03/28/24 at 18:07:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First Post (Read 6259 times)
pineman
Verified Member

First Post
03/15/15 at 01:32:58

After several months of research I decided to take the plunge on an all-Decware system. I have been a musician and music lover for over 40 years, but have never actually owned a sound system for listening to music.  After going through several iterations of hodgepodge recording systems, borrowed stereo gear, PA systems, boom boxes, canned consumer 5.1 HT, and convenient compromises (Bose Wave…), I decided it was high time to invest in my own enjoyment of just listening to music. I auditioned some higher end gear at the “boutique” audio stores in my neighborhood, but couldn’t really get comfortable with the whole retail sales experience.  I spent many hours on the web researching products and reading reviews, and ultimately was drawn to Decware for a number of reasons.  Handbuilt in the USA. Lifetime guarantee. Direct-to-customer sales. Loyal following.  While I would never advise somebody to buy a stereo system without first listening to it, my decision to buy from Decware was as much philosophical as anything else.  So late last year I took delivery of a ZMA with the NOS red Mallory caps, a pair of ERRx radials in cherry, and a ZCD200i. I have been enjoying the break-in period, as a great-sounding system just keeps getting better and better. For now, I just want to express my thanks to Steve, Zygi, and the many forum members here.

VPI Classic w/ Ortofon 2M Black, ZP3; PS Audio DSD & PST; ZMA, Zenstyx; Bösendorfer VC-7
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: First Post
Reply #1 - 03/15/15 at 01:53:21

What an awesome first post!

Welcome to the family! Great choice on gear!

If you're handy with a computer, you might look into adding Steve's new DAC to your lineup. If it's even half as good as people are saying, it's going to be pretty amazing.

Keep breaking that gear in, it gets better with age!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/15/15 at 18:03:09

Hey Pineman...sounds like a very similar story to many here. Thanks for your thoughts! A few things come to mind as you transition into Decware quality.

Even though you are probably through the rougher burnin by now, with the extraordinary transparency and harmonic beauty these amps and speakers are capable of....it takes time to really hear them fully, but as you have noticed so far, it is an awesome trip.

Also, in my experience anyway, there is not much for limits with the quality of musical experience you can get from this gear. With room, power, tubes, cables, front end, vibration management...really, for me, the potential just keeps unfolding, and after years of playing with it! I really enjoy this part too...hearing the music and creatively nudging it to sound better. That Steve and Zygi have made gear that can be taken so far by how each of us use it, I think this is a real gift!

Enjoy your amazing system!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/16/15 at 12:53:45

Pineman, thanks for joining our little community!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #4 - 03/17/15 at 00:09:59

Hey, Pineman. My journey started about a year before yours. You sound like me..musician, but never had a great system etc. etc. Decware gear has spoiled me and I am sure it will you. I look forward to many years of blissful listening and those WOW! moments. Enjoy!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Raymundo
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 03/17/15 at 03:59:54

Welcome also, Pineman.

At the risk of being repetitive, I am in the same boat where you began and am heading for the same destination you are arriving at now.

What do you think of the ZCD200i?

I was attracted to the device, but saw it was reaching the end of production, so my interest cooled.

Can you fit an iphone 6 with the lightning connector?  Looks like you could use the little white adapter.

Sounds like it could serve as an on-ramp for my FM streaming "habit".

Thanks in advance,  Raymundo

IP Logged
pineman
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 03/17/15 at 05:09:14

Thanks all for the welcome!

Raymundo, I am enjoying the ZCD200i, although I don't have much to compare it to.  As Will and Lonely Raven noted, the system as a whole has continued to improve so dramatically over the past couple months, it is difficult to isolate any individual component.  As for iPhone compatibility, my son has an iPhone 4 which fits, but my other son has an iPhone 5c which does not fit. I'm afraid I'm not much help about an iPhone 6 with an adapter. Perhaps others have tried this and can comment.  

Full disclosure: I was so impressed by the Decware philosophy and the passionate user community, that I felt comfortable choosing the ZCD. Heck if Steve made a TT I'd probably consider buying that, too!  

VPI Classic w/ Ortofon 2M Black, ZP3; PS Audio DSD & PST; ZMA, Zenstyx; Bösendorfer VC-7
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #7 - 03/17/15 at 18:14:37

Pineman - I read your post with a chuckle, I too sold off just about everything so far and have replaced it with Decware products (although my new speakers will not be) and the whole design, build, quality, ZEN approach really works. I listened to some records yesterday after work and the whole phono system is sublime. I am in heaven. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print