04/18/24 at 17:28:53 

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Becoming Isolated (Read 6341 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Becoming Isolated
02/13/15 at 23:41:16

I am feeling that my system is at the point where I can appreciate some fine tuning.  The last big step to getting here was the LPSU in my Mac Mini.

So I was reading a post on the forum and isolation was mentioned along with this link: http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm   Thanks to whoever posted this BTW.

I've been kind of an isolation skeptic, mostly driven by the marketing hype and high cost of most isolation devices.

But this article made sense to me and the cost could not be beat, so I figured what the heck.

The gist of the article is simple, you need to control vibration in the vertical, horizontal and rotational planes simultaneously.  Most other (expensive) solutions don't address all three.

Sounds complicated, but it is achieved easily with about $10 in parts.  A bicycle tube, a piece of plywood, 3 ball bearings and 3 concave, round drawer pulls and some bluetak.  I got everything except the plywood at Ace Hardware.

Basically the plywood goes on top of the inner tube, and the concave drawer pulls are each imbedded in a small chunk of wood (with the bluetak to deaden them) with the ball bearing placed on top.  The drawer pulls are place in an equilateral triangle. You then rest your gear so it balances on top of the three ball bearings.  It may sound a bit unstable, but its not.  Surprisingly, its pretty stable.

I did this with my MK III and also my Mac Mini.  It will definitely change the sound.  I think you have to follow his recipe exactly or it may change the sound to something you don't like.

I am not where I want to be yet but it is quite promising.  When I did the amp alone, it sounded great.  Tighter bass, more extended highs.  GREAT detail.  But when I did the mini, now the highs are too hot and fatiguing.  I think it has to do with how I did the drawer pulls. I have a plan to fix them.

Once I dial this in, I am going to build a nice version of it using better wood.  I am also going to "float" my speakers in the same way (minus the innertube).

Anyway, some will dismiss this as bunk.  I am glad I didn't.  I think it is a cost effective way to isolate your gear and improve your sound.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Becoming Isolated
Reply #1 - 02/13/15 at 23:54:25

Glad you are discovering isolation and experimenting!

I did a lot of DIY isolation in the late 'nineties and early 21st century and then moved on to great products that looked much better to my wife and worked better too. Wink

But boy is there great sound to be found by treating vibrations in these ways!

I started with isolation before fidning a lot of the equipment that has been the best for me, and using isolation components led me to better sound in the process. One thing that I feel key was: I ended up with a particular rack (and then another of the same build) and that rack required different isolation than I had been working with before and I wish I had started with the rack(s), would have saved me a bit in the long run. So I would just suggest that if you intend to end up with a shelf/rack/platform for your system different than what you are using, I wouldn't build your very best example of the isolation component til you find if that is the best fit for that foundation.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #2 - 02/13/15 at 23:57:32

I read that article some months ago. makes good sense. but, I have not acted on it. Let us know your findings once you've had some time to tweak.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/14/15 at 00:49:38

Pal, PM me your email and I'll email you some pictures of my home brew isolation platforms.  Much simpler than the Rube Goldberg contraption that you show.  Really, the inner tube alone would work.  If you get rid of the inner tube and just ride on the bearings, you will still be coupled in the vertical.  I started with that under my HR-1s but given the radial driver that fires vertically, three axis isolation seemed a better way to go.

I scanned the link and I think he is wrong when he says that springs aren't enough.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/14/15 at 01:00:43

Edit, oops, Archie got there first. Sorry for redundancy.

Looks cool. I looked at this some years ago, but it seemed a little complicated, messy, and time consuming, though I have little doubt you could do it tastefully. And what is the resonance of the plywood, and how much gets through the egg holders and marbles or bearings? I have little doubt it has some sound....but probably not much....just depends how much and what it does sound-wise.

So I just paid 75 or so (maybe 90 now?) for some isocups. Speaking of which, Lon and I and others have found you can tune Herbie's isocups, with different "marbles." Could be a good tool one day for fine tuning. Since most designers have not used this level of isolation in their voicing, it can present some challenges and I think different materials, methods and shapes can help with this. I find that I really like several different isolation tools and combinations for different gear. It may not be total, but it is another tuning tool for getting the sound just right for each part or shelf. And they do all sound different.

Archie made some platforms that were really simple and supposed isolate from all directions...two pieces of MDF with springs cut and fitted in correctly placed guide holes on each piece of mdf. Seems the springs might drain vibration well. I have not had a chance to try this, but am interested as a pretty simple solution.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/14/15 at 02:37:07

Yes Lon, now that I have a system where I can tell a difference, I am experimenting.  Interconnects will be next.  I did this first because it was cheap and I always wanted to try isolation.

I can't say how simple this isolation solution is.  The diagram is what I will build once I know I have it right so it looks nice.  I put my prototype together in 10 minutes.

He suggests wooden egg holders in his blog, but I am experimenting with metal concave drawer pulls deadened with bluetak.  Initially, I had them sitting on top of the wood base, but they really need to be sunk into the wood with only the round top sticking up.  

Here is a good article which shows what is basically my prototype:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/seriously-good-isolation-your-system-no-expen...

The spring suggestions sound interesting because they could theoretically isolate in all three directions.  I think there are some high end solutions that use this.  I would suspect unless you had just the right DIY springs that the resonant frequency would not be low enough.

The beef with the inner tube solutions is that you have to pump them up every once in a while.  On my final product, I am going to use a valve extender so I don't have to take it apart to do so.

I spent a lot of time reading through the thread on Steve Hoffman and exchanging e-mails with the inventor.  Super nice guy and very willing to share.  Anyway, he says that all but the most high end commercial solutions only isolate on two planes, not all three.  I may just be drinking the Koolaid, but what he says makes sense.

Here is the Steve Hoffman thread if you care to read it.  There is a lot of repetition.  People suggest simpler solutions over and over again and Barry (inventor) is able to offer his argument for sticking to the recipe.  Still I picked up some ideas not offered in the blog.  http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/attention-barry-diament-and-other-speaker-...

Anyway, I am listening now.  Sounds really good.  I am most impressed with the definition and timbre of the bass.  I still intend to tweak the drawer pulls and if that sounds good, I'll build my final version.

For $20, I am not sure there is a better audio tweak.  My prototype cost less than $12 because I had the wood sitting around.  Anyway, pretty cheap to try.  As with everything tweak related, YMMV.

P.S. if I can find the right non-resonating marble tiles, I am also going to "float" my speakers.  No inner tubes used due to stability concerns, but I will do the roller bearings.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 02/14/15 at 02:52:34

I have some green marble 12 X 12 tiles you can try out. I bought them probably 15 years ago and used them on top of my Decware subwoofer to add some density to the top and help hold it to the floor (LOL).

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 02/14/15 at 03:27:53

I've read and I think contributed to that thread. I've done his bearing tweek, and I've done innertube isolation before. You're right, they work, and they improve things. Ultimately I found better sound in my system through Ingress Engineering RollerBlocks for speakers and my Mapleshade racks required a different methodology that Herbie's Audio Grungebuster Dots beneath maple platforms and Iso-Cups on top of the platform really worked well, and then I added PS Audio PowerBases on top of the platform with Is0-Cups on the PowerBases. EXPENSIVE, but excellent for my shelves and components, and I just got tired of the look and feel of the DIY stuff. . . . But yes, it costs to replace them!

It's so weird how you get to a certain level of transparency with these systems and everything matters: power, isolation, cabling, source components, speakers, and synergy becomes the glue for coherence and enjoyment.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/14/15 at 03:46:48

I am starting to understand your feeling of wanting to stay put on your system Lon. Seems now everything now has an impact and you then have to figure out if it's good...should you go back to where you had it before, etc.  Can be maddening.

Raven if you can pick those tiles up with two fingers and ding them and they thud instead of ring, I will buy them from you.  Good ones that don't ring seem hard to find.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 02/14/15 at 04:04:51

Yes, can be maddening!

I realize also I have to move my system in five months into a new, better room, and THAT will be a big audio adventure!

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #10 - 02/14/15 at 05:22:50

I think there are infinite ways to deal with resonance and vibration, both mechanically coupled and air born.  I am convinced there are very effective ways to reduce both - inexpensively.  Palo has likely stumbled upon one of the many possibilities.
If cosmetics are not too terribly important to you... try this:
I cover the top of my equipment rack shelves with 1/2" thick cork from Bangor Cork - inexpensive and damps the shelves from resonance and vibration and decouples the shelf from your components.  Then for any component that do not have ventilation vents in the bottom, they sit on 2-3" thick convulated(egg crate) foam sheets which are sitting on the cork (I got the foam idea from when I visited one of the most well known amp designers to ever live, and saw all his equipment sitting on it).  This adds another layer of isolation of the shelf from the component and also damps the "entire" bottom of the component chassis from mechanical and air born resonance and vibration.  For components, mostly source, that don't have vents on top.. anything that adds mass will change the resonate frequency of the chassis - this is trial and error to see what effect it has and whether or not you like the effect.
Mostly, here again I have gravitated to the convoluted foam, with a little something on top of the foam to press it down to have good contact with the top of the component chassis.  Now we have the component nearly encased in 2-3" of foam.  Don't believe me - try it - it works - cheaper than dirt.  
I also have a whole box of 40 durometer sorbothane 12" square tiles I bought from some guy years ago.  Great stuff... you'd be surprised what very high-tech devices and components are protected from resonance with sorbothane.  Problem with sorbothane, is that it will discolor the chassis of pretty much anything if left in contact with it for long.  So... here cork enters the equation again.  Cut a piece of cork the size needed, place it on the component, then lay the sorbothane tile on the cork.  
For stuff that has vents top and/or bottom... we can still cover the shelf with cork, and then maybe sorbothane or foam, and then a piece of wood or something on the foam, and then sit the component on that.  I also have a whole box of the old Sims Navcom pucks.  Navcom doesn't muck up finish as bad or as fast as sorbothane, but with enough time, they will cause a bit of discoloration too.  But these can be used to provide decoupling and space between the component and the foam sandwich when venting is required.
There is a guy on audiogon that makes and sells cork resin/birch plywood pucks in a couple of styles and shelves and I think maybe even complete racks made this way.  I have two of the styles of his pucks.. use them to contact the component chassis and then sit them on the cork/sorbothane/foam sandwhiches, for stuff that needs venting.  I am very pleased with the results of this stuff - and the price!  My favorite method is the "encase in foam" approach where I can.  If the mechanical and air born resonance and vibration can't "get to" the component, it can't cause a problem.  I have even envisioned building an enclosed audio rack with this same methodology to completely prevent resonance and air born vibration from getting to the equipment.  It would have to have some kind of forced(fan) ventilation, at least a little bit.  And then I wouldn't be able to see the lovely glowing bottles either....  :(

Palo... please keep us posted on your experience with your isolation platform.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 02/14/15 at 07:36:14

Quote:
Raven if you can pick those tiles up with two fingers and ding them and they thud instead of ring, I will buy them from you.  Good ones that don't ring seem hard to find.

I have to remember where I stashed them. I'll give them the ring test when I find them!  :)

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/14/15 at 12:53:14

I started my search looking at the multiple options mentioned here on the forum and then pursuing my typical strategy of trying to get the same value for less than half the cost.  May sound like a pain to some but part of the fun for me.

Anyway I read opinions about sorbothane and cork, tried foam and blue tack and as you say stumbled upon this link and tried it initially with just the ball bearings on wood and the tube and got a good lift in definition and bass detail.

So the next day I stopped and got the drawer pulls and that cinched the deal.  Great detail, nice shimmer on the cymbals and best of all was the bass definition.  I listened to some music that was on my old old demo playlist and couldn't believe the bass I was getting.

The only one of the commonly cited benefits I wasn't getting was increase in soundstage size and depth.  I have a fairly treated room and had decent soundstage going already.

I think there are many ways to skin a cat.  I just liked the mechanics of this solution.  Kind of like when I first read about decware.  The whole concept sounded right.  

Anyway I tried it and it worked despite the fact that I am using a POC Ikea table as my "rack."  It motivated me to try a second platform and today I want to try floating some speakers.  

As soon as I can get to the hardwood store I am going to buy some birch ply for the platforms.  If I am still in love with this after some time has passed and some tweaking I will build a proper box for each.

I have been working on a post that talks about a suggested sequence of steps in building your system.  My journey has been somewhat random and I thought if I ordered it more efficiently it might save the next guy some time and money.  Anyway now I have to think about where isolation fits in the sequence.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/14/15 at 18:31:58

There may be infinite ways of dealing with vibration but there are only two factors in the engineering conception of a moving system:  springs and dampers (friction).  The vibration spectrum that we throw at our components covers a vast range.  If we don't want things to vibrate we need to either tune the system to avoid the spectrum or damp out the vibration after it starts.  Cork, sorbathane, green marble ... these are all damping solutions.  Isolation means not letting the vibrations get into the components in the first place.  If we could suspend our equipment in a vacuum, we'd have perfect isolation.  A nice concept but hardly practical.  

In another incarnation I was concerned with vibration isolation of payload equipment during the launch of the Space Shuttle.  That spectrum was broad like the audio spectrum we deal with.  My idea was to get outside (below) of the spectrum by tuning with springs.  No damping was required since the component, once tuned, is invisible to the inducing frequencies.  The same thing works with amplifiers and speakers.  It is easy to suspend a platform with springs and have a fundamental frequency of only a few hertz.  I wish I had some accelerometers to measure the difference in vibration of my stand and amp top but by my touch, it must be approaching total.

I too tried various pliable bases from carpet to packing foam and I found they all let most of the vibration pass through into the component.  Palomino's platforms likely work but I know there are equally effective, lower profile and much simpler solutions.  Once the concept is clear, it is fairly easy to come up with solutions (and equally easy to spot the frauds).

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/14/15 at 18:46:31

Thanks for keeping on it Archie. I will try your method one day. Just hard for me to get to the store....busyness, disabilities and whatnot.

Palomino. Is it that you are just beginning to notably hear vibration control due to "skepticism" causing you not to seriously try it. Or is it that it just couldn't be heard notably before. If it is the later, after all the work you have done, it could be worth a close look for one or more weak links in your system/room...If it was the LPSU for the Mini that really brought up your resolution enough to hear this subtler stuff...maybe it is all good now, but I don't have an LPSU and have always been able to clearly hear vibration control, the sound of different materials, shapes, placement etc. Jus makes me wonder if you have a secret resolution killer.

BTW, in the past there have been consistent comments with isocup users under Toriis, that where you put the balls under the amp makes a difference. Since your system has similarities to how isocups meet the amp, an equilateral triangle may not give you your best sound. Most found that the back feet were best near the back, outside corner of the outside transformers...and the front two (I got better sound with four and some like 5 or 6), usually between the front power tubes and inputs...closer to the power tubes. Then playing with pushing the front ones back can add warmth and texture. I like mine lately just in front of the rectifiers.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/14/15 at 19:00:23

Right on about the placement of the supports under the amp!  Although, I haven't gone that route.  Choosing to keep things simple, I left Steve's feet on the amps and just made sure that some of the springs were directly below them.  I figure that Steve voiced the amps with his feet so I wouldn't be going too far wrong by leaving them as the immediate support of the amps.

With Palomino's stands I would have tried four ball bearings, one under each of the places where Steve mounts his feet.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/14/15 at 19:44:34

Will, its a combination of things.  First, I was skeptical, especially given the price of most commercially available isolation solutions.  How much lift will you get for that much money?  Second, I didn't think I would be able to hear the benefits given where I was in the evolution of my system.  I could easily have been wrong on this one.  

I actually thought the next step for me was interconnects.  I got a little gun shy when I started looking at the prices of those suggested could get me the next step (Grovers are an exception).  So I started looking around more for DIY isolation solutions.  I had tried a couple already without getting much of a lift, but I hadn't really spent any money so I figured I was getting about what I'd put into it.

Then this solution came along, was cheap, and I read lots of good reviews on it.  So far its been fun and I am definitely getting some benefits.

I floated my speakers this morning and think I got more lift.  Listening to it now so I am still trying to figure out what all I am getting here.  Soundstage is good.  Bigger?  Not sure.  Bass is tighter and more defined, but maybe a little shy.  I'll keep listening.

I also changed to a marble tile under my amp.  I was getting concerned that the ball bearings would dig into the wood base.  I don't think this problem exists with the iso cups.  Anyway, the inventor suggested the tile so I'm giving it a try.

Finally, I cut a new piece of plywood which extends the full length of my "rack."  Dumb move because the amp is heavier and tilting it.  I'll have to cut this in half and float each half independently.  It's pretty cold outside so this is a nice way to pass a cold Saturday.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 02/14/15 at 23:32:30

I think that when the speakers are decoupled from the building's structure some sense of bass is lost but what is left might be a truer representation.  When I got my HR-1s and lost the boomy bass of my Monitor Audios I thought the HR-1s were bass shy.  They aren't now that my ears are re-tuned.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #18 - 02/15/15 at 04:49:47

I agree with Archie on the bass and decoupling.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 02/15/15 at 13:57:50

Yeah after listening to my "mega-bass" soundtrack and a few other songs that I use as a bass benchmark, its all there, just more focused and detailed.  This is the clearest I have heard Doin' it Right Raven.

I think I liked the direct contact of the bearings on the base of the Torii rather than the marble tile in between.  I just think over time, the bearings will dig into the wood, even though its pretty hard.  Maybe the final solution will be some combination of isocups and the floating platform.  That would allow me the ability to reposition the cups per Will's suggestion.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 02/15/15 at 14:51:53

Quote:
Archie wrote:

I think that when the speakers are decoupled from the building's structure some sense of bass is lost but what is left might be a truer representation.  When I got my HR-1s and lost the boomy bass of my Monitor Audios I thought the HR-1s were bass shy.  They aren't now that my ears are re-tuned.

I thought this was a very good explanation as to why Speaker Isolation my result in either a perceived Increase in Bass in some cases or perceived Decrease in Bass in other cases:

Quote:
Some people experience LESS bass volume when they add the SubDude. That would be because the shaking walls/ceiling/floor happened to be creating constructive interference at that person's particular seating location. In Ara's case, it is very likely that the shaking walls/ceiling/floor happened to be creating destructive interference at his seating location, so that is why the bass seemed to get louder with the SubDude in place!

Regardless of whether the shaking walls/ceiling/floor happen to create either constructive or destructive interference at your particular seat though, you can expect to hear "tighter" bass with a decoupling device in place. And that is because, regardless of your room acoustics or seating location, reducing additional distortion soundwaves will always result in fewer instances of either constructive or destructive interference. As I said earlier, that means some measure of improvement in the frequency response and you are also removing a major source of distortion, which is always a good thing

See comments section at the bottom of the review at this link. I thought the comments regarding listening rooms with concrete floors were interesting also:

http://www.htguys.com/news/2010/12/5/auralex-subdude-video-review.html

In my case on a typical wood suspension floor, placing Sub Dude II isolation platforms under my two down firing Mid Bass Modules reduced floor & wall vibration by about 50%. Placing Sub Dude HT isolation platforms under my two forward firing 15" Subs reduced floor & wall vibration another 40%. My floor & couch no longer vibrate at moderate and higher volumes but the bass is cleaner and more articulate which makes vocals and other details within the music much easier to hear.

I now have Sub Dude HT Isolation platforms under my Klipsch RF-7 mains. I think there is an improvement when playing at moderate and higher volumes. No where near as dramatic an improvement as with the Mid Bass Modules & Subs however. Point being, depending on your room & speakers you might not notice an improvement by isolating your main speakers.

I would think bottom vented speakers like Zu might benefit from Isolation. Stand mounted Monitors may also benefit by eliminating metal speaker stand ringing.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 02/17/15 at 14:58:21

I thought I'd update the thread after a weekend of listening.  

I was thinking things were getting a bit sterile with the combination of isolating both the amp/mini and the speakers.  I liked the definition in the bass for example, but wanted it fuller.  

Then I remembered I could tweak the Torii (duh).  I bumped up the bass a little and it filled out without getting boomy.  I switched the bias to the more laid back position.  I also switched to 6922 input tubes.  It seemed to help.  Biggest impact was upping the bass.  

I am now noticing some soundstage benefits.  Not width or height, but front to back placement of instruments.

What I can say about this bearing approach is its not one to monkey around with much.  The gear can slip off the bearings since they are so free to float.  So if you have kids/pets, its not a good solution for you.  Once you get it set up, its more stable than you might think but a decent bump and the gear can slip off the ball bearing.

If I stay with this approach I may seriously look into having my local welding/metal working guy make some 1/2" tall pucks out of aluminum which will have a smaller, more concave bowl so the bearing does not slip out.  If you go into this guy on a Saturday with cash, he will do whatever you ask.  The price on this may be too high and the commercial alternatives start to look better.

I got some ideas this past weekend for building decent rack, but here is where I am at the moment.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #22 - 02/17/15 at 15:14:40

Very nice Pal. I have my System configured on the floor on wood platforms. I do not like racks. I use some Herbie Halo stuff and a Townsend CD Seismic Sink for DAC(s).

I know I need to get that power supply for my Chord QuteHD...been dragging my feet. You offered to buy it...so it must make an improvement.

I love the NOS 6922 Sovtek's you can't get anymore...in my SE84CS input (I own a few of them knowing they would dry up like the NOS SV83's...so I own a few of these too...if you know what I mean)...of course, with my NOS SV83 Svetlana's. I have yet to try one of my awesome Telefunken's in my CS yet, but I will. The clarity and sweet nuance I'm getting out of this tube in the input of my CSP3 is piss your pants....no hyperbole.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 02/17/15 at 15:52:02

Those tonal controls and bias controls on the Torii are really useful, nigh indispensable, tools!

I love my audio racks (Mapleshade Samson). I know they're expensive but they have increased my pride in my system and really given me hours of admiring enjoyment, as well as good sonics and great protection for my gear. Keep thinking about a good rack. (Hmmm. . . not hard to get guys to do that).

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 02/17/15 at 22:23:10

There is another company (Steve Blinn Designs) that is getting into the IsoPed footers.  I think they are taking a direct aim at Stillpoints and possibly even VooDoo.

He also designs some pretty nice audio racks as well.  And his prices for the footers and racks are pretty good.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 02/17/15 at 22:35:25

Nice!  I am looking for a low profile rack.  I had a monitor for the mini on a stand on one side of the rack and could definitely hear reflections off it.  I have since moved it to the floor off to the side.

Last night, I could also hear some sound leaking out the entryway to my listening room (it does not have a door on it) so I blocked it with a table that extended a little higher than my ear height.  It worked pretty well.

It all matters now.  I am looking at any difference in room symmetry now to explain differences in what I hear.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 02/17/15 at 23:02:57

I believe all Blinn's designs are custom so you could potentially order a rack any way you want it.  I enjoy low and wide component shelfs as well.  Because I only have one place to listen and watch movies so I have a large 65" HDTV/Monitor to deal with and I like it to hang at eye level which only allows me about couple feet so I go horizontal intead of verticle with my components.

This is an older pic (of my Rega Kit which now resides in my bedroom), but my stand is the same ... it's not an audiophile rack by any means, I picked it up from Ikea actually, but I like the way the components are laid out this way.

Behind the doors I keep my Monster Power Conditioner, Spin Clean record cleaning machine and a few other odds and ends.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 02/23/15 at 14:45:15

Well, I have now isolated everything.  This past weekend I did my power supplies and Power Plant Premiere.  Total cost for amp, dac, mac mini, 2 LPSUs, hard drive, speakers and PPP was around $83.

This design is well-suited to bigger equipment that you can balance.  Smaller stuff can be a real pain.  Mostly because of the power cords.  The PPP was also tough because it has so much weight on the right rear corner.

Its hard for me to tell which piece of equipment gave the biggest lift because I did not ever alter my order of implementation.  I do feel I got cumulative lift going from amp - to speakers - to dac - to power supplies/PPP.  The smallest increase was with the power supplies/PPP.

Anyway, this is worth trying.  I am hooked on isolation now. What I try next depends, but for now, I like the sound I have.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #28 - 02/23/15 at 14:52:05

Great! So glad you tackled this and this methodology is a good start and I'm glad you have found sonic benefit.

On a contradictory note: I was surprised at how much my PPP and P5 responded to the Iso-Cups and Iso-Pods!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 02/23/15 at 15:19:10

Did you get more lift from the P5 isolation than doing the amp or speakers?  Again, hard for me to tell, but those seem to be where I got the most improvement.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 02/23/15 at 15:45:20

It's really hard to say which is "more" for me. Like the amp the P5 responds with subtle differences to where the feet are placed, and both are on PowerBases which give them the bulk of their isolation improvement. I would guess that the improvement was very similar in scope between the amp and P5 and the speaker improvement was different in nature (less about tonal balance than tonal balance and resolution) and perhaps not quite as extensive, but our speakers are quite different. Also, the P5 seems to let me "hear more" than the PPP did, but I did get improvement from isolation with the PPP, considerable, and could hear differences with different configurations and placement. Adding a PowerBase was the biggest change.

Anyway, I found that I got an improvement from the methods you're using when I went to maple platforms, Iso-Cups and Iso-Pods and then PowerBases as well, and "heard" even more when I upgraded cabling. But at a great expense. It's hard for me to put percentages on things, and was it worth the expense? To me, with less financial responsibility at the time troubling me? Yes. I seized the moment, because I couldn't do it now. If/when your moment comes, there's improvements to be had.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 02/23/15 at 15:52:00

Yes, for me it's one down, three to go on college tuition.  I'm only half way there on the next wave, and that begins in 5 years.

I think my next project is going to be diffusers and/or interconnects.  I won't be doing anything too expensive, but would to see what good copper and/or copper/silver sound like.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #32 - 02/23/15 at 23:42:02

Same here, 1 down, 3.5 college tuitions to go ... BTW, in a near field listening configuration, treating the room with rigid polyfoam pannels made a huge difference. These are strategically distributed, set as corner traps, first impact areas, front and back walls, etc. These were all DIY, simple and cheap. I need to cover some of them with non reflective cloth to improve the decor, but that's it ...

I wonder how much improvements some diffuser pannels alternating with my absorbing polyfoam pannels would yield, and how to order that from a non-informed local carpenter ...

The pair of DSR's that I got from Will on this forum, almost three years ago, have beaten anything I've tried so far, including some nice BAT IC's I kept from my early VTL times in the 90's. I guess cable technology has advanced at a fast pace also, not only its prices  :)

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #33 - 02/24/15 at 16:44:11

FB - hold off on diffusers for a bit. Palomino and I are going to be reviewing some new (sort of QRD) diffusers in the next month or so. They are in a great price range as they are made from EPS rigid foam.  They are in paint now and should be at my place in two weeks. More to follow as they arrive.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 02/24/15 at 17:14:51

How many did you get?

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #35 - 02/24/15 at 17:35:06

Sounds great, LR. I'll be pending.

Having only absorption panels may not be ideal, as sound may be too mitigated. And yet, it sounds great the way it is. But, judging from my recent experience, there may be some added benefits through diffusers that I may be missing.

I'm now convinced room treatment is paramount and not that hard to achieve (of course, at modest levels).

Thanks

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #36 - 02/24/15 at 17:48:29

Quote:
How many did you get?

Four pair of 2' X 4' panels. I *think* they might be matched up in male/female (positive/negative) pairs so they can stack and ship together. They weren't very clear about that part and there have been a few iterations of these as they worked with their manufacturer.

I figure four across the front wall, and two for each side.

Quote:
I'm now convinced room treatment is paramount and not that hard to achieve (of course, at modest levels).

I've said it before - I don't trust any reviewers that don't have at least some basic room treatment. And I don't count silly little pillows or magic electronic devices as room treatment.

I almost got into a row with someone on another forum. Kept bashing the DirectStream DAC and bragged about all this gear he has and provided a very impressive list of gear. Half his investment seemed to be on these little electronic devices that somehow enhance the sound. So I suggested all his gear is great and all, but what about room treatments, there is no magic ionic, electromagnetic stones that I'm aware of that can change the laws of physics and absorb and/or diffuse sound reflections. His response was something about how his super expensive speakers don't have those problems.

Really? Outside the laws of physics are they? I'm guessing that's a *no* on room treatment. Go ahead, spend more money on stones and wands and pillows from china then.

Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 02/24/15 at 18:01:26

LR, I'm not disputing anything you wrote.  I don't have the knowledge or experience to say either way.  However, I just reread Steve's paper on elementary room treatment and I find it more confusing than ever.  My room is so complex that I wouldn't know where to start.  Palomino has seen pictures of it.  Are there any simple guidelines?  It seems like without bass traps first the rest might not work?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 02/24/15 at 18:27:58

I'd go first reflection points with absorbers on stands that you could move when not in use.  

I went the bass trap route because I have a relatively small room and some bass boom issues.  You seem to have a pretty big room.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #39 - 02/24/15 at 20:20:59

Archie,

Understanding the *why* of room acoustics is easy. Correcting it is the hard part.

The why is all about the timing (yea yeah, I know I've preached this before). When you have direct sound, and reflected sound hitting your ears with high energy at the same time, it results in a smeared image, as well as frequency issues (comb filtering, nulls and peaks, boomyness, reverberation etc). So the goal of room treatment is to give your beautiful ear/brain machine a better chance of discerning the original sound from the reflected sound.

Here is the visual analogy I like to use. Think of Bruce Lee in the Room full of Mirrors. All those reflections - it's hard to tell the original from the reflections. Bruce Lee starts smashing the glass to find the bad guy.

So the trick is to deal with those reflections without deadening the room and making a plain black hole. We still want some reflections, but we want them controlled.

High frequency sounds are a small wavelength and can be absorbed with something as simple as a baby blanket, or diffused with varying ridges or deep texture on the walls. The lower you go in frequency, the bigger your sound treatment needs to be in order to affect those frequency. For example a 200hz wave is a little over 5' long/wide. So that would be tough to diffuse but it's possible to absorb some of it!

So we use a combination of absorption for lower frequencies, and diffusion for mid-to-upper frequencies to try and tame the room.

So how do you deploy this stuff in your room? That's where it gets tricky, and there's guys who go to school for many years to learn that part...but then theirs guys like me and Palomino that take some basic understanding of what's going on and use our ears = lots of trial and error. Eventually I'll get off my arse and learn how to measure my room (and understand the measurements!!) and better deploy the devices. But even then, it ultimately comes down to adjusting it by how you like it to sound.

For starters, absorbers are super easy to build. It's nothing but some semi-dense compressed insulation wrapped in cloth.

Doing a quick search, I found this on you tube - this is a lot like what Palo and I have been doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akiWq97dSBA

I could go on, but that's the basics of it.

Oh yeah, these guys at Acoustic Fields - they GET IT! They  make amazing diffusers that (if I were rich!) I'd get a bunch of if I could. Watch all their videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-dOSD1KoNU

Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 02/24/15 at 21:06:56

Pal, I know I said that I wasn't dedicated enough to worry about treatment but you got me interested.  Can you and LR give me a quick primer on how to find the reflection points to set up said absorbers and an easy/cheap construction and size?  I'm pretty sure I can build it.

As you said, I'd have to be able to pull them out and move them around since I bet they end up in the middle of the room.

I tried Steve's "clap test" (not that kind of clap!) and my room is likely on the lively side but fairly uniform.  I don't seem to hear bass nodes.

And down the rabbit hole we go!   Cheesy

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 02/24/15 at 21:25:27

The Acoustic Fields videos are good.

I also started with this site:  http://realtraps.com/art_basics.htm

This site shows how I built my first acoustic panels:  http://acousticsfreq.com/blog/?p=62

This video talks about first reflection points and the mirror trick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9u7k2V4YPw

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 02/25/15 at 01:19:55

Pal, I looked at the acoustic panel build sight and followed a link or two and I think my initial impression was correct.  My room is too complicated to do much with.  Maybe I'm giving up too easily but I hardly know where I'd start.  No one even talks about vaulted ceilings.  Maybe I'll wait until my daughter moves out and I can take over her room.  ;)

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 02/25/15 at 01:27:12

I think you guys are on the right path.  

It seems that all of the acoustic modeling is done on square/rectangular rooms with parallel walls.  If your room meets those requirements, great.  Get a free consultation from GIK or RealTraps and see what they would recommend.  If you have an irregular room it becomes more of a trial and error process.  They can offer you a starting point, but you will have to experiment.

I have said irregular room and the treatments that have made a big difference in my room are essentially what you would start with in most rooms.

In my room, the priority of RT's is as follows:

1) Bass traps in corners
2) Diffusion at first reflection points (side walls)
3) Absorption at first reflection points (side walls)
4) Bass traps with scatter plates in the rear of the room

I have yet to treat my ceiling.  The ceiling is 10 ft high and we have carpeting.  That may be my next experiment.  

Honestly, I have no idea how bad my room is, or what my system would be capable of in a dedicated/treated room (of perfect dimensions, if that actually exists).  I just know I have made noticeable improvements in my room with the treatments I mentioned above.  

Happy experimenting!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #44 - 02/25/15 at 06:14:40

That sounds like a great setup Dave!

Archie - vaulted ceilings are actually a big plus IMHO. Less parallel walls and more room (airspace) for the lower notes to stretch out.

Irregular rooms can be a benefit, you just need to work with them. I've got this stupid L shaped room which messes with my imaging, but it's got great bass and fewer nodes.

By the way, all rooms have nodes. 50Hz note has a wavelength of about 22'. So unless your room is a stadium or an open field, it probably has nodes.   Grin   The nodes in my place are fun since it's an L shaped room with openings to other rooms - so it's very difficult to predict where the nodes are going to be. I played a game where I put tape Xs on the floor, and asked friends to move from X to X while I played bass heavy music or movies. You could be in one spot and they thought I shut off the woofer it was so dead. But then you take one big step towards the back door and you feel like your chest is crushing in. I get such a kick out of stuff like that.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 02/25/15 at 14:14:42

I took another look at the pictures you sent via email.  I think I would pull those speakers out into the room and sit back and enjoy the music till your daughter's room becomes available.  You have great equipment but treating that room in any simple and/or meaningful way would be tough.  Its just too big.

Enjoy your view as well!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 02/25/15 at 16:26:21

Guys, thanks for the help and suggestions.  Pal, feel free to share those pics with LR.  Maybe he'd like the exercise of thinking through some solutions?

My room is nominally 17'x31' with the speakers on the middle of the long wall which for about half the dept is actually more like 65 feet wide.  The ceilings slope up to 30 feet and have two 20+ foot high sections.  Very open and lofted space.  I can pull my speakers out into the room on a temporary basis only since that puts them in the walkway.  I did put gliders under the isolation platforms to help with that.  Winter is a bit tougher since I have barrels of wood  flanking my wood stove that partly block the speakers!

I actually think my sound is pretty good.  But my imaging is trapped between the speakers and only a few feet deep.  The HR-1s help but only so much.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #47 - 02/25/15 at 17:24:03

Wow, so your room dimensions are prime numbers(!), and you have a vaulted ceiling? That all sounds like good stuff to me.  :)

I'd love to see those photos. LonelyRaven@hotmail.com

Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #48 - 02/25/15 at 17:54:11

To All:  I not only believe in acoustic treatments, but the little I've done with corner bass traps (front wall) and absorb panels at 1st relections has made a significant improvement. I am also purchasing the diffusion panels from PI audio Raven mentions earlier in the forum. I am currently getting a sound stage that is sometimes more than 90deg to my right and left and 3' to 4' wider than my speakers. Also, height of instrument placement can sometimes be 6' to 8' tall. My room  11'w x 16'l x 8'h.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 02/25/15 at 18:31:34

Similar here.  I am now trying to get more front to back placement of instruments.

I'm interested to see if those diffusers help in this regard.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #50 - 02/26/15 at 12:19:12

Can anyone tell me if it would be a good idea to alternate diffuser panels with absorption panels along all sides of the room? Presumably, the number of absorption panels would be higher than the number of diffusers given the corner traps and the need to absorb first impact areas. This would only leave diffuser areas in-between those and maybe in the back and front walls, alternating with the absorption panels, I guess?

I currently have all my room setup with absorption panels only, and I don't have any booming or sibilance or ear-piercing effects, and the sound is neat, clear and balanced, but I wonder if my room has lost some of the liveliness that bare wall areas may bring. This is where the diffusers, I think, in my particular case, would come in and create some synergies with the absorption areas.

Instead of bare areas (tradeoff with booming and sibilance), I plan to try diffusers to enliven the room even more and see if I like the end result.

Just thinking ...

Any thoughts/experiences?  Thanks!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 02/26/15 at 12:29:13

I run absorbers in front and both absorbers and diffusers on the side.  Small skyline diffusers in the back.

On the sides I have the absorbers at the first reflection points and these half pipe type diffusers at the secondary reflection points.  Right now I think this gives me the best soundstage.

I have also switched them but feel absorber first is best.  I should probably test this again.  I did put the half pipes in the back of the room but lost the wall of sound so I switched them back.

I just got the bid on precut wood for some qrd diffusers which I plan to try center front.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 02/26/15 at 12:43:59

I am currently using diffusion at the first reflection and absorption at the second reflection points on the side.  It has been a while since I tested this, but I will switch mine around this weekend and report back.

My absorption panels in the rear of the room have scatter plates (GIK) which offer some diffusion and I will sometimes place some cheap styrofoam diffusors in the windows to reduce slap back off the glass.

I think a mixture of both absorption and diffusion is probably best.  I do recall that diffusion needs some room to breath though.  Sitting too close to a diffusor may not be ideal.    

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 02/26/15 at 14:29:56

To kind of merge the two topics of this thread, I am hearing very good detail from the isolation I have done and have a better special sense of the soundstage.

As such, I am noticing anything that is not balanced in my room.  For example, across the front of the room I have three absorbers. (also bass traps in each corner).  Last night I got fixated on the fact that the sound was not balanced.  I adjusted speakers, seating position, etc.

Finally, I measured the exact placement of the three absorber panels and found they were off by quite a bit.  I realigned them to be equal distance from the side walls and found it to be better in terms of balancing the sound.

I also found that both the bass and treble controls have to be bang on equal on both sides of the MK III or it can tilt the sound to one side.

I have other issues such as I have a desk in the back of the room with a wing on the side but I've found that if I am seated equal to the front most part of the wing, most of the imbalance goes away.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #54 - 02/26/15 at 15:41:51

Sounds doable, yep. I was not aware, but it makes all the sense in the world that diffusers require breathing space to send out the convoluted waves spectrum and realize their job. So, the distance between the diffuser and its adjacent absorption panels ought to be zero-ed in, probably by trial-and-error.

Somehow, having the diffuser at the first impact does not sound intuitive to me ... But, is worth trying both ways. Also, the mixed pattern of both diffusion and absorption panels in the back and front walls needs to be determined.

Now I need to find some easy DIY materials/gadgets to come up with my first rudimentary diffusers, until you guys show me the way with the ones you've ordered.

Thanks for the pointers.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #55 - 02/26/15 at 16:21:33

Fireblade and all:  There are some good papers and pictures of Steve's room.  On Decware home page click on the tube icon "rooms".  Lot's of good tips & many questions answered.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #56 - 02/26/15 at 20:52:27

Thanks, Acetone. I'll check that out.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 02/26/15 at 22:10:09

Diffusion didn’t make sense to me at the first reflection points either, but that was what GIK recommended.   When I initially compared absorption vs. diffusion in my room, I preferred diffusion due to soundstage width (wider with diffusion).  That said, my system has gone through a number of changes since the initial test and I would like to revisit the experiment.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #58 - 02/27/15 at 12:16:56

I agree, Dave. I think we ought to try all possibilities before making a final judgement.

I keep surprising myself as how often what is intuitive is not necessarily what sounds the best, simply because we never envision all the relevant variables. It may well be that soundstage improves with diffusers on first impact. In fact, one of my doubts is whether my room has deadened too much, which may translate into smaller, less vivid soundstage.

I'll re-visit the placement of my absorption panels one more time myself (although currently the sound is great), to see if I may be overdoing the absorption approach.

Thanks for the heads up.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 03/02/15 at 20:36:20

I tried switching the absorber and the diffuser this weekend and felt I got a better (wider/more extended towards the listener) soundstage with my original configuration - absorber at the first reflection point and diffusion at the second.

I also just about finished a prototype of a proper diffuser this weekend.  Raven spec'd it out using QRDude.  I'm not sure I will get much out of just one, but its about 3ft by 2 ft.  I plan to try it on the wall in front between my speakers.  It will be elevated above my low profile equipment "rack" on a proper milk crate.  My final will be about 4' by 2" and I will make at least two.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #60 - 03/03/15 at 03:40:55

GIK says diffusers at first reflection points because they are proper broadband diffusers. The theory is that you want to break up and time delay the reflected sound *before* it reaches your ears. When you're using absorbers at the first reflection point, your just deadening that reflection point, mostly the high frequency where spacial queues are.

P.I Audio says absorbers at first reflection points and diffusers on either side. I plan on trying both ways to see what works for me.

Personally, I think you should just use what sounds (or measures) best to you in your room. If I had true broadband diffusers, I'd be going diffusion first probably, but I'd let my ears guide me. The truth is most of us don't have proper broadband absorbers or diffusers.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 03/03/15 at 14:21:45

I found this on a web site that presented plans for diffusers.  My diffusers are more of what he calls semicylinders.

Both types of diffusers are great but I consider reflection phase grating diffusers (like stepped diffusers and QRD diffusers) to be more precise tools than semicylinders. If you need to return diffuse sound directly to the listener from the first reflection points (without waiting for it to bounce around the room), reflection phase grating diffusers are the more appropriate choice.

However, if you simply want to scatter acoustic energy in your room to create a more diffuse reverberant sound field, you can get away with simpler geometries such as polycylinders

Also, my prototype diffuser is almost ready.  Still need to get all the well face strips positioned.  I made a couple of bad cuts and a few are just a hair too wide.

Back on the subject of isolation, I replaced two of my marble tiles with  lexan sheets because I could cut these to size easily and place my mini/DAC/power supplies on them.

I feel the sound is a little mellower but I could be fooling myself.  The lexan is certainly deader than the marble, so it's possible.  The key is to see if these develop dimples over time and stop the rolling of the ball bearings.

Its a much neater solution than the tiles which basically come in two sizes.  If these work, I will probably replace the tiles under my speakers.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #62 - 03/03/15 at 15:07:49

The Mad Scientist at work!

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 03/03/15 at 16:15:41

OK,  a question for you knowledgeable folks on this thread.  My listening room is small and cluttered with the only wall suitable for treatment being the one behind the speakers.  This wall also has a door to the right when sitting in the listening position. The room is 11 feet by 11 feet with an eight foot ceiling with the popcorn texture on it as was popular in the 80's and a carpeted concrete floor. So my question is what could I expect with diffusers on this wall and how many should be used?  If you've read any of my recent posts, you know I've been struggling with the treble in my main system...a bit more Bass volume would be welcomed.  Thanks,  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #64 - 03/03/15 at 16:44:55

What little I know of room acoustics and treatment, in a small room "reflection" is probably what is limiting the bass. So "absorption" may be the best . . . "diffusion" . . . someone with more experience will be able to help I know. I have never been, and probably never will be, able to fully address room treatment in my listening rooms because of either renting or my cohabitant's wishes.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #65 - 03/03/15 at 17:39:09

Being a small room, and *square* having an 11 X 11 footprint, you're going to have a LOT of bass problems. Play some bass heavy music, and walk around your room - I'm betting you'll have these bass heavy spots, and absolute bass suck points. In order to start correcting your issues, you need to get rid of some of that bass!

Sounds counter-intuitive, I know. But what's happening is those giant 20'+ bass waves are slamming into each other as they are trying to stretch out in your room. So one wave might bounce back and fourth between your walls multiple times before the full wave is even developed!

Think about it like this. You have a positive wave that hits a wall and bounces back and runs into itself. If it happens to bump into itself at another positive wave, you get a BIG muddy boom at that spot. If the positive wave happens to hit on a negative wave of itself, it cancels itself out and you have a suck spot - it's like being in the eye of a tornado everything is weirdly dead but theirs sound all around you.

So what you do is throw up big bass traps in the corners - the bass traps soak up a bunch of that excess bass so the bounce doesn't + or - itself. You still hear the main note, but the bounces are less damaging. There is almost no way to really deal with big bass in a small room. It's never going to be right - but you can do your best to lessen the damage.

It's not light reading - but do some googling on Superchunk bass traps. It's the colloquial name for the big corner traps of which I speak.

http://arqen.com/bass-traps-101/placement-guide/

If you put diffusion between the speakers on the front wall, you have a chance of deepening and sharpening your soundstage. But being in a smaller room, and square to boot, I think you're going to need several acoustic absorbers.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #66 - 03/03/15 at 17:41:50

Also - I know you don't have a lot of room to move around, but if you do the walk around finding the boomy and suck points you'll realize that if you move your speakers and listening chair around, you have a good chance of finding a more neutral zone to sit in and make your sweet spot.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 03/03/15 at 17:42:32

I agree with what Raven says, but if you are not getting enough bass in that small a room, your listening position could be in a null.  I would walk around the room to see if the bass is higher in some spots.

My situation was the opposite in that I had too much bass.  I moved up my listening position and reduced it considerably.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 03/03/15 at 18:49:01

Thanks for all the ideas.  I'll do some investigating and reading tonight.  Mark

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 03/03/15 at 18:49:45

My response and Raven's hit at the same time.  We are saying the same thing.

I got the best advice from the site Raven listed, then the Acoustic Fields youtube videos and the Realtraps site.

Here is the link to the Reatraps site:

http://realtraps.com/

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 03/03/15 at 20:07:21

I agree with the absorbtion on the wall. The door makes it tricky but you can attach something to it. Corner traps and having the speakers aimed at them is an idea. Also those panels I`ve seen where you have 2 or 3 hanging up on the wall evenly spaced must work. I have a hanging carpet 9x6 ft covering that wall with corner bass traps that are only 3 ft high. I think I`ve sorted most of the relection and it all sounds good. Ive read your posts about pronounced top treble Mark and a `bright` room is also to be considered as well as the bass boom.
You could kill two birds with one stone.

I wonder when Steve will be bring the `bounce mats` on stream.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 03/03/15 at 20:20:05

+1 on the bounce mats.

BTW, I found that home depot sells acoustic panels.  Price for two & free shiping $138

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-Acoustic-Sound-Absorbing-Wall-Panels-24...

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #72 - 03/03/15 at 20:52:10

For what is worth, my room is also small and almost square (not a good thing) and what made a big difference was installing absorption panels around the sides and on the corners.

I feel I may use some difussion now, to maybe enliven the sound a little bit, but in general, the main issue is reflection and it not only relegates to low frequency but also high frequencies, which tend to become buzzy as the bass becomes boomy.

My DIY cheap panels are placed on wooden stands and I can move them around to optimize placement. I could never be back to what I had before those absorption panels.

Thanks

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #73 - 03/03/15 at 21:21:18

Fireblade,  I agree.  I have 6 absorb panels 2' x 4' and 2 corner bass traps. This has significantly improved my room. I will be adding some diffusion on front and back walls in the next week. My set up: front wall - 2 panels and corner bass traps,  side walls - one panel on each wall at 1st reflection. back wall - 2 panels at 1st reflection point. I will put diffusors between speakers on the front wall. and above the panels on back wall to start..then tweak for best performance! I am also adding ceiling corner triagular traps in all 4 ceiling corners. Bass traps made the largest impact on getting good sound.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 03/03/15 at 23:08:43

I`ve been looking for a  `spring` idea for sometime since Archie posted about his islolation base and the spring vibration damping qualities. I`d just found a compression spring site and was going to buy 50 springs for around £30.00 and do something with superglue and  bases.
I found these today and bought his last two sets ( 8 pieces ). £32.00 inc post. Looking forward to them and if they work hope there will be more in stock.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Golden-7-Spring-Vibration-Isolation-Damper-Feet-4-Pcs-...

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 03/04/15 at 01:54:38

Syd, those things look interesting.  Let us know how they work out.  I found this review of isolation devices...haven't read it all yet but there is a tenderfeet and isocup review.  Mark.

http://singaporehifi.blogspot.com/2012/05/footer-shootout-good-bad-and-ugly.html...

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 03/04/15 at 08:30:01

Another spring worth mentioning is from Townshend Audio.  They have a new Seismic Isolation Pods.  I thought the design looked pretty cool and very well made.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 03/04/15 at 08:43:27

Wait, those suckers are expensive!  But hey let me throw these graphs up to make it look like I know what I'm talking about for their performance virtues ... Grin

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 03/04/15 at 20:00:15

Understanding those charts is above my pay grade...

I finished up my QRD13.  This was a prototype so if does not look great, but it does seem to help my center image.  I think I like it well enough to build a couple proper ones.

Here is my room layout today:

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #79 - 03/04/15 at 20:23:11

I'm in a small room too mark58. I read Robert Harley's Guide to High End Audio in 1994 and have not been without a treated Listening Room since. Do the basics top down ....yes top down. Upper corners for high freq. treble control. Ceiling also from Tweeter reflection points. Then, the obvious....side wall reflections, rear an bass. The all important front wall for sound stage is a must as I'm sure you read.

I prefer my small room with Decware with the Speakers I prefer.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 03/04/15 at 20:24:05

I think what those graphs are saying is that the frequency environment is vast and most "isolation" devices either don't isolate (spikes) or have limited isolation (sorbothane).  Isolation for a given material is everything to the right of its performance line.  The Seismic Load Cell looks like a spring with a Natural Frequency of 2.5 Hz -- hence the spike at that frequency.  As depicted, the spring filters best outside of it's Natural Frequency.  At the Natural Frequency it will enhance vibrations.  2.5 Hz is more of a translation than a vibrations for our purposes and is outside of the audio range.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 03/04/15 at 21:41:10

Damn Archie ... I think you nailed it!  I put them up there as a joke because I saw them as pure greek, but you sorted that $h!t out pretty good! Grin

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 03/04/15 at 21:48:45

I'll see if I can produce some graphs from my inner tubes Wink

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 03/04/15 at 22:02:47

@ Palomino - Can't wait for that Grin

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 03/04/15 at 22:48:28

I`m not the only one that can see a head wearing ear buds or muffs surely. The shaved eye brows are very funny.

Nice layout palomino. Thats organised. Having the listening chair into the room must add to some good prospects.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 03/04/15 at 23:01:35

Ha!  Never saw that before.  Kinda where's waldo'ish

My "listening chair" is now a lawn chair with a mesh seat.  One of those zero gravity chairs.  I did have a recliner in there but it blocked sound and limited the soundstage.

Its not overly comfortable, but I haven't done anything to really get a new chair.

I did like the chairs at tlarwa's house when Raven and I took our last audio road trip.  Leather and comfy with a nice footstool.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #86 - 03/05/15 at 02:31:04

Quote:
I did like the chairs at tlarwa's house when Raven and I took our last audio road trip.  Leather and comfy with a nice footstool.

Seriously, good music (Doors), comfy chairs, and good company...I almost fell asleep in that room several times just zoning out to the music. Those were hands down the most comfortable chairs I've ever sat in. I just wish I could "trim" the back down to shoulder height to give my ears some space. I totally hear treble spike off leather like that. That's why I subconsciously crane my neck forward when I listen on high-backed chairs. I noticed he had a blanket in there (probably for the wife), and I almost threw it over that headrest portion to damp it some.

I'm not joking when I say I'd find one of those chairs, send it out to a shop to have it chopped down and adjusted.  But I'm nutty like that.  :)

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 03/10/15 at 15:09:37

This thread is well off topic, but I wanted to finish it out.  

My "prototype" QRD13 diffuser in the rear of the room really opens up the soundstage (with just one panel!), so I am building two full size ones out of better wood.  Note: There was not comparison between front and back wall placement.  Back wall placement won easily.

I am just about done with the first one and the build went reasonably well - given that I did not route out slots for the fins in the top or bottom plate.  I just could not see myself ever getting this accurate enough.

What helps is I got my lumber precision cut at the local hardwoods store.  Well worth the $1 per cut.  I did cut the spacers for each well at home (33 spacers per diffuser) but did  a good job making sure they were accurate.  The other thing that helps in putting it together is lots of clamps.

I put the almost completed one in my room (on one side - secondary reflection point) and I am really happy with the results.  Everything has just more body and is more immersive.  I can't wait to get the next one done.

This is the king of soundstage upgrades in my short lived audiophile adventure.  Total cost of materials for 1 diffuser  $115.

Rear wall:

Clamps, clamps, clamps:

Near finished product (still needs the final side put on):

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #88 - 03/10/15 at 15:32:26

That last shot looks amazing.  :)

Did you wind up using 1/4" fins, or still 1/8"

If the fins get "floppy" in the middle, you can take some 1/8" material and cut slots in it like a comb, and press it over the fins, across the middle of the device.

Something like this -

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 03/10/15 at 15:45:58

The prototype was 1/8" and flopped too much, so I went with 1/4".  Also the hardwood guy said he could not guarantee the cuts on 1/8" for the well faces, so I just did everything but the sides and back in 1/4".

I am probably going to paint these black to match all my bass traps and absorber panels.  I did want to keep them natural, but I was just too sloppy with the glue.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #90 - 03/10/15 at 17:53:27

If you have an air compressor, I have a spray gun that will help out. Brushing these are a huge PITA.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 03/10/15 at 18:13:17

I'm totally going to spray them.  I may take you up on your gun offer.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #92 - 03/12/15 at 15:40:51

Any updates Palomino?

I looked at my diffuser that I started from scraps last night. I've got about 4 fins of 13 done on it, and got pissed because it wasn't perfect. LOL

I was expecting my shipment of diffusers from PI Audio today, but Fed Ex says they are delayed due to storms...they must go to a weird hub out east or something. So I might have them tomorrow instead.

I've got my table saw cleared off to build stands and maybe be ambitious enough to finish up my one QRD 13 from scraps.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 03/12/15 at 22:07:07

No, not much.  The two I have in place sound great.  On music with a big stage, the walls are no longer there.  I do need the third one though because the room is off kilter.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print