Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:19:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Balanced Input for Taboo 3 (Read 5379 times)
ihmeyers
Verified Member

Balanced Input for Taboo 3
03/29/15 at 21:39:30

I've got a DAC with both balanced and unbalanced outputs.  Since I'm using the Taboo 3 I've got it running off the unbalanced outputs.  The output from the DAC is 2.6V from the unbalanced output and 5.2 from the balanced outputs so I was curious how much better the Taboo could sound with a higher level signal.  Is there anyway to run some sort of balanced to unbalanced cable to take advantage of the higher DAC output into the Taboo?  Is it possible to buy a passive preamp with balanced inputs and unbalanced outputs to take advantage of the higher gain?

Thanks very much.  :)

LDMS Mini w/ LPS, Lampizator GA TRP
Merrill Element 116 Mono Blocks (main system),Wall Audio M-50 SET Mono Blocks
Townshend Allegri Reference Passive Preamp / Totaldac D1 Driver

Hansen Audio The Prince Speakers (main system) Pair of REL G1 MKII
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Balanced Input for Taboo 3
Reply #1 - 03/30/15 at 01:51:28

Yes there is actually. I forgot what the official name is, but Decware has a "Magic Box" that has the transformers needed to convert balanced output to unbalanced, and Steve included an attenuator so you can dial down the voltage to where your amp is happy with it.

I don't see it listed on the Decware main page - I'd give Steve a call and see what he says about the cost.

I had those transformers added to my ZMA amp, and they sound wonderful! This "Magic Box" would let you do the same thing, except with any amp that has standard RCA inputs.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/30/15 at 06:43:58

Hey guys,

I believe the official name for the box that you're speaking of is the ZBIT. (Zen Balanced Input Transformer?). Sounded like a great idea, but I haven't seen it on the site yet.

Randy

IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/01/15 at 16:42:27

TubeNube,

Based on the time elapsed since the ZBIT was created and made available, Steve hasn't actively promoted it (or perhaps, he hasn't the time to do so given some of the other things I see he has been doing - Priorities ... Priorities).

For those who know about it and believe they might need it, then the best thing to do is call Steve and get the info. It is not inexpensive. Some like the change (improvement) in sound, others do not.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1415411351

P.S. The link to Jensen transformers in my post above has since been removed by Jensen; not sure why.

Schiit Yggdrasil/ZBIT / Zen Switch Box / CSP3 / Taboo III UFO/ Omega SAMs
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/02/15 at 07:34:32

Thanks Rizlaw for the info. If you get a chance sometime, will you take a picture of the back of the unit, so that we can see the connections? (Iknow that you had yours upgraded from the stock unit). Thanks,
Randy

IP Logged
ihmeyers
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 04/05/15 at 20:16:23

Rizlaw.  Great minds think alike, LOL.  I wanted a balanced device to run my W4S DAC through the transformer directly to my Taboo (bypassing my CSP2+).

What was the cost of the ZBIT and what is the typical turnaround time?

Thanks.  :)

LDMS Mini w/ LPS, Lampizator GA TRP
Merrill Element 116 Mono Blocks (main system),Wall Audio M-50 SET Mono Blocks
Townshend Allegri Reference Passive Preamp / Totaldac D1 Driver

Hansen Audio The Prince Speakers (main system) Pair of REL G1 MKII
  IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/06/15 at 18:22:20

I paid $597.00 for my Zbit (#002) with one set of silver RCA's. Because I got the 2nd one (Steve has #001), Steve was kind enough not to charge me extra for the silver RCA's. So, if you order one with silver RCA's I imagine it will be over $600.00; an extra pair of RCA's would increase the price a little more. As I've said before, it's not an inexpensive item, but I do hear an improvement. Other's may disagree, but that's O.K.

As to turn around time, I guess you go on the build list, like anyone else placing an order, and wait the month or so it takes for the Decware Team to build your unit. I don't think this is a commonly ordered item such that Steve might keep a few in stock (like cables might be pre-built and keep in stock) for quick shipment.

Schiit Yggdrasil/ZBIT / Zen Switch Box / CSP3 / Taboo III UFO/ Omega SAMs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print