Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 13:52:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii MKIV Impedance Switches (Read 11091 times)
RW82
Verified Member

Torii MKIV Impedance Switches
02/03/15 at 07:57:39

More questions...

What do the impedance switches on the Torii MKIV do?  I get the general concept, and that one setting may sound better than the other.  In my system I prefer the 4 ohm setting (switch to the back) and notice that it produces about a 3dB increase in SPL when measured with pink noise and a dB meter.  

I don't know why though.  Most amplifiers will actually output more watts in the 8 ohm setting.  The 4 ohm setting usually steps down the rail voltage fed to the amplifier to prevent possible overheating.  

Can someone explain why the 4 ohm setting is louder in this amplifier, when that switch traditionally cuts the rail voltage in most amps?  Thanks!

MBP 24 bit Audio via Oppo 103, PS Audio PWD Mk II DAC, Z-Stage, Pass Labs 30.8, Decware DM 947 Speakers.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Torii MKIV Impedance Switches
Reply #1 - 02/03/15 at 13:31:33

I certainly could not. Achieving the sound I liked would be all I needed. It probably has to do with many variables such as the transformers, speaker crossovers, etc. I am sure somebody knows.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 02/03/15 at 13:38:12

Yes, like Jim I don't have the knowhow to explain that. I find that the position to the back of the amp seems to offer more "loudness" to me than the position with the switch back towards the front of the amp, but the frequency response is different too and I don't have a measuring tool to tell which is actually "louder." I prefer the switches pointing towards the front of the amp, it's a bit less forward, I'm not a fan of forward. But with some material the other position is an improvement. I enjoy having both options. But my speakers are 4 ohm so that makes sense.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #3 - 02/03/15 at 23:15:48

What is the mode frequency range impedance in your speakers? (by mode I mean the weighted average of frequencies you listen to).

It would seem as if that converging impedance average in your speakers is closer to 4 Ohms than 8 Ohms. The tap on back provides the potential to equiparate the SPL at a higher impedance average, but the amp would not apply it because the resistance load is not demanding it, and that setting creates some waste.

If your speakers are closer to 4 Ohms, the 4 Ohm tap configuration becomes more efficient in using the amp's nominal power.

Or not ...

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
RW82
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 02/11/15 at 05:56:08

Good question.  I am using 4 Klipsch Heresy's in two channels.   They are nominally 8 ohms, but since there are two on each channel, I would characterize them as a 4 ohm load.  

Thanks all for the responses!

MBP 24 bit Audio via Oppo 103, PS Audio PWD Mk II DAC, Z-Stage, Pass Labs 30.8, Decware DM 947 Speakers.
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/07/15 at 03:27:17

I always thought the higher impedence was toward the back on the Torii mk3. But now that mk4 manual says it is always toward the front I wonder about the mk3. The Torri mk3 manual does not say.  

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/08/15 at 00:17:58

The Torrii mk2 manual says higher impedence is toward the back so the mk3 is most likely the same.  The mk4 must be a departure from the previous norm.

IP Logged
RW82
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 11/09/15 at 03:43:11

Possibly.  

I ended up getting rid of the Heresy's in favor of Steve's DM 947s.  They're a much better speaker anyway.  I definitely prefer the 4 ohm setting with those.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 11/09/15 at 12:43:25

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 11/09/15 at 16:55:19

From the new (second volume) Columbia Albums Collection box set.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print