Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 20:47:13 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Omega Deep Hemp Subwoofer setup (Read 45766 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Omega Deep Hemp Subwoofer setup
03/29/15 at 22:14:31

This morning I bought  the above Sub on ebay (see below post from earlier today).  I've been reading about how to hook it up, in my case to a Torii MK IV.  Correct me if I'm wrong,  I'll need another pair of speaker cables that will be attached to the speaker terminals of the Torri then  to the High Level terminals labeled "From Amplifier".  And for some reason specific to Decware Amps, I need to connect red wire to black terminal and black to red.  Then I need to try the phase switch on the sub for the best result.  Also adjusting freq and gain controls.  Did I miss anything?  One pair of speaker cables and four connections each on the Amp and Sub.  Mark.  

PS...some specs
8” Deephemp driver
Critically sealed box .577
Downfiring driver
Quiet cabinet construction multilayer walls and sealed amplifier
Variable phase
Steep low pass filter
220-watt amp with linear power supply
Goes down to 26Hz
Weighs 50 pounds

OK. I'm not sure I got a good deal but I just won this auction for $506.67 plus $50 shipping.  This is an Omega Deep Hemp Sub.  It is not the current model but a previous one.  It has an 8" driver.  Now that I bought it, I'm going to do a search to find out more...sorta backwards...I know.  Does anyone here have personal experience with this Subwoofer?  Mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Speaker-Systems-Deep-Hemp-Powered-Subwoofer-Stunni...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Re: Omega Deep Hemp Subwoofer setup
Reply #1 - 03/31/15 at 13:42:40

Mark58

Quote:
From the Omega Site:

Subwoofers

The DeepHemp Cube lives on in the deepOmega 8.  The only change is it has been made more compact (the 8" driver loves small cabinet volume).  It still uses the same plate amp and driver.

DeepOmega 8 in level 1 finish now sells for $895.00.

Yes a second set of speaker wires attached from the amp or speakers (whichever is more convenient). The sub draws virtually no power from the amp so very small gauge wire can be used. I use Cat-5 network cable purchased by the foot at Lowe's. This photo shows Cat-5 from my left speaker to the left Sub and then out to my left Mid-Bass module.

Not sure if the Omega sub has a 2 or 3 prong power cord? My Hsu have  2 prong (no earth ground) and I had a hum. I attached the Green test lead shown in the photo from the amp chassis to Earth Ground on my surge protection strip (sub is now dead quiet).

I have my sub connected + & - from amp connected to + & - at Sub with phase set to 0.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #2 - 03/31/15 at 21:14:13

Great score! Louis @ Omega Speakers will be shipping my 7 XRS Mk2 on Wednesday and I have been thinking about the 12'' sub. Let us know how you like it when you get things settled in. Happy listening, Chris

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/01/15 at 02:45:59

DBC,  thanks for the info.  The cord in the pic has three prongs, so grounded.  In reading at the audio circle forum, it seems when these came out, the cabinet was a little larger than for the "Cube".  This is what Louis said "The main difference of both the cube and the DH is the cube is bit more punchy. The DH is faster and would suit you better with Latin and percussion."  I've copied more from Louis on the AC forum, below.  I'll let you know how it sounds once set up. Mark.

DeepHemp Series

Call me a purist!

If forced to choose, I’d opt for errors of omission over adding unwanted resonances or ‘clutter’ to the music my speakers produce. So no surprise here: I find many subs too slow and boomy to seamlessly mate with my single-driver designs.

If you own Omega single-drivers, or maybe a set of high-quality planer or electrostatic speakers, likely you’ve come to the same conclusion: Getting bass right requires a fast and musical sub. Not something easily done in the $1,000 to $1,500 price range.

You’ll Never Know the DeepHemp is in Your Listening Room

It has taken me several years to design a driver and cabinet alignments worthy of the Omega Logo. But they’re here now, and when properly positioned, your listening room will actually ‘breathe with the music.’

Both DeepHemps feature an extremely heavy-duty, proprietary Omega HempCone driver, housed in meticulously designed hand-crafted cabinets.
Hemp by its nature is lightweight and a very ridged material. These traits contribute to the speed and layered-tones produced by both Omega DeepHemp subwoofers. Speed and tone are further enhanced by:

   Use of treated surrounds for the speaker cones, which are much quicker than standard rubber surrounds found on many subwoofers
   Use of a ridged, oversized dustcover, formed in a concave shape, adding structural integrity to the HempCone

DeepHemps seamlessly integrate with all Omega single-driver speakers. And can be successfully paired with any speaker system that benefits from deep, well-articulated, musical bass.

DeepHemps are available in all Omega finishes, so not only does the sound blend seamlessly with your speakers, the appearance does too!
Like all Omega drivers and cabinet designs, DeepHemps are proprietary and only available from Omega Speaker Systems.

Omega Subs are Powerful!

Both subs are powered by internal 220 watt amplifiers. Amps are housed in their own chamber, so there’s no mechanical interaction between the amp and internal sound waves. This design improves sonic performance for number of reasons.

The DeepHemp amp features:

   A steep fourth-order slope (24dB / octave), minimizing interaction with your main speakers
   Toggle phase control, helping DeepHemps better integrate with a variety of speaker designs
   Linear transformer, with plenty of power to drive loud passages
   Inputs for both high-level (speaker terminals on your amp) and low-level (RCA interconnects from your preamp or line-stage)
   High-quality gold-plated connectors

Don’t Forget the Spikes

DeepHemps come standard with four 2.5” gold-plated brass spikes, helping you optimize room coupling. Gold-plated discs also come standard to protect spikes from damaging your hardwood floors.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/02/15 at 18:43:13

I got a notice from ebay that the Deep Hemp Sub was shipped this morning via UPS.  Should be here early next week.  I'm looking forward to having another Audio Toy to play with.  Mark.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/08/15 at 12:41:09

Mark,

Was looking at your Sub and see your crossover goes up to 180hz. I run my Mid Bass Module at 150hz with very positive effect. That would be a crossover setting of about 3 O'clock on your sub.

I find the 150hz setting produces Bass notes that are much better defined and with a greater presence. Closer to Live Bass in a club. I'm curious if the Omega can play as cleanly as my MiB Bass Module up to 150hz ???

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/08/15 at 13:40:58

Quote:
And for some reason specific to Decware Amps, I need to connect red wire to black terminal and black to red.  Then I need to try the phase switch on the sub for the best result.

Mark,

I don't understand the reasoning here ???  Would you have a link to where the need for this is explained?

DBC   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/08/15 at 17:31:20

DBC,  before leaving the Cave last night I turned the frequency on the Sub to the max (180 Hz) and played Joni Mitchell's "Hijra".  It has several cuts with Jaco on bass and can be dynamic in places.  It sounded pretty good.  I'm still not used to the sound with the sub.  It deemphasizes the High end to the point where I found myself actually turning up the treble control on the Torii.  We'll see,  I may end up putting in a smaller than 10 Ohm resistor in the HR-1's.

All I've read about Omega's Sub says they are very fast and blend well with the main speakers...especially full range drivers like omegas.  

I'm not sure where I read the switching red and black wires...I think it was on this site on a prior thread.  I hooked mine up normally but used the reverse phase as recommended by Louis.  If I can find it I'll add it here.

I may shut things down early and move to the Cave. Mark.

PS...DBC, I did a search of Decware's forum using the word Subwoofer looking for the post about reversing red for black speaker wires.  I skimmed 150 posts and didn't find it.  It may be on Audio Circle or another forum.  It's probably the same guy who gave me the misinformation about speaker cable length with subs.

PSS... I should also mention that I had no problems with "ground Loop Hum" or other unwanted hum.  It might be partly due to plugging the Sub into the Running Springs Audio Jaco Power conditioner with all my other gear...so only one plug in the wall.  

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/08/15 at 19:14:44

Quote:
Mark58 wrote:

I'm still not used to the sound with the sub.  It deemphasizes the High end to the point where I found myself actually turning up the treble control on the Torii.  We'll see,  I may end up putting in a smaller than 10 Ohm resistor in the HR-1's.

Mark, you make the point I've been making for several years now.

Quote:
DBC wrote:

I was in the same pickle using different tubes, cables etc. to tame the top a bit. However as Dave states these changes always sacrificed a bit of the clarity & detail that I liked. So as I analyzed my system I took this approach: problem was not too much Top End but rather to little Bottom End. It was more a problem of Frequency Balance, the bottom was too light lacking the Body & Weight that Dave mentions. Approaching the problem in this way led me to the Mid Bass Module that allowed me to reinforce the 50hz to 150hz range, the all important Body & Weight.

Before the Mid Bass Module I would typically set the volume knob on my Super Zen at 12 O'clock. This was just getting into the Fatigue zone on at least half of my CD's and I still lacked the quantity of Body & Weight I was looking for. After the Mid Bass Module I now set the volume at 9 to 10 O'clock and my system actually sounds much Bigger and more Powerful with absolutely no fatigue. The Mid Bass Module allowed me to adjust the Frequency Balance in my system to my room, the mains I use and my personal taste. The adjustment possibilities are what make the MBM so useful.

I forgot most of you guys fight a hot Top End with Treble Controls and or Speaker Resistors. If you let the Top End breathe it will restore the Frequency Balance now that you are capable of a Full Bottom End.

DBC   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/08/15 at 20:34:17

Yup you nailed my fight with the high end to a tee.  I have RFT/Seimens EL-34s that I really loved, beautiful mid range, the only problem was they extended the highs more than I liked with some...many recordings.  So I experimented with different tubes in the CSP3 and ZP3 and finally went the resistor route then bought the Russian Output tubes that are less refined but also don't have the extended highs that the RFT EL 34s have.  Now with the Sub...really more of a Mid Bass Module...I think I'll dial back some of my changes.  Might pull out the Mundorf Supreme 10 ohm resistors and see what happens.  At some point I'll put the RFTs back in...I hope they act better with the Sub.  I have three Quads that were rather expensive.  I also have the stock KT-66s Steve sent with the Torii MK IV that never really got a fair trial.

I find that I'm adjusting the gain on the Sub depending on the recording.  I turned it up with Miles Davis' "Milestones" and then back down with Van Morrison and the Eagles. I sort of thought this would be a set it and forget it type of deal.  What have you been doing?  Thanks for all the input.  It's all coming together and sounding great...the best $560 I've spent lately.  Mark.

PS...actually the treble has been just about right with the last three LPs with the treble control at neutral and the resistors in place.  I don't think I'll be making changes for a while.  Maybe give myself a month to get used to the new sound.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/08/15 at 21:02:04

Quote:
Mark58 wrote:

I find that I'm adjusting the gain on the Sub depending on the recording.  I turned it up with Miles Davis' "Milestones" and then back down with Van Morrison and the Eagles. I sort of thought this would be a set it and forget it type of deal.  What have you been doing?

First thing is make sure you don't have any Sub Hum. If your Sub and the rest of your system are properly grounded to Earth Ground then your Sub should be pretty much Dead Quiet with you Disk Player on pause. Sub Hum is usually 60hz so any music material with lots in the 60hz range will get Boomy. One reason you may have to turn Sub volume down on some material.

Second thing is to minimize unwanted room Interactions. Your down firing sub pumps a lot of energy into the floor causing the floor & walls (since they are physically connected) to vibrate causing Boom at certain frequencies on some music material and not others. IMO a SubDude isolation platform is a must to reduce as much as possible this effect. My Mid Bass Modules are on platforms but I have  them pulled out from the front wall about a foot. Otherwise they excite the front wall causing the wall & floor to vibrate & Boom. Best way to tell if your floor is vibrating is to check if you have vibration in your equipment rack.

Before I addressed these two issues I could only set my Mid Bass Module volume at about 9:00 O'clock, any higher and it would get Boomy. Some material was worse than others. Now I typically have the volume Set at 12 O'clock which is a big increase. If I have some really well recorded material, I might bump the volume up to 1:00 O'clock.

So to answer you question, most of the time mine are set at 12:00 O'clock for everything. The other night I watched a very well recorded Red Hot Chilli Peppers DVD with great sound and Bumped it up to 1:00 O'clock. Flea's Bass and the Drums were Wonderful.

Let me know how you make out.

DBC   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/08/15 at 21:38:34

First...No hum at all from the Sub.  I've always had a tiny bit from the Amp?  But it's barely noticeable unless I put my ear up to a speaker without music playing...so good there.

Next,  I don't think I have boominess but moved the Sub one foot away from the front wall...it had been 7 inches.  Now the sub is closer to the Left speaker...9 inches.  But from what you've said, this doesn't matter.

I don't really have an equipment rack, I use a coffee table in front of my listening position that holds the TT, CD player and CP3.  The Torii is on an end table behind the coffee table..I know, not ideal but it works for me.  No vibration that I can tell.  My floors are concrete covered by carpet so probably not as much problem as with a floating wood floor.  But still some vibration enters the concrete...I know.  I have the Sub with spikes sitting on a piece of wood. I think I'll order the Sub Dude anyway.

I really think the gain change is recording specific.  The Miles is a 50's recording that is a bit light on Bass and the 70's and 80's Rock has more well recorded bass so there's too much at the gain level the Miles LP was at.  I had the Rock at 12 o'clock and the Miles Davis LP at 3 o'clock...I think. A work in progress.  Mark.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/08/15 at 22:51:43

Quote:
Mark 58 wrote:

No vibration that I can tell.  My floors are concrete covered by carpet so probably not as much problem as with a floating wood floor.  But still some vibration enters the concrete...I know.  I have the Sub with spikes sitting on a piece of wood. I think I'll order the Sub Dude anyway.

Quote:
Quote from Auralex Representative (SubDude):

Your question comes up all the time. I will answer it in two parts:

First, re: concrete - having a decoupling device in place absolutely makes a difference when you have a concrete floor! Many people are under the misconception that concrete is inert. Concrete is FAR from inert. Concrete moves and shakes. Typically, a concrete floor or walls will have more mass than typical wood-frame construction. So it takes more energy to get more mass to move. But when that greater mass DOES move, it actually transmits sound energy more effectively because it is a denser material. Ever seen that famous film of the concrete bridge rolling like a wave when a strong wind got it moving at its resonant frequency? Concrete is anything but solid and inert!

In your case, what might actually make the SubDude/ GRAMMA less necessary is your thick carpet. As I said, a thick carpet pad will already act as a decoupling device. The question is whether or not your subwoofer or tower speakers have managed to couple to the floor simply by crushing the carpet under their weight or if they have "feet" of some kind. If your subwoofer or speakers have "spikes", "cones" or "nubs" on the bottom, you can be fairly sure that those "feet" will sink deeply enough into your carpet that they will act to couple your subwoofer/speakers to the floor. If your sub/speakers have "feet", then the SubDude/GRAMMA will very likely still make a noticeable difference. If your sub/speakers do not have any "feet", then it is much harder to predict. The whole point though is to "float" your subwoofer/speakers so that they do not couple with the floor. If your carpet pad and carpet already achieves this "floatation", then the SubDude/GRAMMA won't make much of a difference. But any sort of "feet" will pierce or sink deeply, and just a very heavy sub/speaker might simply crush even thick carpet.

One easy way to predict: if you go into another room while bass is playing, can you easily hear the bass in that adjacent room? If so, your subwoofer is almost certainly coupled to the floor! As Ara said, with the SubDude in place, the "bleeding" of bass into other rooms is cut down dramatically! If your thick carpet is already effectively decoupling your subwoofer, you won't have this "bleeding" of the bass into other rooms to begin with!

Regardless though, concrete is never a reason to forego decoupling. Concrete construction will shake and decoupling makes a very noticeable improvement, just as it does with wood-frame or metal-frame construction.

I had a Buddy with a Mid Bass Module sitting on a carpeted concrete floor. Placed it on an Isolation Platform and the difference was quite hard to believe. The concrete it appears was transmitting the vibration straight out to the walls. So concrete can be worse than a wood floor.

If you have the Omega Sub sitting on a wood surface with thick carpet & padding between it and the concrete then you may likely be OK. Play some Bass Heavy music with & without the Sub Active and just place your hand on the walls to see if there is any appreciable difference.

If you feel the need to adjust Sub volume between songs on the same disk then I would be concerned about inadequate Sub isolation. You are right however about Older Recordings. Sometimes I find I can bump up the Sub volume and really bring Life to them. A good example is the old Jefferson Airplane. Bass was different back then, It was a lot more subtle and reinforcing that 40 to 150hz range can bring it to the surface so that you can hear individual notes and get your toes tapping.

Any time you get a new toy like this you are going to Fiddle. Once you have tried everything 6-ways to Sunday you will know what works and Sub volume adjustments will be few.

DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 04/09/15 at 00:52:39

Quote:
Mark58 worte:

Might pull out the Mundorf Supreme 10 ohm resistors and see what happens.  At some point I'll put the RFTs back in...I hope they act better with the Sub.  I have three Quads that were rather expensive.  I also have the stock KT-66s Steve sent with the Torii MK IV that never really got a fair trial.

Before I had the Mid Bass Modules I tended to turn the Amp Volume up in an attempt to Fatten Up the lower end. Problem was I would hit Fatiguing Volume Levels on the High End before getting the Low End. Once I got my Mid Bass Modules tuned in (Weight & Body on the low end) I was able to tune everything else as far as amp, tubes & cables for maximum transparency & clarity without fatigue. I actually ended up with a Bigger Sound even though I now listen with the Amp Volume set lower than before I Introduced the Mid Bass Modules.

DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/09/15 at 13:58:06

Quote:
Mark58 wrote:

I'm not sure where I read the switching red and black wires...I think it was on this site on a prior thread.  I hooked mine up normally but used the reverse phase as recommended by Louis.  If I can find it I'll add it here.

Mark, I run My Mid Bass Module with the Phase Switch set to 0 degrees. Since the Mains & Mid Bass Modules are approximately the same distance from the Listening Position then the sound pressure waves from both will reach the listener at the same time and be in Phase with one another. I don't understand why Louis would recommend you use Reverse Phase (180 degrees)??? Typically you would only benefit from Reverse Phase if you Sub were significantly Closer or Significantly further away from the Listening Position than your Mains.

Quote:
What is a Pressure Wave?
Since a sound wave consists of a repeating pattern of high-pressure and low-pressure regions moving through a medium, it is sometimes referred to as a pressure wave.

Your Sub is augmenting your Mains (in other words both devices are overlapping in the 150hz and down range for the most part). With Reverse Phase set on your Sub, as High-Pressure reaches your ear from the Speakers a reciprocal Low-Pressure is reaching your ear from the Sub and these tend to cancel each other out (cancelation).

I tried switching my Mid Bass Modules to 180 degree phase this morning. To my ear there is some loss of Bass Note Definition / Articulation with the Speaker & Mid Bass Module out of Phase. Suggest you try setting the Phase on you Sub to 0 degrees and give that a listen.

Your earlier comment about "Getting Used To The Sound" with the Sub in the Mix is Dead On. As you give it more time you will be able to Wrap Your Brain Around what adjustments work.

DBC   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 04/09/15 at 14:33:11

When I get to the Cave tonight,  I'll switch the phase to 0.  My only options are off/0 or reverse.  I don't know why Louis made his recommendation...it was in the owners manual...that is just a few sheets of paper stapled together.  Mark.

IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #16 - 04/09/15 at 16:45:46

Do yourself a favor and go to The home theater shack and down load REW. It will make your life much easier when trying to set crossover points, volume, positioning your sub(s), etc..

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 04/09/15 at 17:26:20

I can appreciate that REW (Room Acoustic Analysis Software) is a useful tool in Home Theater applications where you are likely to have multiple speakers & subs scattered about a room. It's tough getting balanced frequency response. A major reason I stick with 2-channel and place any subs in approximately the same plane as the mains.

Marks sub set-up should be simple and straight forward with his sub placement and a simple 2-channel system. Also in this application the sub is simply augmenting the mains that are operating Full Range. So there are no Tricky crossover adjustments between the Sub & Mains. Simply set the crossover where it sounds best to your ear (I like 150hz), and dial in the volume to accommodate your room and personal taste and you are done.

DBC   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 04/09/15 at 17:31:54

Thanks,  I bookmarked the REW link so I can look at it later.  Is this something I can use with just a laptop or is something additional needed?  Mark.

PS...you're right DBC.  I have things pretty much figured out but would like to explore the REW just for kicks to see what it's all about.  In my room there is very little option for placement of the Sub or for the speakers for that matter.  I think I'll order a Sub Dude later today.  Where's the best deal, DBC.  I was thinking Sweetwater.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #19 - 04/09/15 at 17:51:10

mark58,  I have isoacoutics under my mains and am very happy with them. They are inexpensive and might be worth a demo before you finalize your decision. sweetwater, musicians friend, guitar center online sites etc ..all should have them.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #20 - 04/09/15 at 18:04:42

Mark,
  You can run it on a laptop and all you need is a few more IC and a radio shack SPL meter. setting up REW can be a bit tricky but once that is done doing measurement is easy. You will be in for a shock
to see how bad, sounds good to me really is. Small movements in positioning your speaker and sub make a huge differance. Just by listening to music you can't dial it in properly. You can make that song or album sound good to you but what about the next one.
 My brother and I have a term for that. We call it the ELP effect.
I have a ELP album that has a song called "tank". One part of the song would make you jump - very powerful. I sent the record to him to hear and he said it was nothing special but listen to the bass in Lucky man. Bottom line it turned out I had a peak at 34hz and he didn't.
But moving my two subs aroud I was able to tame the peak and fill in some nulls with the aid of REW.

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 04/09/15 at 18:41:54

Quote:
Mark58 wrote:

PS...you're right DBC.  I have things pretty much figured out but would like to explore the REW just for kicks to see what it's all about.  In my room there is very little option for placement of the Sub or for the speakers for that matter.  I think I'll order a Sub Dude later today.  Where's the best deal, DBC.  I was thinking Sweetwater.

Mark, by all means if REW interests you, go for it. These type of measurements can be instructive and tell you something about your room. I just didn't want to risk you getting discouraged by thinking you would have to take a zillion computer measurements to get two speakers and one sub to sound relatively good in your room. Trust your ears.

I couldn't find the Subdude anywhere for less than Sweetwater. They have fast shipping and No Questions Asked if you decide you want to return it.

DBC   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 04/09/15 at 19:27:02

Just ordered the 15x15 inch Sub Dude.  The isoacoutics, although cheaper, I don't think would work for my down firing Sub with Spikes.  For those intrested...from Sweetwater, $60, free shipping. Mark.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 04/10/15 at 21:37:03

DBC wrote on 04/09/15 at 17:26:20:
I can appreciate that REW (Room Acoustic Analysis Software) is a useful tool in Home Theater applications where you are likely to have multiple speakers & subs scattered about a room. It's tough getting balanced frequency response. A major reason I stick with 2-channel and place any subs in approximately the same plane as the mains.

Marks sub set-up should be simple and straight forward with his sub placement and a simple 2-channel system. Also in this application the sub is simply augmenting the mains that are operating Full Range. So there are no Tricky crossover adjustments between the Sub & Mains. Simply set the crossover where it sounds best to your ear (I like 150hz), and dial in the volume to accommodate your room and personal taste and you are done.

I have always had better luck and less headaches with my sub firing on the same plane as my mains as well.  I've tried it all around the room and nothing beats the same plane for me.  This is one of the reason why I think the Omega Outlaws with built in front firing subs would work so good for me as well.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 04/11/15 at 00:49:39

OK DBC,  with a Santana LP playing at a rather loud level, gain at 12 O'clock and frequency at 3 o'clock on the sub,  I put my hand on the front wall.  There does seem to be some vibration.  Just to make sure I went to the other room with two sets of doors closed and couldn't hear the Boom Boom much but putting my hand on the common wall, there definitely was vibration.  I put my hand on the Torri and on the table it's sitting on...there was no detectable vibration.  I think the Sub Dude should reduce what little vibration I have to the floor and wall. Just as I imagined...the sub makes Rock much more enjoyable. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 04/11/15 at 20:05:00

The Sub Dude just arrived, almost exactly 48 hours after I ordered it.  Things are too warmed up to put it in  today.  I'll replace the board with the Sub Dude sometime tomorrow and will comment after a listen.  Mark.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubDudeII?adpos=1o1&creative=54989966161&...

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 04/12/15 at 14:38:34

Quote:
Mark58 wrote:

OK DBC,  with a Santana LP playing at a rather loud level, gain at 12 O'clock and frequency at 3 o'clock on the sub,  I put my hand on the front wall.  There does seem to be some vibration.  Just to make sure I went to the other room with two sets of doors closed and couldn't hear the Boom Boom much but putting my hand on the common wall, there definitely was vibration.

At Higher Volumes sound pressure waves traveling through the air will produce some vibration in the walls & floor. Point is to minimize these vibrations through Isolation & Placement. I think the SubDude will give you Piece Of Mind that you have provided Maximum Isolation. Playing familiar tracks you can check wall vibrations while turning your Sub On & Off. You can experiment with placement closer & further from the wall and check wall vibrations.

Generally I have found as I make changes that improve "Bass Quality" my initial impression is always "It Sounds Like Less Bass". Most times I simply compensate by Bumping Up the Sub volume just a Tad. Some times it just takes a couple hours for me to Wrap My Brain Around the change.

Once I installed the SubDude I found my room was a lot less sensitive to Sub placement. In my room it seems I need to keep the Sub at least 12" off the front wall to avoid Room Boom at higher volumes. Different rooms will react differently of course.

DBC   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 04/12/15 at 14:59:16

We'll see what happens later when I spin some vinyl.  I put the SubDude in the system this morning.  Mark.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 04/12/15 at 15:15:59

In your case I'm not expecting the SubDude to be a big WOW difference since you already have some degree of isolation.

Listening this morning I turned my Mid Bass Modules OFF and that lasted about 3 songs. I've been spoiled by the Bass Reinforcement up into the 150hz range.

Even my 15" Subs crossed over at 80hz do not compare. I can set my Sub crossover higher but then the Bass just gets FLABBY with the big heavy 15" driver.

DBC   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 04/12/15 at 17:03:30

OK DBC,  I'm in the Cave and have begun my listening with the Sub Dude in place and Deep Hemp gain at 12 O'clock and Frequency at 3 O'clock.  I am listening to the MFSL reissue of "Waiting For Columbus"  LP #1. This is a Live recording with lots of Bass, unfortunately I haven't listened to it with the sub previously.  It might be my imagination but the Bass does seem a little tighter and well defined...can't really notice a change in volume though.   The back wall still has minimal vibration, probably from air waves as you previously stated.  I'm thinking once the newness fades, I'll probably set the gain lower on Rock LPs.  Time will tell. I'm happy with the result and don't feel the need to experiment with moving the Sub at the moment.  I was thinking if I heard a dramatic change, I'd buy two more Sub Dudes for the HR-1 speakers...I don't think it's necessary. If anyone is looking for an album to test Subwoofer function, I would highly recommend Little Feat's "Waiting For Columbus"...especially the track "Spanish Moon"...incredible.  This is how this recording was meant to be heard.  I just had to turn the volume up even higher.  Mark.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 04/12/15 at 18:04:13

Quote:
Mark58 wrote:

Deep Hemp gain at 12 O'clock and Frequency at 3 O'clock

Sounds like you have everything Dialed in pretty well. With the volume set at 12 O'clock I'm sure you are pumping a good bit of Low Frequency into the room at that setting.

My best guess is with the Crossover set at 3 O'clock you are at about 150hz which is where I find the Sweet Spot to be on my Mid Bass Modules.

For anyone following this thread, the Omega Sub and Hsu Mid Bass Modules are the only devices I have found that can play Cleanly up into the 150hz range. There is a Lot of Magic up in this frequency range where other Subs just can't go without sounding Flabby.

Mark, I have only one question for you at this point. When you have time can you provide a brief description of what your system sounds like with the Sub switched OFF (listen to a few songs with it OFF)  compared to how the system sounds with the Sub switched ON. Would you recommend this as a worthy upgrade for others here to consider?

DBC   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 04/12/15 at 18:48:10

DBC,  I've done that before and I did it again just now for about a minute.  I listen to Jazz mostly and when the Bass is in the recording, you could hear it but I knew it could be more impactful.  As you did, I would turn up the volume and get more but along with it came way too much High end energy for my tastes...thus followed tube rolling, and resistors  in the HR-1s to address the High end.  I was pleased with the result with Jazz but when I put on Rock or Fusion with Electric Bass, I knew what I was missing.  In the past I had a pair of ESS AMT 10b speakers that had a 10 inch woofer and Heil Air Motion converter for the Mids and Highs with a variable control so the highs could be attenuated or increased. I miss those speakers and wonder if my memory of the sound is better than it actually was.  

Anyway, of the three pairs of speakers I have now, the Zu Souls have the most Bass output, then comes the HR-1s, then the Omega Alinco Super 7XRS speakers.  I have no issue with the high end with the Zu's but do with the Omega's.  With the Omega speakers I was attenuating the high end by replacing the Amperex 7308's in the inputs of my Zen Signature Monoblocks with a pair of Amperex Buggle Boy 6DJ8's that seemed to tone down the high end.  But recently I put in a pair of White Label Amperex 6299s that seem to be working well with both the Zu and Omega speakers.

Now I put in this 6 or 7 year old Deep Hemp Sub into my Main System and can't help but say to myself...how could I have waited almost two years to buy one...what a dumb ass.  I have probably spent at least a grand or more tube rolling trying to fix "The Problem" when a new Omega Sub at $900 would have solved the problem and made rock much more enjoyable.

I was actually going to listen for a few more weeks before recommending that everyone using Full Range Drivers add a Sub in their Main System.  But since you asked...Hell yeah!!  Everyone should just order their speakers with a Sub.  The only ones I considered in the past were those from Omega and Zu.  The Zu Undertone retails for 2K and has a frequency response of 14 to 80 HZ with a 12 inch driver so it's a different animal than the Omega Subs with a frequency response of 26 to 180 Hz with either an 8 or 12 inch driver.  I am still curious how the Zu would sound...maybe if I see a great deal on one used, I might pick it up.  But I am completely satisfied with my Deep Hemp.  My only criticism would be what took me so long to pull the trigger?  Mark.

PS...DBC, you asked me about the "Sound".  As I've said many times in the past, I'm not good with the "Audio Lingo" but what the Deep Hemp adds is clear, well articulated, punchy Bass.  None of the Boomy, muddled sound that the HT subs seem to deliver.  I guess the Omega Subs are what I am recommending since I have not heard others.  If you want a musical, fast, well integrated addition to the bottom end of your sound go take a look at what Louis has to offer.

http://omegaloudspeakers.com/deepomega8.html

http://omegaloudspeakers.com/deepomega8.html

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 04/12/15 at 19:53:58

I just looked at the current Omega Subs.  The frequency response is different from mine...28 to 160 Hz while mine is reported to be 26 to 180 Hz.  The cabinet on mine is different than both the current offerings at 12" High not including spikes, 15 inches Wide and 13 1/2 inches Deep.  The driver is different as well compared to the current 8" driver.  Mine has a large Concave dust cap and the new one has a smaller conventional looking dust cap. I'm not sure what the sonic differences would be but for full disclosure I just wanted to point out that what I have is no longer available.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #33 - 04/12/15 at 20:06:34

I'm glad you are enjoying your sub. But I don't think everyone needs one. Some may need only mid-bass reinforcement. And others may not need any. . . a lot is room dependent. In my current situation I don't need one for any form of music with my Torii Mk III and HR-1s. (The bass control on the Mk III really is helpful and what possibly makes that happen). At my fiancee's I'm running a Zen C amp (modded by Eddie Vaughn) with her Sony speakers and getting plenty of bass in a larger room. And I play as a reference recordings I made of rock bands that were made in my then garage apartment--I know how the bass sounded in that room, and I get that back in playback. I'm sure my experiences are not alone. So I don't think it's accurate to say everyone should have one.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 04/12/15 at 20:34:01

Lon, you know as well as I do, all that I blather on about is strictly my opinion based on my ears and tiny Audio Kingdom  (11ft X 11ft Cave). I gave a recommendation to consider an Omega Sub...not a demand to get one...hehe.

I know the manipulations you've gone to in your main system to get the sound you want.  My God,  you've got 30 Ohm resistors in your HR-1s. And you've spent $1000s on Power cords, cables, and Herbies products.  I know the Torii MK III is much more flexible in it's Treble and Bass adjustments...I really don't understand why Steve didn't keep them in the MK IV but I work with what I have. For $560 plus $60 for a Sub Dude, I've transformed my sound for the better...in my opinion.  Could I have gotten there with room treatments, different cabling, etc, etc...maybe but we'll never know.  Don't forget, I've been rather content for almost two years except when it came to Rock...or more specifically, Electric Bass, where I knew from past experience that I wasn't getting the whole experience.  So to each his own audio journey.  You've just taken a different path than I have to get where you want to go.  It's all good!  Party On Garth! Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #35 - 04/12/15 at 21:04:50

Well you did recommend everyone get a sub, and I have never found a sub to be the right addition to a system of my own, so I just wanted to repudiate that blanket recommendation.

My problem with high frequency seems to be different than yours and the route I have taken is accordingly different. I NEED the high frequency attenuation; just boosting the lower frequencies and using an unrestricted high frequency does not solve the problem for me.  I've never enjoyed a sub in a system, and I'm not going to try now, I know it's not the solution for me. A mid bass module makes more sense. . . but I don't have the need nor does everyone else.

Enough, back to listening (watching in my case, I'm way behind on my DVR).

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 04/12/15 at 21:14:56

Mark, there`s one thing I`d like to know about subs. Air pressure. Do you just hear the extension and for want of a better word, presence, or do you get more air pressure as well. The reason I ask is that I would be afraid of hearing damage if I felt my ear drums being sucked in and out. My speakers are rear ported as have my last 2 pairs....Monitor Audio R352`s (front port), Focal standmounts and B&W DM7`s (not ported but bass reflex)  . They bill all these as long throw. With long throws you can feel the pressure. The ports are tuned to give as powerful bass as possible, a juggling act of design for size of enclosure. I can always feel the pressure if the bass is generating enough wattage, so the idea of subs has always not been on my list as in my ignorant opinion they would really be not worth taking the risk.
Double bass on jazz albums makes me wonder though.
Syd

ps glad you`ve taken the plunge to find out....and enjoying!

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 04/12/15 at 21:16:30

Hey Lon,  don't get your panties in a wad...hehe.  I didn't mean to Harsh your Mellow.  

For the record...So there is no confusion, everything I say in the future can be considered an opinion.

Also to clarify,  I'm not sure if what I have is a Sub or a Mid Bass Module...probably a bit of both with a frequency response of 26 to 180 Hz.  What ever it is...I like it.  Mark.  

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 04/12/15 at 21:28:39

Syd,  I'm no authority but I think what I was looking for is more Mid Bass.  I didn't really understand the difference until DBC pointed out the difference.  With the Deep Hemp on the Sub Dude Isolation platform, I think I'm mainly just getting the sound and not much of the pressure you're talking about. The Sub driver is only 8 inches in a sealed cab and is downward firing.  I'm not sure if that makes any difference.  

When the newness wears off, I probably won't be cranking the volume up as much as I have recently.  I've always listened at what others would consider moderate or even low volumes.  In fact,  I think that with the addition of the Omega Sub, I'll be listening at lower levels because I won't be turning the volume up looking for the missing bottom.  I have very good hearing and want to keep it that way.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #39 - 04/12/15 at 21:29:00

My panties aren't in a wad. I just take people's statements at face value and couldn't swallow that one.

Have a nice one. I'm enjoying my new headphones while I can, away from home and back to work at Dad's in a few minutes. Sigh.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 04/12/15 at 21:39:59

Lon,  I shouldn't but I do enjoy yanking your chain once in a while.  You do know you're one of my favorite Audio Buddies...right?  You just take things way too seriously sometimes...this is an audio chat room after all.  World peace doesn't hang on every nuance of what we say...hehe.  So "Lighten Up, Francis"...I mean Lon.  Just have fun here.  You and I have too much depressing shit in our real lives.  We don't need to bring any negative vibes to the forum.  Party On Garth.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #41 - 04/12/15 at 22:10:09

I'm not a partier Wayne. I'm a serious guy. Don't do the glib and party thing. If you make bold statements I take them seriously and analyze them and give my opinion. You is what you is, I yam what I yam.

All my life I've examined and evaluated sweeping generalizations, in my private life and it was part of my professional life too.

So, you make 'em, I'm going to be all serious about them.

Back at Dad's, following up and cleaning after my brother who looked after my Dad this morning and afternoon. Oy. Enjoy the jazz and rock. .  it's back to classical with me. I have to say the system here is sounding great. Taking out the CSP2+ was the thing to do.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 04/12/15 at 22:30:29

LOL  OK, Uncle.  I have to admit I have just kept on responding to see if I could get the last word in...hehe.  With you, that's rarely the case.

I have to say, in my "Professional" life I've often been faced with life and death decisions/situations on a daily basis...very serious, not so often now. And as a result it's often hard for me to understand how people can sweat the small stuff.

So although I enjoy my Music (Not really the Gear),  I don't take it seriously.  Nor do I take the forum seriously.  I'm here to have fun mainly and to learn from all the generous members.  I have based my buying decisions on others opinions, having heard none of my gear before purchase.  A lot of those "Opinions" were yours, Lon.  I hope that some of my opinions have helped others and will continue to assist them in their journey toward Audio Nirvana.

Now Lon, if I don't respond to your next post, it's not because I don't want to...I just have to get ready to go out for the evening.  Happy Listening.  Mark.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 04/12/15 at 22:42:51

Mark58,

Thanks for posting further impressions in post #38 above. All of the benefits you describe mirror what I have been getting from my Mid Bass Module's for the past couple of years.

I appreciate your open mind with regard to setting up your Sub per my suggestions which to most are unconventional and in many ways counter intuitive. It took me a couple years to really figure out what worked best and you seem to have dialed it all in within a week.

I'm glad I was able to help a fellow audio enthusiast glean so much more enjoyment from their system for such a modest investment. I hope your success will encourage others to consider this path.

Syd,

I have the Hsu Mid Bass Module (recently discontinued), Mark58 has an Omega Sub. Sub or Mid Bass Module it doesn't matter what you call either one. What they both have in common is that they both play Very Cleanly up into the 150hz range. The only two Devices I have found that do this well. Neither will shake your house off the foundation but both add a wonderful Weight & Body to the overall music presentation.

What I hear and I think Mark would agree is a very open, well defined presence of Bass Notes. No Fuzzy, Boom and or Over Pressurization as I think you are concerned about. The Bass is Clean, Clean, Clean. It's as close as I've been able to get to Live Electric Bass at a great live Blues performance in a small Club environment.

If you follow these basic recommendations as Mark58 did it works:

#1: Get a sub that plays cleanly up to 150hz. Omega is the only current production sub I know of right now.

#2: Connect the sub using speaker level connections.

#3: Place the sub anywhere between your left & right main (does not have to be centered). Not too close to the front wall to avoid inducing front wall vibrations.

#4: Place the sub on an Isolation Platform, I have had very good success with the SubDude II. This goes a long way to further minimize unwanted floor & wall vibrations that Muddy the Bass.

#5: Set the sub crossover at 150hz.

#6: Be sure you do Not have any Sub Hum. If your Sub Hums it is likely a ground issue that needs to be resolved before you can expect to get Clean Even Bass.

#7: Your mains should be running full range. The sub will simply be Augmenting the Bass produced by your mains from 150hz on down.

#8: Play some of your favorite music and using the Volume knob on the sub, dial in the amount of Bass  that is appropriate for your room and personal taste.

DBC   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #44 - 04/12/15 at 22:50:10

I'm glad you got a laugh out of that Mark because it was intended to be light-hearted. I just found that blanket statement of yours to be misleading and challenged it. "Opinions" are one thing but sometimes they are clothed as fact and they aren't. I try hard to show "opinions" as such and not facts. It seemed to me you were saying it was a fact that we all need subwoofers if we're at all unhappy with our treble response. That was what I was challenging.

I'm not always serious, but I do take audio "facts" seriously and "opinions" less so. Don't clothe your opinions as facts and I'll have no problem with them! I just don't gloss over things as I used to, I wish I did but I don't. I'll try to just not step in from now on.

I'm feeling a little wound up today, being unable to spend as much time as I'd like with the love of my life gets to me.
As well as not getting to spend enough time in my own home doing my own things. After a lot of work the next months that hopefully will be remedied. I hope so, I can't take much more of this. I've misplaced my sense of humor somewhere.

Have a nice one out there.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 04/13/15 at 12:45:36

Mark,

Which amp and speakers have you been using in the Cave with the Omega Sub? I did not see that mentioned in this thread.

DBC   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 04/13/15 at 14:09:33

DBC,  I just noticed your post...almost missed it.  The Main system..."The Cave" Has a Torii MK IV at it's heart. The Turning Point Audio/Decware HR-1s rule there as well.  With a CSP3 adding to the mix, providing flexibility.  If I were to return the Taboo to the Cave for Headphone listening, I have a second pair of outputs (an available option, I forget how much it cost) on the CSP3 so with a flip of the switch I can listen to either Amp with the CSP3, Rega TT and Jolida CD Player.  All power cords are Zu Audio Mission bought on ebay direct from Zu.  Both systems have Zu Audio 10 foot Libtec speaker cables.  The cabling is mostly Decware DSRs but I use a sheilded Zu cable with the ZP3 as well as Decware's Silver power cord.  I have forgotten to mention in prior posts in this thread, that I employ Running Springs Audio Power Conditioners in both systems...a Jaco in the Main and a Haley in the second.  

I really would like the capability to list in detail all Gear, Cabling, tubes etc in our profile so it could be posted once and updated with changes.  I often would like to know what tubes folks are using but don't always want to take the time and effort to ask.  The signature doesn't allow enough space for all details.  If someone has Steve's ear, please suggest such an addition.  It would allow us all to easily outline all details of each system without repeatedly posting the same info.  Just my two cents.  I think it would add a lot to the forum...at least for me.  

I have to do some work, so posts will slow down until later today.  Mark.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 04/13/15 at 15:02:43

Thanks Mark,

I know you will be busy with your new Omega Alnico's, look forward to hearing what you think of them. If I'm not mistaken the Alnico XRS and your Zu are both bottom ported. IMO both could benefit if they are placed on Isolation Platforms.

Down the road you should try the Zu and Omega 7XRS in the Cave again with Bass reinforcement from your Omega Sub. Especially the 7XRS, I think the Bright Upper End you referred to will vanish.

I know with my Klipsch RF-7's when playing Loud and with Bass reinforcement in the Mid Bass area they are very pleasing to the ear. Turn the Bass reinforcement OFF and the RF-7's sound Bright. There is something about the Mid Bass reinforcement that somehow makes the top end sound just right.

DBC   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 04/13/15 at 15:30:10

Yup DBC,  the bottom porting is another reason I wanted to try the Omega Alinco XRS speakers. I'm not sure the isolation would do much with the Zu or Omega down firing ports.  I'm not sure I want to spend $120 to find out. I plan on setting the new Alincos up first in the Cave...moving the HR-1s out of the room to give the Omegas the best chance to shine.  The HR-1s will return in less than a month though.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 04/15/15 at 13:40:25

DBC,  now that I've settled down a little bit from the dramatic change of my sound, I've started to refine the Deep Hemp settings.  I've gone to 11 o'clock on the gain and about 2 o'clock on the frequency control.  My thinking is to allow more of the HR-1's contribution through.  I also think I was a little heavy on the amount of Bass at 12 O'clock on the gain. In another couple weeks I plan on putting a quad of Seimens/RTF EL-34s into the Torii.  I want to try some of the Hazen Grid magic with the Deep Hemp.  The tweaking continues.  Mark.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print