Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 15:06:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to reduce the transformer humming? (Read 9076 times)
Stefan
Seasoned Member

How to reduce the transformer humming?
02/26/15 at 05:16:05

Hi,
my Torri IV has now almost 100h on it, it starts to sound really great (has now NOS Philips 4R4GYS, Telefunken PCC88/7DJ8, RCA OA2), a really wide soundstage and very detailed.
The only thing that annoys me a bit is the hum of the transformers as I sit just 4 feet away from it. Anyone found a way to quite them down a bit?

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
RW82
Verified Member

Re: How to reduce the transformer humming?
Reply #1 - 03/11/15 at 08:52:03

Sorry, the physical hum from the transformers cannot be helped AFAIK.  More distance should help greatly.

MBP 24 bit Audio via Oppo 103, PS Audio PWD Mk II DAC, Z-Stage, Pass Labs 30.8, Decware DM 947 Speakers.
  IP Logged
Guillaume Bougard
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/15/15 at 21:54:36

I've noticed that when I apply pressure on the transformers (the things with the stickers), I greatly reduce the hum. So would the transformers hum due to some vibration???? And would removing the metal "box" (on which the stickers are glued) remove the vibration???

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/15/15 at 22:20:41

Are you guys using any isolation under the amp?  I own a Torii III and have it set on an amp stand and used to also have Herbie's Isocups under it as well, overkill but dead quiet.  With that said I've never hear my transformers humming before.  Could if had become slightly loose in shipping? I'm not sure if our transformers are the same but I would check isolation and doublecheck that the screws are tight that hold it to the chassis,  if not call Steve.
Good Luck
JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 12/15/15 at 22:24:08

I don't hear transformer hum either on my Torii Mk III. I have my Torii on VooDoo Cable Iso Pods, on top of a PS Audio PerfectWave PowerBase, but even before I did I had no transformer hum.

Have you considered perhaps something like the Herbie's Audio Lab Sonic Stabilizer on the transformers?

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/15/15 at 22:39:52

Guillaume Bougard,  I wouldn't start taking things apart.  When  I lean over my Torii MK IV to turn it on, I do notice an  initial hum but from my seat I can't hear anything. I also use 3 Iso cups under the amp and Herbies Sonic Stabilizers on two of the 4 transformers...can't remember which.  If it disturbs you ask Steve about it.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/16/15 at 01:01:51

I get transformer hum from my ZP3 and I did take it apart and tried some rubber between the top and the wood base since the hum was louder when things were put together.  I was not able to reduce the hum and I live with it since I really only hear it up close.  I don't have any other transformer hum and I think it could be a case of some transformers hum more than others.  Base isolation might help but in my case it did not.

I assume you have some kind of power conditioning/isolation already?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print