Speakers mute (Read 7783 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Speakers mute
02/01/15 at 01:52:09

Need some orientation: My new speakers just arrived and once properly hooked, no sound whatsoever, just a "thump!" when clicking PLAY or STOP, nothing in-between.

My speakers had a caps replacement before shipping so a common cause could be a wrong internal wiring procedure, repeated  in both speakers.

I'm at a loss, as I have rechecked all my connections several times and everything seems ok.

The chances of my DAC failing exactly in these speakers' debut is sort of unlikely, plus the amp failing on both dual mono channels, even more unlikely.

I guess I will have to unpack my older speakers (packed them tidily today to make room for the new ones) and test that out (I was hoping not having to do that for a while before making comparisons between the two).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: Speakers mute
Reply #1 - 02/01/15 at 14:13:44

If the one change is the speakers, well  you know you need to unpack the old ones. Let us know.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #2 - 02/01/15 at 15:32:47

Thanks hdrider,

Yep, I tried the DM945's again and these worked fine as usual, so I gave the new ones another try and voilį, I got sound from them for the first time! Still no clue what happened yesterday as everything was hooked and configured exactly the same way.

I'm just glad I can now enjoy my system again. I'll report on my impressions when these babies settle down.  Thanks!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #3 - 02/03/15 at 20:52:58

Ghost in the machine!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 02/03/15 at 21:36:07

All in all not a lot of time between formulating your goal, gathering information, making a decision and having new speakers in your system. Nice work. Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #5 - 02/03/15 at 22:58:04

Thanks, Lon. The jury is stll out, with just about 10 hrs of burn-in. The first 15-20 hrs stage follow the Pareto effect, with 80% of steady-state sound achievement. From there, up to 200 hrs of gradual improvement to reach full maturity, according to designer-builder Eric Alexander. We'll see.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print