03/29/24 at 02:25:33 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Goosebumps! (Read 7851 times)
ToT
Verified Member

Goosebumps!
02/18/15 at 17:03:02

Today I received my pre-owned Taboo MK III with USAF 596 rectifier, 6P15P-ER Military Edition output tubes and Amperex 6922 Pinched Waist.

My previous amp was a Little Dot MK III with Voshkhod tubes.
I loved that thing and thought that any improvement another amp would make only would be subtle.

Boy, was I wrong!

I hear details I've never heard before, the sound is SO spacious, no big emphasis on any frequencies that I can tell (the Little Dot with Voshkhods especially had an emphasis on the frequencies where bassguitars are). I now realise how muddy my previous amp sounded. Also, the sibilance in all songs so far is either far more gentle or even completely gone!

I'm really re-discovering music yet again! Some songs have fantastic subtleties. This amp sounds so refined!

The Lucid mode is very interesting and it does give a "Wow"-factor to some instruments and voices, but I first want to discover everything in the normal setting.

This REALLY is what music should sound like!

Sorry for sounding like such a fanboy, but I really am astonished!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Goosebumps!
Reply #1 - 02/18/15 at 17:11:33

If you're like me you'll use lucid mode sparingly.  I used it occasionally with some trio or quartet recordings with a nice effect.  I haven't listened to head phones in 6+ months though.  What headphones are you using?  My favorites are Audeze LCD2.2s with a "Silver Widow" Balanced Cable from Toxic Cables.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
ToT
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/18/15 at 17:42:50

Oh I see I forgot to mention that in my enthousiasm!  :D

I have an Audeze LCD-X, and the Taboo is connected to a Parasound Zdac.

Right now I am using the stock XLR cable of the headphone, but I have ordered a Toxic Virus cable, and I'm also thinking about a Norne Solv X.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/18/15 at 18:11:53

Ah, that Hybrid Cooper and Silver cable should be nice.  Did you get a balanced connector?  With the Taboo it's really better and allows you to turn off old lucid mode which isn't possible otherwise if I recall correctly. Have Frank change it if you didn't order a balanced cable...it's well worth the small added expense. The LCD-X had just come out when I started focusing on listening to speakers so I'm not familiar with them.  Do you Know how they compare to the LCD 2.2s? Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
ToT
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 02/18/15 at 18:34:46

Yeah I ordered balanced with XLR. I already had a fantastic Oyaide cable with jackplug, but with this amp I really wanted XLR.

I believe the LCD-X is more open in the highs than the 2.2 and is "faster", so tighter bass, faster transition between tones etc.

Still the LCD2 was my first choice, but the pre-owned ones sell so incredibly quickly that I always was too late with contacting the seller. They're immensely popular!

I am the 3rd owner of this LCD-X and I really do think I also will be the last. I absolutely love it!

IP Logged
ToT
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 02/18/15 at 21:57:17

So, I was told that replacing my Parasound Zdac with a better dac should be the next step, but getting a Zbit is another advice.

I'll go bankrupt!   Cheesy

IP Logged
ToT
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 02/21/15 at 15:35:23

Today I connected my 200 watt active JBL S412PBE studio speakers to the taboo.

The volume is more than enough, but it could use a bit more body, compared to my 115 watt-per-channel Onkyo TX-DS696.
However, the music is SO much clearer now! Stereo-effects are much more obvious. Much more detail in the higher frequencies.
The very lowest bass actually seems to be stronger now. It's the upper bass and the lower mids that now are a bit more gentle.

It now sounds much more spacious now, much more separation.

Can't wait till the Zbit arrives to see what it will sound like then!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print