Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:49:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
And now for something completely different (Read 4273 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

And now for something completely different
02/14/15 at 23:33:49

I am coming to the collective knowledge base here for some suggestions.
Does anyone have any input on a desktop headphone system? Something that could be left on my desk in a cube farm without too much worry.
The headphones could be easily put in a drawer when I leave, but the amp would more than likely stay out.
So what I am thinking about is something using my iPod and Wadia 170 as a music server. The company frowns on storing anything on their systems( OK frowns is a misnomer, fires would be the correct term).
In thinking this through, my needs would be a DAC, an amp, and headphones.
As the office tube guy, a tube amp would be a cool touch, something that would impress the boys.
Since the only time I am alone in the cube is from 5:30 till 6:30 AM, and most of the rest of the day there would be background noise, I'm willing to give up ultimate sound for ease of use.
Does anyone think that this could be done for $750?
So summing up, DAC, amp, headphones, $750, tubes would be cool.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Re: And now for something completely different
Reply #1 - 02/15/15 at 00:41:15

Couple years ago I attended Decfest and Steve had me listen to this and the CSP on Headphones and this sounded great. You have to go to the catalog and look for ZENHEAD, or go here:

https://www.decware.com/newsite/zenhead.htm

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/15/15 at 18:02:52

Donnie,
I will recommend 3 setups.
#1 The first one would be the Zenhead. I ran this one for a year or so and loved the sound. I had this paired up with my Modified Fostex TR50 headphones. If you want some tubes in the chain, I added a Zbox and it improved the sound. Simple, small, easy to hide inside a drawer.

#2 Emotiva DC-1. This is a DAC that also has two headphone outputs. Small footprint, remote and its a nice DAC.

#3 Something from Shiit. They have nice lineup of headphone stuff. I have not heard their headphone amps but have heard their DACs. Nice stuff.

John

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 02/15/15 at 22:11:22

Does anyone know anything about Jolida? They have a tube DAC with a headphone amp. $600 will buy one with Bluetooth.
I figure I can swipe wifi from our visitors access with my iPad and stream music then Bluetooth it into the Jolida. Grado makes some pretty good $150 headphones, so I'm into this right on budget at $750.
I know that it isn't the ultimate in sound quality, but it is just for work.
Any thoughts?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/15/15 at 22:41:50

That looks pretty SWEET. These guys liked it:

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/jolida-glass-fx-tube-dac-iii/

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print