Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Battery powered (Read 7992 times)
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Battery powered
03/02/15 at 11:57:58

Hi guys
Hope listening is good. I have a question I hope to get som help with.
I read a lot in forums still and Im getting more interested in power treatment. What I want to ask you is; can I use a battery to power my Mini Tori. Im thinking of using maybe 2 12volt high capacity battery and an inverter to get 230 volts (Norway)

First i just wonder if it can be done technically, what would positive and negative effects of this solution? Im thinking of going this way because i find products like Isotek and PS AUdio power plants to be very expensive. The MT only uses 75watts (correct?) but im wondering how long a battery will be able supply power. The inverter im considering will contain an automatic chargersolution.

As you can tell, im not educated to understand if this is doable and good solution. Please point me in the correct direction for a good solution.

J

Edit.. Ups.. Post ended up at a wrong place, can moderator please move to correct place..

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Battery powered
Reply #1 - 03/02/15 at 13:09:12

Jorgen,  don't worry, as more posts in different topics come, yours will drop down to "Non" important board topics.  I've noticed this relatively new feature of treating topics as important when they are first posted.  Happened to one of mine.  Mark.

PS...How are you liking your Omega Super 7XRS speakers with Alincos

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 03/02/15 at 17:17:14

jorgan,

Technically you *can* use a battery run through a (good) power inverter to power an amp, but I'm betting it would introduce more trouble than it's worth.

First off, the whole point of running batteries is to get yourself off of A/C and the noise that rides on it. Once you introduce an inverter, you're putting whatever noise the inverter is causing back into the line! Interters are made using the cheapest materials possible to get the job done, they are far from audiophile or lab grade.

Secondly, part of what strangles an amp is that instantaneous draw of power, and the supply line not being able to give it. With straight up batteries, you can get good, low resistance power pretty fast. But who knows how that inverter would strangle the current. Even though your amp is only 75 watts, I would recommend an inverter of no less than 1000 watts so that it *might* have the juice and not strangle the amp.

Lastly, I mentioned resistance above. One of the features of the expensive (oh so expensive!) PS Audio regenerators is the low resistance that your amp sees when it asks for that sudden pop of power. I'm having trouble looking up where I read this, but I swear that PS Audio touts their regenerators as 10X less resistance than even your wall outlet!! (I could be wrong on that last part, but still)

So my recommendation to you is that if you happen to have this stuff around, or you can borrow this type of battery/inverter setup - give it a try. But I see lots of reasons why it might not work to your liking.

One last warning, if you use lead acid car batteries - they off-gas something that's not good for you. I forget what it is, sulfur or something - so lead-acid batteries are not recommended for in home use. Be Safe!

I hope that helps out some. I'm no expert, but I read up a lot on stuff like this.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/02/15 at 17:28:23

Hi Mark
Oh I wasn't aware of that feature in this forum, I saw my post had dropped down to the less important topics  8-)

I really like my speakers, even though not true super xrs, they are more like one off, the 7" alnico is excellent. Since I'm  kind of a noob I don't have the same platform to compare, but the combo with Decware is really really good. Both amp and driver have a lot of hours by now, So I'm using it a lot. Maybe close to 30 hours per week... Also I have begun to get some experience with different tubes.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #4 - 03/02/15 at 19:30:32

LR: "One of the features of the expensive (oh so expensive!) PS Audio regenerators is the low resistance that your amp sees when it asks for that sudden pop of power. I'm having trouble looking up where I read this, but I swear that PS Audio touts their regenerators as 10X less resistance than even your wall outlet!!"

For what is worth, wall outlets are high output impedance sources. The whole notion of Power Correction Factor (or PCF) is applied in power conditioners that actually offer so low an output impedance, you get a significant boost in dynamics (severals dBs higher SPL in equal conditions). All transformers are also considered high output impedance devices.

Jorgen,

As LR stated, I also don't think a battery supply will accommodate the necessary peak current demand draw triggered during highly dynamic passages, but this needs to be tested before arriving to any conclusions.

Any artifacts, like an inverter (especially the size you would need) will be seen by the amp as high impedance output device too, not good. I think battery supply is ideal for digital components, but not for speaker amplification duties, in general.

This is just my non-expert opinion, of course.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 03/02/15 at 20:01:59

Now, what we'd really need is proper battery power for the B+ of the circuits in the amp itself. Bypass the power transformer and rectifier altogether!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #6 - 03/02/15 at 20:04:31

Sounds like an idea, although what really messes up with noise are the larger components (transformers, chokes, rectifier, etc.) ...  I think?

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/02/15 at 21:16:36

@ LR - Perhaps you can find a used one of these:

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/02/15 at 22:19:22

Jorgen,

I have not looked into this area for audio, but I built and used an off-grid micro-hydro power system from 1984 until 2007. I had a very small 24 volt turbine that charged a bank of lead-acid golf cart batteries, the battery wired to the inverter and a dump circuit (water heater) to keep the battery from over charging. Since the turbine produced 24 hours a day whether or not we used the power, we needed somewhere for the power to go. In your arrangement the charger would take care of regulating the battery charging.

So I know it is possible, but as mentioned, the question is how quiet it would be. There were many developments with inverters in my time, and they got more quiet with "sine-wave" inverters, but they were not pure sine wave and had noise in the output, and though regulated, voltage could move around a bit.

Also, a charger has its potential electronic noises. These would be important areas to look at carefully. Using batteries for audio noise reduction, you could easily defeat the purpose with the wrong charger or inverter. Since the charger wires to the battery and the inverter comes off it using the same terminals, any noise can go right across the battery.

Special batteries designed to deep cycle (car type batteries are designed for very high output for short periods and not to cycle deeply) would be needed. Deep cycle batteries have voltage and amp hour ratings. Other than getting the right battery for the job (acid, lithium, or whatever) you would need to calculate the optimal battery size for your instantaneous surge use and to sustain your general output, including the inverter inefficiency. And DC power with batteries can be dangerous!

It would seem to me also, likely better to do without the inverter if possible, like Raven suggests, but this is a whole different arena, to bypass the AC of your amp.

And there may be quiet inverters now. But I find that everything matters with our transparent gear, and for me, even a PS Audio P5 imposed a notable sound signature in my system beyond the benefits of voltage regulation and "clean" power. It all has to go through wires and circuits and caps and receptacles, etc, and each of these apparently can be heard. I had to work with this a fair bit with cables, feet, a fuse and the addition of a Shunyata Defender to get the P5 where I liked it. I am really picky after years of careful system tuning, but still, to me the stock P5 was not transparent, even with PSAudios best power cable. And these are built for audio by smart folks.

Also, Steve spent a fair bit of energy on the Mini Torii power supply and VRs and the rest. So one trick is to clean the power before it without messing up Steve's voicing.

Below is link for a battery power setup for 24V, not exactly what you need, but it is from a guy who has done serious research and development on transparent power with reduced noise. His name is Dave at Pi Audio. He knows a whole lot about these things, and may be able to help you get to an effective solution.

http://www.piaudiogroup.com/BatteryBUSS.html

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 03/13/15 at 07:07:32

Many good responses here. No doubt, I would dive right into a situation using only DC for my entire system if I could. On the practical side, there could be a considerable investment. It doesn't stop there, as design would naturally throw a few curve balls for all your efforts, such as the charging system mentioned in the above post. Strangely, some dry cell batteries have a sort of noise of their own. Something to do with how the acid is eating away at the core to produce DC in the first place. Lastly, even if part of a system were to be running on DC, bypassing the original power supply design might have an effect, as mentioned in the previous post. I have, however used a simple battery powered pre-amp, and was astonished at the transparency that it produced. It was an inexpensive kit sold by Bottlehead. I continued working/upgrading the unit only to see additional improvements. Tubed power amps (and most other types for that matter) would likely be a challenge for battery use.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/13/15 at 11:24:35

http://www.refurbups.com/APC-SURT6000XLT-Smart-UPS-RT-6000-XLI-208V-200-240V?sc=...

Hos about something like this?

Nice of you guys to educate me and share your experiences. There is a movie on this site were Steve switches to battery power. Anyone knows what his system are made of?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print