Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 00:10:46 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help new guy to tubes (Read 27835 times)
Urbs
Verified Member

Help new guy to tubes
04/03/15 at 15:58:16

Hello,
I've been reading for months on different amplifiers.  I decided on Decware and I'm looking between the mini Tori and the Racheal.  I will be using Omega super Alnico monitors.  This is a ground up two channel system.  I'm brand new to tubes so I'm looking for your all opinions please.  I can't decide  :-X

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Help new guy to tubes
Reply #1 - 04/03/15 at 16:56:57

I have some experience with the 2 watt Zen (I own) the Rachel (friend owns) Torii 3 (friend owns) Torri 4 (played with at Decware) and the Zen Mystery Amp (I own) - and I love efficient, super simple speakers like the Omega stuff.

IMO - both amps will work well with that speaker. It's 8ohms and 93db.

I feel the Rachel is a bit silkier, smoother amp - but the Torii has a little more horsepower and therefor flexibility in the future. If it were me, I'd spring for the Torii and know that I have an amp that will work with a much wider variety of speakers in the future. If I were on a tight budget and couldn't find a good deal on used Torii, the Rachel is a great amp, but I could see me moving up to a Torii in the future and relegating the Rachel to second system, or reselling it.

Even though you might not use that extra wattage the Torri has, it gives you more flexibility and headroom. Both are great things to have in reserve.  :)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #2 - 04/03/15 at 17:02:55

Hey Urbs,  I have the SE84ckc and listen in a room that is 11' x 16'. If I had my system in a room twice that size I would go with more power to help fill the larger area with music that has balls/weight to it. So, consider your listening enviroment. Raven makes a good point, always nice to have that xtra power in reserve in case it's needed down the road.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/03/15 at 17:44:10

Urbs,

I've had the Super Zen for a few years now and Zen before that going back almost 15 years. Have been using Klipsch RF-7's at 102db sensitivity.

Have had my pair of Omega Super Alnico Monitors for a week now. Have been using my Peachtree 220se for the most part for speaker break-in. Did however have the Super Zen hooked up for a day and was quite impressed with how loud they will play with 2 watts in my 16' x 22' room with large openings into other areas of the home.

I have twin Subs connected via speaker level and the sound is Great. If you want to Rock with 2 watts and the Alnico's then I definitely think the DeepOmega 12 sub is a must. The Alnico's have great bass, adding the Sub takes you from great bass to having the Bass Player & His Amp in your listening room. IMO adding the Sub will give you a lot more Low end Weight than upping amp power with no sub.

I have been to Decware several times and compared the Rachel to the Super Zen. To my ear the Rachel did not play louder than the Super Zen (a big surprise to me). My Super by the way has the 8 ohm output transformers.

I'm pressed for time right now but if you have other questions feel free to ask.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #4 - 04/03/15 at 17:49:35

P.S. there are several Torii  MK's for sale at US Audio Mart. Might be worth a look.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/03/15 at 18:44:51

OK,  here's my two cents.  I would get a Torii MK IV or III with Bees wax caps.  But that's not your question.  I haven't heard either the Mini Torii or the Rachael but know they both sound great from comments from forum members. If I were you, I would buy a Rachael because when you feel the need for more watts you can just add another Rachael and have 12 wpc, as many here have done...maybe they'll chime in.  Or, if you upgrade to a Torii, all the tubes you bought for the Rachael can be used in the Torii...not the case with the Mini Torii.

I own a Torii MK IV and if I could only own one amp, this would be it.  I also have a Taboo MK III (4.6 WPC) and a Pair of 2.3 WPC SE84ZSM...the Zen Signature Monoblocks that are no longer made.  I also have a pair of Omega Alinco XRS speakers.  For some reason the Taboo can't drive them to adequate volumes but the Torii and 2.3 WPC Zen can...go figure.  Anyway,  I don't think you can make a mistake by buying any of the Amps but given the usual urge to upgrade in the future get the Rachael...it's more versitile in this respect.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Urbs
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 04/03/15 at 19:13:33

Hey thanks for the replies.  I'm working this in on a smaller budget.  Unfortunately I'm gonna have to make 6 watts work or 4 lol.  My room is either a 11 x 14 w carpet office or a hard wood large kitchen sitting area.  Still deciding.  I also have to purchase a decent phono preamp and a dac.  

I recently started spinning records and I'm really enjoying it.  W a tight budget and a few areas to spend it I'm wanting to make good decisions.  In the future I definitely will look at adding more power, subs ect.  Spoke w Steve yesterday and he felt the Rachael since it has the meters and I'm a tube newbie.  Just seeing other opinions really.  I would like to comment on how well Steve listened to all my questions and patiently answered and helped educate me.  That is something missing in a lot of other companies out there. First class service.  

I'm becoming very excited to listen to both Decware and Omega since I haven't heard either.  

IP Logged
Urbs
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 04/03/15 at 19:18:34

Hey damn good point Mark!  Thanks for opening my eyes a little more I didn't know the Tori and Racheal use same tubes.  Mmm....

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 04/03/15 at 19:26:29

AND there should be a distinction between the MINI-TORI that was mentioned in the OP, and a Tori amp. The Mini-Tori is a 4 watt output amp, where as the Tori is a 25 watt amp. The Rachel is a 6 watt amp, and is the one that I own. It's price is right for your budget and it has a little more power to give.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 04/03/15 at 19:31:57

Oh wow, I totally missed the *mini* part of that. I guess I was thrown off by the misspelling of Torii. LOL

I would for sure get the Rachel in your situation. She's a great sounding amp.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Urbs
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 04/03/15 at 20:07:25

Alright I'm gonna nail down the Rachel.  Thanks everyone for your input.  Since we are speaking about possibly larger rm and 6 quality watts should I purchase  omega super 7 tower instead?  Asking because it's 95 dB compared to 93 of the Alnico monitor.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #11 - 04/03/15 at 20:50:27

Urbs- I have a Rachael and ZP3 as of November 2014 and my Omega 7XRS will land on this coming Thursday. I also have a CS84SE (?) 2 watt ZEN amp which I will try just for fun. The Rachael is a FANTASTIC product and I know I will be hitting sonic ZEN heaven when these get together (after another lengthy break in time...). You won't be disappointed. Happy Listening, Chris.
P.S, If you do vinyl, you gotta get a ZP3...

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/03/15 at 21:04:40

Urbs, again your question is one where there is no wrong answer.  The Rachael with 6 WPC will drive any Omega speaker to more than adequate volume with some headroom to spare.  The question should be is the additional cost worth it to you...sounds like you're on a budget.  Do a little reading of impressions of both drivers at the Audio circle forums that can be accessed from Omegas' website.  Also read what Louis says.  I chose Alincos but it turns out mine are DIY versions Louis once sold not the same as those that would be in your monitors.  I'm going to send you a PM with something you may want to consider.  Mark.

http://omegaloudspeakers.com/omegaoemdrivers.html

Alnico Magnets

When I first heard the Alnico (magnet) sound in a driver, I knew it was for me. Now some upper-end Omega single-driver loudspeakers use Alnico magnets in their drivers.

Alnico is an acronym referring to alloys which are composed primarily of aluminum (symbol Al), nickel (symbol Ni) and cobalt (symbol Co), hence al-ni-co. For comparisons sake, 99% of dynamic drivers used in home audio utilize ferrite magnets.

For a speaker designer, Alnico drivers are MUCH more expensive compared to their ferrite counterparts. But there is no question in my mind, Omega's proprietary Alnico drivers produce the sound and tone I strive for, so they are now used exclusively in some of my upper-end models.

Compared to ferrite magnet counterparts, the sound produced by Omega Alnico drivers:

Is better balanced and more linear across the frequency spectrum.

Has better texture and layering.

Offers higher resolution (especially noticeable in the mid-bass area, with instruments like standup bass and kick-drums.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Urbs
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 04/03/15 at 21:08:47

Hopefully this isn't a bad question but I couldn't find my answer lol.  Does the ZP3 support mm carts?  I'm using a entry level Project Carbon DC w 2m red cart.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 04/03/15 at 21:16:49

Yes.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 04/03/15 at 21:20:21

The ZP3 supports MM carts.  Most MC carts require a step up transformer that costs an additional $629 currently.  If you do decide on a ZP3 also get the $100 Bees Wax Cap upgrade.  But at $1395, this may be something for the future.  It is wonderful and worth every penny though.  Mark.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #16 - 04/03/15 at 21:33:28

I agree w/ mark88  ZP3 is killer.  I started w/ project tube box S until I had the funds for ZP3 purchase. Very glad I did ZP3 is sooooo much better and mine only has 200+ hours on it so it is still seasoning. Tekton also makes very hi efficiency speakers, reasonably priced and well liked amongst those here that have 'em. It's all good! Having a good decware foundation to start with is a great place to start.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 04/03/15 at 21:38:27

My ZP3 is on the way to having 3 candles on its cake and it's an amazing preamplifier. One of my favorite Decware pieces. (Okay, how can I play favorites? It's a triumph in stereo cmponentry imo none-the-less.)

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Urbs
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 04/03/15 at 23:18:47

Speaking of up grades...
Mark, what would the beeswax do for me?  And any upgrades on the Rachel that's anyone recommends?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 04/04/15 at 00:12:18

Well,  I have only had the Bees Wax Caps in all my gear so I have nothing to compare it to but a lot of people have had mods done adding them to amps with standard caps or VCAPs and no one has said it wasn't an improvement.  The person that recommended that I order them on my ZP3 had sent in his old gear for them.  

I looked at the options on the Rachel.   It comes standard with Bees Wax Caps but has Caps Called Jupiter IIs for $200...never heard of them.  You're probably ok with the standard Jupiters that I think is what's in all my gear.  The Jupiter II must be something new.  Also it comes standard with one set of inputs...I think you need at least two sets for phono stage and digital source...at a minimum.  I also like being able to control the volume of each channel separately as I do on my Zen Signature Monoblocks and via a CSP3 preamp with my Torii...you might want to consider dual volume controls. But if you plan on running a pair in the future, you might not want two controls...I'm not sure how that would work when run as a mono amp.  Maybe someone running dual Rachels can chime in.

What did you think of the speakers I showed you?  I'm not sure how set you are on Omega's but I also have a pair of Zu Audio Soul speakers that I actually like more than the Omegas.  I didn't mention them before but they are an option...$2000 retail or bought used, much less...see the thread linked below.  Be warned though, the Zu's take an extremely long and brutal break in before they sound good.  The Omegas have a very short and tolerable break in by comparison. Mark.

PS...this is probably too much information but I just looked on the Zu Audio site and they have a new pair in Black Walnut for $1599 in the pre loved section.  Click on the pic and it gives you another of the actual finish...very nice. I'll also give you a link to the souls so you can read a bit about them.
http://www.zuaudio.com/preloved/soul

http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/soul

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1427411159

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 04/04/15 at 00:55:33

I've had beeswax caps installed in both my original Torii Mk III and CSP2+--and liked it so much that when I bought another Mk III and another CSP2+ I had them installed at build time.

The difference I can best describe as. . . "openness and naturalness." The midrange seems more open and for all practical purposes not a midrange, just music. The higher and lower frequencies seem to be both more smooth and more detailed, which would have seemed not possible before to me. They are an upgrade, a musical upgrade, and though they do break in and season, they sound good from the start and just sound better. Smiley

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 04/04/15 at 12:04:01

It`s a buzz working out the shopping list for Decware amps Urbs, and getting it all down before comitting is the right way to go.
The vinyl gang here all love their ZP3`s and you`ll see why. Beeswax caps give them extra wow factor, though if they never exsisted you`d still be wowed. The extra $100 is well worth it. Sometimes you cant imagine an improvement but when it actually happens it`s very impressive.
The Rachael can be bought without tubes for you to kit out with preferred tubes. Save $150 but if you want to get the system up and running before tube rolling then I`d go for the standard model with controls and imputs to suit. $200 Beeswax caps if you can stretch to it and you wont have to upgrade later when you think about such things as NOS tubes/cabling etc. You could easily find a set of good NOS tubes for the $150 beforehand and have 3 months to reseach while you wait. Remember that if in the future you want more power and decide to bridge Rachaels you might have to get the same controls on the new one as the first one. So less could be better. And one day you might think of a pre-amp as well.
Needless to say the more efficient the speakers the more the watts equate to filling your space.
So....getting the amps in and playing.....some burn in.....and you can forget about new amps forever. Famous last words of course but you get to think about source from a new perspective.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 04/04/15 at 15:05:13

Urbs,  I just remembered, you don't even have a Decware Amp yet.  So your first step has to be to nail down when it will arrive.  If you have an Amp to start break in with speakers, you could get started with that part.  But until you have the Rachael, any true evaluation can't be made.  With the Bee's Wax Caps, right out of the box, it should sound pretty good, allowing you to sort out your speaker question/choice...as discussed in PMs.  Mark.

IP Logged
Urbs
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 04/04/15 at 15:45:48

I really appreciate all the answers and support!  This is awesome having all this input from everyone.  I'm in the middle of traveling w the family for Easter but I'm definitely chewing on all this new info I have.  Mark I'm discussing w the wife speaker options too.  I have to include her because this summer we are having our house decorator redo some things.  Sooo her eye apoval is a must lol.  

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 04/04/15 at 16:44:01

Well, I guess approval from the wife is important...for some...hehe. I think all three pairs of my speakers are beautiful but I could see some not liking the exposed 10" Driver of the Zu Souls.  I don't think your wife would have a problem with the Omegas used with the included grills or the Decware HR-1s in my main system in the Cave, that I haven't mentioned previously...she would have a problem with the 5K price tag though...probably. Mark.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #25 - 04/04/15 at 16:57:09

Urbs,

It can be tough finding exactly what YOUR ears like when it comes to audio. For some it is a one time thing, and done. For the rest of us, it can be a life long travel. Having said that, I will tell you that 4 out of 5 of my Decware choices have suited me well. I now own the Rachel amp with no regrets, and a pair of ZOB speakers. Supposing that 6 watts will suffice for your speakers, I can say that the Rachel, will be a wonderful choice. And in addition, tube equipment often has the ability to make changes in the sound by using different tubes. To me, price and performance considered, you will never look back in doubt with this amp as a choice in your system.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 04/05/15 at 19:19:46

Been burning in my Omega Super Alnico's for 7 days now with the Peachtree 220se integrated. This morning I swapped in the Super Zen and took some sound pressure level measurements.

Meter: Radio Shack analog SPL meter. A weighted, Slow response. Placed at listening position.

Room: 16' x 21', vaulted ceiling with large openings into other large areas of the home. Front of speakers placed 4' from the front wall and spaced 9' apart. Listening position is 11' from each speaker. Hard wood floors with large padded area rug. Modest room treatments (absorption & diffusion).

Equipment: Oppo 105D, Stock Super Zen with 8 ohm output transformers, Omega Super Alnico's, Twin Hsu Mid Bass Modules connected via speaker level with crossover set at 150hz.

Music: AC/DC Powerage CD, tracks included Rock & Roll Damnation, Up to my neck in you, Sin City.

Sound Pressure Level Readings:

Super Zen Volume Control set at 12:00 O'clock: Average SPL = 83db
Super Zen Volume Control set at  1:30 O'clock:  Average SPL = 87db
Super Zen Volume Control set at  3:00 O'clock:  Average SPL = 92db

For my taste the 12'00 O'clock volume setting is ideal for lengthy listening at moderately high volume without fatigue (Very Satisfying). At the 3:00 O'clock volume setting I did not notice any obvious strain on the part of the amp or speakers.

When I turn the Mid Bass Modules OFF the music is obviously a bit thin for my taste on the bottom end. I should mention this is also the case with my Klipsch RF-7's so it is not a fault with the Omega.

IMO go with the Omega Monitors, place them where they sound best. Go for the DeepOmega 12 for real Bass, place it where it sounds best and simply dial in the correct volume for your room & personal taste.

Finally, The Super Zen and Omega Super Alinco's are a great match. I will be providing full impressions after some more listening. The Omega Single Driver implementation creates a wonderful Soundstage.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Urbs
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 04/06/15 at 17:59:54

DBC that is great info thank you for sharing.  I'm extremely excited to get this going!  Still kicking around my speaker options but def feel comfortable w getting the Rachel now.  Probably gonna do the zp3 as well.  

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 04/06/15 at 18:46:38

Urbs just informed me that the Black Walnut Zu Audio Souls I mentioned in a post on Friday had been sold when he called about them.  Did anyone here buy them?  They are a beautiful pair at a great price.  I'd like to hear your impressions if their new owner is a member here.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 04/13/15 at 03:54:11

Well Damn, I can't believe I just bought another pair of speakers.  

I had PM'd Urbs back on April 3rd and told him he should consider these Omega Alinco Super 6XRS speakers (See Link).  After asking for my opinion and impressions of my Omega Alinco Super 7XRS and Zu Audio Soul speakers as well as additional reading and talking to others...he ordered a pair of Zu Audio Souls at a great price, well under retail.

So when I looked at the auction tonight, no one had placed a bid.  I found this incredible.  These were made in December 2011 and have the same top of the line Alinco Driver as the Current model Alinco XRS speakers selling for $2995...opening bid was $1100.  The only difference I can see is  that the grills are shorter. Otherwise they look basically like the same cabinet.  I had a moment of weakness.  So I'll try them with the Deep Hemp Sub in the main system and with the Zen Signature Monoblocks in the den.  I may end up reselling the one off pair of Alinco Super 7XRS speakers I bought used on ebay...provided I like this pair better.  

Oh well,  I had another moment of weakness and again bought something I don't need. Mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Speaker-Systems-Super-6-XRS-Alnico-Super-Six-XRS-S...

IP Logged
Urbs
Verified Member

Reply #30 - 04/13/15 at 04:14:43

Hahaha I just laid down checked my phone and it told me about a ebay alert.  I went here to pm Mark and tell him someone caught a great deal lol!!  Congrats on the purchase!  Can't wait to hear what u think of them.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 04/13/15 at 04:24:49

Yeah Urbs,  I couldn't believe no one else wanted these. When I went to take a look I was expecting to see bids over $1500.  I half expected someone to put in a bid at the end, when no one did, I pushed the bid button with 5 seconds left.  

After figuring out that I didn't have the top of the line Alinco Driver, I've always wondered if they sounded much better.  Since I didn't like the Omegas as much as the Souls, I thought why bother.  I've even thought about selling the Omegas and just running the Souls in my second system.

Oh well, I get to try them now.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 04/13/15 at 12:34:30

Urbs,  I just read all the posts in this thread again.  I didn't go back and read all our PMs but I don't recall you mentioning what options you have chosen for your Rachael...what'd you decide on?  

Regarding the room you use for listening.  I think the Kitchen area might be a bit bright with all the hard surfaces and wood floor but you obviously can try out both rooms over time.

I woke up this morning and thought...did I really buy another pair of Speakers?  I'm still shaking my head...hehe.  Mark.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #33 - 04/13/15 at 12:44:14

Mark is busy keeping up with the Stoneses.

IP Logged
Urbs
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 04/13/15 at 12:59:01

I really thought the Omega's would have sold for 1500 at least.  Kinda why I just jumped on the souls at 1500.  Souls are easier on the eyes.  Since I haven't heard either I listened to my gut and some of your thoughts and went souls.  

The amp.  I gonna get 4 pairs of inputs, stock jupiter caps., dual volume control and the 6N2P tubes also.  Prob. the black stock base but thinking about Cherry too.   Any suggestions....one above amp.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 04/13/15 at 13:15:16

Lon,  Stone was who I was thinking of when I was rationalizing buying another pair of speakers.  In his defense though, I think he's been selling off a lot of gear, including some speakers.

Urbs, somewhere you were asking about people with multiple Amps and systems.  Reading between the lines in my posts you probably have figured out what I have but I'll spell it out.  I began with a Taboo MK III and Audeze headphones using an old CD player and old Pioneer Turntable and the phono Stage of an old Adcom preamp.  Then I added a CSP3 preamp to make things better.  I bought a pair of Zu Audio Unions but had a problem with them and Sean at Zu actually upgraded me to the Souls with no additional charge but because of production problems, I didn't get them for several months.  Then I bought the Torii MK IV and the ZP3 at the same time. Then I ordered a pair of HR-1s that took about 8 or 9 months to build.  Within a day or two of the delivery of the HR-1s, the Omega Alinco Super 7XRS speakers arrived...I bought them on ebay.  Then I saw a member here selling a pair of 2008 Zen Signature Monoblocks.  I wrote a long and detailed email to a friend trying to convince him he should buy them...I did such a good job that I'd convinced myself...I ended up buying them later that day.  I almost forgot somewhere in there I bought a used Jolida 100 CD player and loved it so much, I bought another for my second system.  A Rega RP6 with exact cart was purchased some where in there.  Most recently I added an Omega Deep Hemp Sub.

So,  I play vinyl almost exclusively in my main system and my second system consists of the Monoblocks and a Jolida 100 CDP.  The Zu and Omega speakers sit side by side and I switch between them.  Only CDs are played in the second system.  Also, recently, I hooked up my Taboo in the den to my laptop and have been listening to spotify with either the Souls or the Audeze headphones.  I enjoy all the Amps and don't plan of getting rid of any but I also don't plan on buying anymore but in another moment of weakness...who knows...hehe.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 04/13/15 at 13:22:56

Urbs,  to tell you the truth,  I thought the $1875 "buy it now" price on the Omegas was a fair price....$1100...a steal I couldn't let pass.

The Amps I bought new have the Black figured bases and the Monoblocks have the Walnut bases.  Why don't you let your wife chose the base...get her more invested in the process.  I favor the Black Figured but all bases look good.  I wouldn't spend extra money on an upgrade though.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #37 - 04/13/15 at 13:37:42

Hey, I was just funning. . . Stone is the poster boy for having a lot of speakers on hand, an enviable thing if you have the space. I've come to realize what a luxury space is, as I'm going to soon have so little for my equipment and recordings and instruments. Bet these new speakers sound great!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 04/13/15 at 15:50:15

Funny, I nearly pushed the button on a pair of Yamaha NS-1000m`s last night. They went for a lowish price as well £525.00.
Theres a better pair ( I think ) in 6 days time so I know the ballpark figure.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Urbs
Verified Member

Reply #39 - 04/13/15 at 17:06:19

Did you guys get yours w more than one input?  Plan on phono,cd,iphone/ipad.
W the phono getting 75% of the use.  I also think the ufo mod is couple hundred extra.  Should I get it?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 04/13/15 at 17:18:17

Urbs, you're on your own with the UFO mod...no one but Steve has heard it.  And you know what he'd say.
I can get by with two pair of inputs and two outputs on my CSP3 and I think I have two inputs on all amps.  I'm not that good on the technical stuff and can get those two confused.  When I change any connections, I look at the owners manuals to make sure I'm not screwing things up.  Mark

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print