09/10/15 at 09:58:17

Kboe, I found the belden cable here..http://btpa.com/CA-0582.html.
Not a bad price but double for shipping overseas costs.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #149 - 09/10/15 at 11:57:18

Kboe,
This is the guy I bought my WE 16GA cloth wire from.
Looks like he is finally running out, or he is holding back a bit to get a price increase.
I bought some red and some black for my speaker cables.
It all came shipped quickly and in great shape.

http://stores.ebay.com/Jake-s-old-Western-Electric-Stuff/16-gage-wire-/_i.html?_...

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #150 - 09/10/15 at 12:12:40

That is the eBay seller I have bought from 3 times now.  Answers questions, quick shipping.  Fair price.  He has raised it $.20 per foot since people heard of this wire but still within reason.

IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Reply #151 - 09/14/15 at 22:48:33

Well I got the belden speaker cable.  I'll report on Thursday if I like it.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #152 - 09/14/15 at 22:49:52

Give it a little time.  I liked it right off, but like it more now.

IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Reply #153 - 09/14/15 at 23:17:01

Well my stuff is current production belden from blue jeans.  I've got some top shelf cables now so I've got a really good reference for good sound.

IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Reply #154 - 09/18/15 at 03:05:08

First off these cables have a great feeling to them.  They're supple and feel great in my hands.  The sound is great with no burn in.  They are TONE MACHINES!!!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #155 - 09/18/15 at 03:21:32

It's always good to find something that gives you a boost.  I wrestle with whether tone trumps detail because I like both but right now I am in the tone camp.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #156 - 09/19/15 at 00:01:56

try some Mogami cable with Keith Eichmann bullet plugs... it will likely upset your understanding of boutique wire....

the connector and how the wire is connected to the connector is more important than the wire itself, as long as you use wire that meets well established electrical specifications for the transmission of audio signals between interconnected components.  

There's a reason Mogami cable has been the industry standard in recording studio's for decades.... Stop and think about it... cable designed to transmit tiny, minute, microphone signals over 10's of feet, in noisy environments, sometimes hundreds of feet.  Though those kinds of distances are handled wirelessly these days usually.

I've been up, down, across and around the world of boutique, audiophile approved wire over the past 35+ years... cables across the ranges of most well knowns, AQ, Kimber, Wire World, Goertz, Straight Wire long ago... blah, blah, blah.... too many to remember or enumerate here.  And even more I've never seen, nor heard.  There is no end to entities trying to capitalize on the insecurities of audiophiles when it comes to wire.

I will be the first to admit or agree that wire can, and does effect the sound I hear coming out of my speakers.  However, wire by itself, can only alter a signal that passes through it in a degrading fashion.  The goal is to alter/degrade the signal the least.  A wire cannot improve a signal passing through it.  Many boutique cables are actually designed to have "a sound".  They're passive EQ's in effect.  That's OK, if that's what you want, and you don't mind paying an 800-1000% markup over material & manufacturing costs.  But it seems to make more sense to use "accurate" wire, and spend your money on better components or components that more suite your taste than striving to alter the sound of your system with "wire" that costs more than the components connected on each end..... that's just not logical Mr. Spock.   just my .02₵

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #157 - 09/19/15 at 03:18:21

maddog07 wrote on 09/19/15 at 00:01:56:
the connector and how the wire is connected to the connector is more important than the wire itself, as long as you use wire that meets well established electrical specifications for the transmission of audio signals between interconnected components.  

How do you feel about no connectors?  Just naked terminations ... It wouldn't make sense to me that you could improve upon that no matter what the connector is.

IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Reply #158 - 09/19/15 at 03:21:47

More and more I tend to agree with Maddog's assessment.  Find something that sounds like it's doing its job and stop there.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #159 - 09/23/15 at 00:16:28

when I was talking about connectors in an earlier post... I was speaking specifically about interconnects and RCA plugs, since the thread is about microphone cable.  And I have used Mogami microphone cable for DIY IC's for like 3 decades... the bullet plugs are a more recent development.

My experience with true balanced connections... is that the connectors and wire seem to be less important than for RCA cables.  I'm not saying I haven't heard differences between balanced interconnects of various brands and designs... just not as big a difference as with RCA(single ended) interconnects.

speaker wire - a different animal.  There are many people in the business... who have the education and experience to "know", and that espouse the use of bare/naked/un-terminated speaker wire.  If you are not using a foil conductor I think it is impractical to go naked.  You need to tin the ends of stranded wire or even the individual strands of a litz design to keep the wires from fraying, etc.  
There are some tellurium copper connectors out there(spades, BFA banana's, etc.) for speaker cables... which depending on the speaker wire itself, and if properly connected... I would think should not be detrimental to the signal carrying properties of the cable.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #160 - 10/30/15 at 20:56:30

By the way, I am going to try the WE wire in a power cord.  Jeff mentioned this in his blog so I figured I would give it a try.  I have enough left to do a short power cord.

P.S. I have always wanted to try those Eichmann plugs on some IC's.  I've heard good things about them.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #161 - 10/30/15 at 21:04:10

You should be OK as long as you verify the 16AWG wire is sufficient for the current being carried under load.
I also would play it safe and rate it at no more than 50% it's theoretical capacity and possibly cover the L/N conductors with something more difficult to accidentally expose the strands than that cloth insulation.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #162 - 10/30/15 at 21:13:34

Thanks, I'll dig out what that wire is rated at.  It may be printed on the cotton jacket.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #163 - 10/30/15 at 21:33:55

It's rated at 300V.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #164 - 10/30/15 at 22:20:22

But you need to rate the current.
Volts are important but the current is what generates the heat.
Your runs sound short so not nearly as much of an issue.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #165 - 10/30/15 at 22:46:36

Don't want to burn down the house.  I'm not sure how much the Torii draws.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #166 - 10/30/15 at 23:09:19

My guess is 16AWG is plenty but there are tables you can find on the web I am sure.
This one qualifies I think.
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #167 - 10/31/15 at 00:00:42

That chart says 16 gauge can handle 3.7 amps max. According to my PSAudio P5 (not sure of accuracy or if it reads initial cut on surges) most of my system plugged into the P5 is way less than that (1.67 amps). But look at the resistance compared to more typical audio power cords...maybe a 10 gauge on average....

My favorite cord is made of a lot of little silver on copper strands with teflon insulation...I think it was bundles of 20, 18, 16 and 14 gauge, the conglomerate totaling about 8 gauge. Twisted and damped, and with Rhodium ends, it sounded notably better to me going to the P5 than a PSAudio AC-12. It allowed the P5 to reveal more micro information.

Just wanted to mention the option of using more than one wire per neutral, hot and ground in case you decide the WE wire is safe.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #168 - 10/31/15 at 02:03:56

pal: Quote:
P.S. I have always wanted to try those Eichmann plugs on some IC's.  I've heard good things about them.

I made a Belden 8402 IC with switchcraft RCAs quite a while ago as per the Blog instructions. The thing I liked most about the Belden was the slightly warm and biggish body and bottom (I suspect due to the larger wire in part), its friendly midrange emphasis, friendly/open (though suppressed) highs... pretty accurate feeling timbre.

Nice cable, but it was just too limiting compared to what I was used to, my VHAudio recipe silver IC using KLE silver harmony ends. I used WBT silver solder on both.

The VH pure silver wire/design with the Silver Harmonies (pure silver and silver plated copper) are really amazing to me...very neutral, transparent and revealing without sacrifice to musicality. The more I compare it, the more I like it.

I had a similar thought as Maddog, wondering what a nice RCA would do with the Belden cable, though I have heard differences comparing good  wires so don't think the connectors are more important than the wire necessarily.

Having some Eichman Gold plated copper Bullets around, I put them on the same piece of Belden cable, it being burned in. I used WBT silver solder again. It is hard to say exactly the differences without being able to A/B directly, but even with brand new solder and RCAs, I heard the Eichmann RCAs let the cable breath better, letting through more complex information faster. I played them about a week in the main system, liking the big, warm sound with nice midrange presence and good highs.

But once I put back the VH recipe silver I was glad to hear all the Beldens were holding back. Once again, the silvers let through more fine information improving everything...air, speed, texture, subtle bass timbre, spaciousness, ambient information, soundstage, more accurate sounding timbre of all voices and instruments regardless.......but I did miss the seductive slightly bigger sound of the Beldens at first.

Again, not a great comparison though, not being the same RCAs, but they are family anyway. Cable to cable, I think the Belden/Eichmann is a respectable and friendly sounding IC. But at least here, the VH recipe with KLE Silver Harmonies (KLE is the new and improved Eichmann) is world class, outperforming the Belden in most every way without a downside to me. But my system is tuned to be very revealing, micro detail critical to the magic, so I could clearly hear the better transmission of the VH silvers, the vast complexity making the music feel extra real.

The main things this experiment did for me is prove that very pure, soft silver in cotton, with really good RCAs, is sweetly revealing without being hard or cool...accurate without a sign of rigidity...fast and unrestricted, it is revealing of all subtle info top to bottom. It just seems to let it all through bringing out beautiful music, textured and rich with complexity. The other thing the experiment made me want to consider is trying a 24 gauge VHAudio silver recipe IC (mine are 28 AWG), liking the slightly bigger sound of the larger gauge Beldens. Might even consider going all the way using pure silver KLE RCAs!

But as I listen now, I am totally satisfied with the 28 gauge Chris VenHaus chose for the recipe, so may never get around to the experiment! And I am enjoying the Belden/Eichmanns in my second system where they started for burnin, but sound really good.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #169 - 10/31/15 at 19:42:12

PS: Though this is all by comparison, my perception giving the VHAudio Silver the transparent and neutral designation, I think the Belden/Eichmann IC is quite nice if you want good quality warmth and increased body. To me "warm" is sort of like the audio equivalent of "warm and fuzzy"...like your favorite blanket as a kid...or comfort food.... in this case comforting sound.

This comes from a slight darkness, some emphasis on the mid-mids down in the balance, without feeling like the darkness muddles the sound. It softens the overall presentation in a warm (not cool) way, but still sounds articulate and detailed in the balance with a nice upper mid presence. The upper end detail must sound natural, but may or may not be a little restricted (or less in the balance). If there are limitations of fine detail and the highs they may be more recognizable by comparison rather than sounding unbalanced. Who knows what warmth is, but this is how I think of it.

This IC does this in my system. Also increasing body it sounds warm, biggish, and detailed with slightly heightened emphasis mids down.

In the all important indicator of ambient information it is similar... I hear more mid to low high ambient cues...more around the players and less broader spacial information...less "air." It is quite a nice sound, though not necessarily "transparent and neutral."

The VHAudio silver/KLE IC, though not cool or hard here, seems to have no particular color. Fine detail is not restricted in any way, rather, complex and balanced. There a less mid-down emphasis and less "power" (I think likely from the bigger Belden wire) overall, part of what I perceive as increasing body and mid emphasis in the Belden/Eichmann.

It is hard to describe the subtleties of sound. I hope this helps. Wink

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #170 - 11/01/15 at 12:45:44

Thanks Will. What do you think it cost you to build for VHaudio?  I have been intrigued by that recipe for some time.  If I remember correctly, he sells all the ingredients on his site.

Just as a test I put my decware sliver back in.  I lost bass definition which surprised me.  So back to the Belden I went.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #171 - 11/01/15 at 19:52:29

VH Audio sells some good stuff, they have OCC copper and silver.  They silver by itself sounds a little thin to me and I can more appreciate a blend of silver and another metal such as gold or just copper by itself.

The only silver wire that truly stood out to me as special is the Duelund Silver Foil/silk in oil.  This has a special sound to me that is full bodied and what I like to call a "tone monster".  It's on the warmer side of neutral and may not work with all setups though.  I only used one set from my DAC to Preamp, the McIntosh D100 is Sabre based and a although very detailed a little on the forward side and adding the Duelund really took the edge off and gave me the best of both worlds for this particular DAC.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #172 - 11/02/15 at 04:11:17

Palomino

I am not sure if the bass definition thing is that the Decware ICs go deeper, pushing the Torii/room tolerances, or something else. But I have experienced this too. Here the Decware silver has a little too much upper mids up, and a little too thick down low for me.

The VHAudio recipe is not cheap, but it uses world class materials, really good design theory, great damping, and was carefully arrived at by Chris Venhaus' experimentation. I have not heard the Duelund wire BW speaks of so can't comment, but I have been temped by this wire for the Torii signal path. Also Chris V seems quite open to email questions should you have some.

http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html

You would have to do the math but I think 200 give or take depending on length, buying enough wire for two sets or one, and the RCAs used. I did see the KLE Pure Silver are at a good price on the VHAudio site, just a bit more than the lesser valued Silver Harmony I have from partsconnexion. Whether worth the money is not a question for me, but with your love of the WE and Belden in your system, it sounds like you are in a good place for your musical pleasure!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #173 - 11/02/15 at 18:54:32

Thanks Will.  That won't break the bank.

I did some measurements on my room this weekend using just a couple of iphone aps.  I played around with some equalization doing some A/B to see if it hurt the image/soundstage.  So far, I haven't heard a negative impact.  Eric has mic that I might borrow and do it right with REW over the holidays.

Also, I found this link when looking for soundstage demo music on the web.  I only have the Muddy Waters and Eva Cassidy discs so some discs to explore.

http://www.cnet.com/news/the-audiophiliacs-top-music-tracks-for-testing-speakers...

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #174 - 11/02/15 at 20:40:54

If you want more transparency with the Belden wire, some KLE RCAs should be interesting. But with what I gather your system/room presents, if you really want to hear it all, I feel like the VHSilver recipe will show it...Question is if that will be pleasing! Might take some adjustment.

It would be interesting to see what Chris Venhaus hears differently with his 24 gauge silver/cotton wire, bigger than the 28 in the recipe. I wonder because I tend to like thinner wire ICs better, less pushy. Grover's allow a bigger transmission across the range, a mixed blessing to me. But that cable has a mix of wire materials and who knows what does what in the sound balance. On the other hand, the the bigness of the Belden is pretty nice here. Though I have found several bigger wire ICs sort of in the face, VHAudio silver is so smooth, I wonder if it may be good bigger?

Just talked myself into emailing Chris. Will report back on that.

I have found EQ through Pure, Audirvana, and Amarra excellent tools though the Amarra I tried would not allow other EQs than their own. It sounded great put was too limited for me with only 3 EQs.

I prefer Apple AUfilter over highly appreciated free EQs I have tried. AUFilter comes up as a choice in Audirvana. It is quite transparent and has a lot of power with 3 parametric EQs that you can adjust the width/steepness down to very fine adjustments and a high and low shelf (or cut). I use pretty narrow Qs (like .1 - .45 octave, usually the narrower) for precision. I also like the high and low shelves on each AUfilter. With the option for four of these modules with Audirvana, you can do some serious fine tuning if inclined.

I think the only way AUFilters will negatively effect your soundstage is with the wrong frequencies cut or increased. Alternately you can potentially increase it with the right ones by reducing masking or heightening attenuated good stuff.

Interesting list of speaker tuning tunes. I think I have the Kronos CD around here somewhere, but none of the others.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #175 - 11/03/15 at 00:44:19

I sent the following to Chris VenHaus: "Now I am wondering about a pair using KLE Pure Silver (nice price!) and perhaps 24 gauge wire. I like the transparency and speed of the 28s and am not sure about the bigger wire, the thought of the experiment being going for more tonal density and sense of power. Is this a real possibility based on your experimentation? Any down sides to the bigger silver? Lot’s of times I find bigger IC wire a little brash and in the face, but your silver is so smooth, I am thinking this may be different???"

Chris' reply: "Yes, based on what you’re saying, I think the 24 AWG would be a great fit for you. It will have  bit more weighty presentation, but is still small enough AWG to allow delicate/refined highs to pass through, without incident. Generally speaking, between the 28 AWG and 24 AWG, I think most people prefer the 24 AWG for this sense of greater weight, with effortless micro textural details and airy highs. Also agree that my silver is different than most. Often described as ‘buttery smooth’ ; -)"

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #176 - 11/04/15 at 02:17:25

BTW, Just in case anyone gets interested in Eichmann or KLE RCAs, look around online for ideas on how to solder without damaging the delicate plastic casing. The encased metal is very minimal on these ICs, I think to reduce mass, so when the metal gets hot it can soften the fit in the casing. On my second ones (after messing the first set up a little) I put them on an RCA plug to dissipate the heat while soldering.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #177 - 11/11/15 at 21:34:28

BTW, I did make up a power cord with the WE16g.  I think I prefer it slightly to my PS Audio AC9.  A little more musical (or so I am telling myself).

At any rate there is not much difference between the two in my system.  I don't know if that says bad things about the AC9, good things about the WE16g, or bad things about my hearing.  Maybe its a combo...

Anyway a fun experiment and I'm leaving it in until I hear a reason to switch back.

Oh, and no fires yet.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #178 - 11/11/15 at 21:41:50

AC-5 maybe? Or a Pangea AC-9?

Congrats on the no fire!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #179 - 11/11/15 at 21:44:03

Sorry AC5.

Yes, quite proud of the no fire thing.

BTW, I still run the AC12 to my Power Plant.  I suspect that has a bigger impact than what runs from the PPP to the amp.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #180 - 11/11/15 at 21:48:40

I agree. Before I settled on and managed to corall AC-12s everywhere in the system I played around with other PS Audio, Shunyata, Analysis Plus, TARA Labs, Decware, and MAC cables. Quite interesting results various cables various places .  .  . but I preferred the AC-12 in each instance and with the system fully equipted with these I'm not tempted to play around with power cables any longer.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #181 - 11/11/15 at 22:05:08

I didn't really feel a burning need to do anything, but I get updates to the Jeff's place blog and I've been fascinated by the WE16g wire.  He tried it in interconnects, so I gave it a shot.  Same thing with the power cord.  As speaker wire, I think it offers the most benefits.

But I guess I do have a need for more good quality cords with the addition of linear power supplies on the DAC, the Mac mini and now the Regen, but don't have the cash.  I only have three "store bought" cords and those were purchased used.  All the rest are DIY.  I may try switching them around a little to see which sounds best on each component.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #182 - 11/11/15 at 22:20:29

Yes, moving them around could yield good results!

I know you have monetary concerns that I don't and have done really well with what you have made and acquired second hand. (I've acquired a lot of second hand cabling myself). Being able at two periods of time to spend quite a bit I'm glad I experimented with the VooDoo Cable line and with the power cords that I did. . . even if that means a few boxes of cables not in use right now! I really have found a synergy that I don't want to mess with, in fact other than perhaps upgrading my vinyl front end a bit in the future, and installing a few more of the VooDoo Cable Iso Pod footers, I'm really not inclined to make changes. No DAC tempts me as the PS Audio DirectStream still floors me, no amp or speaker tempts me as I have the amp and speaker compatibility and marvelous sound that I want. And though I probably will start selling some components and speakers, it's nice to know that with just a trip to the storage unit I could set up another system, in fact another two or three systems. That's a comforting sort of "headroom" to have. Life is good, I feel blessed (and in the way of life partners, friends and family as well) and should ride the crest of this wave as long as I can. I hope all of us feel or will feel this way.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #183 - 11/11/15 at 22:25:12

I may have a little money come year end.  A Direct Stream would still be out of reach, but I have been reading about the Yggy.  Tempting.

Last year I bought the Torii III and that has certainly been a good investment.  I just have to be very selective.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #184 - 11/11/15 at 22:33:56

Understood. I'll be very selective in the future as well. . . don't want to mess with the synergy of the components I have.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #185 - 11/21/15 at 23:45:12

Seems Jeff made some power cables from the Western Electric WE16GA and was not entirely pleased with it citing they were too forward. http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=8618 

In return he is going to try the Belden 8402.  Will be curious to his findings as a lot of you guys are taking advantage of this wire.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #186 - 11/22/15 at 12:46:25

I am still using the we16g power cord. I am not noticing the forward sound Jeff notes.  Then again, my system is a little forward sounding to begin with.  

I bought a fair amount of this wire and will try it in various things.  So far still the biggest impact as speaker wire.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #187 - 03/15/16 at 11:55:24

I had tinned all 8 ends of the WE sp/cbls and was very happy. My friend Nigel has an i/c project on the go and was asking me what % silver I had in my solder. It started playing me up......does the solder inhibit the flow of the WE`s through the connections ?
I snipped all the ends off and bared the ends again. Straight WE into the sp bananas and sp posts on the amps.
I heard more detail, faint detail, mainly treble, JJ Cale seems to have endless amounts to be discovered.
But....a tad on the bright side. Fingers crossed that it will all settle down with some hours.
Perhaps the `new` bright is how it ought to be and I`ve been listening to a slightly lower mix. It`s funny how our ears can acclimatise to accept.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #188 - 03/15/16 at 12:25:44

ive been running the we10ga bare, amp to external crossover, with very good results.  ive tried various termination, but like them bare the best.

also have a full set of 8402 ic's that i made over the holidays.  like them very much too.  using the switchcraft rca's.  i have much more expensive ic's laying around doing nothing now...

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #189 - 07/13/16 at 23:30:01

Guys, it seems as though the original WE WE16GA wire is getting scarce and almost extinct.  Duelund has stepped up to produce something very similar sounding (though not as inexpensive as the WE).

http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=9488

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #190 - 07/21/16 at 08:15:06

More info from Jeff's Place concerning the new Duelund Wire.  This wire "should" be very close sounding to the WE wire that is almost extinct and very reasonably priced IMO.

"Parts Connexion will be pricing the Duelund Coherent Audio DCA16GA wire at an introductory price of $9.95 USD per meter for the first 30 days after they receive it. The link to order the new Duelund Coherent Audio DCA16GA just went live at Parts Connexion here, so get it while you can!"

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #191 - 07/21/16 at 11:43:17

Thanks for the info beo.  Might be interesting to buy some to compare.

IP Logged
DrN
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #192 - 07/27/16 at 03:05:41

I have some of the Duelund cable coming, I'll comment more when it arrives.
The WE 16 is nice stuff!

Pathos Classic One mkll Usher Cp6371 CA Emotion CMB Carbon Satisfy Arm Falcon PS Heed Quasar AT33PTGII Cambridge CXC Schiit Yggdrasil Itona Curious link
WE16ga SC Belden 8402 Int Wywires Litespeed SPDIF Juice "Silver" Series SC and interconnects out for now
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #193 - 08/15/16 at 21:58:26

I saw a post where Jeff stated that he like the new wire better than the WE wire.  So if you want to try out this sound, it sounds like its a good option now.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #194 - 08/23/16 at 01:04:00

I purchased some 10g western electric wire to run as speaker wires off the crown amp to my augies.  I didn't like it.  So this weekend I tried it in a power cord.   I had already tried the 16g and liked it.  I think the 10g bests it in all areas except fine detail. The bass boost was so much that I had to recalibrate the crown.  Anyway just an option if somebody wants to give it a try.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #195 - 08/26/16 at 03:15:57

pal,  haven't tired either in a power cord but have as speaker cables and like both (10 and 16ga).  can't really say i can tell a difference.  guess i have to make some pwr cords!

note one thing i noticed they are both way better bare with no connectors.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #196 - 08/27/16 at 22:57:50

Hey guys, another audio writer (Jack Robert's of Dagogo) speaking highly of the new Duelund DCA16GA wire.  12 meters of wire for only $120 bucks ... this is a great deal for those on a budget.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #197 - 05/24/18 at 11:43:53

:)  A brief interlude from the main feature.

Yes, those lazy, hazy days of the WE16gwa speaker wire & Belden 8402 were good fun...and very productive.
I`ve finally gotten round to making up four pairs of IC`s with the 8402. I used 16 inexpensive Gothic Audio silver, lockable rca plugs.
So far I`m liking them a lot. Already there is extra bottom end fill and density, and they are pleasantly listenable. As with all system changes I`m hearing stuff popping up. Lot of burning in to do.
And the whole system has more blackness than before.
Syd

IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print