Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:08:28 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Decware Direct Stream Digital DAC / Recorder (Read 25185 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Decware Direct Stream Digital DAC / Recorder
Reply #150 - 03/20/15 at 20:29:23

I put the Adagio's back in again. I do have to say I'm keeping them. They are their own wonderful animal. I still occasionally rotate my Genesis Genre II's in as well. Thus, Adagio's an Polk SDA-1's (in stereo) it is! They both bring something different to the party that I like; brunette an a real red head respectively. The Genre II's are blonde.  8-).  ;)

Furthermore, the coherence an transmission line in the Adagio's, when you want to take them up to pounding levels of dynamic range-does make you say: "Oh yeah-I'm keeping them".  

Peace, everyone have a great weekend. Other than a little snow coming Monday morning.....I think Spring might be here in the Upper Midwest.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #151 - 03/20/15 at 21:20:09

Wow, my new interconnects (VooDoo Cable Stradivarius Cremona with Xhadow connectors) arrived and are installed. Bigger difference than I imagined. I have to wrap my brain around this, it's a big change and an improvement. Now how do I get the 1.5 or 2 meter pair I need to complete my main system!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #152 - 03/21/15 at 13:27:50

I wrapped my brain around the new Cremona cable rather quickly! Wow. Even quieter noise floor, even smoother yet detailed treble, tight and dynamic lower frequencies.

I need one more cable to complete my system, a longer one. I wrote to Bruce Davidson of VooDoo Cable to thank him for the deal on this one and to say that I am saving up for the one other cable I need, and he offered me another Cremona in the length I need at dealer cost. So I had to go for it. I'll have a few uncomfortable financial moments but I'll sell a few things and make it work. Exciting to have sound like this for all my sources! Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #153 - 03/21/15 at 14:23:11

Nice! It's great when the shops that make the gear help you get into that gear.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #154 - 03/21/15 at 14:44:42

Yes, and these cables are ridiculously expensive even with this sort of break! But, in my opinion after a lot of comparisons, worth it both for their R&R and build quality and material quality, AND what they have brought to my system. Wow. And I get to trickle down better cables to my next system (a few times).

Planning for my next location, I may end up with just ONE main system, and spend time with headphones again. So I may be selling one or two systems and buying a great headphone rig to use with one of my CSP2+. Exciting stuff ahead, but getting these Cremonas really solidifies my main system (unless you and iLance tell me that the ZDSD made the DS their bitch! I might have to give the ZDSD a try then!)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #155 - 03/22/15 at 21:27:52

I meant to type "R&D" above. . . not "R&R!" Wink

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #156 - 03/30/15 at 07:12:14

Hey Lon,

You might find this little story amusing - I have looked at the Mapleshade Double Helix Plus cables for a long time, read all the reviews about how they shouldn't work, but do, etc. Then I read what you have to say about them, and decided that the next used set that came up, I would check them out. So last week I got a pair off US Audio Mart, just in time for a listening session with a couple of guys who have been into hi-end audio a lot longer than I have. They weren't familiar with the cables, so as you might expect, they laughed at the "wimpy" little cables. Until I cranked my system up, then their eyes bugged out. Pretty amazing the detail and clarity that come out of them. Smoked my Transparent Audio Musicwave cables. But then one of the other guys got the last laugh - he had brought his HiDiamond 4 power cable with him. I put it on my TEAC UD-501 dac that Steve had recommended. YOWZA!! I had always been suspicious of audio reviewers who say that one cable (especially a power cable) changed the whole sound of their system, but I guess I was wrong. Now I'm digging in the cushions of my couch, trying to find an extra $1200 for a power cable. (And cursing my friend).

Randy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #157 - 03/30/15 at 11:58:28

Randy, very interesting! Isn't it surprising what cable can do? Glad you enjoyed the speaker cables. I really like mine, they're the best I've heard yet.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #158 - 04/01/15 at 15:19:04

40 days in on the ZDSD and still wowed by its shear musicality signaling through its Decware counterparts! Kimber 3033 back in System too.

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew
Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Decware DSD DAC / Recorder (@ -20 Ref Level @ 16/176.4)
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/CCa/7308 for input tube)
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier (NOS/Platinum/Matsushita / National PCC88 / 7DJ8 in A12 an B12 inputs)
Kimber Select KS3033 Speaker Cable
Vintage Polk SDA1 Speakers in Stereo (91db)
XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/118, 119 an 120v are used/Multiwave off...ZMA on HC Output)

Decware SE84CS (NOS Svetlana SV83's from 1980's-not the New Sensor knock-offs) ...when SE Pentodes run in Triode/Decware Style...needs to be in the System!

*****Decware ERRx Speaker's coming in 3 to 4 weeks!********

**Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modded/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-an resistors on Tweets/5 or 10k cross**....should have in a week-finished

*****Pending: UFO MOD to my Decware Super Zen CKC

*****Pending: 6C33C Decware Mono-blocks
(Note: ZMA not for sale = Masterpiece)
*****Pending: Steve's new Preamp to be released approx. in October

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #159 - 04/16/15 at 03:29:07

The ZDSD was delivered today. I put it into my living room system: Torii MK3 to ERRx and this thing sounds really really good. It crushes my Lynx Hilo DAC that I just sold. the DSD Steve provides is very good but right now I have it connected from computer server to USB device then to the ZDSD using an AES/EBU cord. Playing through Jriver and playing standard redbook files, it's just awesome sounding. I will get some break in hours on it before taking into my dedicated listening room (spare bedroom) and running it, and my DS DAC into the ZMA.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #160 - 04/16/15 at 11:15:55

Glad it got there iLance and that it sounds so good! Keep us posted.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #161 - 04/16/15 at 21:45:01

Good news ILance. Looking forward!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #162 - 04/17/15 at 20:47:07

Hi Stone and others,
given the high output of the ZenDAC, does having an additional pre-amp still improve the sound? Or is it just adding lots of additional complexity without much gain?

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #163 - 04/17/15 at 23:17:16

Stefan, I have not put a preamp into the chain yet but the ZDSD has an incredible amount of gain. Still running it straight into the Torii MK3 to ERRx speakers. If I had the stepped attenuator I it would be on 3 and with my last DAC it was at 10. So much more volume I had to back it down some on the amp. I Have the ZDSD on Ref level -18. I don't see  a need for a preamp although I will try it to see what flavor the CSP3 adds.

If you just don't have quite enough power with your amp to get the volume you desire, this ZDSD might put you there. I will have time this weekend to get more familiar with unit. So far I'm very happy, very warm, analog sounding. Everything Stone says is true.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #164 - 04/18/15 at 01:19:52

Thanks ILance!
Please share once you tired it with the CSP as well, would be interested in how that compares to directly going into the Torii.

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #165 - 04/18/15 at 21:05:55

For me, comparing both ways, I need/want my CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps. The added gain with weight is impressive. I lose no transparency either with my two pair of Kimber Select 1030, then running to my choice of Kimber 3033 or 3035. My newly modded Acoustic Zen Adagio's with Mundorf Mcap Supremes, are remarkable.

Might be more personal preference for me. I need more palpable timbre's/tones, that are not lost or compressed with higher volume increases (density as Steve would put it/the ZDSD in conjuction with the CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps). That is what the CSP3 brings to my System, between ZDSD and my ZMA. Soundstage depth is increased too.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #166 - 04/19/15 at 15:12:51

Another interesting thing too (adding to above reply),  flexibility of adjustment is had with the -20 to -18 on the ZDSD Ref Volume. Not used often but available. I also adjust the input volume for some recordings to -.5 to a -3.0, on the ZDSD. Most of all though, having the Voltage Output flexibility of 7 or 8 (out of 10) on the Output Tubes of my CSP3 is key. I stay at 8 consistently driving the ZMA set at 85% Volume up and CSP3 Volume, as my Master Volume control from 0 to 30%, that will Envelope you and Rock your World. My arm an a leg Input Tube (Telefunken), in the CSP3 is worth every penny too.

Best of all, I have two pair of modified Speakers to alternate with in my Listening Room System. The Adagio's are now awesome. I have the ERRx coming and they will run with Mundorf Mcap Supremes too. The ERRx gives me a 3rd pair, in a 4 to 6 week rotation/each. Each pair gives a different perspective on the Music. Each pair is now modified/optimized, to play well with my Decware. Obviously, I have yet to optimize the ERRx. I know I will like the Mcap Supremes and might put Silver/Oils in them. Also, placement/moving the ERRx around the Listening Room will be Interesting.

Different Speakers gives me more insight on getting the most out of my Decware and Cables.

Listening Room:
Sony as Transport ****(DVP-NS57P)****
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC for input tube)
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier (NOS/Platinum/Matsushita / National PCC88 / 7DJ8 in A12 an B12 inputs)
Kimber Select KS3035 Speaker Cable (alternated in)
Acoustic Zen Adagio (Modified)
~or~
Vintage Polk SDA1 Speakers in Stereo (91db) (Modified)
~or~
Decware ERRx (coming soon!)
(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/118, 119 an 120v are used/Multiwave off...ZMA on HC Output)

Decware SE84CS (NOS Svetlana SV83's from 1980's-not the New Sensor knock-offs) ...when SE Pentodes run in Triode/Decware Style...needs to be in the System!

*****Decware ERRx Speaker's coming in 2 to 3 weeks!

*****Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modded/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-on Tweets/4.5 cross
(Gutted: 3rd order Linkwitz R's....with all crappy parts = gone).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #167 - 05/04/15 at 00:31:23

It's slow going playing with the ZDSD because I've been working seven days a week, got to get it while the gittin's good. I moved the ZDSD into my listening room. Surprisingly good next to the PS audio DS. I have the DS and ZDSD both going into the CSP3 so I can just flip from A to B. I am playing from SD cards and on the DS I'm playing the same file from the network with bridge via USB. These are just early impressions but with the ZDSD playing double DSD, well it's closer than I thought. I think the DS with PP firmware is more detailed but doesn't have the weight, body of the ZDSD. I tried playing 16/44.1 PCM and from a USB stick but heard some distortion but I don't hear it playing directly from my server so still futzing with it.

I ripped an LP onto a SD card using double DSD and wow. Mind blowing good and easy to do. With Steve's mod this thing really does sound analog. No digital edge/ fatigue at all. I'm playing Jean Luc Ponty from an SD card it sounds just like the vinyl LP I recorded it from. Not to mention Steve's SD card is awesome.

This isn't an either or decision for me, I'm keeping both. The ZDSD will reside in my lift with the Tori MK3 and my ERRx speakers. Rest assured Stone the this unit sounds great with the ERRx speakers.

Im a big fan of the DS DAC and now the ZDSD. If my funds were more limited I could easily live with the ZDSD, an incredible bargain. I'm thinking if Steve's custom Analog output stage was in the DS my head might explode.

Dedicated Listening Room 13.5 x 13.5 x 9
Decware Zen Mystery Amp
Decware CSP 3 Preamp
PS Audio - Power Plant P 5
JansZen zA2.1 electrostat hybrid speakers

Morrow MA 6 RCA interconnects
Synergistic Research Element Tungsten Speaker Cable
Triode Wire Labs #7 PC (P5)
Lessloss Signature Power cable (ZMA)
Sablon Audio Petit Corona Power Cable (CSP3)

DIY Corner Bass Traps
Decware P1324K Diffusers
Assorted Mapleshade tweaks

image_031.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #168 - 05/04/15 at 00:37:41

Thanks for weighing in, I was waiting for your impressions. Sounds like the ZDSD is a winner. I'm in love with my PWT / DS (and the PWT has an amazing synergy with the DS via HDMI) AND my Rega/ZP3 sources and I'm soon only going to have a main system and a headphone system and have an excess of gear, which is perhaps an enviable situation but . . . .

Glad the ZDSD is getting such good results!

Just a note about Pike's Peak: at first I would agree with you. But then I did an interconnect upgrade and ran the DS through the CSP2+ and have to say the weight and heft are just right. . .surprised me how much these two factors added for me.

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #169 - 05/04/15 at 01:51:17

Lon, I was at first using balanced interconnects from the DS to the ZMA, sounded good but a little thin. Eventually I tried the CSP3 in the mix and yes it did help give more weight to the DS. The ZDSD however has the weight already without the preamp. Don't get me wrong I still love my DS and am imagining what it will sound like with Steve's new preamp and back to balanced cables.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #170 - 05/04/15 at 03:04:48

I'm with you Ilance. I can't wait for Steve's new Pre and you would not miss the PS Audio DSD. I would still own one if I did miss it. I'm getting Steve's new Mono"s too. The ZDSD IS JUST THAT GOOD. Herron Audio's Pre is making a visit too.....to my Listening Room. Long live the ZMA on the High Current Output ONLY, on my PS......all it needs.   Cool

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #171 - 05/04/15 at 03:09:17

Cool. My experience with other of Steve's sources are that sometimes there's too much weight and too much drive for the rest of my system. Diffferent tastes, different synergy. . . DS works just fine for me, glad there are other options.

I liked the DS straight into the amp with 1.21, and through the CSP2+ I prefer Pike's Peak. . . it took some getting used to Pike's Peak but I have learned to love it.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #172 - 05/04/15 at 17:18:37

I've read some good things about Pike's Peak. It is a good Player no matter how you slice it. I'm going to stick with all Decware.....so no Herron.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #173 - 05/05/15 at 16:01:54

Now, with 10 weeks of Seasoning on my ZDSD... . I'm using the Reference Level Volume Output from -20db, to -18 an -16 to great affect. Allowing me to turn my CSP3 up, up, an up/when desired to go there'- while maintaining tonal balance and a deep soundstage. Detail with no hype, Tone an Timbre are just exquisite.

The marriage of this Unit with your Output Transformer Design....plus the Recording capability.... + Up-sampling through an through.....trumps everything I've had in here the last 3 years.

The capabilities of ZDSD with Input Volume control as well.....Kudos Steve....Kudos.....for another hour.....before I'm off to the Dentist.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #174 - 05/05/15 at 17:50:07

Wow, it's been 10 weeks already?

Awesome follow up!

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #175 - 05/06/15 at 16:08:48

Yes LR, and almost 4 weeks on my Mundorf Mcap Supremes in my Adagio's. Serendipity was had here for me. Completely freed-wonderful Speakers now!

I should have my head examined for thinking about changing anything in my System.

I want the new Mono's up against the ZMA. It should be a great different perspective to some degree. Please share your thoughts if you get a chance to hear them at Decware.

Well, I would not be changing anything.....just rotating in the Mono 6C33C's.  The ZMA goes nowhere....I think you would agree.

Listening Room:
Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC .....for Input Tube)
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier (NOS/Platinum/Matsushita/National PCC88/7DJ8.....in A12 an B12 Input Tube positions)

***Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)

Pending: Decware SE TRIODE 6C33C Mono-blocks

***Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-on Tweets/4.5 cross
(Gutted: 3rd order Linkwitz/Riley's....with all crappy parts = gone).

[Mr. Lee's custom - w/less distortion under-hung neodymium shielded woofer's designed to his specifications in Germany & his in-house designed and made tweeter's.....Floor Spiked/78lb's each and at 48 inches tall.....can cause a Quake in the Room through these Transmission Lines when desired. Bass: deep - tight & musical at any Volume level with tonal balance].

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #176 - 05/06/15 at 16:21:06

1. Curious if anyone knows what DAC chips are used, or if it uses FPGA , etc. in the ZDSD?

2. Another thing I'm not quite grasping is it has balanced outputs, but uses Silver RCA jacks?

If that's the case will this mean that you will have to use special cables (one end RCA the Other XLR) or adaptors if you were to pair this with the new Decware Balanced Preamp? Huh

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #177 - 05/06/15 at 16:27:39

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #178 - 05/06/15 at 16:37:39

Quote:
I want the new Mono's up against the ZMA. It should be a great different perspective to some degree. Please share your thoughts if you get a chance to hear them at Decware.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing...if the new monos can bring the Zen transparency, but a little more grunt and consistency like the ZMA, then I'd really have to figure out how to get a pair in my listening setup. I wouldn't give up the ZMA anytime soon though. It would have to take some serious amp to make me even consider that.  Like Decware OTL or to that level.

Quote:
1. Curious if anyone knows what DAC chips are used, or if it uses FPGA , etc. in the ZDSD?

2. Another thing I'm not quite grasping is it has balanced outputs, but uses Silver RCA jacks?

If that's the case will this mean that you will have to use special cables (one end RCA the Other XLR) or adaptors if you were to pair this with the new Decware Balanced Preamp? Huh

Dude, this is a studio Recorder/DAC; it's a workhorse that happens to sound above and beyond it's paygrade. It just uses a Burr Brown 1795 DA chip.

As far as I know, Steve doesn't mess with the XLR outputs, they are just stock units. Steve creates the unbalanced outputs. If you needed balanced outs, you use the balanced outs the Recorder comes with.

I think you're overthinking things a little bit.    ;)

http://tascam.com/product/da-3000/

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #179 - 05/06/15 at 17:11:48

Got it, thanks guys ... the part that was confusing me was in the copy ad Steve said the following:

These Silver Jacks are the output of a fully differential balanced circuit driving a fully floating pair of high gain, wide bandwidth transformers. The result is between two and five times the standard 2 volt output of the stock RCA jacks. The amount of output is adjustable from the front control panel.

When I think of balanced I guess my thoughts automatically think XLR connections. Wink

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #180 - 05/06/15 at 17:26:18

Yeah, basically he is trying to give you what the balanced (XLR) can do. However, I think Steve took it a step further.... . His RCA Output Tranny Stage is Analog sounding...through the Wazooooo! Thus, maximizing what the DA Chip has to offer = big time my friends.

I listed both MALE an FEMALE XLR Adaptor's because, this is what I will do to run out of Steve's Output Analog Tranny Stage=to hell with the XLR Outputs of the ZDSD, not when his stage is this good! Then, into the new Pre. Then I need the XLR Adaptors to get into my ZMA. Plus, I would not abandon my RCA/WBT Kimber Unbalanced IC's. Once again, with Steve's Output Stage.....this is the way to do it very well. Anything less than Kimber Select would not do it for me and I don't want to sell (or have Terminated to XLR) my Unbalanced to get XLR Selects....not necessary as detailed above. Of course, it needs to be Cardas quality XLR Adaptor's for me.

Yes LR, I might have to sell my Paine Boston Mass. Antique Table & Rocking Chair to get both the new Pre and the 6C33C Mono's.....but I gotta do what I gotta do  ;) Cheesy Grin.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #181 - 05/06/15 at 18:03:56

Furthermore, I will add:

PS Audio PWT & PWD = 6k (the two together)
PS Audio DSD DAC = 6k (you can get it for $4500)
NAD M51 DAC = 2k
Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC = $1395 (you can get it for $1195 new now or look for used)

......all were in my Listening Room. All are gone, except the Decware ZDSD remains. Before anyone gets their underwear in a bunch.....the above DACS are very good (Duh, right).....I think the ZDSD beats them all however and I would still own the above if it didn't.  One mans opinion.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #182 - 05/06/15 at 18:05:22

Quote:
Got it, thanks guys ... the part that was confusing me was in the copy ad Steve said the following:

These Silver Jacks are the output of a fully differential balanced circuit driving a fully floating pair of high gain, wide bandwidth transformers. The result is between two and five times the standard 2 volt output of the stock RCA jacks. The amount of output is adjustable from the front control panel.

When I think of balanced I guess my thoughts automatically think XLR connections. Wink

From what I'm reading there - Steve basically built a ZBIT inside the DAC. So he's taking the output from the XLR, running it through those fantastic little balanced transformers, then out to the RCA outputs. I don't know if he's got anything else in the circuit to tweak the sound or output, but it sounds like it's a ZBIT built in to me.

Looking forward, I'm also assuming the future preamp is going to have that ZBIT style transformer built in as well. (I'd check with Steve first, but...) if that's the case, and you're for sure going to get the preamp - then maybe it would make better sense to buy a stock Tascam, and then let the preamp do the Balanced to Unbalanced conversion. But if you need that conversion now, get the Decware DSD DAC.

Balanced XLR cable is less sensitive to noise - so it's best to keep your signal in that balanced state as long as possible.

Again, check with Steve on all this. The preamp might be all you need though.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #183 - 05/06/15 at 19:11:33

Thanks guys for the further clarification.  I guess by the ZDSD output stage being RCA jacks, it negates the need for that balanced feature to be on an amplifer (if you were to use the ZDSD as a preamp/source combo) and if you were to use the ZDSD with the new Zen Preamp then you would need adaptors or a cable with RCAs on one end and XLR's on another ~ that is if you wanted to use the ZDSD's awesome output transformer, otherwise you would have to use the stock XLRs on the ZDSD which in that case you would be better off getting the non-modded Tascam.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #184 - 05/06/15 at 21:50:56

Lon wrote on 03/21/15 at 13:27:50:
I wrapped my brain around the new Cremona cable rather quickly! Wow. Even quieter noise floor, even smoother yet detailed treble, tight and dynamic lower frequencies.

I need one more cable to complete my system, a longer one. I wrote to Bruce Davidson of VooDoo Cable to thank him for the deal on this one and to say that I am saving up for the one other cable I need, and he offered me another Cremona in the length I need at dealer cost. So I had to go for it. I'll have a few uncomfortable financial moments but I'll sell a few things and make it work. Exciting to have sound like this for all my sources! Smiley

I just am still having a bit of a shock wrapping my brain around the improvements these cables have brought to my system. I thought the other versions by the same manufacturer were excellent and they are but these. . . it's like they just get out of the way at any frequency and let everything flow. I've never just spun music and not thought about hardware the way that I have the last few weeks. I now feel I have comparable excellence with sources, preamps, amps, speakers, cabling. . . .And I'm enjoying things as I haven't before. Too bad I have to move in a few months and start set up all over again!

Anyway, I'm feeling the bite of the finances drained for these cables, but glad I bit the bullet.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #185 - 05/06/15 at 23:28:46

Great news Lon, best of luck on the move.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #186 - 05/07/15 at 00:06:47

Thanks JD. It's going to be a tremendous effort to move and a draining experience in many ways, and I'm moving my Dad just before I move. Sigh. I'm stocking up on Wheaties.

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #187 - 05/07/15 at 00:15:07

Lon, you seem to like the Stradivarius Cremona Cable. I wonder what the XLR version would sound like? I'm already saving for the new preamp and will need another set of XLR cables.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #188 - 05/07/15 at 00:30:27

I would be very surprised if they didn't sound excellent. I haven't explored XLR cables for many years. . . if I were in the market I'd try the Cremona Edition if I could afford it.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #189 - 06/26/15 at 19:21:11

Oh, the Schiit Yggdrasil is going to have its work cut out for it?!

I have my ZDSD @ 16/176.4, playing Ramsey Lewis right now from Transport via Illuminati D-60 of course.....oh so good. Steve has his output stage so well voiced....it is just sick, it is so good!

Of course, the Schiit Yggy, will need 200 hours on her before any judgement is cast (160 minimum is recommended).

I'm working on having a PS Audio DSD DAC in with the latest 1.21 and Pikes Peak. Although I had over 180 hours on my PS before I returned it-I did not have the latest Ted/tweeks on the Firmware input (PCM). .....How could I pass up comparing these three DACS all seasoned in later this Fall?!

Listening Room:
Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder (@ -20 Ref Level @ 16/176.4)

Yggy coming! (Schiit Yggdrasil)

Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC .....for Input Tube)

Decware Torii Junior coming!

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier (NOS/Platinum/Matsushita/National PCC88/7DJ8.....in A12 an B12 Input Tube positions)
***NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 pending in my A12 an B12 positions***
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/ediswan-cv2492-6922/

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3rd order Linkwitz/Riley's....with all crappy parts = gone)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #190 - 07/13/15 at 19:35:40

I've been playing around with the Input Volume feature on the ZDSD for quite some time now. I can't say enough about it! I now leave it at +3.5db. IT CREATES DETAIL DENSITY TO THE DETAIL THAT IS ALREADY THERE. Of course while, not messing with soundstage depth, tone & timbre, imaging or Tonal Balance. Completely optimizes my Transport. A great tool.....found in no other.

ZMA turned up fully to its useable Volume
-20db Output Volume @ 16/176.4 ZDSD
+3.5 Input Volume ZDSD
+ 10 out of 10, for Input Tube half's of Telefunken of CSP3
+ 8 out of 10, for Output Tubes 6N1P-EV's of CSP3
(the +8 creates a pretty quick sensitive gain for the CSP3 driving into the ZMA = Heaven spot on)!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #191 - 07/13/15 at 20:03:46

I take that back: "I now leave it at +3.5". No I don't. When I want to play louder....I turn the Input Volume back to 0.0db which maximizes the CSP3 providing dynamics to the ZMA's dynamic capability. Allowing more usable Volume up from the CSP3.

However, for a third of my Listening at lower volumes (SPL), I've discovered using the Input Volume from +2.5 to +3.5, is a nice tool as described above. All other parameter's above kept equal/listed above.

I love this DAC!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #192 - 07/28/15 at 19:57:14

Anyone do any ADDA of their Vinyl? I'm saving this project for a -17F night in the not so distant future.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #193 - 07/28/15 at 23:11:21

Stone, I too have planned on winter vinyl ripping. I did make a test double DSD recording of one of my favorite LP's (Stanley Clark "if this bass could talk") I need to increase volume level next time and getting the tracks to record separately is difficult for me but I'm not the most technically savy. Overall recording is easy and the sound....... Well... It sounds just like the vinyl or really close.

I sold some gear so I'm waiting for a ZP3 to be built then I'll be able to listen to vinyl again. I have quite a vinyl collection from the last 40 years so I can't give it up but I'm loving the digital lately.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #194 - 07/29/15 at 14:21:05

Ilance, great tunes. I have "if this bass could talk" on CD.

I've only dabbled in Redbook to Redbook. Doing some DSD is next and of course from Vinyl too. Fun great machine!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #195 - 07/29/15 at 15:09:34

I will add, I'm very excited to get my Auralic Vega soon. However, I'm just as excited about keeping this great DAC with Steve's Output Stage.
Recording with it is the icing on the cake.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #196 - 08/18/15 at 22:38:12

I had the opportunity this afternoon (to pit my Vega against my ZDSD/PCM).......man, I so appreciate the ZenMaster-Steve.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
JeffS
Verified Member

Reply #197 - 08/27/15 at 21:57:20

I think it is time to pull the trigger and order my ZDSD.  I currently stream with a Logitech Transporter, it's analog outs going to my preamp.  It also has a full assortment of digital outputs: SPDIF, BNC, AES, optical.  So an external DAC like the ZDSD can be used I assume.  So my question is, it won't matter that my rips on the Mac are stored as AIFF, since the output will be SPDIF from the Transporter to the ZDSD?

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #198 - 08/27/15 at 22:56:33

I also am enjoying the ZDSD to ZMA to ERRx and with the recent acquisition of an Uptone Regen the sound has jumped up another notch, an excellent tweak if you're using USB. Really sounding sweet right now.

IP Logged
Tinman96
Verified Member

Reply #199 - 08/28/15 at 02:20:26

I am new to Decware I just ordered the monoliths with a 946 driver, the superzen UFO, and this will be my next purchase.  My past equipment did not have gain adjustment so riding gain will be a new to me, I know it is going to be mostly personal sound preference, but is there a good baseline to maximize the amount of volume I can get out of the superzen before it starts clipping?  I hope this question makes sense...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print