Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:50:24 

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Decware Direct Stream Digital DAC / Recorder (Read 25196 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Decware Direct Stream Digital DAC / Recorder
01/25/15 at 21:56:13

Sweet machine Steve!  I look forward to receiving it.

Ordered.

Boy, am I glad I did not waste countless hours and money, on Computer Audio facilitating!   Cool

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Re: Decware Direct Stream Digital DAC / Recorder
Reply #1 - 01/25/15 at 22:41:56

Stone, I can't wait to hear your impressions. I've been wanting to start ripping my extensive Vinyl collection.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/26/15 at 01:22:20

Quote:
stone said,
Boy, am I glad I did not waste countless hours and money, on Computer Audio facilitating!  

I love the user interface of JRiver MC 20, the playback preferences, the tweaking, DSP and all the other features that are included.  There is a visual sense and feel to JRiver with album artwork, liner notes, playlists, etc., etc. that makes it more interesting to me and that I don't want to give up.

Also a computer will still be required to transfer music to the memory cards and USB sticks.  First you'll have to rip your CD's to a hard drive, then rip it back to USB/Memory sticks, or you could rip it directly to a USB/Memory stick, but then you are limited to space if you have terabytes worth of music like I do.  You should also use specific software to make sure you are ripping bit perfect lossless files such as FLAC or other lossless/uncompressed file formats ~ so it's not like it bypasses the use of a Mac or PC altogether ... it only bypasses the playback chain if memory cards are used instead of files being read through something like a PC/JRiver/DAC combo.

Other than that it looks like an interesting piece of equipment and coming from Decware I have little doubt that it will sound good.  Had this product had a USB or even SPDIF inputs, it would have been something that I would more likely consider ... just not my cup of tea if it's limited to memory cards and USB sticks, etc.

Edit: it looks as if I misread and it does have SPDIF inputs, so the possibility of using in a Windows interface is there as long as the drivers are available.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 01/26/15 at 01:28:11

I may be misinterpreting this, but it seems to have both coaxial and BNC inputs in single-ended and also has balanced AES/EBU digital inputs.

Digital Input      
S/PDIF, Cascade:
Connector: RCA Pin Jacks, unbalanced
Format: IEC60958-3 (S/PDIF)
Input Impedance: 75 Ω
Input Frequency with SRC Off: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 176.4, 192 kHz
Input Frequency with SRC On: 32 to 216 kHz
Allowable Frequency Deviation: +/-100 ppm (when SRC OFF)

AES/EBU:
Connector: XLR-3-31 (1:GND, 2:HOT, 3:COLD), balanced
Format: AES3-2003/IEC60958-4 (AES/EBU)
Input Impedance: 110 Ω
Input Frequency with SRC Off: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 176.4, 192 kHz
Input Frequency with SRC On: 32 to 216 kHz
Allowable Frequency Deviation: +/- 100 ppm (when SRC OFF)

SDIF-3:
Connector: 2x BNC, unbalanced
Format: SONY SDIF-3/DSD-raw
Input Impedance: 75 Ω, +/- 20%
Clock Synchronization Frequency: 44.1 kHz

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/26/15 at 01:34:49

Hmm, I see I was mistaken on the inputs ~ thanks Lon.  If there are Windows drivers for it there may be hope for people who like to use playback interfaces such as JRiver. At any rate the price is pretty darn good for state of the art DSD playback. Cool

IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Reply #5 - 01/26/15 at 02:27:01

Let the penny pinching begin!

NAD 516/316 - Klipsch speakers. Complete cable looks by belden, kimber, monoprice.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 01/26/15 at 06:11:35

I want it for its best attributes:  CD Redbook via BNC Input, Upsampling an Steve's Adjustable Output Stage. Playing with the rest of its capabilities comes much later.

I also have the best of both options, running it direct into my ZMA with the Adjustable Output Driving the ZMA with Authority and through my CSP3 to ZMA.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 01/26/15 at 16:28:56

I'm more interested in being able to dump studio master tapes to DSD128. I'm betting Steve's got some great rips that I'd like to hear! I'd want to play them back on the DirectStream and see if they sound like I remember them at Steve's shop.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 01/26/15 at 16:34:34

It will have big shoes to fill however. The fixed gate array sound of my Chord is truly exceptional. If it can match the Chord via direct to my ZMA and/or through my CSP3 to ZMA.....it will be a keeper.

Once it passes this litmus test....then I will explore recording some Vinyl and put some Flash Drive through it an SD cards too from Rips an Downloads.

I have no problem with the restocking fee an shipping round trip on my dime....if it does not work out.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 01/26/15 at 16:38:10

Good point LR! Getting those Rips from Steve would be awesome.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 01/26/15 at 16:52:21

Note: Steve addressed the issue of Voltage Output that the PS Audio DSD lacks when running direct into the ZMA. Kudos Steve..... .

Back in 1995, I purchased my Audio Alchemy Front End. The 3.0 DAC has adjustable voltage output (internal) that enabled me to drive my SE84CS (purchased in 2001) DIRECT. Furthermore, although not a direct input from DAC obviously, the CSP3 is adjustable for voltage output. I think you're all understanding the importance of adjustable voltage output.... . Once again, Kudos Steve. Plus, the addition with valid Upsampling for Redbook...I rest my case. It still needs to beat my Chord as stated in previous reply. Fun, to have in the Listening Room!

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew
Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60

Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC  vs. Decware DSD DAC / Recorder

Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922 / E88CC for input tube)
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier (NOS/Platinum/Matsushita / National PCC88 / 7DJ8 in A12 an B12 inputs)
Kimber Select KS3035 Speaker Cable
Vintage Polk SDA1 Speakers in Stereo (91db)
XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 & ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Front End an CSP3 Regenerated/116, 118 an 120v are used/Multiwave off...ZMA on HC Output)

Decware SE84CS (w/NOS Svetlana SV83's from 1980's-not the New Sensor knock-offs) & Decware Super Zen CKC...when SE Pentodes run in Triode/Decware Style...needs to be in the System!

Decware New SET Mono's pending..... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 01/26/15 at 17:53:51

Steve's cd players have had this adjustable voltage feature as well from the beginning, as had the original CSP2.

I confess I could never get my Decware CD player to sound a way I could live with no matter what the output voltage. Nor do I find the best sound with my CSP2, or my three CSP2+ preamps in the high end of the voltage output, but the lower end, so it seems that not all amps need this (the Torii Mk II and Mk III sure don't).

Just saying. I'm VERY happy with my DirectStream and have no need to try out this new Decware source but it does look promising for those on the hunt. Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #12 - 01/26/15 at 18:06:31

Good points Lon. For me, I have enjoyed the output voltage usage on my CSP3 so much; I have to try this direct approach. I like my Chord better than the PS Audio DSD. So, I returned the PS. The Decware DSD has big shoes to fill against my giant killer Chord Chordette QuteHD (Redbook vs Redbook) and my Cabling.  Will see....fun!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #13 - 01/26/15 at 18:19:43

Plus keep in mind Lon, your experience makes sense regarding the voltage output, because you're running a little more efficient than me, with your HR-1's at 92.5db. Me at 91, and we know to stay away from the awful ear fatigue of super high eff. Speaks.  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 01/26/15 at 19:01:54

Yes, I really haven't felt the need to have high-efficiency speakers. I am in love with the Decware speakers with omni-directional drivers, and they are not fatiguing.

The "high output thing" goes beyond just aiding lower powered amps. It also adds a sort of natural compression that I sometimes like but for the most part don't, I'd rather have the signal from the source less jacked up. I find it mostly depends on interconnects: the more transparent and clear the interconnect, the more I do NOT want high output applied to the signal from my source. We all have different tastes here as well though.

I bet you like the new Decware source--what I understand as the difference in taste we have it should fall right in your direction based on my experience with Decware sources. Will look forward to hearing your impressions, as always.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #15 - 01/26/15 at 20:43:44

Yes, this output design different from Steve's CD Player will be interesting to hear.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #16 - 01/26/15 at 22:34:00

Stone,  I have held off on going the computer - digital route because of lack of knowledge and not wanting to deal with: what computer? what software, what works with what? etc etc...this device might be the answer. I will keep an eye, and ear, out for your comments. Much of my CD and vinyl collection have been ripped to lossless WAV files on a terrabyte stand alone drive which, if I understand correctly, I'd be able to plug and play into this new decware offering....something I'd very much consider.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #17 - 01/27/15 at 19:36:17

You're ready to roll Acetone on a stick or SD card.

3-4 week lead time on the unit. I will receive mine after the 15th of Feb.

Toys! Got to have Toys!    Cheers, Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #18 - 01/28/15 at 18:38:48

Lon, I reread your posts in reply #11 an #14. To remedy any issues using the higher output voltage of my CSP3, I have my ZMA turned down 40 to 45% from full. This maintains the density an weight, soundstage, imaging, tone/timbre through the ZMA. It is an incredible Amp! All the detail is still there too! Enables me to drive the ZMA loud when I want as well without fatigue.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 01/28/15 at 19:17:22

Cool. Those preamps are awesome. I still prefer the DirectStream straight into the Torii, but that's likely because of the amazing quality of the VooDoo Cable Stradivarius interconnect. (Wish I had two more!)

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #20 - 01/28/15 at 19:43:42

I hear you about great Cabling. We are both on the same page. My Kimber Select 1030 IC's (2) with my Kimber Select 3035 Speaker Cable, allows me to maintain amazing musicality, running through this awesome CSP3 into my ZMA.

I do look forward to running my Decware DSD with Steve's floating transformer balanced type output design direct and also, with my CSP3.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 01/28/15 at 19:58:12

Glad you are looking forward to it. Me, I love what i have now and I know when to stop. In time I'll get more Stradivarius interconnects to replace the two VooDoo Cable Ultralinear cables I have in my system rom the Universal Player into the CSP2+ and out from there to the Torii. And later another to connect the ZP3 to the CSP2+. The Ultralinears are the best cabling I've ever heard . . . until the Stradivarius. I love my source and amp and speakers so much that I want to give them the best. The best cabling is the best move for me to make now as the next on my audio journey. These components will reward having the very best cabling thrown their way.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #22 - 01/29/15 at 16:44:48

Lon, you love what you have now and know when to stop? Heck, you have more Decware than me. (Joking with you).

All kidding aside, auditioning this DAC and the 6C33C Mono's if Steve makes um'......are going to do it for me (with intentions of owning them for a long time~restocking fee's are not fun-but it does keep the tire kicker's at bay).

Like you, I run more than one System. The Listening Room is of course my primary spot.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 01/29/15 at 17:28:35

I'm hoping I stop and even downsize. When I move in with my darling this July I can probably do away with the system I put together for her. I am so looking forward to having a nice big room for audio again!

The DirectStream has been sounding better and better and getting the PS Audio P5 Power Plant has really solidified my sound in a way i hadn't imagined. I think cabling improvement is the right path for me, until I have the time to get more serious with vinyl, then maybe a new turntable (the ZP3 is going nowhere!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #24 - 01/30/15 at 14:42:43

I am going to downsize too, a few things starting next month:  Four pair of Speakers, SS Mono-block Amps, two DACS, some Tubes (NOS SV83's), two Coax Digital Cables an probably my CKC and Zen Styx.
Read: make way for my Decware DSD/Steve's adjustable output stage an 6C33C Mono's.

I use my CSP3, ZMA an SE84CS all the time. The CKC has been sitting an should find a home elsewhere/good Karma to her an me, out there to someone else.

Yeah, you will get no argument from me about the PS Power Plants. My P3 I will not ever part with from my Listening Room.

I'm in a casual relationship with my Vinyl. My Pro-Ject Debut Carbon III, Pro-Ject Phono Box II and Record Cleaner resides in my He-Man HT Rig = fun.  I spin Vinyl on Friday early evenings, when my girlfriend comes home from work-it puts a smile on her face when she opens the door. We enjoy it together. I also just scored on some prestine Classic Rock her brother had stored away.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 01/30/15 at 19:15:44

Downsizing will be good.

The ZP3 keeps blowing me away. . . it is making me want to be more serious about vinyl, but I just don't have the time to dedicate to it. . . yet. Maybe later in the year. I think the ZP3 is not "sung" enough, that alone would turn a lot of heads to Decware if it were more widely heard.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #26 - 01/30/15 at 20:57:17

I do not doubt it Lon. 1 hour left on a 3 on eBay with 34 bids!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 01/30/15 at 21:17:47

34 bids. . . Popular item!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 01/30/15 at 22:55:14

That ZP3 went for $810, a 42% discount, but the "Reserve " was not met.  I wish I needed one...I'd make an offer.  This is brand new (Dec. 2014) with Bees Wax Caps...you likely won't see another this good for years.  This is what I have...sweet!!  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 02/04/15 at 22:29:01

Stone,

Thanks for digging in on this new DAC. I really look forward to your impressions. Steve's descriptions are compelling! A lot of the talk is about how easy the DAC is compared to computer audio, but I am more interested in the DAC with computer, so am looking forward to your sound with your transport.

And it is true, if you need to reinvent the wheel, computers can be a big deal. But I don’t think it is bad now that a lot of us have finally winnowed through maze and found the important necessities. A lot of it is like other components...good power, a quiet computer (including known settings for quiet operation), vibration management, quiet cables....then you can do a USB power source to DAC or SDIF converter, a RAM disk for decent player software..and a really good DAC. The right basic stuff sounds really good here and might take a few hours to set up.

Most of the effort is converting files, which direct play from Steve's DAC needs.

Considering that, like Beowulf, I enjoy the computer interface quite a lot, hundreds of error corrected albums with nice album graphics, easily adjustable (and seen) playlists, and potential for very good tonal adjustments.

For me, subtle EQ across the spectrum for final system/room adjustment and tastes is a big deal. Aligned with the player software, it is transparent and easy, applied directly on the music data before DAC, basically mastering the whole collection to system, room and tastes. This took experimenting and effort, but here it is actually beyond a serious component upgrade in sound refinement because it is working within the framework of the sound everything else has arrived at…pulling it all together with finesse, and then taking it further.

The Torii MKIV adjusts really well with the switches, knobs and with five tube sets, but little EQs across the spectrum take my sound to places the amp alone can't go. And the whole computer rig can cost less than good EQ boxes. So for me, the computer is not just a nice interface, it can be an articulate refinement tool.... a "finishing" tool.

I wonder how Steve's DAC would sound with it?????

When it gets this good, I can't imagine getting Redbook much better than my current setup with the Tranquility DAC, but so far I am impressed that things can always get better. To make Rebook like analog masters, blind-tests by smart folks with good ears created the Tranquility. In the face of Hi Rez popularity, they could not get better sound than that of a really well implemented NOS chip, knowing this would limit their market. But it worked, they made Rebook great when most didn’t think it possible. Just a few years ago, that seems ages in DAC time.

Then the Torii MKIV was an unexpected and crazy connection, pulling more of what was already extraordinary micro detail from the DAC. Like they are made for each other, the balance, tonal density, open spaciousness, smoothness, ultra-complex micro detail, and associated lucidity....every phrase grabs me. I think this is from a number of improvements on the Torii, but with the new reconstructive feedback…if the DAC has the fine detail, the MKIV can pull it.

So like you with your Chord, for the new DAC to win.....may be difficult.... But also like you, I hope it does! The output transformer is bound to be great, and voicing to match Steve's tape rig...well......that could blow our minds!

I have not been tempted by High Rez or a new DAC my Redbook is so satisfying. But when Steve comes up with something.....I get tempted.

Really glad yours is coming soon! Looking forward to what you hear! Cool

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #30 - 02/04/15 at 23:09:04

I have not been tempted by High-Rez either. My Redbook has been so satisfying as well. I have enjoyed up-sampling in the past and with Steve's output transformer's/voicing, this could be something special.

If this DAC falls short of my over-achieving Chord QuteHD gate array, it will still be a keeper for my Vinyl to DSD on many multiple cards. My 430 Albums are not duplicated in my 1150 CD collection.  Of course, I will put quite a few  hours of Music lossless WAV on a SD card too/to be rotated in/on an off/out....SD card. Or create a bunch of multiple cards here too.

Excited to receive it and put my 2 cents on here.  Cheers.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 02/05/15 at 17:12:19

Sounds good Stone.

Looking forward to hearing more.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #32 - 02/16/15 at 16:52:39

She ships today!  I should have it by Thursday night. All components in my System are burned in. The ZDSD will the one that needs hours on it.

Look forward to the adjustable output stage in conjunction with my ZMA's gain control. I will be driving the ZDSD/upsampled, direct to ZMA from Redbook/CD/Coax. I enjoy my CSP3 (Jup' capped), with input tube at 10 setting and the output tubes at 8 setting. My ZMA is turned down 50 to 55% from full. This is a testament to the resolution of the ZMA and the dynamics it's providing with 91db Speakers. Testament to the CSP3 too. So, driving the ZDSD direct and then adjusted to drive through my CSP3 will be fun.

I will put 100 hours on it direct to ZMA, before using through CSP3 to ZMA.

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew
Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC
Decware DSD DAC / Recorder
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922 / E88CC for input tube)
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier (NOS/Platinum/Matsushita / National PCC88 / 7DJ8 in A12 an B12 inputs)
Kimber Select KS3035 Speaker Cable
Vintage Polk SDA1 Speakers in Stereo (91db)
XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 & ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Front End an CSP3 Regenerated/116, 118 an 120v are used/Multiwave off...ZMA on HC Output)

Decware SE84CS (w/NOS Svetlana SV83's from 1980's-not the New Sensor knock-offs) & Decware Super Zen CKC...when SE Pentodes run in Triode/Decware Style...needs to be in the System!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #33 - 02/16/15 at 16:55:59

Exciting!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #34 - 02/17/15 at 14:39:17

Very excited I am.

This will be my 8th Decware Product:

SE84CS
Super Zen CKC
Zen Styx Speaker Cable with Silver Banana's
Zen Mystery Amplifier
CSP3 w/Jupiter Bee's Wax Caps
EL34 Mono-blocks with Solid State rectification
(I think you owned a pair of these Mono's too Lon-if my memory serves me correct?.....)
Torii MKIII
...I also bought a Oak base for my SE84CS...after I tried out one of Steve's tube buffers way back when... .

and now: Decware Direct Stream DAC / Recorder.

I can't wait to get her in here! I'm certainly not missing anything outside. But, I will take sub-zero lows/no snow fall and clear roads over the horrific winter my brother is having out east!  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #35 - 02/17/15 at 15:43:53

Yes, I had the same EL34 mono blocks, good amps but the Toriis slay them silly. But I had many a good hour with those.

Just a few more days and your ZDSD will be there! I am betting you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it!

I'm spending so little time with my main system these days (not by choice, just the logistics of my life as a caregiver and the fact that I want to spend whatever time I can with my fiancee) that it's almost like coming home to something new when I do!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #36 - 02/18/15 at 04:03:07

Here is the Quick Start Guide for the ZDSD that will be shipping with each unit.  The first unit that went out did not have one, so you can get it here!

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZDSDGUIDE.pdf

Can't wait to hear your impressions!  On my ZMA or TORII the ZDSD sounds great with the reference level set as high as it will go (-20dB).

Please keep us posted of your "holy shit" moments as they happen!

Happy listening,

Steve  :)

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #37 - 02/18/15 at 13:36:43

Thanks Steve, an thanks for the memory card with music from the Otari!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #38 - 02/19/15 at 14:27:42

http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/800/e_da-3000_om_vb.pdf

Steve, for playback via SPDIF input from CD Transport...using the sampling rate converter for D to A conversion (no A to D recording or D to D)....following page 22 & 23 should get me there? I suppose I'm being premature, not having the Player at hand to experiment with....but I'm curious.
Section 6/Playback does not cover this either.

I just want to burn her in running Redbook in Up-sampled, an Analog out.

Otherwise, Tascam did a good job it seems with this Manual. The Media Capacities and Recording Times chart (Page 31 in Manual) is nice, along with their PDF's.
http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/800/da-3000_tested%20media_list_r1_...

http://tascam.com/product/da-3000/downloads/

I should have her today for some evening Listening.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #39 - 02/19/15 at 18:27:10

Or, I'm misunderstanding the functionality here?

Maybe I can only record AD and DD at higher bit an sample rates, an cannot pseudo dither to 24/96 (for example) an incoming 16/44.1 SPDIF from transport to DA to Output........ .

you wrote:
"Up-sampling can be turned on or off from the front control panel, but once you hear the difference it makes when playing 16 bit files (or CD's), you certainly won't ever want to turn it off! If you have a CD player connected to this machine and have up-sampling turned on, your CD's will sound like super audio files (DSD) and this may be where this offering from Decware is cheered the most"!  

Do you mean CD's through the Analog inputs or the SPDIF? Maybe I'm over thinking this and need to use the Unit. However, I can't find a stitch of info about it in the Manual, Online, your Quick Start an this quote from the product info has me just assuming.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 02/19/15 at 22:58:14

Not knowing that much about it either, I would assume he means through the SPDIF connection which can be upsampled to as high as 96/24.  Which in most cases is the max SPDIF can do (whereas a USB connection is much higher).

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #41 - 02/19/15 at 23:19:06

Got it, thanks Beowulf. I am hoping this to (at least) be the case.

Well, wishful thinking my ZDSD was arriving today = not. Maybe tomorrow, or by Saturday. I won't be able to get to it till Monday night.

I made the mistake of using USPS. Monday was the holiday, so I got screwed there... . Tracking number stated: out for delivery today. I called the Post Office...it had not even arrived in St. Paul. Out for delivery today my ass!  Oh well, use UPS from Steve. I wish they did not offer USPS this time. I clicked it and you get what you pay for!  I forgot about the frigin' Pres day too. Peoria to St. Paul is just two days/always/pretty much. I will get over it eventually.  ;D

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #42 - 02/20/15 at 22:59:42

Okay, I will not need cheese with my whine  ;D !

The ZDSD has landed. Impeccably packed. She is in perfect condition an immensely beautiful an solid! Ice cold right now...so she is warming to room temp in the Listening Room per static display. Sweet Output posts on her Steve... . Furthermore, the SD card with the Otari Music contained within, came in a very nice Silver Case with the Decware upcoming 20th Anniversary Emblem on it. Very nice. The Case can hold 3 SD cards for transport/ hold.  Thanks DeVon an Steve.

Now the bad news. I have social obligations until Monday! I can't use her till then!  It will be like Edgar Allen Poe's, "Tell Tale Heart" weighing on me, until then! Okay, maybe not the best metaphor-( a little morbid) but you get what I mean.

I will follow-up with my first impressions then. I have a feeling Steve's recording through it might ruin me for anything else. But, I will have to handle it.  Till then.......... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #43 - 02/21/15 at 02:00:57

Well, it's safe and sound and thawing out! It will be hard not to be glued to it, but think how cool it will be to devote time to it on Monday!

Enjoy your weekend and keep us posted.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #44 - 02/21/15 at 17:46:27

I carved out 3 hours this morning to hook her up. I had to do it!

Steve, I don't know what to say. The soundstage is bigger deeper wider. The tone and detail an decay of notes are just incredible. Even the tone of Floor Tom's is more there. The overall ease of...an involvement is wow...I don't know what else to say right now? This your/Output Stage with your Trannies is just so musical. The weight an bass line(s) definition is blowing me away too. You sir, know how digital to analog through output should sound! Their must be some burn in on her too. I am honored to have #0001.

I have her at -16 so far I prefer. I can play it louder than I would ever need with no compression/clipping on the meters. At any level of volume it is stunning. I have not even tried your SD card yet. I have to shut her down now until Monday. However, I want to add: I've had PS Audio's PWT with PWD, an the PS Audio DSD DAC, NADS M50, I own the Chord QuteHD, Anadio D2 and Audio Alchemy for 22 years. So, not my first Rodeo. I have also heard mega buck DACS at the Audio Society of Minnesota. I have been in this Hobby for 35 years.

Once again, this is how Digital should be reproduced. Thank you. Monday I will get to play your SD an do some Recording too, later in the week I hope. Right now though, an absolute success at Redbook playback. Purchase for this alone with your Output Stage design is so synergistic driving my ZMA direct...it is just sick.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #45 - 02/21/15 at 17:57:05

Wow. Good news. Thanks, looking forward to hearing about Monday.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #46 - 02/23/15 at 15:59:58

Listening to Steve's Otari Reel to Reel to SD card DSD DSF 5.6 right now. How sweet and the ease of musicality. Depth an timbre with soundstage is so right! Very intuitive Player! ...told me to turn the In-monitoring off (even though I new that)...to play SD card.

Thanks Steve for solving issues I had with the PS Audio DSD DAC:

1) The Output volume from the PS driving direct into my ZMA was not adequate. The ZDSD has no issue with this with your adjustable Output Stage.

2) Your ZDSD has the resolution the PS DSD DAC does not have!
(See my post in: PS Audio about to....thread.)

3) Your ZDSD, with your Output Stage, matches the Analog ease without digital artifact (like the PS)....but with the resolution that needs to be there an is! My other DACS including my Chord QuteHD can't match this. With Redbook 16 bit / 44.1 through your Output Stage an your incredible DSF 5.6, I'm listening to right now/all the goods are delivered.

Come to Together right now over me!  ;)

Later in the week I hope to get to some DD recording and then some ADDA of my own.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #47 - 02/23/15 at 16:12:20

Holy Shit Steve!  Jimmy is reincarnated in my Room right now!
I'm in the Studio!

Voodooooooooooooo CHild!   ....from Steve's Otari to SD card.

"Jimmy: F me' I broke a string"!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #48 - 02/23/15 at 16:30:05

Cool. Glad you are enjoying this.

I don't believe Atkinson's comment about measurements of the DS says what you think it does.

I'm hoping that LR gets a chance to hear this, I'm very interested in his impressions in comparison to the DirectStream.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #49 - 02/23/15 at 16:44:46

Stone...sounds awesome! I do not have any computer based audio. Just CDP and TT thru ZP3 and Zen 2w.  DDSD seems the next best logical step.
Do you know if it is possible to hook up a stand alone drive with USB output the to Decware DDSD ?

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print