Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 23:28:03 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
NEW Decware ZTPRE Preamp (Read 16901 times)
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Re: New Decware Preamp
Reply #50 - 08/20/15 at 17:12:01

I have heard some wonderful AVC(autoformer volume control) and TVC(transformer volume control) "passive" preamps. Though the transformers can typically provide some small amount of gain 5-7db or so.  

Given our Zenmaster's recent 'interest" in all things "transformer related".... I wonder if he has given any thought to using transformer volume control in the new preamp?  I definitely want "tubes" and an active circuit, so my sources are buffered and see high input impedances and the preamp to have low output impedance and able to drive any cable a reasonably long distance, etc.  .... but given how autoformers and transformers have been shown to have such high performance as volume controls in passive preamps, I'm wondering if a tube based active preamp  with volume control via transformers/autoformers might just be the end-all of all preamps....

anybody got any experience to share with transformer volume controls, like the autoformer Slagleformers from Bent Audio, etc.

Zenmaster Steve... comments - thoughts?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 08/20/15 at 23:54:26

maddog07 wrote on 08/20/15 at 17:12:01:
I have heard some wonderful AVC(autoformer volume control) and TVC(transformer volume control) "passive" preamps. Though the transformers can typically provide some small amount of gain 5-7db or so.  

Given our Zenmaster's recent 'interest" in all things "transformer related".... I wonder if he has given any thought to using transformer volume control in the new preamp?  I definitely want "tubes" and an active circuit, so my sources are buffered and see high input impedances and the preamp to have low output impedance and able to drive any cable a reasonably long distance, etc.  .... but given how autoformers and transformers have been shown to have such high performance as volume controls in passive preamps, I'm wondering if a tube based active preamp  with volume control via transformers/autoformers might just be the end-all of all preamps....

anybody got any experience to share with transformer volume controls, like the autoformer Slagleformers from Bent Audio, etc.

Zenmaster Steve... comments - thoughts?

I can't remember where I read it, but I believe that Vinnie Rossi's new line is using either Slagelformer or Bent type tech in the LIO.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #52 - 08/21/15 at 14:05:34

This is going to be interesting guys. .....can't wait to know more about it.

I'm so pleased with my CSP3. Both my Decware ZDSD and Auralic Vega, use different settings (vol. & voltage output) with my CSP3 driving my ZMA to perfection. I can't imagine being without my CSP3. It is a must for unbalanced.
I have my Zbit or balanced Input at ZMA....~but~ through active/CSP3/RCA, for transparently fleshing out weight/detail/nuance vs. passive Zbit, etc.... . Plus, with Ediswan's in my Input Stage of my ZMA...you get chills.

Now, moving to balanced with adapter's through the new Pre? What advantages does the new Pre offer me over my current transparent masterpiece CSP3 from Steve? I will have to wait and read......... .

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

~AURALiC Vega D/A processor~
1.5 MHz PCM....in Filter Mode 4 with FEMTO EXACT Clock in from Transport. She's a keeper!
Sometimes I use Filter Mode 1.....for flatter extended Treble.

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder (@ -20 Ref Level @ 16/176.4)
(.....will be sometimes rotated in~great machine)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC .....for Input Tube)

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
***NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 in my A12 an B12 positions***

Kimber Select KS3033 Speaker Cable
Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, Auralic Vega or ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/120 ~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #53 - 09/10/15 at 19:53:39

I wonder what kind of tubes the preamp will utilize?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #54 - 09/10/15 at 20:03:00

Okay, I want for one more!

Good question maddog, what tubes?

Now, that I've settled in with my ZDSD and System. I'm back in the business of wanting a Remote for Analog Volume Control with the new PRE. However, the new Pre sure looks all XLR in and out? I want to continue using Steve's RCA Output from my ZDSD.....so, I want Two Unbalanced Inputs and One Out.

Listening Room:

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder (@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/176.4)
{ also @ -16 Ref Level & -1.0 Input volume Level}
{ also @ -18 Ref Level & -1.0 Input Volume Level}

Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC .....for Input Tube)
10 of 10 for Input tube & 8 of 10 voltage for Output tubes
Volume adjustment used at 0 to 40%

ZMA used as straight Power Amp, at 90% of Volume

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable~great deal/used!

REL T5 SUB, Neutrik connection from ZMA
{30Hz @ 35% of volume~0 Phase}
Auralex Subdude II

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/120 ~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 09/11/15 at 07:01:35

Hi,

Now I am using Coincident Statement Line Stage pre-amp. It is Transformer Volume Control (TVC) with 101D DHT tube to provide 13 or 23 dB gain (you can select which gain when order).

Before this CSLS pre-amp, I used Light Speed Attenuator passive pre-amp. It is a light variable resistor volume control. Or resistant value of volume resistor is varied depend on light density shines on resistor. The Light Speed Attenuator passive pre-amp is the most transparency pre-amp I have ever used or listen. It keeps all subtle low level signal sound very well or minimize loss. However as my system need more gain to drive ZMA.

Then I order CSLS pre-amp to try. It provides totally different in punch, bass authority, macro and micro dynamics much much better than Light Speed Attenuator passive pre-amp. The system plays like SS amp now, not like tube amp for punch and authority bass. But all subtle low level signal sound has significant big loss also or significant negative transparency compared to Light Speed Attenuator passive pre-amp.  Then it is a trade off between authority bass and dynamics and transparency. However I will select authority bass and dynamics rather than transparency in case of CSLS versus LSA.

However when I open CSLS pre-amp to check signal cable wire and found out that it is a very small normal copper cable. I think that loss in subtle low level detail sound may be caused by this poor signal cable wire inside CSLS. Then I plan to mod CSLS by changing RCA female jack to be WBT pure silver Next Gent female jack and Duelund Hook up wire 2 (pure silver ribbon wire with silk wax) for signal cable wire inside CSLS.

I hope that all subtle low level detail sound will be gained back as same as Light Speed Attentuator passive pre-amp. Then the mod CSLS pre-amp will be one of the best pre-amp which has both Solid State punch and authority bass with all subtle low level detail sound or superb excellent transparency.

I will report back of my mod CSLS pre-amp.

Audio Note DAC3.1 Custom modded to 4.1, DIY Duelund wire RCA IC, Offramp 5 USB SPDIF converter, Mac Mini, Amarra Symphony player,
Zen Mystery Amp. MIT Oracle speaker wire, Avalon Eidolon Diamond speakers. Coincident Statement preamp, Martin Logan Depth subwoofer
  IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 09/11/15 at 08:54:57

If I knew that Steve will launch new Pre-Amp before I ordered CSLS preamp. I would be waiting for Decware new pre-amp. Because I love Decware products and I trust in Steve's product.

Now I am very happy with ZMA.

Audio Note DAC3.1 Custom modded to 4.1, DIY Duelund wire RCA IC, Offramp 5 USB SPDIF converter, Mac Mini, Amarra Symphony player,
Zen Mystery Amp. MIT Oracle speaker wire, Avalon Eidolon Diamond speakers. Coincident Statement preamp, Martin Logan Depth subwoofer
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #57 - 09/11/15 at 18:02:03

I love the CSP3 with Jupiter Caps, for the slam and authority/density. However, you might want to try Steve's CSP3 or new PRE. I find, on most recordings I'm giving up nothing in transparency.

Here is why:
First off, Steve's design + with the high voltage output. I use the Input Tube/both sides at 10 of 10 voltage (as all should). The Output Tubes are the major key though! Set at 8 of 10 max, driving my ZMA set at just off full volume as a direct power Amp....is providing the best of both worlds (read: Preamp/CSP3 is out of the way/transparent with this Voltage drive out/without being bright or hyped or brittle or any loss of whet density-still preserving micro detail).

So, I'm running some pretty serious Voltage out to the ZMA! Steve, what am I running at the 8 out of 10 output, exactly? I could read the Copy in the notes on the CSP3....but I would like an exact number from you.

Furthermore, the high Output of the ZDSD and the fact the I can dial down the Input Voltage with the ZDSD/DAC, that it see's from my Transport is very key too. By lowering this, it allows me to use the steroid Output I'm putting out of the CSP3 as stated. I cannot state this enough... .

I have Kimber KS6063 Speaker Cables coming vyokyong! I got them for 52% off. I also, have the Shunyata Ztron Alpha Digital power cord, coming for my ZDSD. I will experiment with it, on and off my P3 Power Plant.

Listening Room:

Shunyata Ztron Alpha Digital power cord....coming for ZDSD!
{also @ kept/-20 Ref Level & -1.0 Input volume Level}
{ also @ -18 Ref Level & -1.0 Input volume Level}
{ also @ -16 Ref Level & -1.0 Input Volume Level}

ZMA used as straight Power Amp, at 90% of Volume

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable~great deal/used!

REL T5 SUB, Neutrik connection from ZMA
{30Hz @ 35% of volume~0 Phase}
Auralex Subdude II

(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/120 ~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #58 - 09/11/15 at 18:34:52

http://audioshark.org/shunyata-research-78/review-shunyata-zytron-alpha-digital-...

From this account and others; plus my experience finding the right Power Cords for my CSP3 and ZMA.....and as good as the ZDSD is running out of my P3. I might be in for a little treat with the Ztron Alpha into the the ZDSD, on and off the P3 regen.  

First, the addition of my 6063's next week then the Alpha in 2 or 3 weeks arrival.............. .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #59 - 09/13/15 at 16:41:29

You might scoff vyokyong, when I'm suggesting you sell your Coincident Statement Line Stage pre-amp (Active) and get the CSP3 or new PRE.

You know I love the High-End that matters. Evidence of that being my Cables, Speakers and Power Supply. I would own the Audio Researches of the World.....but the ZDSD/CSP3/ZMA kicks there asses! I can't say enough about voltage output.........(and input/ZDSD).

I so have the German Mundorf Mcap Supremes burned in for Mr. Lee's Tweeter's and German made Woofers. The Transmission Line of the Adagio is incredible too.

I hope you have good luck with the Stealth Audio IC. I know you won't be getting it from Hong Kong for a couple of months yet. Great IC, just a bit much in my System. I'm a Kimber Select ear/brain guy.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 09/14/15 at 06:14:08

Hi Stone of Tone,

Thanks for your advice.

I will do my best of what I have before sell it. Good thing of Coincident Statement Line stage pre-amp is that it provides 2 RCA out put for sub-woofer or Bi-amp. I already have Martin Logan Depth sub-woofer 1 unit. When I got Avalon Eidolon Diamond spealers, I have not played it with subwoofer. I want to familiar with Avalon Eidolon Diamond sound signature first of two month playing. And I think that sub-woofer should not be necessary.  Because it states in Avalon Eidolon speaker manual that any sub-woofer is added to Avalon Eidolon speakers will give negative effects more than any positive gain. So that it is not advised to add sub-woofer.

Yesterday I tried new set up by adding Martin Logan Depth sub-woofer to my Hi Fi system.  the result is OMG! It provides body and weight which is essential for orchestra music. The dynamic is incredible! Micro-contrast and macro-contrast is superb. All types of music songs is much more real Live show and involving. It is strange that it provides more black background and more focus in 3D imaging. All music instruments and singer have more space around them, separately from each others. It is contrast of my old believe that adding subwoofer will have negative in transparency and clarity. Now it is not true.

From my set up, Avalon Eidolon Diamond speakers needs subwoofer to perform that lower 24 Hz to 20 Hz in order to be perfect 20Hz - 20Mhz. The adding of little frequency 20 Hz to 24 Hz makes huge improvement in sound quality. (Avalon Eidolon Diamond speaker spec is 24 Hz to 20 MHz.)

Martin_Logan_Depth_Sub.png

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #61 - 09/14/15 at 19:11:39

I am very pleased with my REL T5 Sub. Perfect for my Listening Room. Yes, you don't think you need one~until you get one! I do have RCA Sub output from my CSP3, I could use. However, the Neutrik connection is the preferred method for REL. I've never got a Sub to integrate this easy or well....as I have done with my REL T5.  

Excited, I have my Kimber Select KS6063 8ft pair with WBT-0681Ag Spades arriving on Wednesday!  

Enjoy!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #62 - 10/06/15 at 02:42:25

The new Decware preamp was a pre-production "case work" only prototype on display at the fest.....
Steve says he expects to be listening to the working prototype by Christmas if everything goes as planned.  Sign me up...!!!!

I believe the preamp will have multiple outputs possibly.  Perhaps a set of balanced outputs and a pair of single ended outputs, or maybe two balanced outputs.

There is another way to run a sub vyokyong.... and I have found it to be the best way also, to my ears.. drive the sub from your amp that powers your mains to the high-level inputs of the sub.  Yes... not all subs have high-level(binding posts) inputs, but there is a way to run subs that do not have high-level inputs.  You can buy simple in-line adapters that step the voltage down.
If you drive your sub from the same amp that powers your mains, the bass reproduced by the sub, will take on the same tonal characteristics as the sound being produced by your main amp.  I have found subs to gel/blend/disappear much better and much easier when driven this way.  I've had many brands of subs... including the ML you mention vyokyong, and I preferred them all driven by my main amp via the subs high-level/speaker-level inputs.  Give it a try...

also... the Hawthorne Audio Augie open baffle bass driver is freaking phenomenal.  I've never had better bass and quantity is not an issue.  I prefer the Augie over my twin pair of Velodyne digital drive 12 inchers for the man-cave dedicated 2-ch music system.  The Velo's are in the HT permanently now.

IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 10/06/15 at 04:02:22

Thanks Maddog 07.

Yes, I have read that the best way to connect sub to main speakers is through amp and high level binding posts. However I use only one sub. It is more convenient for me to connect from Pre-amp through left and right channel interconnect cables to sub. Or is it better to connect sub from one main speaker only?
please advice.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #64 - 10/06/15 at 13:19:36

FWIW, I've used the pre-outs from my Mini Torii to feed my Velodyne Sub for years, with good results. However, I recently wanted to try the high-level binding post setup and have not looked back since: Much better tone and blending, and in my case, much less incidence of a boomy effect when bass volume is too high. This setup also works fine with my other SET amp. Just my $0.02

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #65 - 10/06/15 at 23:21:01

10-Roger that Fireblade... I discovered years ago that the high-level inputs on subs fed from my main amp sound better than the line-level inputs.  Better blending with main speakers, sub disappears better, blah, blah, blah - "better".  I never mess with line-level inputs in the man-cave 2-ch music system anymore.
However, for the HT, line-level is necessary in most cases for the HFE .1 channel outputs of the pre-pro.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #66 - 10/07/15 at 20:35:07

Decware PRE baby...........coming in the House, after my Jr.!

Right now though, no hurry, I'm at Rock Concert levels with Decware Nuance! = Real!

Decware Torii Jr. coming in November!

Decware new PRE, coming in Dec/Jan!

Listening Room:

Shunyata Ztron Alpha Digital power cord
{also @ kept/-20 Ref Level & -.5db or -1.0 Input volume Level}

Volume adjustment used at 0 to 50%

ZMA adjusted at 50% to 90% of Volume

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #67 - 10/07/15 at 22:11:11

Torii Jr. vs. ZMA

New PRE vs. CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps

..........later, much.....will see what wins?! .......or I keep 4 for 4 vs. 2.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 10/10/15 at 14:15:12

Fireblade said:
I recently wanted to try the high-level binding post setup and have not looked back since: Much better tone and blending.

maddog07 said:
I discovered years ago that the high-level inputs on subs fed from my main amp sound better than the line-level inputs.  

Hello Fellas,
By high-level, is it meant speaker level?  The speaker cable posts of the main amplifier?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 10/10/15 at 14:32:38

Brian, that is correct.  When I purchased my Omega Deep Hemp Sub, I did a bunch of research and the consensus here and elsewhere is that it gets you a better integration by imparting the characteristics of your Amp to the Sub. So if your Sub has the speaker level option...use it.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 10/12/15 at 00:12:19

Thank you Mark.
I wonder how this relates to Bi-Amping. If I had a speaker with a 400Hz cross from woofer to mid, and I decided to Bi-Amp, I wonder if the crossover ought to be immediately after the preamp, or after the midrange power amp.

IP Logged
cpcat
Verified Member

Reply #71 - 11/10/15 at 19:58:58

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and have followed this thread with great interest.
This preamp may be my next system upgrade.  I'm wondering if one of the balanced inputs can be configured as an HT bypass?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #72 - 11/19/15 at 00:26:30

Hi cpcat,

Welcome to the forum!  To answer your question, most likely not.  This is going to be a somewhat extreme minimalist design with equally extreme sound quality.  Don't worry though, there are always usually more than one way to reach the desired goal.  Give me a call sometime and we can see what other ways we can achieve an HT bypass or possibly eliminate the need for one altogether.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #73 - 11/19/15 at 01:30:59

Status report. I have completed 001, which is my own personal unit. I've been listening to it for about four days. Please don't start asking pricing and details. It's too soon for that just yet. The initial sound quality far exceeded my expectations which were high. Now it's time to get some time on it and see how long it lasts against those expectations. Next step is to then make sure it's not a fluke by duplicating it so I will be building a second one next.

This is what I know so far...

It is the CSP3 circuit doubled up to create a fully balanced circuit. The only substantial difference in the circuit is that instead of the Hybrid AC/DC starved circuit design for the heaters, I chose to create a fully AC high current supply where the  heaters of the three tubes per channel are in series. That means we're using an 18 volt heater supply. This is a trick I discovered before Decware on one of my own amps which is to say that something special always seems to happen when heaters are in series.

There are 3 XLR Inputs and 1 XLR Output per channel. The output level is adjustable via stepped attenuation.  With 60 volts of potential output I have already found this to be a handy feature. Without getting into specifics, the preamp has taken what I previously labeled as "Animated" to a whole new place I did not frankly know existed, so that's always fun! It's going to be be really good.

The dual mono remote control is working well. Both motorized analog pots rotate at the same rate together because they share the same sensor. If you want to make an adjustment to one channel or the other to achieve a different channel balance, simply adjust one of the controls higher or lower and it will stay that way relative to the other channel as you continue to raise and lower both channels with the remote.

This is of course the best of all worlds, as you have infinitely adjustable volume and channel balance electronically ganged together on a single remote.

On the second unit, where I try to replicate the first and measure the specs to get a feel for how tight this can be made, I will be testing two options that I hope to offer; 1) Making one of the inputs a transformer coupled RCA jack so that non-balanced sources could be used. 2) Adding a transformer-coupled RCA output that can be used to feed non-balanced amplifiers.  In this case, the preamp would have both XLR balanced and transformer coupled RCA outputs. Most likely only one will be able to be used at a time but it would make it possible to jump between balanced and non balanced amplifiers with ease.

So I'll report back when the second unit is done and let you know if the results are good. If so, I'll price it out, and start on the web page. IF not, I'll slowly figure out why and then work to make then match.  Once done I'll then build a third one to confirm it can be done consistently.

Meanwhile, here is a large picture of it on my bench taken with the phone on the night it was completed. The sepia color pallet is just a teaser. This thing looks so good I want to wait to take the real photos before anyone sees what it really looks like. They will be initially available with either red or black face plates.

Oh, and since the original ZTPRE was a successful purist execution many many years ago, I have named this new preamp after it to take it's place and just like was the logic back then, not everyone in the world will go with a lower power Decware amp, but every system on the planet could use this.   Smiley

In closing, so far I have only listened to it on my 6c33 13 watt monoblocks paired with Bob's HR-1 speakers. I have never heard the bass go so deep or the speakers hit like this. Never heard them sound this good before. That means that the stunning dynamics of the ZMA and even the more impressive dynamics of the Zen TORII Mono's were not as good. That means when I pair this preamp with either one of those, I'll probably be besides myself with amazement.

I've been listening to these HR-1's for years on everything we've ever built and never heard them sound like this. I expect this result to happen with all the speakers and amps because I think it's the fact that we have 60 volts of pressure to work with. If you thought the 30 volts of a regular CSP3 was a lot...  consider that this is making a 13 watt amp hit harder than our 60 watt monoblocks do without it.

Guess you know what I'll be doing this weekend. It will be a nice contrast to last weekend which was pure hell since it took me 3 entire days to figure out why it didn't work right the first time I built it.

WWW   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 11/19/15 at 01:44:44

Sounds pretty amazing Steve.  I'm looking forward to hearing more.  Mark.

PS...are the tube choices the same as with the CSP3, only doubled?

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #75 - 11/19/15 at 02:08:13

yes

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #76 - 11/19/15 at 05:10:20

Wow! The dual mono remote functionality, one of the inputs transformer coupled RCA and output (you know I love the ZDSD's transformer output), move from 30 volts of my CSP3 to 60! Sign me up.

I want the Red faceplate for my Walnut ZMA.

Let us know how she is hitting it with the ZMA THIS WEEKEND!

Oh WOW! The fun I'm going to have hitting my Adagio's with the Gain Structure's of this masterpiece and ZMA.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 11/19/15 at 06:55:36

It sure sounds splendid!

Brian

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #78 - 11/19/15 at 12:17:17

Should be an interesting preamp! Probably going to be out of the price range I could afford.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #79 - 11/19/15 at 15:42:25

Steve wrote:
"something special always seems to happen when heaters are in series".

The Zen Master at his work....and a "I must hear it".

Knowing it will be "THEEEE" PRE, ....and what it brings to the table for my ZMA to my Adagio's.....like my CSP3 does-I'm parting with a couple more things.

I'm fortunate enough to part with, to purchase the new ZTPRE.

Steve, I look forward to reading more and her Release (realizing the timeline is out a ways for release~building ZTPRE #2 & #3/to match...plus, transformer coupled RCA In & Out).

When the ZTPRE is good to go....I will be too.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #80 - 11/19/15 at 16:08:13

Steve/Question:
you eliminated the tube rectification....so, the solid state diode rectification will be similar to what the ZMA has going on or, way different for the ZTPRE? .....if I recall correctly, the ZMA is not a SSDR?

I dig that it is gone...eliminates "SAG" (compression & voltage drop of pre output tubes).....when driving her hard..... .
Not that this is an issue for my CSP3....I like it/I get a long life out of the Rectifier too....however....I like it gone out of the new ZTPRE.

Oh, but in my reading, you mentioned a fully AC high current supply, instead of AC/to DC..... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #81 - 11/19/15 at 17:23:18

Steve/2nd & 3rd questions:
...is the top center knob for input selection/it must be/I don't see another knob for it.
.... -OR- both channels receiving voltage output adjustment simultaneously (3 volts to 60 volts...3 volt increments x 20 clicks = 60 volts)?
...OR, did you keep the individual voltage adjustment for each output channel and input channels on the back?
....we have balance from the front with the awesome dual mono adjustment as you described the settings....by the way....how cool is that? ....I'd say very cool.

As for the the input tube for each channel, are you using both half's of the individual input tube for each channel and these will be set at full voltage input/at say 30 volts/if not adjusting from the back of the ZTPRE (like I keep each half/channel, of my Telefunken input tube at 10 & 10 in my CSP3)?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 11/19/15 at 21:01:21

This is by far the nicest/most high-end looking piece of gear that I have seen from Decware and I'm sure the performance will match.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #83 - 11/19/15 at 23:31:47

Thanks beowulf.

To answer a few more questions, the input selector is on the top, yes. There is an output level control on the rear for each channel. Input trim controls for balanced inputs would be an option making it possible to set the levels the same between all three inputs if needed. The only real use for this might be a studio setting. In home, you simply adjust the volume control a bit if one source is louder than another.

A balanced signal is made up of two channels. The signal on one of the two channels is inverted so that it is out of phase with the other. Here's a pic of what it looks like on the scope:

The top trace could be thought of as the left channel of your CSP3. The bottom trace would then be the right channel. By using both together like this... one inverted, one not, the voltage measured between them is exactly doubled. Also, any noise common to both channels is canceled since one channel is out of phase.

We don't call them channels now, instead we call them a single balanced channel. So you can see that to create a Left and Right pair of balanced channels, we need four unbalanced channels... basically two CSP3 preamps, which is what this is.  That said, you should now have a better understanding of how the tubes are wired.

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #84 - 11/20/15 at 15:03:05

Cool, look forward to reading how it all fleshes out.

Listening Room:

Shunyata Research ZiTron Alpha Digital Power Cord

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps
(NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC .....for Input Tube~NOS/Platinum/Nationals/Matsushita PCC88 for Output Tubes & 5U4G-C Rectifier)
10 of 10 for Input tube & (8 or 9) of 10 voltage for Output tubes

(NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 in my A12 an B12 positions~6N23P's for Inverter Tubes~JAN Sylvania 0A3's & Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 50% to 70% of Volume

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 11/20/15 at 21:09:06

My dream system will be (a) the new Decware Preamp, (b) the new 6c33c Mono Blocks and (c) a set of custom Omega Single Driver AlNiCo monitors (I'm currently working out the details with Louis at Omega right now).

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #86 - 11/21/15 at 16:11:22

I have my dream System.

However, if things flesh out on the new ZTPRE, the way Steve likes and wants it:

"1) Making one of the inputs a transformer coupled RCA jack so that non-balanced sources could be used. 2) Adding a transformer-coupled RCA output that can be used to feed non-balanced amplifiers.  In this case, the preamp would have both XLR balanced and transformer coupled RCA outputs. Most likely only one will be able to be used at a time but it would make it possible to jump between balanced and non balanced amplifiers with ease".

I will be on the build sheet. Yes, I could live without it....cause my CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps is awesome. But why would I want to be without the new ZTPRE?   Wink Wink Cool Cool

Plus, I will take the new ZTPRE to run fully XLR to a Solid State beast for run of my 1.7i Maggies downstairs. The 1.7i's need to be pounded to be enjoyed = fun. (410 watts per channel-into the 4 ohm Magnepan's)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #87 - 11/23/15 at 17:12:19

Hi Steve, hope you spent the weekend with the new ZTPRE, ZMA and the big Mono's. ....running the HR1's, that are similar in efficiency to my modified Adagio's.

What voltage output did you use coming out of new ZTPRE? What volume is the ZMA at? I'm also assuming you're using the ZDSD @ -20 output through your ZDSD RCA output transformers to RCA input and output on the ZTPRE?

Or, are you just running balanced through the whole chain, right now? I guess, I'm hoping you're already experimenting this past weekend, with the in and output RCA trannies for the ZTPRE, adopted from your ZDSD output development unbalanced.

Very relevant as well; I look forward to comparisons vs. the CSP3. Unbalanced ZTPRE in and out trannies vs. unbalanced CSP3 of course. Density and weight comparisons with Pre Tubes "in Series"/ZTPRE clarity/transparency................and potential advantages of the double voltage output, it can be turned up to vs. the CSP3.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #88 - 12/07/15 at 18:23:18

Headphone jack/input available? OTL/CSP3 style, 300 to 600 ohm compatible for my Sennheiser HD 600's (300 ohm)?

Listening Room:

Shunyata Research ZiTron Alpha Digital Power Cord

W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the curb quite a few superb DAC'S!

(NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Input Tube~Russian 6N1P-EV's for Output Tubes & 5U4G-C Rectifier)
10 of 10 for Input tube & 9 of 10 voltage for Output tubes
Volume adjustment usage at 0 to 40%

(NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 in my A12 an B12 positions~6N23P-EV's for Inverter Tubes~JAN Sylvania 0A3's & Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 50% to 70% of Volume

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #89 - 12/11/15 at 13:59:26

Hi Steve, realizing Headphone access would drive up the cost.....not needed/if not an option. I can keep my CSP3 for my Phones.

Not to be pushy or anything? Any one thing to report?   Cheesy

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #90 - 12/31/15 at 18:38:47

Happy New Year Steve - have you been listening to the new pre prototype over the holidays?

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 01/01/16 at 23:34:40

Seems news and updates on this one went a bit silent.
Can't believe Steve actually took it easy for the holidays!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #92 - 01/02/16 at 06:05:09

I've been listening to the first unit since October. The second one is under construction. I lost some time this year over the holidays replacing the stairs to our finished basement. The stair treads were all splitting and have been a hazard for years. Naturally before it was finished, the treads, risers, skirt boards, and modifications to the stringers became involved which lead to finishing which lead to mistakes which lead to air brush and well I'm sure you get the idea.  As for the preamp so far I am still very pleased with what I am hearing. After 2 months of listening I decided to lower the heater voltage with some series resistors between each tube since it was running on the high side and rather than fix it right away I wanted to listen to it for awhile.  As expected it was a good move... another layer of liquidity presented itself as a result. Other than that I can't imagine changing anything.

This second unit will have one of the three inputs configured for a single ended source with an RCA jack. It will feed a balanced transformer allowing single ended sources like the ZP3 and others to be used without changing the balanced nature of the preamp. In other words, when you hook the ZP3 or any other single ended source to it, that source becomes transformer balanced. So this unit will have three inputs, one that is RCA and two that are XLR balanced.  The RCA jack will float so that there is no ground path between the single ended source and the input of the ZPTRE.

I'm anxious to get this done, as it will be my personal unit, and I will be using my ZTPRE with it regularly Smiley

I'll post some more pics as I get this second one done.  

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #93 - 01/04/16 at 02:00:05

teaser page while I finish the black one  ;) can be found here: https://www.decware.com/newsite/comingsoon.html

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 01/04/16 at 22:35:43

Hello Steve,
On the "Coming Soon" page, under the last picture of the amp, it says: Single Ended Triode.  I was thinking this amp is shunt resistor push-pull.  Do I have it wrong?

It seems to be a great amp. I would love to hear one.
Brian

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #95 - 01/05/16 at 01:28:58

Hi Brian,

It is an SET stage driving a SRPP stage.  Series Regulated Push Pull aka Single-ended Reflexive push pull aka SEPP, Totem Pole, Mu Follower.  Runs in hard class A.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #96 - 01/05/16 at 03:29:01

Steve That looks pretty cool almost like a V6! It makes me wonder if there might be a power amp in that  format some day might have to use shorter tubes.  I love my plate amps though, probably easier to disperse heat.  The pre does look nice!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #97 - 01/05/16 at 13:56:45

Balanced output only?

You mentioned, working on single ended out as well in previous post.

Great having one single ended input for my ZDSD and its output stage, I want to continue using.

However, I need RCA out of the new ZTPRE, to run into my ZMA/unbalanced. I guess that could take away from the purpose of the new Pre balanced output to an Amps balanced input.

But, ....and a BIG BUT, can you give me what you did with the RCA single ended out Tranny's of the ZDSD....in the new ZTPRE?

I suppose I could send my ZMA to you for XLR Inputs/install....... . This would mean, I need to get a pair of Kimber Select XLR cables too...... . I will be sticking with a full Loom of Kimber Select.....their is nothing like it with Decware.

Listening Room:

W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
{also @ kept/-20 Ref Level & -.5db Input volume Level}

(NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Input Tube~6N1P-EV's for Output Tubes & 5U4G-C Rectifier)
Volume adjustment usage at 25% to 50% of usable volume

(NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 in my A12 an B12 positions~6N23P-EV's for Inverter Tubes~JAN Sylvania 0A3's & Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 25% to 35% of usable volume

All four pieces of Gear running from an: ADCOM ACE - 515 AC enhancer

~OR~

PS: NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 /Inputs = ZMA are breathtaking.............. .

*Also: Cryoset 6N23N-EB's, rotated in and out of Inputs/ZMA*

NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for Input Tube/CSP3 ~ not taken for granted neither......... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #98 - 01/05/16 at 15:37:11

The ZTPRE will have the option of having one possibly two single ended RCA inputs for use with unbalanced sources.  

For use with unbalanced amps, a ZBIT will be recommended.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #99 - 01/05/16 at 16:33:37

No ZBIT for me.

I could send in my ZMA as I mentioned for XLR Input's....+ get XLR Kimber for Pre to ZMA....... .

Nope, I'm out.

"I bid you adieu!"  .....and good luck. Its been a fun ride.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3