Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 09:22:01 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
April fools CDApS meeting (Read 145263 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: April fools CDApS meeting
Reply #200 - 05/08/15 at 19:53:50

I think you are talking about skyline diffusers??

I only have built two of these, but just one QRD (with fins and wells) will have more of an impact that a few of the skylines.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #201 - 05/08/15 at 22:24:24

Erm, yes they are skylines. They`re what the BBC came up with.
I cant imagine they still use them though as they look clunky. The BBC will have spent our licence fees on something more hitech and fashionable by now which probably does the same job but blends in better. http://www.pmerecords.com/Diffusor.cfm

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #202 - 05/08/15 at 22:29:27

Yes I built two if these.  For the same real estate and about 60% of the time you will get more out of a single qrd.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #203 - 05/08/15 at 22:44:47

I cant be sure but I think you`re talking about something like this dispersion method which looks easier to build.

from the page http://www.reddit.com/r/audioengineering/comments/j0zky/diffusers/

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #204 - 05/08/15 at 23:00:52

Hey Palomino, you should try to find a place for those skylines.  I know they are kinda clunky and hard to mount, but it seems a shame not to use them.  I found them to be pretty attractive pieces.

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #205 - 05/08/15 at 23:08:46

Those are fractals syd.  Luke what raven and I bought.  Google qrd7 and you'll see what I am talking about.

Rob, I am thinking about where to hang them Smiley

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #206 - 05/22/15 at 01:19:57

Hey guys.  I am going to do more experiments tomorrow, but below is what I have experienced so far...  

The reason I don't prefer my GIK 242 panels (w/o scatter plates) at the first reflection point is that they alter the frequency balance.  They seem to absorb high frequencies, resulting in an over emphasis in the mid bass/bass.  The diffusion panels are much smoother in terms of frequency response.  

That said, with absorption, I seem to get a deeper sound stage.  So, @ProggRob, you might be onto something.  A mix of absorption and diffusion at the first reflection point may be best.  Fortunately, I have a couple GIK 244 panels with scatter plates on my rear wall that I can use for testing.

For reference, I was under the impression that scatter plates shouldn't be used at first reflection points, but I can no longer find that info on the GIK website.  Maybe most wouldn't recommend diffusion either...LR...you are right, trust your ears...  

So the experiment continues tomorrow and I will report back...  

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #207 - 05/22/15 at 03:43:20

Skyline diffusers are good enough for Skywalker Ranch - I figure they are still good enough for the BBC.  Each device is a tool for adjusting the sound in your room. There is some science, but in the end, even the installers say that after all the math and measurements, the final tweaks are by ear. So if you have room treatment, put them wherever sounds good for you.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #208 - 05/22/15 at 03:58:58

I'm still working on my mad projects while trying to take care of a convalescent dog, do house projects, and pay bills. Even though my listening room/home theater/living room is in complete disarray - I'm still working on sound treatments.

I'm painting my fractal diffusers.

I've also made a huge score. This is probably a couple thousand dollars of copper screen for RF and EMP shielding of whole rooms. If I had a dedicated room, I could literally line the walls with this and have my listening room be *inside* a Faraday Cage! Talk about lowering the noise floor!  LOL I really need to figure out what I'm going to do with this stuff.

ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #209 - 05/24/15 at 00:49:38

Quote:
That said, with absorption, I seem to get a deeper sound stage.  So, @ProggRob, you might be onto something.  A mix of absorption and diffusion at the first reflection point may be best.  Fortunately, I have a couple GIK 244 panels with scatter plates on my rear wall that I can use for testing.

Dave1210 - I'm really curious to hear your opinion!  I find though that with the 244 w/ scatter plate at the 1st reflection point, if your system has any tendency toward sibilance or accentuated high frequency energy it can be a bit much at the listening position.  I think it scatters from 2.5 to 10k.  I struggled with it today.  I'm not going to move them though, I have other workarounds in mind on the cabling and tube front.

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #210 - 05/24/15 at 04:50:14

Rob, have you tried straight up absorption at first reflection points?

Damn, I meant to see if I could swing by tonight and pick up those diffusers I left at your place...I just realized it's almost 11pm.

ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #211 - 05/24/15 at 13:52:58

Raven, I've tried plain ol' absorption with the 244 traps I currently have mounted in the back right corner.  To me, it kills the some of the music.  I like having the additional energy in the room, even if finding the right balance is a challenge.  As you know, my speakers are slightly "laid back", so I believe over absorbing at 1st reflection is a no no.

I'm available most of the day today if you want to pick up the diffusers.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #212 - 05/25/15 at 01:16:10

GIK 244  w/Scatter Plate at  First Reflection
GIK 242

Absorption_Only_Scatter_Plate.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #213 - 05/25/15 at 01:17:22

GIK 244  w/Scatter Plate at  First Reflection, should be easy to see the scatter plate in the 244 panel
GIK 242

Absorption_w_Scatter_Plate_v3.jpg
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #214 - 05/25/15 at 01:17:25

Love your room!

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #215 - 05/25/15 at 01:20:35

Thanks Rob.  I will post a few more pictures.  I think the room is part of the problem…or all of it ; )

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #216 - 05/25/15 at 01:21:47

Back of the room...

Back_of_the_Room.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #217 - 05/25/15 at 01:24:03

Diffusion first, reflection….

Diffusion_First_Absorption_Sec.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #218 - 05/25/15 at 01:25:48

GIK Q7D diffusors, 242 Absorption...

Diffusion_First_Absorption_Sec_v2.jpg
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #219 - 05/25/15 at 01:41:42

I really like how bright it is.  Because my room is in the basement, most of my friends comment that it's like Vegas down there: where time goes to die.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #220 - 05/25/15 at 01:53:04

I often wish I had a dedicated room, but I also appreciate having our living space as our listening space.  There are compromises with everything...

BTW...the space is dark at night, so what happens in Vegas stays in...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #221 - 05/25/15 at 01:56:05

I'm with you. I had a dedicated room, smaller than my last living room / dining room space that I moved into fromt he dedicated room. I loved the big room much more and enjoyed the big room and also the comfort of sharing it with others. Looking forward to that again in a few months!

Great sound comes in many ways!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #222 - 05/25/15 at 02:22:08

At the moment I have my 244 panels with scatter plates at the first reflection points and the 242 absorption panels at the 'second' reflection points.  

My wife and I noticed a greater sensation of 'musicians in the room' with this combo.  The differences are subtle, but I want to keep this combination in place for a while before I make definitive conclusions...

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #223 - 05/25/15 at 06:32:02

I had friends over today - turned into an impromptu listening session.

I think I have a diffuser problem.  :)

It's kind of haphazard - but I broke out just about everything I had and we moved stuff around while listening. By the end, friend (not audiophiles) kept asking what amp was driving the center channel. They couldn't believe this was "just stereo".

Still, not the best sound I could have if I had a dedicated room to work with. I'm still driving for clearning out the basement and setting up something down there. But I have a feeling this is going to be a long and difficult journey.

Oh, and we finally decided tonight that the Zu Audio are just too brash/harsh for critical listening. Went back to my default MG944 today and everyone listening (including non-audiophiles)  pretty much breathed a sigh of relief. The 944 while not having the depth and room filling sound of my Omen bII, just are smoother and more dynamic/faster. Which is kind of funny because the 944 sound slightly etched compared to the El Camino.

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #224 - 05/25/15 at 13:31:56

WOW Raven...that is quite the setup!  The first step is admitting you have a problem : )

Too bad about the Blue Zu's, although that is their entry level offering...I can say from experience that the ZMA and the Zu Omen Definition mk 2 make a great combo.  But those are $3800 speakers!

I thought the CKC/Omen Def combo would be great too, but the ZMA literally destroyed it.  So it's all about the synergy!

One thing I noticed with the compression tweeter on the Zu's is that it really separates tape hiss in the recording from the music.  It puts the hiss on a different plane, depth wise.  I noticed this right away, and it doesn't happen with the 944's.  I wish I could remember what tracks we were listening too...

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #225 - 05/26/15 at 15:14:17

I have been playing with making the room more lively.  

I took 4 - 2' absorber panels and stacked 2 each against the 4" bass traps on each side.  Gives me 8" of bass trap per side (not counting the corner bass traps up high).

I like the more lively room and the extra thickness in the bass traps seems to help with my problem bass frequency.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #226 - 05/26/15 at 15:46:49

There is so much we can do just by moving stuff around.

I've started posting some of my old networking and audio gear for sale on eBay and Craigs list. A first step towards clearing out the basement and possibly starting a listening room down there.

I need to figure out how to sell the rest of my CDs. Almost all the rare ones have already sold.

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #227 - 05/27/15 at 01:28:42

I keep trying to convince myself the front of my L shaped room is symmetrical, but indeed it is not.  The wall on the left doesn't go up to the ceiling.  I probably don't have the bass issues most do because those very long waves have somewhere to escape, but I wonder what the impact is on the rest of the soundstage.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #228 - 05/27/15 at 02:24:18

Also, I haven't been able to recreate, no matter what combination of room treatments, the sound I heard in the Magico/Aesthetix room at Axpona.  I never thought music at an audio show could sound better than what I have in my room, but it happened, and it is now burned into my brain...

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #229 - 05/27/15 at 02:47:08

The only thing that works for me in my dreaded L shaped living room are the ERRx speakers. They sound awesome. I tried four other types of speakers, Janszen zA2.1, Goldenear Tritons, Monitor Audio GX300 Gold. And none worked well. I still have all except the Goldenear. Actually the room is worse than just L shaped. It opens into a foyer in the back then into the kitchen, dining and has all glass on one side.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #230 - 05/27/15 at 23:12:41

Thanks iLance.  That is very helpful.  

Do you think the HR-1's would provide the same benefit in a 'bad room' or are the ERRx's special in this regard?  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #231 - 05/27/15 at 23:37:44

I have both HR-1s and ERRs (the model before this current one).

In a sense the ERRs are special. The HR-1s DO do quite a bit of what the ERRs do, and to an extent I think that helps them to be more flexible in a room. The HR-1s also offer a more specific instrumental shape and image than the ERRs. I love them both. ERRs are excellent with classical and jazz and folk music and have a toe up on the HR-1s in these genres in some rooms. HR-1s have a bit more of an edge on rock and electric-based music, more concentrated punch and delivery. Both are exceptional speakers.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #232 - 05/28/15 at 00:30:48

Thanks Lon.  In addition to jazz, I listen to a fair amount of indie rock and electronic, so I think the HR-1's would be a better 'musical' fit.  That said, if the HR-1's don't provide the same 'take the room out of the equation' as the ERRx's,  I may not be in a much better spot vs. the 944's.  The ZMA/944 combo is quite a good one.  

iLance...are you driving the ERRx's with your ZMA?

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #233 - 05/28/15 at 03:32:54

Eventful few days here at ProggRob's joint.  I was running some frequency sweeps I downloaded long ago from Realtraps, and around the 50hz mark are heard a really loud metallic rattle coming from behind the speakers.  WHAT WAS THAT??  I wondered.  Well I walked around back of the OBs and found a washer on the mounting screws which attach the driver mounting plates to the baffle that was completely loose.  So I checked the others, all very, very loose (all 24 of them).  So I tighten everything up feeling half embarrassed and half excited that my sonic potential was heretofore completely unrealized with loose drivers in the rig.  I sit back down the listen, and the presentation tightens up all around, bass improves and micro detail takes a large step forward.  Feeling emboldened, I decide to play with my plate amps for the 10^9th time to see if this newfound bass integration will yield a way to increase the frequency output of the Augies up towards 100hz.  I changed the roll-off from 24db/octave to 12/db, bump the crossover point to 55hz and dial in the volume.  Nice.  Been listening for a couple days like this.  Really nice.  So finally having sold some gear I hit up Music Direct to see what I can blow money on and find Roomtunes Cornertunes, 4 for $160 to treat the remaining untreated corners in my room.  Anyone have experience with Michael Green's products?  Anyhow, I had other plans for equipment sale money but with this bass I'm experiencing I decided to invest in it a bit more.  The treatments arrive tomorrow, just in time for a road trip to Michigan on Saturday 😢

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #234 - 05/29/15 at 14:48:08

Rob,

I have two rattles in my room that are driving me crazy.  One is a vent that goes crazy at around 50Hz and the other I haven't found yet.  I think I will create a playlist in iTunes with just that frequency and repeat it until I find it.

Dave, the GIK looks a lot like my Menards special:

I'll have to see if they list the dimensions on their web site.

These are fairly easy to build but I have been too lazy to finish my writeup on them.  They are based off these panels you can buy at Menards.  Raven did the calcs in QRDude. Tongue

Also Rob, you got me thinking I should bring the skylines I built back into the room.  They were on the back wall until I got the styro fractal diffuser array.  I am currently trying them at the first reflection point - on the floor.

I am not sure I like how they sound. They seem to cloud up the soundstage, but it did remind me that these reflection points have an impact.  I have DIY acoustic tiles in the drop ceiling at ~the first reflection points above.

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #235 - 05/31/15 at 17:34:49

Dave1210, I am driving the ERRx with a Torii MK3 and now with ZDSD from computer server. This is wonderful combo. I don't see a reason to upgrade the Torii3 at the moment but the 6C33 monos will be intriguing. Can't stop the itch.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #236 - 06/08/15 at 00:52:05

I am getting significantly greater wrap around sound by moving a couple room treatments into the hallway entrance during serious listening sessions.  I think the result would be even better if I had 2 diffusion panels there.  Once I get this all figured out I might go for some art panels (absorption), to clean up the look a bit.  Making the diffusion panels look better is a bit more tricky.  We are in the process of redecorating a bit and I'm currently not winning any points with the current setup.

RT_Block_Hallway.jpg
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #237 - 06/08/15 at 01:02:12

Well I don't care what she says I think it looks terrific Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print