Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 16:41:42 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Omega Deep Hemp Subwoofer setup (Read 45763 times)
DBC
Seasoned Member

Re: Omega Deep Hemp Subwoofer setup
Reply #50 - 04/29/15 at 17:22:07

Mark58,

I've been in and out traveling for work the past few weeks so not much time here. I saw where you purchased a used pair of Omega speakers. Have you had a chance to listen to them? Impressions? You have so many potential combinations of amps, speakers and two rooms it must be tough getting time to try different combinations.

My guess is by now you have found the Sweet Spot settings for the Omega Sub. I never change the crossover setting on my Mid Bass Modules. If I'm doing a long session listening to Classic rock like Hendrix, Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, etc. I might bump the Gain up just a tick. For the most part however I've found the Sweet Spot Settings and seldom adjust anything.

I see hdrider has a new DeepOmega 8 on order to go with his recent Omega 7XRS purchase. Will be interesting to see how much of a Boost this gives his system.

On a side note, had not listened to my system in two weeks. Got home last night and listened for about 3 hours. The Omega Super 6 monitors with Mid Bass reinforcement just sound so wonderful after being away from them for a while.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 05/10/15 at 16:16:33

Quote:
mark58 wrote:

DBC,  I see you're out spreading the gospel of Mid Bass Reinforcement...hehe.  I haven't had enough time in the Cave recently but when I get there, it's a real treat.  It still amazes me the sound I get from these Omega Alinco Super 6XRS speakers that cost 1/5th what I paid for the HR-1s.  Despite the cost difference, the Omegas are true over achievers.  It seems that down firing ports in these Omegas and my Zu Souls provide deeper and more satisfying Bass than conventional front or rear ports...just my impression.

Things have only gotten better with the Omega Deep Hemp Sub in the mix.  I have kept the frequency at about three O'clock and vary the gain occasionally depending on the Bass content of the recording....usually between 9 and 12 O'clock.  I also recommend the Sub Dudes.  I still haven't added them under the speakers.  I'm not sure that they would yield much improvement.  I may move the one I have under a speaker and see if I can tell a difference without the Sub in the loop.

Anyway, DBC, keep up the crusade.  I couldn't imagine not having an Omega Sub in the Cave.  Happy Listening,  Mark.

Mark, thanks for the update. I knew you were in for a treat when I saw your Omega purchase. I'm still trying to Fully Wrap My Brain Around The Omega Sound.

I fully understand your skepticism about placing bottom ported speakers on Isolation Platforms. I still think they are worth trying for the following reasons:

If Newtons third law "For Every Action There Is An Equal But Opposite Reaction" still applies then my guess is you have just about as much acoustic energy radiating off the back side of the driver exiting the bottom ports of your Zu as you do being radiated (dispersed over a large area) out into your listening space from the front facing 10" driver ??? Only difference is the energy exiting the bottom is being focused on a small area of the floor before being dispersed out into the room. So a lot of energy goes directly into the floor (translation = vibration)

I found with my downward firing Mid Bass Modules sitting directly on the floor and MBM volume set at 12 O'clock I could get smooth even Bass response on all music material at low to moderate listening levels. It was primarily when I played at higher volume levels that some material got Boomy (too much bass) due to unwanted room reinforcement & wall vibrations. I think each room has a Low Frequency Tipping Point where it will Load Up or reinforce certain frequencies.

This morning I listened to all types of music with the Mid Bass Module volume set at 12 O'clock where I usually have it. The Bass was Smooth, Even, Detailed and very Full on all of it. Most of these recordings would not be considered Audiophile Grade either. There was a time when I believed (like many others) that Bass Levels on different recordings could vary by a wide margin. What I've been hearing recently proves to me this is not the case.

As an experiment you might go back to some of the recordings where you used a 9 O'clock volume setting on the sub. Try setting the volume at 11 or 12 O'clock and listening at low to moderate volume. If the Bass sounds relatively smooth and even at lower volume but starts to get overwhelming (Boomy / Lumpy) as volume is increased then I would suspect unwanted room interactions (that are reinforcing certain low frequencies) and not the music material itself.

Obviously the Isolation Platforms are designed to block the direct transfer of acoustic energy downward into the floor which then travels through the floor and up the walls. The Platforms disperse the energy outward in a radial fashion into the room so that all room surfaces see only a fraction of the energy and are less likely to become excited (vibrate) and reinforce narrow Low Frequency bands.

Would it be worth 120 bucks to be able to set your Sub volume at 12 O'clock and leave it while having everything sound full and smooth ??? Worst case, the platforms do nothing and you return them for a refund. PM me the return shipping receipt and I'll gladly send you a check for the return shipping. I could be wrong but I don't think there is a chance in Hell you will be sending the SubDude Isolation Platforms back after placing them under your bottom ported speakers.  LOL.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 05/10/15 at 17:36:00

LOL DBC,  the truth is I'm rather lazy recently...hence my lack of tube rolling and my delay purchasing the two extra Sub Dudes, etc.  Besides dropping the needle on the TT, I've done little else in the Cave for quite some time.  I honestly spend little time thinking about the "Why" of all things Audio preferring just to sit back and enjoy.  Things are pretty good right now in the Cave and in my second system.  

I think the reason for my playing with the gain on the Sub is simply that more recent recordings have far more Bass in the mix when compared to the Jazz recordings of the 50's and 60's that I enjoy. For example, the first LP I played with the Omegas in the Cave was "CSN", there was so much Bass that I got up to turn the gain on the Sub down a bit, only to find I hadn't turned it on.  I don't find the Bass Boomy at the levels I listen but I do know that there is vibration coming through the floor...I can sometimes feel it in my feet..  So I will eventually get around to trying the Sub Dudes.  As I've said, I may put the one I have under a speaker and compare it to the sound without it...powering up only that side of the Torii with no Sub in the loop. On second thought, that's far too much work, I'll just order them to find out.  What every I do, I'll share my findings here.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 05/10/15 at 18:30:45

DBC,  I just ordered two more Sub Dudes from Sweetwater.  In a few days we'll have the verdict.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 05/10/15 at 21:56:17

Quote:
mark58 wrote:

I don't find the Bass Boomy at the levels I listen but I do know that there is vibration coming through the floor...I can sometimes feel it in my feet..

Vibration in the floor is transmitted out to and up the side walls. I think your room is reinforcing the low frequency energy being ported out the bottom of your Omegas. It's not too much Bass in the recording, rather too much Bass from room reinforcement (floor vibration).

I'm cranking the Hell out of Metallica's Ride The Lightning CD right now (swimming in Bass) and there is virtually no floor vibration when I place my hand flat of the floor. The Bass is Clean, Clean, Clean. Mid Bass volume set at 12 O'clock.

Having the Omega's and your Sub all on Isolation Platforms should eliminate the floor vibration. My guess is your perception at that point will be that the Omega's are producing Less Overall Bass (since the floor is no longer reinforcing the Bass via vibration). The Bass you do have should be Cleaner and more Defined. This should allow you to use your Sub for Mid Bass reinforcement on music material with Lots of Bass in the recording (less turning the Sub volume Up & Down).

May take you a while to wrap your brain around the change in Bass ???  I look forward to your feedback.    

DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 05/14/15 at 14:58:22

Quote:
Mark58 wrote:

I'm so wrapped up in the sound, I almost forgot to post...this Rhino Vinyl reissue is finished... this 45 RPM Music Matters Blue Note reissue is playing now...

This is the second listening session with a new/different set of speaker cables and tonight I have added Sub Dude isolation platforms under the Omega Alinco 6XRS speakers. I already had a Sub Dude under the recently acquired Omega Deep Hemp Sub.  

The combined effect of these changes is pretty amazing.  The new speaker cables have greatly reduced the troublesome high end I was experiencing on some recordings. A warmer, more pleasant sound.  The Sub Dude's effect is more subtle.  The Bass is tighter, clearer, cleaner and better defined than with the Omegas' bottom ports firing directly into the carpeted floor.  Overall, definitely a change for the better.

DBC, you were correct in your assumptions. Will, you were too...I'm currently using the Nanotecs.  Mark.

Mark, my assumptions were based on characteristics you described that I had encountered in my room: #1 Having to make fairly large Sub volume adjustments depending on music material. #2 Feeling some vibration in the floor.

Basically every room has a Low Frequency Tipping Point where the surfaces will vibrate and produce Low Frequency Noise throwing a Low Frequency Veil over everything. You should be hearing more of the Original Recording and less Room Generated Low Frequency Noise now.

Hitting the Low Frequency Tipping Point for any given room is a Cumulative thing. Your mains alone my not do it but add a little Sub and the Low Frequency Tipping Point is triggered. The Key is to Dissipate low frequency energy from the Sub and Mains evenly out into the room where the Listener gets Enveloped while at the same time not over exciting one or more of the room surfaces.

The thing that really interests me here is that your room is relatively small. Generally I've found smaller rooms more difficult to achieve really good Bass in. But last time I had a system in a small room I did not know about Isolation Platforms.

DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 05/14/15 at 15:19:02

Quote:
Mark58 wrote:

DBC,  I've got another question for you.  When I move the HR-1s back into the Cave in June, do you think the Sub Dudes will have a similar effect as with the Omegas?  The HR-1s have a Plinth on the bottom with a fixed gap through which the Bass passes, so it really doesn't fire directly into the floor as the Omegas do. By the way,  I'm having a Ball!  Mark.

[urlhttp://www.htguys.com/news/2010/12/5/auralex-subdude-video-review.html][/url]

Quote:
From above link:

Awesome! I am SO pleased that you found the SubDude to make a worthwhile improvement. I try not to use hyperbole when recommending that people decouple their subwoofer and speakers, but I do make very strong statements because it typically takes that level of persuasion in order to get people to try it!

So it comes as a great relief when other people discover that decoupling really does improve the sound both inside and outside of your theater! Results do vary, but I have yet to come across anyone who found zero improvement with a decoupling device in place.

One thing that can make the SubDude/GRAMMA's improvement less noticeable is if the subwoofer or speaker was already sitting on top of a very thick carpet pad and carpet. Essentially, a thick carpet pad will already act as a decoupling device. However, most subwoofers and speakers have "feet" or some sort - either "spikes" or just small, rubber feet that stick out from the bottom. These "feet" will typically sink deep into any carpet and will often sink deep enough to still couple the subwoofer or speakers to the floor. So even with carpet, the SubDude/GRAMMA can often still deliver a noticeable improvement.

Ara mentioned that the bass in his theater actually sounded louder with the SubDude in place and surmised that perhaps the reason was because more bass was entering the room due to no longer entering the floor. This isn't actually the case. What is actually happening is that - without the SubDude in place - the room itself is shaking in sympathy with the subwoofer. In essence, the walls, floor and ceiling all end up acting as huge speaker surfaces. They shake along with the shaking of the subwoofer and, as a result, produce sound waves of their own. These sound waves (which are a clear form of distortion) interact with the soundwaves coming from the subwoofer - in exactly the same way that reflected soundwaves interact with the direct soundwaves. In other words, the shaking of the walls/ceiling/floor creates destructive and constructive interference when the soundwaves created by the shaking walls/ceiling/floor interact with the direct soundwaves from the subwoofer AND the reflected soundwaves.

The bottom line is that decoupling greatly reduces one major source of distortion and one major source of additional soundwaves within the room. With fewer instances of either destructive or constructive interference, the result is a somewhat flatter frequency response within the room. To be clear, both the direct soundwaves and the reflected soundwaves still exist, so decoupling is NO panacea for frequency response! But you DO eliminate the soundwaves that were the result of shaking walls/ceiling/floor, so that has an audible effect!

Some people experience LESS bass volume when they add the SubDude. That would be because the shaking walls/ceiling/floor happened to be creating constructive interference at that person's particular seating location. In Ara's case, it is very likely that the shaking walls/ceiling/floor happened to be creating destructive interference at his seating location, so that is why the bass seemed to get louder with the SubDude in place!

Regardless of whether the shaking walls/ceiling/floor happen to create either constructive or destructive interference at your particular seat though, you can expect to hear "tighter" bass with a decoupling device in place. And that is because, regardless of your room acoustics or seating location, reducing additional distortion soundwaves will always result in fewer instances of either constructive or destructive interference. As I said earlier, that means some measure of improvement in the frequency response and you are also removing a major source of distortion, which is always a good thing Wink

Mark, personally from this point forward I will be using Isolation Platforms under all my Subs and Mains even if they are not downward firing or bottom ported. My room benefited when I placed my Klipsch RF-7 floorstanders on platforms. I was able to run my Sub Volume slightly higher without hitting my rooms Low Frequency Tipping point.

Just be careful you don't place your Omega Sub too close to adjacent walls. I find I have to have my Mid Bass Modules at least 12 inches away from the front wall or else they will excite the front wall which transmits vibration into the floor.

DBC   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 05/14/15 at 17:02:12

I have my HR1s on isolation platforms that I designed and built and I agree with most everything being said here.  What I am wondering is why manufactures of speakers are constantly marketing their speakers to mount on spikes given that spikes are a way of coupling to the floor?  Are they trying to artificially enhance the bass "sound" even at the expense of boom?

I also think that one can't predict how any given speaker will perform in any given room due to the complexity of the structural interplay between the sound and the building structure.  Sometimes the structure will damp out the bass waves and other times it might enhance the bass waves.  Consequently it will never be one size fits all.  Each of us has to decide what sounds best for our rooms with any given speaker.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 05/14/15 at 17:43:22

Quote:
Archie wrote:

I have my HR1s on isolation platforms that I designed and built and I agree with most everything being said here.  What I am wondering is why manufactures of speakers are constantly marketing their speakers to mount on spikes given that spikes are a way of coupling to the floor?  Are they trying to artificially enhance the bass "sound" even at the expense of boom?

I also think that one can't predict how any given speaker will perform in any given room due to the complexity of the structural interplay between the sound and the building structure.  Sometimes the structure will damp out the bass waves and other times it might enhance the bass waves.  Consequently it will never be one size fits all.  Each of us has to decide what sounds best for our rooms with any given speaker.

Archie, thanks for the input regarding the HR1's on Isolation Platforms in your room. I would agree that the physical structure of your home comes into play. In any home I would think eliminating Mechanical Transmission of vibration directly into the floor (speakers spiked to the floor) or Acoustic Transmission (downward firing drivers or ports) is a plus.

I would think Zu owners with bottom ported speakers in particular would find it worth the possible return shipping expense to experiment with the SubDude Isolation Platforms.

DBC   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 05/15/15 at 17:13:36

I think it was Will who has the HR1s on a brick floor and spikes or soft feet.  His floor, brick on sand or concrete is probably pretty "dead" unlike my framed floor with 3/4 inch plywood over-layed with 3/4 inch wood planking that acts like a piano soundboard!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #60 - 05/15/15 at 17:25:08

I have mine on Ingress Roller-Blocks (on top of think carpet over a concrete floor). Best situation I have found. SubDudes would put the tweeters a little too high.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 05/16/15 at 00:00:49

DBC and others,  thanks for the input.  I'll report my impressions when I move the HR-1s into the Cave and place them on the sub Dudes, probably the beginning of June.  Mark.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 05/17/15 at 18:03:00

Quote:
Archie wrote:

I think it was Will who has the HR1s on a brick floor and spikes or soft feet.  His floor, brick on sand or concrete is probably pretty "dead" unlike my framed floor with 3/4 inch plywood over-layed with 3/4 inch wood planking that acts like a piano soundboard!

http://www.htguys.com/news/2010/12/5/auralex-subdude-video-review.html

Quote:
Quote from above link:

First, re: concrete - having a decoupling device in place absolutely makes a difference when you have a concrete floor! Many people are under the misconception that concrete is inert. Concrete is FAR from inert. Concrete moves and shakes. Typically, a concrete floor or walls will have more mass than typical wood-frame construction. So it takes more energy to get more mass to move. But when that greater mass DOES move, it actually transmits sound energy more effectively because it is a denser material. Ever seen that famous film of the concrete bridge rolling like a wave when a strong wind got it moving at its resonant frequency? Concrete is anything but solid and inert!

Quote:
Fellow audio enthusiast with carpet over concrete 02/16/15:

I dug out my isolation platforms ...and to be honest, I have mixed feelings. With the MBM on the floor, I can easily forgo having a sub. Not so on the platform. While the platforms certainly clean up the bass, SPL levels seem to have been reduced by about 6 db, perhaps even more. I've tried to compensate by turning up the volume on the MBM from 11 o clock to 12:30. Also the bass doesn't seem as extended / deep as it does when resting on the carpet.

Fellow audio enthusiast with carpet over concrete 02/28/15:

DBC, I haven't had as much time as I'd like to listen. Having said that, I have continued to readjust the levels and now I find the bass to be quite satisfying. Is it better than before... I cannot say for sure at this point. My gut feeling is yes, it is cleaner - but all I know for sure is at the time I made the switch, the difference was anything but subtle. I wait another month or so and then place the MBM back on the floor. I should be able to reach a conclusion by then.

The case above where my acquaintance was using a downward firing Mid Mass Module on a first level apartment with carpet over concrete. Seems as though concrete being so dense it readily transmits vibrations out and directly into all the side walls.

DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 05/17/15 at 21:40:35

Quote:
Mark58 wrote:

Next is this often played favorite.  Gary Peacock's Bass is so powerful I had to turn the Sub down.

Mark, just curious. Where was the sub volume knob set and how much did you have to turn the volume knob setting down?

DBC   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 05/17/15 at 21:49:13

DBC, it was at about 11:30 and I turned it down to about 9:30.  For this album the Sub could have probably been turned off and not have been missed.  There was no boominess...just too much Bass volume.  It's back at about 11:00 for the Beatles.  On the Blue Note reissues I have it set at 11:30 to 12:00...the Blue Notes often are a bit Bass light.  Mark.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 05/17/15 at 21:56:47

Induced vibration depends on the natural frequency of the object and the frequency distribution of the source.  Damping (friction) is a big factor.

There can't be any fixed rules about this subject since the systems all differ and are highly complex.  The Subdude quote isn't really science/engineering.

In my opinion isolation can't hurt but there are many on this Forum who discern such fine detail that I trust their ears in their rooms.  After all, everything colors the sound; good, bad and indifferent, so room/speaker coupling can be a positive as well as a negative.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 05/31/15 at 12:13:50

The inverted polarity post was mine. I had a 1st run Mini-Torii and the phase was inverted on it.

You should just be running normal phase, at least with my Rachel amp everything is normal.

With the MT, the sub would just short out when connected, thus I had to reverse the cables and choose to flip the polarity switch on the Deep Hemp.

I still use my Deep Hemp and enjoy it a lot.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print