Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 06:22:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I jumped down the rabbit hole...:) (Read 14564 times)
JazztoGo

I jumped down the rabbit hole...:)
03/11/15 at 03:22:44

So Down the rabbit hole I go....I ordered a CSP3 and ZDSD to go with my Decware Torii MKIV and Omega outlaw speakers.

I really liked what I read about the new ZDSD and sounds like what I am looking for, but then the issue of not having much usable volume with the Torii MKIV and my speakers came up.  After talking to Steve about options i decided to get the CSP3 for the felxiablity of volume and along with other factors....lol Rabbit Hole jumping is great fun!

Thank you Steve and everyone at decware for being so awesome,  I am an idiot when it comes to audio stuff and electronic language and you guys were very patient and helpful and I really appreciate that...Thank you.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: I jumped down the rabbit hole...:)
Reply #1 - 03/11/15 at 15:53:10

Yes, the rabbit hole. No regrets, because I've finally arrived where I want to be, an the journey has been fun. I'm parting with some things that are sitting an need to go/good karma. I will post soon.

Glad you spoke to Steve, Jazz. I have no doubt you will enjoy the ZDSD + CSP3 + your Torii 4. The gain/volume adjustments, the voltage output tuning on the CSP3, serves Speaker's ranging from JansZen's, Magnepan's, my Polks, to Omega's. Hope the wait is not long.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #2 - 03/11/15 at 18:54:44

Hey jazz,  sounds like your going to be in a great hole/place... soon. CSP / ZDSD are on my wish list.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
JazztoGo

Reply #3 - 04/21/15 at 13:30:46

Hey everyone,  So last night I got my new Zdsd dac and csp3 preamp...as all ways they look awesome and were packed really really well.  I hope to get time late today to set it up to get a chance for a listen.  So excited...like a kid at christmas lol

happy listening everyone

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 04/21/15 at 14:05:51

CONGRATULATIONS! Keep us posted about your happy listening!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 04/21/15 at 14:33:40

Awesome! I'm looking forward to your report! I'm sure you'll like it - your overall setup sounds awesome.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/22/15 at 14:21:02

alright, alright, alright!

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #7 - 04/22/15 at 21:20:34

Jazz- if you gotta jump in a hole, I say this is the one to get into!! Congrats on rec'd you gear, keep us posted on the trip.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #8 - 04/22/15 at 22:11:35

The VU's on my jealousy meter just went into the red. Enjoy and yes...let us know your thoughts.

IP Logged
JazztoGo

Reply #9 - 04/23/15 at 00:46:36

Well I finally got things all setup and have started to figure these things out.  Still fine tuning but so far enjoying the sound and also the felxability of using the CSP3 to help dial in the volume.  I have a pair of outlaw omega speakers RS5 driver so they are really efficient and living in condo i cant really turn it up much.  With the preamp I can now open the amp a little more and still have usable volume...its nice haha  More to come as burn in progresses....

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #10 - 06/12/15 at 22:32:45

Jazztogo...How's the new set up sounding...your thoughts?

IP Logged
JazztoGo

Reply #11 - 06/13/15 at 01:01:59

Hey yeah sorry been letting things burn in so have been waiting on commenting until now.

So my setup is the following chain....Spotify--iPure doc----ZDSD--CSP3---TORII MKIV---Omega RS5/8" sub outlaw speakers---enjoyment Smiley

So first off I only stream spotify premium and this year plan to start a dsd dowload collection that I can transfer on sd cards for the ZDSD.

Definitely the first thing I noticed once all was burned in was that the sound got fuller and clearer in detail than just the Torii MKIV with Van Alstine hybrid dac.  

I really love being able to dial in the balance and the volume now with my omega speakers.  Before with just the torii I really didnt have any usable volume before it started to get too loud,  but that problem is no more..haha.

At first the CSP3 added a veil to the sound that I was just not liking but once it got burned in that veil started to go away and knowing that there is more burning to come just makes me gidding.  The sound is very involving and muscial.

Earlier this year a friend came over with his turntable and phono preamp, nothing fancy think it only cost like 300 for both, and he played some records and we a/b the records to my streaming thru Van alstine dac and the record just was in a different league.  So since then I have been trying to get that same fullness without going the turntable route as I just dont have space.  

With the ZDSD I feel that the music is there for where i am happy with it and have had no thoughts anymore about my friends records and how my setup was sounding thin.  

Yep loving this new ZDSD and also the CSP3..they are just incredible for what they can do and have more tubes and light meters is just flat out cool to look at Smiley

All i need now is to save up for the HR-1 but that will be most likely years down the road...haha it never ends but it sure is a fun ride.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #12 - 06/16/15 at 18:17:04

It all sounds great. If I go with ZDSD it would be for archive of LP's. If it's as good as spinning vinyl I'll be a happy camper! Then I can be lazy and just let the ZDSD play while I lounge and enjoy! Still waiting for more members to weigh in on the ZDSD being used for Vinyl archiving. Enjoy your set up...it sounds awesome.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 06/17/15 at 15:04:17

I highly recommend Opus 3 for DSD downloads. I'm not sure what magic they sprinkle on the recordings, but they are the closest to actual tape that I've heard.

Cookie at Blue Coast Records also does great recordings, very live and small venue feeling. But I don't always care for the artists she has.

When you buy DSD - make sure the place you're buying from knows the provenance of the material.  In the digital world it's easy to convert a 24/96 PCM to DSD5.6 and upcharge for it as a "DSD" file (so bogus).

IMHO, anything straight to DSD, or Tape to DSD, or DXD to DSD is fine. PCM to DSD I have qualms with.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 06/26/15 at 22:45:17

And further down the rabbit hole I go. I was saving money for my next Decware purchase, possibly upgrading my Tori MK3 to a MK4 or the new monos or something with a UFO mod but I ran across a Berning ZH-230 OTL amp (ZOTL is what he calls it) for a price I could swing. David Berning lives close to me but I've always considered his amps price prohibitive. This was a rare opportunity because I've never seen this amp for sale on the used market.

So we will see if it's as good as they say. I had to sell my AI modulus preamp but I still have my CSP3 and I might just have to sell my beloved Tori MK3 if the ZH-230 works well with ERRx speakers. My ZMA and Janszen speakers are a match made in heaven and will stay put in my listening room.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #15 - 06/27/15 at 12:18:52

Do tell more Ilance about the Berning. I just read a Review in Sound Stage Ultra about it. Very cool.

Well, further down the Rabbit Hole I go! I have an Yggdrasil DAC coming.

More importantly, I have a Torii Junior coming with UFO wide bandwidth. Like the ZMA HAS BLOWN OUR MINDS.....I have a hunch the Jr. Is going to be pretty damn special.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 07/02/15 at 23:10:55

The David Berning ZH230 has been in my system for a couple of days now and wow, really, really good amp. It's mated with my ZDSD + CSP3 + ERRx speakers replacing my Tori MK3. As cliche as it sounds it feels like a "veil has been lifted". This thing is fast, the bass has punch and is tight with unbelievable clarity. Almost leaning word solid state but the very best SS with the best qualities of that tube magic. The ZH230 outperforms the MK3 and I would expect as much at more than twice the price. The MK3 is more forgiving on less than well recorded material.

This is currently the best I have ever heard my ERRx sound, very natural sounding. I should have time to move this amp to my listening room where the ZMA resides. It will be a more interesting comparison that is if the 36 watts of the ZH230 will do the job. I think it's permanent home is with the ERRs though. That means from a financial stand point I must sell the MK3 as much I hate to.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #17 - 07/07/15 at 14:01:28

It will be interesting to hear/read, if the Berning ZH230 likes running the JansZen's in your Listening Room and how it compares to the ZMA.

I noticed in your Classified for the Torii 3, you're running a pair of Polk LSiM703's on Mapleshade Blocks and Brass Points. How are those (the Polk's)?

Ever since I got my Adagio's modified to full range with a single Mcap Supreme....I have not looked back. However, I still have my vintage Polk SDA1's, I run in Stereo...still pretty damn good. But, the Adagio's best them now.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 07/07/15 at 23:42:15

The Torii mK3 and the polks are a wonderful combo. They're both sitting aside out of my system currently (that was an old picture). If I didn't need the money I would move the Torii3 and Polks to my office. I will probably end up selling the Polks as well. The ZMA and ERRs are at work in my living room system at the moment. The ERRx speakers are my favorite in this room because of the configuration, glass on one side, open foyer on the other and of course the dreaded L shape into the dining area.

I now have the Berning ZH230 in my listening room with the Janszen zA2.1 hybrid electrostats and wow! I can't believe this 30 watt amp is not only powering these speakers but louder than I care to listen. There is more usable volume than the 40 watt ZMA provides. I am going back and forth with the CSP3 in and out. It look like the best sound is direct from DS DAC to ZH230 using unbalanced Morrow MA5 RCA cables.

I think I'm listening (my opinion) the best amp I've ever heard in the ZH230. This is not to say the ZMA is a slouch at all, they are different. The Berning seems even more real, like the musicians are in the room or I'm in a small club. There is a certain euphoria I get listening to the ZMA, that "out of body experience", it's so mesmerizing. Both amps present a big sound stage and maximum transparency. They are both outstanding amps the biggest difference being the ZMA is more affordable. I was lucky to pick up the Berning used in perfect condition for less than my ZMA cost me but I rarely see them pop up on the used market.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #19 - 07/08/15 at 13:40:37

Very nice to hear. I bet that hybrid switching OTL design is something to hear (or not hear).....it just gets out of the way of the Music. I will keep my eye's open for a ZH230. One never knows........ .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3